Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102911 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10485 on: February 09, 2016, 11:45:59 am »

Gotta be further up in the tree.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: February 09, 2016, 11:58:03 am »

bogeyman can climb and some can fly so climbing trees is not useful.
this thread is very long, so I was unable to read all of it. people keep saying they crafted something, so what mods were they using?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: February 09, 2016, 12:11:45 pm »

this thread is very long, so I was unable to read all of it. people keep saying they crafted something, so what mods were they using?

I'm using some reactions I made after looking at the reaction_adventurer.txts in Deon's Wanderer and Random_Dragon's Adventurecraft. You can use what they have or muck around and mod in your own. You do need to regen a new world though.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: February 09, 2016, 12:13:47 pm »

Just enable them and you can see them again.

Also leave a trail of gore and bodyparts.

The trail of gore sadly got scattered all other the place because I presumably traveled enough to offload the area around the cave. Still seeing random cyclops teeth on my way back out of the cave. o3o

There are multiple examples of mods adding adventure mode reactions, most of them having their origins in Wanderer's Friend ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61304.0 ). In my case I' using my own derivative Adventurecraft ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=153036.0 ).

EDIT: And yes, for extra confusion, both Lofn AND Deon have a mod titled...oh wait. Deon's is now called DF Wanderer, I could've sworn it used to share the same name with Lofn's mod.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:15:20 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: February 09, 2016, 12:42:47 pm »

bogeyman can climb and some can fly so climbing trees is not useful.
I'm just using adv-fort, which enables (most) fortress jobs in adventurer mode. You can build any of the workshops and furnaces using the same components, and produce from them with the required inputs. You can also chop trees, dig/mine, and you can actually use the furniture installed in the world and construct your own.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: February 09, 2016, 01:56:31 pm »

There's also the adventure-fort plugin for DFHack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123944.0

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: February 09, 2016, 03:33:45 pm »

Another thing about adv-fort (which is the same thing adventure-fort, dummy) is that you can only craft items that your civilization can produce. If your culture doesn't wear trousers, you can't make them, and only characters from dwarven civs can produce steel bars and adamantine wafers.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: February 09, 2016, 03:35:16 pm »

I do tend to favor modding efforts that don't require DFHack, admittedly. -w-
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: February 09, 2016, 03:42:14 pm »

If I saw a mod with reactions strictly drawn from the game content, then I would favor it. But IMO mods that depart from it even a little are on a slippery slope to Monty Haul. And each one that I've scratched the surface of has been just that -- just a giveaway package of benefits that take the game out of the game.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: February 09, 2016, 03:49:29 pm »

Hmm. Whereas I at least tried to keep most of the reactions in Adventurecraft limited by additional materials and tools, though in many cases it still keeps some logical steps abstract.

It DOES get full Monty Haul if you make full use of it in an extant civilization, but the intended game balance is at its best away from civilization.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: February 09, 2016, 03:57:15 pm »

I've just added a few reactions that let me make stuff out of anything. I just like to make demon bone crutches or masterwork steel two-handed swords or angel cloth clothes.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: February 09, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »

What, no angel cloth swords? Or things like this:

That's what happened when I tested one version of Deon's mod. I STILL have no idea why skulls work for him, when I had to take an entirely different approach to make it function.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: February 09, 2016, 04:17:15 pm »

I lean towards keeping it pretty simple. My reactions allow you to make bows out of wood (the standard bow made of metal is just odd), stone arrows (only 5 per batch), and stone spears. These seem to be in keeping with forester/ranger types out in the wild.

I pass on having any of the more rigorous reactions that would be out of flavor for this playstyle. But that's just my take, since you pretty much should do what will give your world the best feel.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 04:21:50 pm by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: February 09, 2016, 04:26:01 pm »

Ah, right. In the case of bows, I see it still includes refining branches into bowstaves, whereas for me I skipped that step in the case of bows.

Actually, as I already have generic staves, I probably could make bows take generic staves and thus allow both wood and bone staves be made from the same reaction. Then make the relevant skill bowyer, and I cease to have the main reason I separated them.

The wider array of weapons and forging scrap metal armor was due to it being requested though.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: February 09, 2016, 05:54:43 pm »

I met a bandit outside a town, and she attacked me. I knocked her unconcious, stole her money, and waited. When she woke up I attacked her until she surrendered, then I started trading, and used HER money to buy her coat from her.

Unfortunately, when I left, she stopped me and attacked again (maybe realizing what I did), and this time a random hit to the neck killed her.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 1104