Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102308 times)

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10725 on: February 20, 2016, 01:42:52 pm »

Does anyone play the actual game, and learn from it, and become godlike without a Monty Haul package of prizes?
Yes on the first two (though how much I learn is debatable :P). As for the last point, I don't Monty Haul, but I've never become godlike either. :P

I can see both sides of the issue. On one hand, depriving oneself of challenge seems like depriving oneself of fun (unless, like Droggarth, you have good reason to.) On the other hand, Dwarf Fortress is so open-ended and so intricate that playing god is fun in itself, and Adventure Mode is so unfinished that honest-to-goodness questing is variably fun (though Toady has taken strides in fixing this, recently.)

Thank you for understanding me and seeing the both sides. Ways back in the school days when I came home I was just so sick of it all and at some point bought and started playing Neverwinter Nights and even completed the main story with my modified super Half-Orc barbarian and it was fun, however what was not fun was doing school slavery and that constant nagging. I had to quit school at 9th grade because I was about to kill myself if it were to continue (education doesn't mean jack shit if I can't remember what I learned last year and I'm under CONSTANT mental turmoil). I'm still recovering to this day from the mental damages done by school and from many other things. Point is when things get too stressful I either throw out my rage or struggle to contain it.

To the people like Uzu. To you I say: Yes I am a cheater and yes that's fun for me. Now move along and let me play my game.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: February 20, 2016, 02:46:57 pm »

Whenever someone 'shares' their character's greatness when they only just got started, all I hear is "My Mary Sue is so Sueish!" That's not entertaining unless it's satire, but you aren't even conscious of how you sound.
Just for you Uzu (that spear was from an hour sifting through crap in a dorf hamlet, forts are too laggy, towns are much more fun right now, yes I jizzed over finding it) here I am after zooming along on a minecart since I found a region at the border of two embark tiles with no trees in the way. I was hauling all sorts of ass when I saw a hill and before I could do anything like jump off and grab a tree I was laying there unconscious with a broken arm:

Then I got my cart and traveled away to heal, then rode (more carefully) to a nearby hamlet that I heard had one of my dragons there. Flying, intelligent, with bones that are denser and harder than steel, with scales that can turn aside steel weapons remarkably well.

I stabbed it and dodge away, blocking the fire with my shield, but then the weapon lodged in the side of the big fuckers neck as it clawed me in the arm, fucking up my motor nerve so I lost hold of it.

I dodged and tried to hop away but got caught on fire, and well... that's all she wrote:

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: February 20, 2016, 03:19:02 pm »

Whenever someone 'shares' their character's greatness when they only just got started, all I hear is "My Mary Sue is so Sueish!" That's not entertaining unless it's satire, but you aren't even conscious of how you sound.
Just for you Uzu (that spear was from an hour sifting through crap in a dorf hamlet, forts are too laggy, towns are much more fun right now, yes I jizzed over finding it) here I am after zooming along on a minecart since I found a region at the border of two embark tiles with no trees in the way. I was hauling all sorts of ass when I saw a hill and before I could do anything like jump off and grab a tree I was laying there unconscious with a broken arm:

Then I got my cart and traveled away to heal, then rode (more carefully) to a nearby hamlet that I heard had one of my dragons there. Flying, intelligent, with bones that are denser and harder than steel, with scales that can turn aside steel weapons remarkably well.

I stabbed it and dodge away, blocking the fire with my shield, but then the weapon lodged in the side of the big fuckers neck as it clawed me in the arm, fucking up my motor nerve so I lost hold of it.

I dodged and tried to hop away but got caught on fire, and well... that's all she wrote:

To quote Simon from Yogscast: "Balls to it, Lewis. Balls to it."
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: February 20, 2016, 03:37:53 pm »

I started a new adventure with the intent of becoming a brawling bard, the first few fights were short but, a nearby child decided she didn't like that I was beating up various people, so she decides to come fight me herself, I didn't expect much since she was a child but she was very persistent, even after getting beaten badly she continues to fight she was even able to scratch my face and knock out some teeth, eventually a nearby bowmen decided he wanted to fight to, I try and fight them both but it isn't going to well, eventually a third person decides to fight me, I'm getting tired at this point so I yield and walk away. Later I ended up fighting with the child again, this time she scratched my other cheek in return I break her lower spine crippling her for life. I'd say that's a fair trade.

I decided to do some dancing and after awhile someone decided to sing and dance with me, he was doing fairly well so I asked him to join me as an entertainer, I then created a traveling troupe and practiced our singing and dancing together. After I got my dancing skill up to novice I decided it was time to go to the nearest town and  perform, this town seems to have a problem though, it seems to have vampires and undead and possibly may have other unwanted inhabitants. After seeing a zombie yeti I decided that this may not be the safest place for me and my companion. I decided to recruit a swordsman for protection.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: February 20, 2016, 03:43:57 pm »

Later I ended up fighting with the child again, this time she scratched my other cheek in return I break her lower spine crippling her for life. I'd say that's a fair trade.

"Not in the faaaace! For that, I must break you."
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: February 20, 2016, 04:22:51 pm »

It is amusing when an overpowered character allows for shenanigans right off the bat. Or have you never modded bronze colossi to be playable? X3
Yes, for an experience so unremarkable that I didn't bore anyone by remarking on it. The character plays as you would expect it to.
I found this quote hilarious because my memorable moment in adventure mode came from playing a pacifist Bronze colossi... mostly due to lack of arms from fighting a titan and losing the kill to a goblin companion leading to a pacifist nature, AND setting up mass destruction of major sites so that they all have to migrate to an elven resort, said elven resort was home to the faction who made the titan their leader that the goblin killed.
needless to say the whole thing broke into a war where dwarves and humans migrants are fighting native elves while the elven princess who I formally talk to was PISSED about the whole thing and wanted my bronze colossus dead.
with all that said I'm prepping myself for seeing what Dark ages 42.06 would bring what with all the weird monsters and spells and junk the possibilities of losing in this would be wonderful. oh and to cool off from a series of failed adventure mode test projects. kinda wonder if toady fix the whole natural skill doesn't stack on the adventurer starting skills issue and any creature you mod in to play as will be weaker than the one you find in the wild?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: February 20, 2016, 04:52:26 pm »

Also? just because you're OP doesn't mean you're immortal. Any lasher can tell you that in the most eloquent way they know how. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: February 20, 2016, 06:14:45 pm »

Also? just because you're OP doesn't mean you're immortal. Any lasher can tell you that in the most eloquent way they know how. o3o
I'm not OP, and yet lashers don't hit me.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: February 20, 2016, 06:34:33 pm »

Though technically that is the key disadvantage to playing a bronze colossus. Not being able to heal would be more relevant if you could gain skill in dodging. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: February 20, 2016, 06:41:57 pm »

I am overpowered yet there remain things scarier than I am, and it was fun to work my way up to being this powerful, I get to tell folks about all the things I killed to reach this point, the pile of bodies I'm standing on to stand so tall. Better yet, they're grateful in this version, they appreciate my work ridding the world of some of these terrifying beasts (which aren't like the delicate vanilla ones that fall apart if you breathe at them too hard) and even the bandits I beat up, which were originally a dangerous enough threat to take seriously, but now are just something to toy with, are all enough to get me greeted by strangers and thanked, and free booze. That is why I do it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: February 20, 2016, 06:43:56 pm »

Funny coincidence, the only time I've used my masterwork silver whip was against a bronze colossus. My knife skill was still low, so even with were-strength my dagger kept glancing away. After I fractured it enough I could finally start cleaving and dismembering. This is also the only whip that has been used against this character, and as soon as I saw it incoming, I took hold of it first and dodged second.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: February 20, 2016, 07:00:16 pm »

Yep. Though I'll readily admit, there are few things as satisfying as being a living god of war...as a kobold.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: February 20, 2016, 07:51:42 pm »

Just keeping a party alive is my challenge. Before any of them joined me, I'd already fought at least one of everything except a Demon Master, and wasn't threatened by anything except webbers. I'm sure this whole experiment would've folded if we weren't a wereclan.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: February 20, 2016, 07:57:06 pm »

Okay, I'll concede that. Keeping AI companions alive may well be the ultimate challenge. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: February 20, 2016, 10:28:22 pm »

well it's one challenge, I'm mostly on the hunt for different challenges and tasks that aren't bragging about kills in adventure mode.
so currently nothing really exiting happen in dark age mod outside of finding a night troll and some kind of warrior pod person fighting near the river,
made friends with an orc swordsman and enchantress mage dwarf and gave the enchantress a gun with 3 clips of silver bullets,
just found a great lion beating up some ostriches and figured this would be a great time to test my party skills... also get something to eat.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1104