Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2103962 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10290 on: January 19, 2016, 05:55:41 pm »

You folks know you can talk to your diety to pray, and talk to animals to socialize, telling poems in the middle of nowhere is still making merry.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: January 19, 2016, 06:16:42 pm »

I've been a devoted worshipper of my goddess. She has one and only one job, nightmares, and she hasn't come through for me. I want a cool devotional form for her at least, and matching music and dance forms if it's not to much to ask. The dance forms I've got have shitty lyrics with lame themes. I have so many great poetic forms, but 1) I started with no skill in poetry and 2) none of them are set to music. I've got narrative, solemn and ribald forms to describe The Hunt, I've got narrative and ribald forms to describe alcoholic beverages, I've got half a dozen forms on immortality and I have satirical forms for past and current characters. I know there's got to be music and dance forms for some of these, but I just can't prise them out of these tightasses.

But the ones set to music? A form praising someone recently retired. Because my (former) civ doesn't like hard work or leisure time, they just live for retirement so they can do neither. There's another brief one praising mining that's like a smash mob number. When it starts, suddenly 4-8 people rush together, sing two lines, then scatter in separate directions. It's also a good way to capture an audience. And then there's one dance form that uses the same goddamn awful lyrics for every single example. The rest of them are set to one ceremonial style or another.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10292 on: January 19, 2016, 08:23:16 pm »

Welp, I guess it's about time to make a human supremacist adventurer and rid the world once and for all of the combined goblin/orc/elven/two-human/gnoll/naga/murloc/ogre menace.

Wish me luck, brothers.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: January 19, 2016, 08:26:39 pm »

Discovery: killing the people in a site to take it over and then waiting until you get a human in there and making them a hearthperson then giving them your position as lord lets you get quests from them normally, since I have a lot of dorf towns and they are buggy with hearthpeople positions.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10294 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:51 pm »

These girls are getting pretty roughed up; between the four of them, they have a full set of teeth remaining. At least the Poet will regenerate hers, and if my experiment is a success, I may begin a werelizard clan. The vampire is out of luck though; she'll just have to decay like the dead are supposed to. I'm not sure whether the Poet's liver damage is due to an injury or all the booze I've been pouring down her gullet. I'm turning into everyone's bartender.

I have one day to set up camp and get my non-werebeast trio to a tavern. Camps retain more modifications than a lair, and they save locations of all objects, so if I have to drop everything at once (literally everything,) it won't take a scavenger hunt to get it all back. I found that a paved road could very quickly be built as a ceiling, all it needs is one ledge to hang off of, and you can build the whole thing from the underneath. I think I'm putting a little too much time in to this considering that after the full moon, I'm only going to be back here once on the way to savage lands.

I also want to test whether this remains if I retire here. This was a Failed Evils camp, so if I claim it and retire here, will it still be a Failed Evils camp? Will I join the civ? That'll be easy enough to fix; just join a troubadour group to sever all ties to previous sites and civs.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: January 20, 2016, 01:25:26 am »

My demi-god vampire necromancer human adventurer has officially reached the point of "too strong", so I'm off on a quest to find a Spire.

On my trek across the continent where Legends Mode the ancient lore rumors one of these things to be, I stumbled upon a Goblin army encampment in the middle of night. I would've been perfectly fine to leave them be, but the guard on watch shouted "Intruder!" and they swiftly pounced upon my only companion at the time and killed them. In a fit of rage, I started killing the whole encampment. Whether it was fear or Bandit-tier intelligence, most of them just sat around in their tents, not fighting back, and complaining about how terrifying their predicament was. I'd say I'm doing their military a favor...

As I continued my journey the next day, the Goblins must have been pretty sore about being trounced, cause I was suddenly set upon by a massive ambush consisting of several dozen Goblins, six Trolls, and a couple of Beak Dogs. They swiftly learned why you don't mess with a  (somewhat) renowned Mega-Beast slayer, as I rendered about seven of their Goblins unconscious due to injuries, and was holding off their Trolls with relative ease.

Their morale seemed to take a big hit after I killed two of their Trolls. Their morale straight up left the room when I decided to use one of their Trolls' corpse as a bludgeon to kill the rest of them for a spot of fun. I'm not sure if any of them managed to escape, but maybe I managed to teach one of the slimy green jerks where their place is in the world, and they'll think twice about their reckless town take-overs and kidnapping. A man can hope... right?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10296 on: January 20, 2016, 09:47:10 am »

I'm hardly making progress with a city this laggy. It takes way too long just to drop companions off at a Tavern and get out of town, and now I no longer know wtf is causing save crashes, other than this city. All I can do about it is hold my breath when I see "Saving units".

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10297 on: January 20, 2016, 10:24:20 am »

Well, my adventure didn't go QUITE as planned.

Managed to cull a sizeable amount of non-human population (dwarves are tolerated, left them alone, human-derivativies such as vrykul and titans I also left alone), however a titan traitor managed to cut some nerves in one of my arms.

I killed the titan rulers of the town and took it for myself - thankfully neither the bards nor the soldiers in the keep turned on me, one even became my hearthperson after he saw me decapitating both the lord and the lady.

Gonna make another human and join Garithos's glorious confederation.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: January 20, 2016, 02:31:09 pm »

It worked! I had gotten the Poet into a good mood with a cup of river spirits and enough dancing to raise our rank. I was telling her the story about the moment I passed the curse to her when we both transformed. I carried on with the story, she still felt good, and we went out hunting together. I can detect her as a blue bush when she's in range but out of sight; very nice to have that clear an indicator. I expect collateral damage wherever I bring her, so I have to take care not to let her become an enemy of the civ while I hone her hunting skills. She's going to need a lot of skill to compensate for her low strength.

I don't think I'm going to induct Lady Hammer and Whipchic this moon, because I don't want to have to track them down later in a city this big and laggy. I left them in a tavern because that's where they'd be willing to wait longest, but I think a Meadhall or Drinking Mound would do for next time. It would be easier to pass the time up to transformation, and easier to find them after the moon wanes.

Axevamp is going to be the odd one out, but as a vampire she's probably used to it. I think the Lasher is going to take to it best, she's been the most successful killer. It's just a shame she hates every form of poetry, because in order to write good lyrics I'm going to have to write a lot of bad ones.

EDIT: Lairs without werebeasts, or roving dots on the map. I don't know why I would think to check the tunnels, but two were in the first and second tunnels I looked in. Still a third at large.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:30:22 pm by Uzu Bash »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #10299 on: January 20, 2016, 10:34:31 pm »

After essentially savescumming with retiring and unretiring an adventurer when a fight against a FB went south, I've scored my first true bisection on a humanoid. Feels good man.

Well, for Nidhe Radirlam the Noble Flight of Biting, Elite Wrestler Massive Fallen vampire. Not so much for that goblin.

EDIT: Somehow dodged 5+ tiles into a soil layer. Anyone else encountered this? http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9498
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:46:26 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: January 21, 2016, 04:43:35 pm »

My experiment has worked as well as I'd hoped, which is better than I'd expected. The Poet is in pristine shape, and a much improved shape after working out unarmed skills. I'd like to do the others one-on-one like this, but I may have to bump up the schedule. The vamp is out of the picture; while I was tanning all the hides we'd collected, they ran off after a panda, and the vampire never came back. She was pretty thirsty, so maybe she tried some funny business.

I realized that spending for starting ranks in swimming and climbing is unnecessary for any of the cat races. You have SWIMS_INNATE flag, which gives you maximum ability. You'll never develop skill and no amount of skill added will make a difference. You also have Legendary natural skill in climbing. You actually can develop this skill, and the associated attributes, but you can safely develop it from Dabbling rank. You even have a good chance of climbing the rock blocks of the first meadhall you see.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10301 on: January 21, 2016, 06:53:20 pm »

It worked! I had gotten the Poet into a good mood with a cup of river spirits and enough dancing to raise our rank. I was telling her the story about the moment I passed the curse to her when we both transformed. I carried on with the story, she still felt good, and we went out hunting together. I can detect her as a blue bush when she's in range but out of sight; very nice to have that clear an indicator. I expect collateral damage wherever I bring her, so I have to take care not to let her become an enemy of the civ while I hone her hunting skills. She's going to need a lot of skill to compensate for her low strength.

I don't think I'm going to induct Lady Hammer and Whipchic this moon, because I don't want to have to track them down later in a city this big and laggy. I left them in a tavern because that's where they'd be willing to wait longest, but I think a Meadhall or Drinking Mound would do for next time. It would be easier to pass the time up to transformation, and easier to find them after the moon wanes.

Axevamp is going to be the odd one out, but as a vampire she's probably used to it. I think the Lasher is going to take to it best, she's been the most successful killer. It's just a shame she hates every form of poetry, because in order to write good lyrics I'm going to have to write a lot of bad ones.

EDIT: Lairs without werebeasts, or roving dots on the map. I don't know why I would think to check the tunnels, but two were in the first and second tunnels I looked in. Still a third at large.

Reminds me of the "companions" from skyrim.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10302 on: January 21, 2016, 07:08:08 pm »

Okay what the hell, I got to the keep, saw Garithos fighting against a recruit.

Tried to aid him, after attacking the recruit both turn against me and Garithos severs my head.

What gives?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10303 on: January 21, 2016, 07:20:08 pm »

Okay what the hell, I got to the keep, saw Garithos fighting against a recruit.

Tried to aid him, after attacking the recruit both turn against me and Garithos severs my head.

What gives?

were they fighting with weapons or just punching each other?
The latter is a "brawl" and using weapons escalates it to "Lethal". WHich is probbabbly why they killed you.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: January 21, 2016, 10:10:53 pm »

Neptune Rimwaxed the Dwarf and her Dwarven drunks who happen to have shields and swords (and a guy with a knife who lost a hand but anywho) are traveling the world in search for adventure, and are probably gonna die.
EDIT: The guy lost his other hand, now resorting to kicking and biting
I imagine this is what he looks like
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:14:31 pm by Nep Nep »
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 1104