Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105096 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #9660 on: December 21, 2015, 05:24:57 pm »

What, no silver mace? ;_;

And...yeesh. More of these gobbles to gobble. And now jumped by a giant dingo recruit.

Oh wait. Yesss. Finally, a target I can use for crafting!
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Comito

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrens chat scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: December 21, 2015, 05:36:19 pm »

I love it when dances are huge like this.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: December 21, 2015, 06:06:30 pm »

I am a dunce. I re-discovered that I can suss out a solder's allegiance by asking their profession. Also, finally reached a peaceful hamlet where the local lady mentions a few bandit camps in the area. I also realized I can tell which is human and which is goblin, via the trouble description. Causing us much hardship? Human. Bringing terror to our doorstep? Goblin. Suddenly...

You: "Hows life here?"
The lady draws the copper slicing knife with her Left hand.
The Goblin Poet draws the silver carving knife with her Right hand.
Atthem Sabuseto, lady: "I've forgotten what trouble it was..."

Goblin poet came out of the mead hall basement going all hostile. Cue the almighty copper maul to the neck. Solves all problems.

EDIT: What? Now there's an insurrection going on here? What heresy is this? Shit's falling apart and I just got here.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:08:53 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: December 21, 2015, 06:45:48 pm »

First elven tavern was more crowded than any human tavern I'd been to, but the other two in this retreat were crowded with cobwebs, and one didn't even have a tavern keeper. Got attacked by a goblin dancer on entry, and my companions took care of it. At least one goblin dancer was left alive, but he/she wandered off a little after I introduced myself. None of the elves are dancers, I'm really keen on keeping some dancers, of any race, just to learn anything new.

I recruited a famous Bard as an entertainer. There's no dialog option to make requests, so now I have to wait for her to spontaneously perform, and 9 out of 10 it'll be a story about the ascension of someone I don't care about.

My companions have become pretty dismissive critics of my stories now. They rave about the telling, but when it's over, I get panned. Are they getting mutinous, or are they just moody over the unaccustomed death they're witnessing? I've long since past the milestone where I take grim satisfaction in my kills, but they may find it offensive to hear me say so. They've been pretty worthless so far yet have managed to survive, so I can't take my weapons back from their corpses. A bronze colossus and a jungle titan are up on the itinerary, and we shall see whether their luck holds out. Perhaps their balls will drop from the experience.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: December 21, 2015, 06:47:56 pm »

Ah giant boar, how I love your tier-two body materials.

EDIT: I have become a bandit. But alas, there is little to be done. Maybe I'll squish the commander's head and take command of the other two. Then...we'll do something.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:51:14 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: December 21, 2015, 09:16:13 pm »

So after the failure of my lasher, see previous post for hilariously useless birdman, I made a mace man.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And these are his skills after abusing a giant tortoise for about maybe 10 minutes and some other nonsense.

I won't lie, I started as a demi-god. No shame here, I can't wait to get eaten by a hippo or something. Started with a Silver Mace and an Iron Shield, pretty good, but I found an +Iron Shield+ and some bronze armor right out the gate.

So anyway here's what's happened so far

Pic related

My question is, are flails better than maces?

Also, is a ≡Copper Flail≡ better than a +Iron mace+? Is there a reliable way to compare super-high quality weapons of inferior metals with Fine Quality weapons of superior metals?
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: December 21, 2015, 09:26:44 pm »

My question is, are flails better than maces?

Also, is a ≡Copper Flail≡ better than a +Iron mace+? Is there a reliable way to compare super-high quality weapons of inferior metals with Fine Quality weapons of superior metals?

I vaguely recall them being faster at pulping undead heads than maces, so that's a good sign. As for that, it's worth noting that for blunt weapons, the density does a lot to make up for material inferiority, though material superiority means more if your target is well-armored. This is why silver blunt weapons are typically considered tied with steel for the best option, despite steel having way higher impact values. And this is why adamantine blunt weapons are utter crap despite their impact values matching their absurdity high shear values.

EDIT: I found a library! And it isn't sealed! Squeee.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:36:45 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: December 21, 2015, 09:38:17 pm »

I vaguely recall them being faster at pulping undead heads than maces, so that's a good sign. As for that, it's worth noting that for blunt weapons, the density does a lot to make up for material inferiority, though material superiority means more if your target is well-armored. This is why silver blunt weapons are typically considered tied with steel for the best option, despite steel having way higher impact values. And this is why adamantine blunt weapons are utter crap despite their impact values matching their absurdity high shear values.

Thanks for that. I've been trying to understand the wiki, use it as a self-help guide, but some of it's just beyond me at the moment. There's also some discrepancies, which is to be expected, such as I believe that one page, which of course I can't find now, mentions the increased speed of Flails as being a boon compared to maces, but the Flail page itself says they're inferior but doesn't have much information.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Flail

I'm more inclined to believe in their superiority, but I dunno.

EDIT: I would guess that a +Iron breastplate+ is better than a *Copper Breastplate* ?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:47:20 pm by Shalderave »
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: December 21, 2015, 09:54:11 pm »

Definitely odd, yeah. And yep, iron is lighter and stronger. Unless you plan to boop enemies with it, the iron one is better. Now if it you were comparing iron and bronze...bronze is a tad denser yet just barely stronger, enough that a higher-quality iron armor might beat out bronze armor of a lower quality.

And...wow. Such knowledge, very brain. Someone is tracking blood all over the place, but none of them are dead or fighting.

Also? A FORGOTTEN BEAST parchment scroll. I think I need that, so much.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: December 21, 2015, 09:59:05 pm »

Welcome to the wonderful world of library hopping!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: December 21, 2015, 10:01:01 pm »

Does it count as hopping if I've literally only found a single library I can get into? ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: December 21, 2015, 10:10:22 pm »

Adventure mode needs a way to destroy walls. Some dynamite or gunpowder. Or to somehow trick a BC into headbutting the wall you want down.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: December 21, 2015, 10:21:28 pm »

Adventure mode needs a way to destroy walls. Some dynamite or gunpowder. Or to somehow trick a BC into headbutting the wall you want down.

Yessss. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: December 21, 2015, 10:26:16 pm »

Yessss. ;w;

Very much so. I would actually pay small, student-budget-viable sums of money to whoever managed to generally implement Eldritch-style dynamite charges into the game, it makes so much sense in a roguelike, IMO.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: December 21, 2015, 10:44:44 pm »

Instead we must settle for ye olde DFHack.

Or...wait. Minecarts can dump contents and create a full tile of water, right?

Is it possible to, as a flying creature, dump a minecart of water and one of magma, fast enough to create a floating block of obsidian?

It would surely kill you stone dead (pun intended) in the process, but it'd also be exploitable by future adventurers.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 1104