Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102657 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10590 on: February 13, 2016, 01:04:28 pm »

Derp. In vanilla DF, plump helmets aren't harvestable as an adventurer. And harvesting in adventure mode hinges on growth tokens in the plant definition. This is what makes leaves, fruit, flowers etc pickable.

If the edible/important part of a plant is the fruit, then it can be picked as an adventurer when it's in season. But if the important part of a planet is regarded as being the whole plant, or the "structural" part (code-wise, the desired item uses item token "PLANT" instead of "PLANT_GROWTH"), it doesn't have a harvestable growth for the important bit by default.

Instead it's meant to be obtained by farming or by plant gathering, both of which are fortress-mode actions that don't have a direct parallel in adventure mode.

Though I would assume by now that other modders have implemented the idea of "faked" growths in various plants to allow harvesting the structural plant when it's in season, not just me and...um. I could've SWORN I got the idea from someone else. Either that or some related idea another modder discussed inspired me.

I know I got the idea from someone, but I can't recall if the inspiration was direct or indirect. I DO firmly recall that my take on it started as adding a harvestable source of wood to trees, THEN I expanded it to make plants harvestable.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: February 13, 2016, 01:09:37 pm »

I think there was something vaguely similar in one of the wanderer's friend versions but it wasn't as implemented as yours I don't think.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: February 13, 2016, 01:11:53 pm »

I think there was something vaguely similar in one of the wanderer's friend versions but it wasn't as implemented as yours I don't think.

Most likely, but unsure. I know that the old-school WF versions have a "conjure logs from thin air if you have a battleaxe" reaction, so I know that was what led me to look into adding an alternative (and more tree-dependent) way to get wood. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: February 13, 2016, 01:56:38 pm »

I'll give you wood, baby.

I just got revenge on the dragon that killed Buket, then returned to my starting hamlet to kill the dragon that was there (I smartly traveled away immediately upon loading in) and take care of the bandit problem.

Chased them back to the camp across a mountain range, gonna leave the survivors with no facial features, cause it's what I do.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: February 13, 2016, 02:07:53 pm »

Everyone knows that punching trees gives you wood. :V

So, I hunted down a night troll that the resident lord ordered me to slay, along with its spouse. Had a few...issues returning to town. Something in the woods at some point in-between is making the game crash unless I try to take a less direct route back home. >.<
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: February 13, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »

Could be a camp that spawned a tent in trees, I had big armies do that to me before.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: February 13, 2016, 02:23:20 pm »

Could be a camp that spawned a tent in trees, I had big armies do that to me before.

That has to be the weirdest crash-inducer I've ever heard. Annoyingly, I didn't see any travel blips, so no real sign of what and where the cause is.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: February 13, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »

trying to make a mod where you can engrave images on to your weapon... slowly wondering if that's not possible.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: February 13, 2016, 03:15:33 pm »

Hmmm, I know when dfhack gets around I'm gonna try to see if I can get the image choosing interface opened up like I did with the names trick Mifki showed me, still gotta fix that since it isn't named subscreen:3 anymore I don't think.

OH, btw, if a sentient body is already dead, like the ones in tombs and catacombs, you CAN use those bones.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: February 13, 2016, 03:28:17 pm »

Hmmm, I know when dfhack gets around I'm gonna try to see if I can get the image choosing interface opened up like I did with the names trick Mifki showed me, still gotta fix that since it isn't named subscreen:3 anymore I don't think.

OH, btw, if a sentient body is already dead, like the ones in tombs and catacombs, you CAN use those bones.

oh I guess because they start out dead, and not tied to a historical character. like their wild animal corpses or something.
like you can't resurrect those dead with out having the game crash trying to find a non existing character to cram back into it's body.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10600 on: February 13, 2016, 04:36:01 pm »

oh I guess because they start out dead, and not tied to a historical character. like their wild animal corpses or something.
like you can't resurrect those dead with out having the game crash trying to find a non existing character to cram back into it's body.
Nice discovery!

You do rarely get skeletons in catacombs of historical figures, its much rarer then the "entity populaton" skeletons though and they have a name tied to them. SO presumably you couldn't use those bones if you cam across them?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10601 on: February 13, 2016, 04:38:28 pm »

Derp. In vanilla DF, plump helmets aren't harvestable as an adventurer. And harvesting in adventure mode hinges on growth tokens in the plant definition. This is what makes leaves, fruit, flowers etc pickable.

If the edible/important part of a plant is the fruit, then it can be picked as an adventurer when it's in season. But if the important part of a planet is regarded as being the whole plant, or the "structural" part (code-wise, the desired item uses item token "PLANT" instead of "PLANT_GROWTH"), it doesn't have a harvestable growth for the important bit by default.

Instead it's meant to be obtained by farming or by plant gathering, both of which are fortress-mode actions that don't have a direct parallel in adventure mode.

Though I would assume by now that other modders have implemented the idea of "faked" growths in various plants to allow harvesting the structural plant when it's in season, not just me and...um. I could've SWORN I got the idea from someone else. Either that or some related idea another modder discussed inspired me.

I know I got the idea from someone, but I can't recall if the inspiration was direct or indirect. I DO firmly recall that my take on it started as adding a harvestable source of wood to trees, THEN I expanded it to make plants harvestable.

Yep, I derped. Like i said "Though I may very well be mistaken."
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: February 13, 2016, 05:36:09 pm »

I have crossed the river, killed a pike. Finally my moose man has a pike skull helm, pike bone greaves, and pike scale armor in his size. And upon returning to Lord Pebu?

EDIT: And I'm sent after a lair right next to the one I just cleared out. I should've purged both lairs.

EDIT 2: Night has fallen and on the way to the lairs, I intercepted a travel blip. After first braining a passing chubby rattlesnake, I saw two faint motes of blue in the darkness...a skinny crone mate of the night revealed itself to me.

I checked the monster decription, and...Kas? That's my target. The hunter becomes the hunted.

EDIT 3: Kas had suffered an acute case of Cataclysm DDA Syndrome. Never underestimate a moose.

EDIT 4: After the break of dawn, I swept through both lairs to ensure nothing else haunted the area, then returned. I also told Pebu of the other night crone thing that I killed alongside my first target, then asked for another task. This time it's just a troglodyte. Milord implores me to enjoy the hunt. And indeed I shall.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:08:26 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: February 13, 2016, 07:34:59 pm »

Finally gave Dwarf Fortress a try, then some more tries (was figuring out what modifications to do for my customized super dingo man.. Dingoth in my game now). Am now a gigantic Dingoth female with incredible muscles, hair color is sandy taupe and skin color is cinnamon. Eyes are the only thing that remain orange for that race apparently from what I've seen. I left the dingo man racial sizes untouched as I was adding useful cheaty stuff to the race (faster heal rate and a few tags to make my life easier, oh and a more in depth description for the race) and am now wondering how big is "average-sized for a dingoth".

Anyway, onto to my proper current in game adventure in The Legendary Realm ..how appropriate for me adventuring female beast. She's a Demigod from Dateocean human hamlet that's somewhere in the middle of the realm and am doing no quests for anybody at the moment as I'm still fairly new to all of this and decided to head towards east to The Towers of Craft in the hopes of finding actual towers with useful loot.

On her way there three wolves attacked and just striking them down while hacking one of their legs off was not enough I hacked their necks off too.. well she hacked while I'm some sort of a demon possessing her. I gotta say that silver battle axe she started out with came really useful and since it's silver I take it that once a werebeast or something shows up she'll have easier time killing it.

The point of this post is I guess is to say hi to the community and let you all know that I'm not your usual new player. I'm sick of majority of the RPG games never offering you the ability to play a beastly race so yeah. Dwarf Fortress ahoy!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:41:40 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: February 13, 2016, 07:50:02 pm »

I just sleep near a frozen lake and...

Well can somebody explain what just happened ?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:54:33 pm by Kait »
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1104