Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104528 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #9975 on: December 30, 2015, 07:50:06 pm »

When I had rampaging demons in a fort, it wasn't an accident, and it wasn't the cause. When every other dwarf was dead, laid up, insane, or holding an endless party in the meeting hall while goblins and zombies were pouring in, the one sane dwarf, the only one remaining who would heed my commands, picked through the last bit of wall separating the fortress from the slade citadel. He wearily trudged to the upright spike and pulled it.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9976 on: December 30, 2015, 07:54:47 pm »

I'm actually wondering if there should be a separate thread for dead fort-exploring experiences.

This one was...absolutely surreal. From the wagons in walls (mind you, there was no way they could have gotten in - the only fort entrance I had was a down stairwell) to the various crazies inhabiting it, it was genuinely creepy.

I probably hyped myself up too much (I thought the zombies would still be around and that I'd have to get ready for a bunch of tough fights - I was ready to flip out when I saw exclamation marks indicating sound in unexplored areas of the fort) and listening to Naxxramas and Cursed Land music from WoW didn't help. Still it was really fun. One of the few adventurers I retired who wasn't either a genocidal maniac (save for the end where I bashed people with tiny animals) or a crazy bard/poet.

It really is incredible how strange it is to explore a player-made fort.  A thread for such things would be fairly great.

Will you make it, or shall I?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9977 on: December 30, 2015, 07:56:42 pm »

I thought it was strange even visiting a successful fort. What made it really suspenseful was the max speed of 1 FPS.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9978 on: December 30, 2015, 07:58:06 pm »

The one time I've explored a player-made fort in adventure mode, it was still perfectly alive. Very dark, and strangely confusing in layout when not omniscient.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9979 on: December 30, 2015, 07:59:11 pm »

if you were a necromancer you could have reanimated any of those dead angels.
They were all inorganic, so it wouldn't work.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9980 on: December 30, 2015, 08:22:47 pm »

I once tried to find my way through a player made fort I had never actually played when I grabbed Smunstu and escaped from Doomforests.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was confusing, to say the least.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9981 on: December 30, 2015, 08:40:50 pm »

I'm not quite sure what happened but I slept in a tavern in a fortress and when I woke up the tavern had moved.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9982 on: December 30, 2015, 08:47:46 pm »

I'm not quite sure what happened but I slept in a tavern in a fortress and when I woke up the tavern had moved.
This happens too frequently. The first time a site offloads and loads again, it's full of gefuckt, and sometimes you don't notice, and sometimes it's the site that gefckts itself, but it's always you that gets the gefuckt in the end. The end that hurts to get gefuckt in.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #9983 on: December 30, 2015, 08:52:31 pm »

It really is incredible how strange it is to explore a player-made fort.  A thread for such things would be fairly great.

Will you make it, or shall I?
Yeah I'll make it, no worries.

This isn't related, but I just had another genuinely suspenseful moment.

I have made a modded mutant creature that comes in several different castes; they're basically large predators but much more dangerous.

I was killed on my walrus man adventurer by a group of 6 of them - 5 I managed to kill before going down to the last one.

I came back as an elephant seal man and tried to find the one who killed Mr. Frosty. I came across her, eventually - she ran off and killed my naga companion before disappearing again. I gave them sounds like the capybara (except obviously more fitting than "barking") so I could still hear her in the area.

Then I saw a sparrow woman fall out of the sky. Then another one.

Turns out, the mutant climbed a tree at lightspeed to reach a group of sparrow people and started killing them one by one. Eventually she got tired from it and collapsed from over-exertion - I took that opportunity to climb up and crush her skull with my silver maul.

I finished off the two sparrow women, as they weren't dead, however it felt more merciful to let them join their tribe.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9984 on: December 30, 2015, 11:04:33 pm »

Your sig quote reminds me of something, ZM5. Is it only evil weather that can reanimate skin/viscera? My Necromancer could only do with relatively intact corpses, and people always talk about how their fort got eaten by a pile of guts and a yak skins. I'm just curious.
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9985 on: December 31, 2015, 12:08:02 am »

Your sig quote reminds me of something, ZM5. Is it only evil weather that can reanimate skin/viscera? My Necromancer could only do with relatively intact corpses, and people always talk about how their fort got eaten by a pile of guts and a yak skins. I'm just curious.

It might depend on the exact way a secret interaction is generated, but it should be checking for the presence of any "grasp" body parts.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9986 on: December 31, 2015, 01:02:09 am »

I don't think they're different reactions. You can only animate a corpse that has at least one GRASP body part and isn't mangled.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #9987 on: December 31, 2015, 06:14:22 am »

Only heads and body parts with the [GRASP] token can be reanimated.

Skins and hairs are able to be reanimated as well, I don't remember the exact reason why but Toady left it in due to it making about as much sense as a walking skeleton.

If you butcher a non-mangled corpse you should be able to raise skin/hair, I remember doing so once - unless something changed it should still be possible.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9988 on: December 31, 2015, 06:20:08 am »

something about the head being intact being able to be fit for reanimation.
or was that resurrection. either way there's a token you can remove that just allows you to bring back any part of the creature no matter how much beaten battered and bruised it is.
though reanimation so kinda makes a new unit soul for the body than say resurrection so each time you bring back that soon to be nerfed to the ground zombie it's a new zombie each time.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9989 on: December 31, 2015, 06:30:58 am »

Ran into my first boogeymen right after my first vampire. That was one marathon fight after another, and the entire time I saw "The sun is rising in the east" and thought "Why the fuck isn't it risen yet?!?!" I didn't have any scars up to that point, but they mangled my face beyond all recognition. If I want to perpetuate the fear, I can look at children and say, "This is what happens when the boogeymen get you."

I managed to kill two of them before I got tired, and then one of them got me Enraged! so I couldn't dodge away, but my accuracy didn't get any better. It didn't end until I quit out to save, shut down the game, loaded back where I was, then fucking suddenly they realized the sun was out and poofed like they were fucking supposed to!

Damn that took a long ass time, but I'm a Legendary Fighter now.
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 1104