Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2103757 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10395 on: January 31, 2016, 07:46:15 pm »

Edit: I checked around the perimeter of the area, and when I come back, another 60 or so Undead pour out of the tower again! I've killed them all, and there aren't any new necromancers in the tower. Don't tell me I have to keep spawning Undead out of this place until the game runs out of them...
I think this should've been fixed before, or along with, nerfing them. If the necromancers are all dead, what's creating these undead? Did a wandering member of the cult stop by to park his zombie horde before heading out? Is the slab itself generating them? Having an endless supply of practice dummies isn't so bad, but you can't get any sense of completion out of the ordeal.
What I'm curious the most of is whether Undead count as members of the Necromancer group I'm supposed to kill. I'd imagine not, so the only thing I can guess other than the game being glitched, would be that one of the members of their Necro-fanfic group is out wandering around or on vacation somewhere away from the Tower. I don't even know how I would go about finding members of a group...
The game has so many moving parts now that I don't think Toady can remember what's connected to what unless players tell him. It's not glitched, it's just underdeveloped.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10396 on: January 31, 2016, 07:55:49 pm »

What items prevent curses?
Anything which gives [NO_AGING] apparently, since a couple of the megabeast buff items I modded in give that. Similarly being a vampire or werebeast or necromancer works.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10397 on: January 31, 2016, 09:20:04 pm »

The Pits where I paid my final respects to my vampire companion had an uninterrupted climb to the third cavern. Didn't see adamantine, but the blue stuff I wanted was a block of nether cap. 3u of magma-safe building material, to make furnaces anywhere. If only anvils were so portable. I'm glad I'm not traveling with real elves; they bitch about the weather but don't spare a moment's thought to me hacking down trees and burning them up for nothing more than brief experiments.

While I was building a persimmon block roof over the entire 27x27 shrine that I'd made base at, the lone goblins I'd intercepted before came to me instead. They'd just wander in, stand around vacantly until I introduced myself and got their names, and then I'd be lucky to get a shot in before my companions dogpile him. I hope those are the actual residents of Troubledmonsters, and not randomly generated without limit. That would make it difficult to keep my candidate isolated to the underground bunker I prepared. Due to the aquifer layer, I can't dig it any deeper than 2z down.

What items prevent curses?
Anything which gives [NO_AGING] apparently, since a couple of the megabeast buff items I modded in give that. Similarly being a vampire or werebeast or necromancer works.
Are you sure about the werebeast part? I could swear I played a werebeast who got hit with the curse.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: January 31, 2016, 09:37:25 pm »

[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:WERECURSE]

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: February 01, 2016, 02:36:46 am »

I took out a goblin camp that, for whatever reason had multiple weaponmasters, each wielding a masterfully crafted weapon, and some with masterful shields. I'm playing as a human pikewoman, so it was to my great pleasure that one of my enemies had a mastercraft iron pike!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: February 01, 2016, 04:15:29 am »

Have dwarves make towns and give them variable_positions and site_variable_positions, much more fun right now.
As somebody who is confounded on how raw editing works, can you describe this in explicit detail?

1. Go into entity_default.txt.
2. Change the DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE for the dwarven entity (it's the first one in the file, it's called ENTITY:MOUNTAIN) from CAVE_DETAILED to CITY.
3. Save file and regen world.

I'm honestly curious what results you'll get, since dwarves start exclusively in mountains and I haven't seen any other race, modded or otherwise settle their towns on mountains.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also add [SITE_VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] and [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] in the dwarf entity.
I wonder what would happen if I forced Goblins to conform to this City only living zones. Would Circus Spires cease to exist, and their Clown overlords would merely sit inside the Town Hall? Or perhaps Spires would simply sit somewhere in the Towns and behave as normal. This requires some experimentation.

How about making the Spires recruit animal-men instead?  You could have different animal-man Spires, "The Dark Parakeetman fortress of..." or "The Dark Scorpionman fortress of..." .  Let Goblins have towns just like humans, but prefer Deserts or Glaciers instead.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

L0rd L33t

• Bay Watcher
  • My Life for Auir!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: February 01, 2016, 01:24:16 pm »

I recently started my first adventure as Selvar SpottedFang the Mighty Avalanche, Jaguar man. As Selvar was drowsy, he decided to set camp and rest with his two fellow adventures, an axeman and crossbowman.

Unfortunately a Giant Grizzly Bear rushed in and mauled the axeman to death! At first Selvar feared he would be next as he only had basic equipment to fight such a massive beast. But as it turned out the Bear was stunned giving Selvar the opportunity to attack the bear without giving the opportunity to get back up. He landed a large barrage of scratching and biting attacks on the bear's head while the crossbow man shot at the huge bear's legs. The biting and scratching proved ineffective at getting through the huge wall of muscle protecting the bear's head. Not wanting to let the bear get back up Selvar pulled out his iron long sword and slashed the beast in the throat, then set to stabbing its head. The bear withstood even this for quite some time before finally bleeding to death.

While saddened by the loss of one of his allies, the bear provided enough meat to last a while (grabbed 12 bear meats out of 75(!)). Selvar then found a group of elves that would allow the Jaguar and  crossbow men to sleep in peace.

2 questions by the way...

-Whats the ideal amount of meat to carry?
-Do bear/feline men have clawed hands for stronger scratching attacks?
Tantrum Spirals in a Nutshell:
Dwarf 1 is throwing a tantrum!
Dwarf 2: A fight? Count me in!
Dwarf 2: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Dwarf 3: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Dwarf 4: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: February 01, 2016, 03:01:27 pm »

Not too long ago I created an adventurer in the current version named Asob Whiplessons, a male dwarf peasant; he has a large body, one large enough for him to singlegrasp a pike! He is not particularly important in the place I had the game spawn him in.

So long story short, I grinded his skills to legendary or near-legendary, got some good gear including his main weapon which is an iron greataxe which he uses with a copper shield, then grinded my skills some more then killed a troll, then 2 rocs and a giant alligator and giant snapping turtle, then went west and fought and killed a ribbon worm titan.

For a pretty long time I was using my iron greataxe against it; eventually I cut off both of its wings and its stinger, but it wasn't showing any signs of weakness; eventually my iron greataxe got lodged in one of its wounds, and I was forced to either use another weapon or risk dying as i struggle to pull out the iron greataxe; so I pulled out a steel mining pick that I traded some dwarf a bunch of meat and/or clothes for, and killed it in the first hit which hit the head, which tore its brain.

Then I went to an elven forest retreat and retired there for ~15 days, then I went to a bandit camp; strangely enough, there was only one single guy in that bandit camp; a dwarf necromancer, who was dispatched in one hit. I chose not to become a necromancer.

After that I went out further west to find a human town; that town's population was at the time, and last I checked, one goblin ranged weapon user and a goblin "commander", who is the leader of its civilization. When I got there the first time one goblin was freshly killed, but the killer got away. I soon went to an ambush tile * just north of the mostly abandoned houses and found a bunch of neutral goblins that started following me around, eventually they demanded I yield; I foolishly did then they started spitting on me, which kept missing or getting blocked. Then, they told me to drop my iron greataxe, then I took it out, stood up, and stopped yielding, and killed them all! After that I asked around about bandits and the like and went around and slaughtered bandit camps one by one; I got some good gear outta that, but nothing to replace my iron greataxe due to my skill in it. West of there was a human town with probably less than 5 people living in it, one of which was an elven leader of the civilization there. South of those human places were more elven forest retreats, I went there and slaughtered even more bandits surrounding them and (I think) got some more good gear out of it.

After that I went back north to that human town, and found the place completely empty, even the inside of the fort; presumably the town is completely empty now, all of its inhabitants presumably dead. I then decided to go northwest around a section of ocean that looks like a lake; it took me so long to go around that water that I had to sleep on a narrow beach where it was freezing(I made sure I was on a sand tile), or at least it would've been if I didn't have 3 campfires adjacent to me. I slept there for 8 hours and woke up "encased in ice", but for some reason I wasn't dead; thr campfires I'd made previously were gone, so I immediately created a campfire next to me, and somehow I'm still not dead.

After that I went further north, and went to a shrine, where I killed a bronze colossus with my steel mining pick by decapitating it, which actually didn't take that long, then I went a little northnorthwest to a cave whose entrance was occupied by goblins, probably using it as a makeshift bandit camp; of course those goblins aren't alive anymore.

Then, I made a mistake that could've ended my life. I went to the shrine where I killed the bronze colossus, set up a campfire or two, and went to sleep. I woke up getting hit in the head by a bogeyman, which bruised me; somehow I survived until I stopped being stunned by dodging out of the way of stuff, then when I got back up on my feet and had some bruises I killed the bogeyman, then I went to the cave entrance to find a place to sleep for the night, then unexpectedly, the sun started coming up, so I went northeast instead; there I coincidentally found a dragon's lair whose location was unknown to me before I came across it by foot. I went and snuck in there and ran out many times, but only four times did I attempt to attack it. The first time I tried to hit it, I snuck up on it and hacked at it very hard in the head with my iron greataxe; it just started bleeding "heavily", so I ran out of the cave and fast traveled a tile. Next time, I went back in and snuck up on it again, and I hacked it precisely in its throat, which surprisingly enough didn't cause any bleeding; it only tore the scale. I then ran out and fast traveled a tile again. The time after that, I went in yet again and snuck up on it, and that time I cut off its tongue, then ran away since it wasn't spraying blood all over the place; I ended up running away then too. Then the last time I fast traveled a tile and came back, I snuck up behind it, and swapped out my iron greataxe for a steel pike. With the first strike I stabbed it in the upper body severely hurt its middle spine, causing it to become a paraplegic on the spot. I then stayed there and ended up killing it, I think by stabbing it in the head but I'm not completely sure.

After that dragon died and I stole its three eggs(which I still have) I slept there for the night and went northwest and retired in a human village. When I unretired ~15 days later I went and started slaughtering more bandit camps. Recently I've gotten some pretty nice gear, including a <<☀silver flail☀>>, an <<☀iron shield☀>> , an <<☀iron pike☀>>, a silver whip, and some decorated masterwork socks, hoods, cloaks, and a pair of mittens too, thats where I currently am.

Now I ask you guys, is an <<☀iron pike☀>> better than a steel pike? Does an <<☀iron shield☀>> hit harder than a copper shield?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:03:51 pm by Garn »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: February 01, 2016, 04:44:53 pm »

-Whats the ideal amount of meat to carry?
-Do bear/feline men have clawed hands for stronger scratching attacks?
- A good stock of food varies by encumbrance, local sources, diet. You're a CARNIVORE, so you can't just scrounge berries from the hamlets. You should take away the limit of what you can, without slowing yourself down, until you're sure you know where more meat is available, such regions full of game, meat markets in a town, etc.
- Animal folk inherit all the material layers of the creature from which they derived, so some get ivory, tougher hides, etc. But I don't think the big cats get any better nails or teeth than humans do. From experience as a Cougar Man, I don't think I'm scratching much better than a human would.

[tldr snip]
Nice story, bro.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: February 01, 2016, 08:14:44 pm »

After searching Legends Mode, it seems that a random goblin that has had no history up until this point outside of being born a couple hundred years ago was made the Captain of the Necromancer group around time that I killed their previous leader. I brought back my adventurer in my copy file and checked out the tower, noticing that a frightened Goblin came running out of the Tower fleeing the horde of Undead. After chasing after her and killing her, my Quest is still listed as having not been completed.

After all this mess, I'm honestly too tired to bother seeing if the quest will be completed if I then slay all the Undead in the tower now that all of its leaders are slain, so that will have to wait until later...

Edit: My curiosity got the better of me, and I pressed on to kill all the Undead, still no completion. I then retire, and suddenly another random Goblin that has nothing to do with the area has been made the Captain of the Necromancer group! Where do I go to report this strange working of the game?

In other news, i encountered a Giant Cougar bestowed with one of the most badass names I've seen this game randomly produce. Lightningstrangles
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:36:01 pm by Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: February 01, 2016, 08:43:48 pm »

Found a deadzone in this new 250 yr world. One of the ☼ towns I came across cause(d/s) a crash upon approach during fast travel.

Well, there are also megabeast bears and hippos with [INTELLIGENT][POWER] running various towns these days. If I have the time tomorrow, I'll slow travel in and have a look.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: February 01, 2016, 08:48:40 pm »

hippos with [INTELLIGENT][POWER] running various towns these days.
This can only be a good thing.

Mud, mud, glorious mud!
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: February 01, 2016, 09:02:25 pm »

Now I ask you guys, is an <<☀iron pike☀>> better than a steel pike? Does an <<☀iron shield☀>> hit harder than a copper shield?

From what I noticed, yes and no. Yes, masterwork iron is better than unimproved steel/copper against flesh, and no, it's no more useful than normal iron weapons against metal armored humanoids or monsters (such as bronze colossi).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:04:34 pm by ShinQuickMan »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: February 01, 2016, 09:03:11 pm »

Well this full moon came together nicely, as fucked up as the coordination was. I was a little late to start preparing, then discovered some unpredictable properties of shrine sites that necessitated finding a secure equipment stash. And my candidate didn't stay put in her bunker, everyone scattered all over the map, so the great roof I built to shelter me from listening to them bitch about getting snowed on was pointless. The old lady was tough, and very dangerous with the crossbow -- I actually had to get the shield out for protection. Her Armor Use and Agility were so high I had to strip off all her body armor, even the kenaf cape, just to get my teeth into her blood. That done, I skipped off site for a moment and returned from a different direction to see her. She was still plenty pissed at me, so I took off before she took it out on one of the other companions.

So I collected the Poet and went to storm Troubledmonsters. We found and cleared the remaining goblins that, along with the ones we'd slain in the outlying region, accounted for the full population. But they were all simple grunts, without a leader in sight. Instead we ran into him later, a blinking goblin with a sword, so close to my camp that I worried for a moment my Swordgoblin companion had wandered after us. But no, he was simply 'leader' for one moment and dead the next. So that wrapped up that, leaving only the master left to eliminate.

Without anything better to do, we spent the rest of the day in an evil swamp close nearby, beating on undead wildlife. A pack of capybara corpses in 42.04 are still pretty tough, and the Poet was well shredded until I made her a set of armor from their skins. And after maxing Misc Weapons, I let her have the serrated discs. Watching her in action reminded me of Ichi the Killer.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: February 02, 2016, 01:02:24 am »

I have perfected the Cuckoo maneuver.

If you get told there is no room for you at this town, just go up on the walls and wait til night then "accidentally" tackle people off the walls, and keep "tripping" over them or "mistaking them for tinder and lighting them on fire" until they stop being hearthspeople. Go back in the morning, possibly after a bath, and you're in like flint!
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 1104