Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2103897 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10335 on: January 24, 2016, 11:44:57 pm »

Found another burrow that should've been home to two moon horrors, and set up camp again, converted skin to leather, replaced my rotting clothes, and wrote another play. I'm kind of stretching out the summer months because I'm not looking forward to the freeze again. Traveling in local tiles has given me enough tolerance for the journey that I wouldn't mind a trip across a cavern layer. That sounds better than the blizzards and tundra in the near future.

EDIT: After briefly exploring three more empty lairs, I caught the scent of bug innards on the wind and jogged to the source. There were three moon horrors and two spouses, and they could fly. I thought everyone was doing well enough that I didn't need to draw my pick, but near the end of the fight Hammerlady was knocked out and took a crippling hit to her weapon arm. She could still draw the shield, which is 10u of divine metal, and used it well during the next fight, against 2 horrors and a spouse.

This time Whipchic was knocked out early, and I spent the rest of the battle trying to draw attention away from all directions, including up. It was a spinal injury, so I thought I would take her to camp to wait, then come back and give her a retirement bite in a few days. Unfortunately the nerve damage was complete enough that she suffocated after I asked her to wait and before I was able to travel out. I crafted a masterwork casket and dug her grave where she died, then recruited a swordsman from the raiders.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:44:28 am by Uzu Bash »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:09 pm »

Just noticed autoattacks on unconscious opponents no longer insistently target the head. Don't remember that in the devlogs but awesome.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: January 25, 2016, 01:59:09 pm »

Are you sure?

Code: [Select]
The Dwarf Carpenter punches The Hammerman in the head from behind with his right hand, bruising the muscle!
Lasher: I must withdraw!
The Dwarf Carpenter punches The Hammerman in the head from behind with his right hand, bruising the muscle!
The Dwarf Carpenter punches The Hammerman in the head from behind with his left hand, bruising the muscle!
The Dwarf Carpenter punches The Hammerman in the head from behind with his left hand, bruising the muscle!
The Maceman is no longer stunned.
The Hammerman regains consciousness.
The Hammerman gives in to pain.
You drink the dwarven rum [3].
You drink the dwarven rum [2].
You drink the dwarven rum.
You are starting to feel full.
You: Hello Zulban.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: January 25, 2016, 02:13:37 pm »

My attack was deflected by a helm, the follow up and all subsequent attacks were targetted at the body. Arena testing says this is a thing.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: January 25, 2016, 02:30:23 pm »

Maybe adventurer controlled autoattacks have a different aiming pattern now, I'll have to poke around and check it out. Could just be that the gobbo there only had a hood and cap on so the dorf just kept headpunching.

For like twenty pages, seriously, finally I kicked the gobbo to death for him.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: January 25, 2016, 03:03:46 pm »

Maybe adventurer controlled autoattacks have a different aiming pattern now, I'll have to poke around and check it out. Could just be that the gobbo there only had a hood and cap on so the dorf just kept headpunching.

For like twenty pages, seriously, finally I kicked the gobbo to death for him.
Looks like if the head is armored and the body isn't they'll target the body.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: January 25, 2016, 03:21:55 pm »

Auto-attack is for AI.

Recently I unintentionally bit a kestrel's head and knocked it unconscious, then walked away when I realized what it was. But I had one persistent companion who couldn't let it go. After finishing a protracted fight with a wolf pack about a screen's distance away, her viewfinder showed her distantly off in that direction. When I went to investigate, I found her still repeatedly and futilely whacking on this kestrel's head.

Tilogour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: January 26, 2016, 01:00:05 pm »

I love this reaction.
Give me moar of this!

BTW: This beast had "Village For Everyone" codex  :D

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: January 26, 2016, 05:05:19 pm »

I finally started a world in the latest version. Setting out from my hamlet with two eager soldiers in tow, we were to reach our goal (a Bandit Camp) in less than a day...

...that is, until we were ambushed by a battalion consisting of 16 heavily armed and armored weapon masters! Needless to say, we were slaughtered instantly. All I wanna know, is where the hell were challenges like this back when I was playing my legendary Mega-Beast Slayer? I go from playing an unstoppable slayer of men and beast who struggles to find anything that can oppose him, to getting stomped by overwhelming odds in less than one minute stepping foot outside my hamlet  :o

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: January 26, 2016, 08:00:46 pm »

Bandits train a lot more now, for sure. Lots of weapon masters around.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: January 27, 2016, 12:16:12 am »

The moon went full at dawn, giving me 12 hours to clean up the last of the moon horrors before weres left their lairs and started crawling the map. And the horrors were roving in packs of 2-5, with ~2:3 spouse ratio. Each entire household was about a dozen region tiles to the east of their lairs, which they never returned to, or even roamed from that spot. Do night troll types behave differently, or do they all behave like this now? At least one more of them is hanging out in the ocean. If I come back in a week I'll probably find them encased in ice.

I had planned to give Lady Hammer a farewell bite, so the Poet was left at the lair and the others left in a Tavern. Coordinating this wasn't easy, and when I came back to the camp where I had left her, she had moved to the center of it. I had to kite a few on the fringe away. There was one wrestler who was much tougher than he should've been, and I didn't realize he was wielding a pick until he swung it at me. Ah, that explains everything. I had to knock him out to shake him; I think I want to come back and recruit him later. Hammer Lady was also tougher than she should've been, and had high disease resistance. I tried to target her crippled arm since it's not going to get any better or worse, and after shaking her around by it a few times I had to peel her armor off to chomp on her body. But she was doing fine later; I caught her in wereform running south with all her gear in tow. Why is she traveling? "To take up my ladyship!" I'll visit her when I come back that way.

I also lost the swordsman because the idiot insisted on following me instead of staying at the Tavern. I ran into him once and managed to convince him to wait for me again before the Poet could go at him. But later on, after finishing some brewing in the lair, I came outside to find her coming back from his body. Oh well, I hardly knew him.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: January 27, 2016, 03:25:51 am »

Well, considering that this is the only thing they do, all day long (the rest of time, fighting, which is near), this is understandable.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10347 on: January 27, 2016, 05:49:07 am »

I noticed that in the few previous 42.xx versions.

Well, not neccessarily weapon masters, but bandit leaders always seemed to have some really high amount of skill - even as a demigod getting a hit on a leader was insanely difficult.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: January 27, 2016, 03:11:24 pm »

Yup, they dodge and parry like crazy too, all in all ordinary foes are much less... ordinary now.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: January 27, 2016, 06:36:29 pm »

Thirteen tombs and not one of them had an active mummy. I'd brought along a mummy dummy from the nearby camp, expecting to go back for more after using her up, but she was able to evade or deflect the traps and no mummies awoke. As we went through I kept loading her with sweet surplus gear that the others were too weak to wear, which greatly improved her trap resistance, and by the end she was fully clad in superior steel and wielding a superior spear. So I said, "Well done, and welcome to the team."

During the full moon I found a surprisingly welcoming werelizard in a distant cave. Diplomacy is probably his best tactic; he's not physically fit and not combat competent (can you picture a morbidly obese lizard man?) but he's got excellent social and performance skills. I think we could use another performer, and he can be the pack mule for all the books and instruments I'm collecting. He has a nasty spitting habit though; probably because he's an enemy of the entire civ. The Poet and I are not part of any site or civ, so fortunately for his health he isn't aiming it at us. Ringleader and Spearwoman could use the extra dodge practice. Spitters have no common sense; he doesn't realize who's holding the hammer and who's holding the gong, here.

In the next hamlet I traded Ringleader for a Crossbowman who actually had the strength to carry her own ammo. I would've let him keep the masterwork bow if he had made a single kill with it, but he hadn't been useful for anything other than carrying our backup booze, which is now the Fatman's job. I suspect this Xbow girl is living under an assumed identity. She appears to have elite skills and combat fitness, but her title is still simply Crossbowman. I'll have to keep an eye out for her thirst.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 1104