Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104351 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10080 on: January 03, 2016, 02:49:01 am »

Valid lesson, you mean the stair under the actual keep or the ramps going up to the fortifications around it?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10081 on: January 03, 2016, 04:37:21 am »

Generated a pocket island with 10,000 years of history. When I went into adventure mode to check it out, the only sites I could spawn at were some 9000-year-old tombs, and the world's only necromancer's tower. Spawned at the tombs and got killed, but I expect it to be interesting.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10082 on: January 03, 2016, 06:06:41 am »

What do you learn from this story? Don't run up the stairs.
That reminds me of something similar that happened to me while exploring a vault.

I was fighting a Hand of Yemarumugg (humanoid composed of steam with a trunk) in a 3x3 corridor that had a drop one z-level down the middle.

When suddenly, this happened

My character literally slipped while dodging and cracked his head open. I dunno if it's because of slade being a tougher material but normally this type of drop doesn't do anything. So it really surprised me when I died.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10083 on: January 03, 2016, 06:49:43 am »

I think that fall damage acts as a high-contact-area attack using the ground's material, so you basically got slapped by a frying pan made of neutron star.

In other news, I am currently generating a 65x65 world with 60 civs and boosted megabeasts, with a 10,000 year limit. I'm getting like ~5 SPF last I checked, at year 400 and two hours ago. It should be interesting to see tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:52:02 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10084 on: January 03, 2016, 08:55:26 am »

I think that fall damage acts as a high-contact-area attack using the ground's material, so you basically got slapped by a frying pan made of neutron star.
Not just that, but there's a density multiplier for the material type. Slade is the densest material in DF existence, and even a 2 lvl fall can break bones. Dodges from ledges can really screw you, and the Angels seem to know their advantage.

On the other hand, one shot at a flying Guardian will pretty much wreck them, and will at least shorten the fight if not outright end it.

Jakalor the Darkblooded

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10085 on: January 03, 2016, 09:23:17 am »

So Mjölnir?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10086 on: January 03, 2016, 10:16:24 am »

Release notes say zombies are nerfed, but the ones in the tombs seem about the same. I didn't think they needed to be balanced anyway, they're a nice mid-level workout if you don't let them get the advantage of numbers. Turns out spears are perfectly viable against them, you can dismember as about as effectively as a blade.

My Linguistic Ability is coming up a lot slower, though Speaker is increasing quicker. Last time I started with Superior and had Superhuman before I knew it, this time I started High and I'm still at High, though Speaker has jumped from Novice to Competent in a shorter time. Does audience size effect increase rate? Maybe it's slowed because I haven't stopped at every meadhall to entertain and boast.

So Mjölnir?
That and landing on his head was just extremely bad luck.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #10087 on: January 03, 2016, 10:48:53 am »

Release notes say zombies are nerfed
Not until next release. Also, they are overpowered for fort-mode dwarves, where the siege always gives them advantage in numbers.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10088 on: January 03, 2016, 10:57:34 am »

Not just that, but there's a density multiplier for the material type. Slade is the densest material in DF existence, and even a 2 lvl fall can break bones. Dodges from ledges can really screw you, and the Angels seem to know their advantage.

On the other hand, one shot at a flying Guardian will pretty much wreck them, and will at least shorten the fight if not outright end it.

Alright, that explains it - I did notice even a fall that didn't break bones showed the "you slam into an obstacle" message, which confused me a bit.

On a different note, I retired my orc swordmaster who used 6 different swords and 2 shields, along with his band of 8 or so drunks. Took over a ruined and possibly glitchy town.

The town itself, Fatherchanced, was originally a human town. The civ went to war with a nearby orc civ, lost, and the town was subsequently taken over. The new government, the Fellowship of Women, seems to be...glitched? Legends viewer brings this up:

So the government took over the town in 127 but something happened that made them dissolve in 126? When checking the entry for the Fellowship, the map, instead of centering around the town, centers itself on the upper left corner of the entire world map.

The town itself had people living in it, and merchants in the marketplace, but talking with them didn't bring up a "ask about local ruler" option, and asking about the site's neighbors had them say "there is nothing organized here". On top of that I was also given the option to "Give in to starvation" instead of "Retire at this location". Until I took over, then the latter was an option again, and the "ask about local ruler" dialogue option was restored - I haven't asked any of the townsfolk about the neighbors.

Two temples were also supposed to be on the city grounds, they showed up on the map structure list, but I couldn't find either of them in the area; normally they're in plain sight.

So...what the hell is going on? This is possibly the most confusing world I've ever had.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10089 on: January 03, 2016, 11:05:50 am »

had to test this out with a master dancer but yes bogeyman will dance with you if you ask and your race is known to show no fear.
so you can dance with bogeymen but can't dance with zombies?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10090 on: January 03, 2016, 11:09:57 am »

Two temples were also supposed to be on the city grounds, they showed up on the map structure list, but I couldn't find either of them in the area; normally they're in plain sight.

So...what the hell is going on? This is possibly the most confusing world I've ever had.
I don't know if it's a bug or intentional, but when the site has no ruler it loses its temples and most of its underground areas. After you took over, it should restore the next time you sleep, rest or leave the site completely. But that was last version, may bear verification this version. It's never been a bug-free mechanic.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10091 on: January 03, 2016, 12:03:20 pm »

had to test this out with a master dancer but yes bogeyman will dance with you if you ask and your race is known to show no fear.
so you can dance with bogeymen but can't dance with zombies?
They could dance if they want too, but all their friends have died, and if their friends don't dance, then they don't dance, so your corpse was sent flyin'.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10092 on: January 03, 2016, 12:07:09 pm »

They could dance, if their necromancer was a king of pop. :V

[Old Song References Intensify]
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10093 on: January 03, 2016, 12:12:55 pm »

I need to try and find a way to get talking zombies in this version; had it in the last version, lots of TRANS_NAME spam, but otherwise it worked fine; tried it in this one and it says that they cant speak, no idea why currently.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10094 on: January 03, 2016, 12:18:15 pm »

I need to try and find a way to get talking zombies in this version; had it in the last version, lots of TRANS_NAME spam, but otherwise it worked fine; tried it in this one and it says that they cant speak, no idea why currently.
bogeymen do have the can-talk raws in them but conversations with them are mostly one sided.
I guess this might be a Civ thing.
like bogeymen will comment if you tell poetry/perform music/tell a tale near them.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1104