Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2103738 times)

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10350 on: January 27, 2016, 07:28:43 pm »

I've been having horrible luck all day trying to generate a decent world in the latest version. My aforementioned encounter with the brigade of weapon-lords was in a horrible world consisting of over 70% ocean and mountains.

My second attempt was in a world that seemed infested by Goblins, if the gen map was anything to go by. My hometown was inhabited by nothing but Criminals, who were so ignorant of the outside world that I couldn't get a single quest location out of them. I went and explored all five of the surrounding towns, only to find them completely empty. I finally find a town hall with some activity inside, only for a crowd of screaming/naked Poets and Dancers with bundles of books in their arms to come running out the doors. An insurrection! Finally something to do! I unfortunately get a little too focused on the fighting, and before I realize it, wave after wave of hostile Goblins are pouring out of the lower staircases of the Hall, and I'm blocked in. I am swiftly overwhelmed and beaten to death by 30+ naked book-wielding Goblins...

Third generation attempt, and I finally see a world that seems somewhat decent, outside of there again being more Goblin civilizations than I'd like there to be. I end up starting in a Dwarven Fortress so deep down that I was unable to (T)ravel out of it, and had to spend over 40 minutes trying to find my way out of that lag-fest. It should also be noted that there wasn't a single Dwarf in this damn Fort, and none of the residents knew anything about anything, so again, no quests to be found. I still have yet to find any Towns or Hillocks that are inhabited.

I'm really starting to hate Gobbos and Criminal Organizations...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: January 27, 2016, 09:35:03 pm »

Have dwarves make towns and give them variable_positions and site_variable_positions, much more fun right now.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: January 27, 2016, 10:20:28 pm »

This fatman is holding the body of a night freak spouse that was slain by the Poet over a month ago and leagues away. I know he didn't have this in his inventory last time I went through his stuff. And if the Poet were carrying it all this way through 2 moons, I would've seen it. I know I wasn't carrying it, it's 229u! Where the hell could he have gotten this from?

EDIT: Even stranger; after I had him drop everything, I could see the body on the floor, but couldn't pick it up.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:16:30 pm by Uzu Bash »

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: January 28, 2016, 07:27:02 am »

Have dwarves make towns and give them variable_positions and site_variable_positions, much more fun right now.
As somebody who is confounded on how raw editing works, can you describe this in explicit detail?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10354 on: January 28, 2016, 07:32:36 am »

As somebody who is confounded on how raw editing works, can you describe this in explicit detail?

1. Go into entity_default.txt.
2. Change the DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE for the dwarven entity (it's the first one in the file, it's called ENTITY:MOUNTAIN) from CAVE_DETAILED to CITY.
3. Save file and regen world.

I'm honestly curious what results you'll get, since dwarves start exclusively in mountains and I haven't seen any other race, modded or otherwise settle their towns on mountains.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also add [SITE_VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] and [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] in the dwarf entity.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:34:50 am by ZM5 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: January 28, 2016, 12:54:07 pm »

Mountainous towns tend to be... weird, so I had them favor plains like humans do, and to  balance things out I had gobs settle mountains.

The worlds are busy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: January 28, 2016, 01:18:26 pm »

Made a few green glass serrated discs to finish off my Misc Weapon skills. They deal a bit better damage for their weight than daggers, though a little slower to attack. It has many advantages in throwing, however. Because they're made to be spinning weapons, they don't have a pommel side to bruise with -- they always deal their slice damage. It very often opens arteries and/or severs tendons and nerves. It doesn't happen often, but it is capable of beheading in one hit. That alone makes it superior to a dagger. I dual wield them and keep three in a quiver.

I should have noticed much sooner that cougarmen have STANCE_CLIMBER. It just didn't occur to me until I tried to step off a 1-z level drop with my hands full, and got the option to grab hold of the wall I stepped off of. So I can dual wield and climb, and if I dodge off a cliff in combat I don't have to hit the ground with full force.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10357 on: January 28, 2016, 01:51:36 pm »

Mountainous towns tend to be... weird, so I had them favor plains like humans do, and to  balance things out I had gobs settle mountains.
In what way are they weird, if I may ask?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: January 28, 2016, 03:11:28 pm »

I just noticed this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Other characters I've had never felt satisfaction and triumph in regard to killing. They were always horrified by it and they only killed beasts. Maybe it's because both instances for this character involved bandits?

It's both odd and disturbing.

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: January 28, 2016, 03:36:26 pm »

1. Go into entity_default.txt.
2. Change the DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE for the dwarven entity (it's the first one in the file, it's called ENTITY:MOUNTAIN) from CAVE_DETAILED to CITY.
3. Save file and regen world.

I'm honestly curious what results you'll get, since dwarves start exclusively in mountains and I haven't seen any other race, modded or otherwise settle their towns on mountains.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also add [SITE_VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] and [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] in the dwarf entity.
I wonder what would happen if I forced Goblins to conform to this City only living zones. Would Circus Spires cease to exist, and their Clown overlords would merely sit inside the Town Hall? Or perhaps Spires would simply sit somewhere in the Towns and behave as normal. This requires some experimentation.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: January 28, 2016, 04:13:23 pm »

The elevation changes don't link up well with the algorithms and you get really odd stuff with the keep connections, churches collapsing, sewers that jut up in parts of the road and are like 10 z below ground in others.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: January 28, 2016, 07:14:50 pm »

I was putting off replacing Lizardguy, whose spitting was annoying the hell out of me, but the opportunity was taken earlier than I expected. On the way back from the small and uneventful final town of the civ, we passed through a town we hadn't visited before. A Goblin Dancer immediately freaked out, and the Poet chose that moment to begin beating on lizardguy with the book I forgot I gave her. I think this is the moment Spearwoman had been waiting for, and fed up with his shit, she tore it out of him with a disemboweling move, then forcefed him his shit with a stab through the face.

So I was left with the load he was carrying, and the best choice to fulfill his purpose was an Elf Dancer, who was at least stronger than him, willing to perform, and I don't believe she'll spit on anyone. I'd like to replace her with a full bard, but I may not see one of those until I'm back in dwarven lands.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: January 28, 2016, 07:52:13 pm »

The elevation changes don't link up well with the algorithms and you get really odd stuff with the keep connections, churches collapsing, sewers that jut up in parts of the road and are like 10 z below ground in others.
Does that sound more awesome than it is?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10363 on: January 28, 2016, 07:58:22 pm »

Ah, ok. Thanks.

I wonder what would happen if I forced Goblins to conform to this City only living zones. Would Circus Spires cease to exist, and their Clown overlords would merely sit inside the Town Hall? Or perhaps Spires would simply sit somewhere in the Towns and behave as normal. This requires some experimentation.

Yeah they would disappear. I have a vrykul race who I initially made to live in dark forts, later on I changed them to cities. Demon leaders do not exist in their societies, also no spires or anything. I'd imagine it would be the same for goblins.

Feniks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: January 28, 2016, 09:45:57 pm »

1. So randomly I found a layer that I initially took for giants layer as I went to explore it there was just one lonely human inside after some conversation with him he knows nothing about world around him. The only rumors he knows are the one I told him. He is all naked has nothing on his person. I am suspecting him of beaing werebeast for now I recruted him am I right in my suspicion?

2. Hod do I wake mummy up? I tried bashing the doors stilling treasure and still no sign of him.
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 1104