Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104297 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10110 on: January 03, 2016, 08:06:06 pm »

I was forced by the threat of overheating to stop worldgen at year 3010, but things look pretty neat anyway.

Sweet zombie Jesus what.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10111 on: January 03, 2016, 08:29:52 pm »

Holy schist, this is literally my most chaotic adventurer and weirdest world by far. Long post.

I took over a town which had no government, retired then unretired to restore the temples, became a vampire, then went over to a tower to get biomancer powers.

Afterwards, I recruited two biomancers in the tower after doing a little jig with them, a titan recruit and an orcish swordsman, then headed over to a nearby group of villages that have been occupied by a vrykul civ. I killed the administrators in each one, including the town.

There was a massive bloodbath in the keep, where I lost my orc companion (the titan ran off somewhere, no idea where he is). Body parts kept getting reanimated. I strangled the vrykul that lost consciousness, in order to preserve their bodies for zombie companions. Just chaos in general. Eventually wiped out their presence from the whole area - it appears that it does affect something as the village icons changed from a white to a blue colour on the map.

I headed back south, in order to get to the towers on the other side of my seat of power. Decided to drop off my zombie companions near a river, then went to a two-human forest retreat in order to feed. Intentionally let the townsfolk see me doing so - in fact I had to do it twice because the first time noone saw me fully draining someone of blood!

I checked Legends Viewer and discovered the chieftain of this two-human civ is in a nearby forest retreat. On the road there, night started falling and I waited in another retreat on the way - I got ambushed near dawn by some two-human soldiers. Apparently them attacking me caused some kind of internal loyalty cascade, as the townsfolk started to come down from the trees to attack both them and each other. Didn't help that I decided to drink blood in front of everyone again.

I had three weapons in one hand due to my muscles being severed at one point, but as they heal I still have control of both my hands. I decided to have my other hand free for wrestling. Apparently this resulted in me becoming Jason Voorhees and catching peoples weapons mid-swing, only to disarm them, and then proceed to jam their own weapons into them. Also took some bolts from a dead crossbowman and turned one of the hostile villagers into a pincushion.
To illustrate:

Absolutely !!Brutal!!

As of now, I'm still in that forest retreat, sorta wandering around and only fighting people who directly come after me.
If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to upload the world itself after I retire this adventurer (or he dies, but that's not looking likely, and I'm gonna get more spellcaster interactions soon anyway). It has been this crazy seemingly everywhere I go.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: January 03, 2016, 09:11:47 pm »

I was forced by the threat of overheating to stop worldgen at year 3010, but things look pretty neat anyway.

Sweet zombie Jesus what.

You can use advanced settings to make the world generate for a really, really long time, up to 10,000 years, so I started genning a "Small" world with a bunch of civs and megabeasts last night. My shitty computer was starting to look worryingly likely to hardcrash this afternoon, so I stopped less than a third of the way to absurdity.

The kind of stuff this game comes up with given enough time is really cool, I'd recommend you try it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: January 03, 2016, 10:22:16 pm »

Lesson learned: never jump while flying. I lost one firefly man adventurer after dropkicking a bogeyman off a tree in this way, and almost lost another one in a tower raid gone sour. Hell, you don't even need to be at a higher elevation for this to happen, as I jumped onto land in the same z level while hovering over water in the latter case. Only got out alive cause I lured most of the zombies into the river beforehand, and so only had to cripple and then kill three of them before fleeing to safety.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: January 03, 2016, 10:31:00 pm »

Sweet zombie Jesus what.

You can use advanced settings to make the world generate for a really, really long time, up to 10,000 years, so I started genning a "Small" world with a bunch of civs and megabeasts last night. My shitty computer was starting to look worryingly likely to hardcrash this afternoon, so I stopped less than a third of the way to absurdity.

The kind of stuff this game comes up with given enough time is really cool, I'd recommend you try it.
I once genned a world to around 3000 years, in 40.24. The goblins ruled it (I'm assuming they only had one civ, though I might be misremembering,)  and I found it easy to run into large patrols of soldiers. The last remnants of Dwarven civilization were holed up in a cave called, rather wonderfully, "the Painful Hell."

Alas, it proved prone to crashing.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: January 03, 2016, 10:49:35 pm »

It's pretty remarkably laggy, with some tendency to crash, yes. Fortunately, none of the species are extinct, and there's a lot of history around.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10116 on: January 04, 2016, 08:01:28 am »

Welp, just retired my vampire-pyromancer-biomancer-sorcerer titan adventurer. 133 total kills - 93 notable, 40 other. Although that's only "personal" kills, given that I had zombie minions do some of the killing for me and towards the end I also burned people to death with flares and magma, the actual kill-count would probably be in the 200s. Not very impressive compared to some of the other stuff I've seen, but eh, I prefer quality over quantity.

The end wasn't too terribly exciting - I did manage to outrun bogeymen. Twice. Seems like the second time enough of them vanished for the cackling to fade away despite it not being sunrise. Also burned a part of a two-human forest retreat - pretty satisfying when people start falling down into the flames after the leaves of their tree homes start to burn away from under them.

Weird being the overlord of a town mostly inhabited by goblins - I remember that when I started this adventure I had to go around killing some goblin warriors with my orc and titan hearthpeople because the gobbos wanted to kill me on sight, despite their merchants being peaceful. Oh well.

If anyone is interested, here's the world save file and speech files neccessary for a few of the modded creatures and for some modified vanilla raws - I'd definitely say this is one of the craziest, most fun worlds I ever had:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62904003/data.rar

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10117 on: January 04, 2016, 10:36:12 am »

Kid's recitals won't necessarily be preempted by storytelling, and I learned a few while telling stories at random, without intermission. Coincidentally while I was telling about the recital of a poetic form I didn't know, the kid right next to me recited an example of it. So now I know a short ribald form about death.

I shouldn't be surprised these kids know this kind of stuff, it's the kind of thing I'd try to learn, and repeat, when I was a kid.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: January 04, 2016, 03:53:46 pm »

I visited a fortress in an attempt to kill the occupying forgotten beast. I found it, a humanoid of opal with poison dust. I managed to get on top of it and we were thrown around the room together, it missing constantly and me stabbing bits off. I imagine my adventurer riding it like a bull, holding on for dear life, hacking with his sword, while the beast leaped around clouds of poison dust.

I killed it and gathered some of the dust once it washed off me in the rain. It didn't have any effect on me, but I'm probably going to feed it to someone.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: January 04, 2016, 04:06:19 pm »

Don't worry: forgotten beast toxins can take years to manifest, and the symptoms could be anywhere from full body necrosis and bleeding to a tummy ache.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: January 04, 2016, 04:26:54 pm »

Don't worry: forgotten beast toxins can take years to manifest, and the symptoms could be anywhere from full body necrosis and bleeding to a tummy ache.
Since when? Any fort I've played, the symptoms are noticeable if not during the fight, then very soon after. Also any adventurer I've played, if the symptoms aren't experienced before the fight is over, they will be next time you sleep or fast travel.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: January 04, 2016, 05:51:43 pm »

I visited a fortress in an attempt to kill the occupying forgotten beast. I found it, a humanoid of opal with poison dust. I managed to get on top of it and we were thrown around the room together, it missing constantly and me stabbing bits off. I imagine my adventurer riding it like a bull, holding on for dear life, hacking with his sword, while the beast leaped around clouds of poison dust.

I killed it and gathered some of the dust once it washed off me in the rain. It didn't have any effect on me, but I'm probably going to feed it to someone.
I love having this option.

"Huh, wonder what this does... welp, time to put it in a mug and find out!"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: January 04, 2016, 06:04:02 pm »

I've also killed a second FB and gathered its poison. That and the vampire blood will make one toxic mix.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: January 04, 2016, 06:43:32 pm »

I've also killed a second FB and gathered its poison. That and the vampire blood will make one toxic mix.

How do you mix shit in mugs?
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: January 04, 2016, 07:30:13 pm »

Just fill it with one unit of each and then serve to your guests.
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1104