Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2103590 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10410 on: February 02, 2016, 03:14:04 am »

@garn

A steel pike will have better penetration through armor than an iron one simply because the material is harder. Without armor, the iron pike will probably be just as effective against everything /except/ a bronze colossus. Bronze is tougher than iron, as a matter of fact, meaning iron weapons will more likely than not deflect off the colossus harmlessly. Of course, a pike is a poor weapon anyway simply because a pikes' value is in penetrating internal organs (which colossi don't have) through armor. An axe or longsword would work better, since the best way to dispatch them is decapitation.

A masterwork iron shield will not hit harder than a copper shield, simply because the copper is significantly denser: it makes a much better bludgeon.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: February 02, 2016, 04:42:01 am »

I thought I heard that bronze was less tough than iron. I guess there's not consensus on that.

So how does one find steel or better items in adventure mode? I haven't been playing very much, but I have not yet seen them.

I just fought my first Roc. I was expecting a long, difficult, and potentially lethal fight, but I actually dispatched it pretty quickly. After a few rounds of fighting, I knocked it unconscious by punching it in the head. It went down pretty soon after that. I'm pretty surprised I was able to do that, especially since I'm only a dabbling striker. On the other hand I am a proficient fighter, I have superhuman strength, and I was focused. Still...

Here are the logs of the whole fight:

Out of curiosity, do your punches hit harder if you're wearing metal gaunlets?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:49:51 am by Galap »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10412 on: February 02, 2016, 06:25:50 am »

No idea about the metal gauntlets improving punches, but right now to my knowledge you can only find steel items in bandit camps, either worn by them or scattered on their piles. Candy equipment you need to make yourself in fort mode, it won't show up anywhere with just randomly genned sites.

You can get divine equipment though, which IIRC is just as good.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: February 02, 2016, 10:38:11 am »

does a weapon that has menacing spikes made of iron hit harder than it would otherwise?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: February 02, 2016, 02:02:41 pm »

Decorations, such as spikes, don't do anything save for making items more expensive.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: February 02, 2016, 04:19:36 pm »

I've decided that this incompletable quest is a sign for me to start exploring the world, spread my name, and kill as many Megabeasts as I can. I found a volcano on the way, so i should go back to the Necro Tower at some point and toss their damned Slab and fanfiction into the bowels of the earth.

On my journey North, I came across a large Elvin village, that for some reason, all the citizens were living inside of huts and tents instead of in their tree homes. After walking into the village itself, I am attacked by random sand/dust storms that materialize out of the air! Despite us not being near a desert, and being in the middle of a Forest too... One of these storms managed to pick up my Elephant Man and toss him into a tree, smashing his arm and knocking me unconscious. Thankfully I was able to heal from that injury. I don't know whatever God or circumstance that is bringing their wrath upon these Elves, but I can't help taking joy in their suffering.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: February 02, 2016, 04:29:57 pm »

This game is strange.
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: February 02, 2016, 04:40:21 pm »

This is a perfect non-sense dialogue.
You should persuade him to stop selling death stick and rethink his life. :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:43:57 pm by Inarius »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: February 02, 2016, 05:27:04 pm »

I chose the subterranean route to the master due to the putrid sludge -- I never want to see the skies over the Glaciers of Grief again. A Dark Pit on the verge of it let me down easily to the 3rd layer, only 4 world tiles from the Dark Fortress. The trip was quick and uneventful, but finding the Spire in a Fortress that spans an entire map tile wasn't. The deep cavern creatures who had been absent so far heavily populated the place -- more leathers and fun for everyone. The place was end-to-end with pits with holes straight down to magma, so eventually I just grabbed a side of rock and went up to the top of it.

That didn't shorten my search; no one was moving around anywhere, so I couldn't follow them back to the Spire. In fact the only two beings I saw were fellow performers in my troupe, and they were simply moving between apartments and the nearest pits. I had to criss-crosss the whole map in order to locate the Spire again. I climbed to the throne room and found nothing but the garbage and bodies I left behind last time I was there. No master appeared, or anyone else for that matter, no longer how long I lingered, playing music and dancing. I claimed the throne for The Round Side of Balls, then sat on it with my giant alligator kidney roast, and ate it. Nobody cared.

I'm afraid I will have to abort this quest. I'm ready to move on, east via underground to the dwarven civ. Why can't the damn goblins build underground roads?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: February 02, 2016, 07:51:07 pm »

On my journey North, I came across a large Elvin village, that for some reason, all the citizens were living inside of huts and tents instead of in their tree homes. After walking into the village itself, I am attacked by random sand/dust storms that materialize out of the air! Despite us not being near a desert, and being in the middle of a Forest too... One of these storms managed to pick up my Elephant Man and toss him into a tree, smashing his arm and knocking me unconscious. Thankfully I was able to heal from that injury. I don't know whatever God or circumstance that is bringing their wrath upon these Elves, but I can't help taking joy in their suffering.

It could be cave ins from bad tree placement. Something about roots being generated incorrectly, or something like that.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: February 02, 2016, 08:13:06 pm »

Massive metropolis.

Everything is abandoned or ruined.

UNBELIEVABLE LAG near the keep.

Hit reveal and check... the keep is PACKED... so are the battlements, all civilians.

Wuuut

Check the pops export, 300~ humans, 300~ goblins, 10,000 dorfs.

Double-wuuuut

Check open-legends, look through the history, the town does nothing but celebrations, processions, festivals... wait, something weird, after a certain point it looks like they kept repeating an event so I slow down and check... looks like the telling of a story about this one dorf being killed by another in year 79.

Huh, maybe it was a fad... *keep scrolling, every so often I see the story pop back up* well shit, every damn year they tell the story again, the other events change, but they always tell the story.

Then I notice the people sitting up on the walls around town and it clicks, I've stumbled into the modern df version of a cult.

10,000 people living there, abandoned buildings, almost no soldiers, why?

Armies send scouts out there, the scouts report "walls... chanting... piles of bodies" and run away crying and barfing. Nobody investigates further until some moron adventurer walks up like "hey mind if I join?" and starts telling a story about the time they told that story.

Incidentally the guy killed (Edem something) was a lord of the site for like 30 years, and the guy who killed them (Rimtar something the something of something) was kidnapped, integrated into goblin society, killed Edem, killed a few gobs and dorfs, then got killed. Not a were or vamp or anything.

I am afraid.

...send help.

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: February 02, 2016, 10:14:43 pm »

Massive metropolis.
[snip]
thats pretty strange

I've got an entire town with massive lag... and theres a criminal organization there too; when I'm on the outskirts of a halmet right next to it I'm fine but as soon as I walk onto the outskirts of the town; I get completely massive lag; it takes me 20-30 seconds to do anything(gladly it didn't crash), and takes maybe 20 seconds to offload the site so i can fast travel away

I'm not sure if I even wanna know whats going on in that town, but that town has a grey sun symbol on the world map instead of a + symbol

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: February 03, 2016, 12:08:07 am »

Might be the zombie bug, I don't usually have bad lag even in huge towns because people are normally spread out so you only load a few hundred at a time.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: February 03, 2016, 05:40:27 am »

Having an entire town's worth of civilians stuffed into the castle seems fairly common in dying worlds, but the rest of that is hella weird.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: February 03, 2016, 05:50:50 am »

Ughhh. Permanent nerve damage. Again.
What's the easiest way of modding that out, again? So that nerves heal, albeit slowly?
I'm really sick of adventurers being ruined because some random pleb got pissy and drew a knife during a brawl. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 1104