Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105092 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #9645 on: December 21, 2015, 01:24:41 pm »

I found an infinitely respawning army in one village. They don't rob at all, they just murder generic peasants offscreen and attack me on sight. Oddly, no one in town considers them their trouble. No matter how many of them I kill, when I return to their unit, they have the same numbers and composition of forces. I've killed who I believe is their ringleader, so maybe they'll start to thin out, or at least rethink carrying out their orders.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: December 21, 2015, 01:25:35 pm »

I found an infinitely respawning army in one village. They don't rob at all, they just murder generic peasants offscreen and attack me on sight. Oddly, no one in town considers them their trouble. No matter how many of them I kill, when I return to their unit, they have the same numbers and composition of forces. I've killed who I believe is their ringleader, so maybe they'll start to thin out, or at least rethink carrying out their orders.

You clearly need to return as a necromancer. Free infinitely replenishing zombie army.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: December 21, 2015, 01:30:41 pm »

It suits me because I have driving needs to fight and develop martial prowess. As long as I'm based in the area, I have a ready punching bag to satisfy me. This way I can stay Focused! when I go back to the library to write love sonnets. Bawdy love sonnets.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: December 21, 2015, 01:38:59 pm »

Found a town with the merchants right outside the keep, not that odd, but there was also a ramp leading down into the sewers right there... and of all days, it happens to be the one where I've got a minecart full of corpses and coins in my backpack?

This is what happens when you don't hire a city planner, folks.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: December 21, 2015, 02:01:01 pm »

It is terrifying.

Also, I think that's the first screenshot of tiled DF I've seen that isn't all blurry. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: December 21, 2015, 02:19:34 pm »

So in case anyone was curious about the giant Tortoise comment I made in my last post, if you find one and scare it into its shell, auto-wrestling it carries zero risk of it hurting you or you killing it. Become Heracles in 3 easy steps!

Anyone know a good way to wrestle zombies to death though?
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Anonymax

• Bay Watcher
  • Rated "D" For Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: December 21, 2015, 02:42:44 pm »

try to escape now!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: December 21, 2015, 03:20:06 pm »

Anyone know a good way to wrestle zombies to death though?

There is none. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: December 21, 2015, 03:47:52 pm »

There is none. ;w;

Well, is there anyway to direct which way I throw enemies? I can throw them off cliffs at least, if I can direct the throw. Also I somehow threw a zombie into myself at one point, that was interesting. I mean, I have a silver mace but the giant tortoise only blessed me with improved wrestling, so it's a bit...tedious to kill zombies with the mace. I need a higher quality one, so I'm trying to scrounge Dorf fortresses.
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: December 21, 2015, 04:00:36 pm »

Well, is there anyway to direct which way I throw enemies? I can throw them off cliffs at least, if I can direct the throw. Also I somehow threw a zombie into myself at one point, that was interesting. I mean, I have a silver mace but the giant tortoise only blessed me with improved wrestling, so it's a bit...tedious to kill zombies with the mace. I need a higher quality one, so I'm trying to scrounge Dorf fortresses.

There is an alternative that gives you more control, yes. Initiate a grab, but afterwards don't hit enter, wait or any such thing. Normally doing so will resolve the grab attempt. Instead, hit "j"ump and the grab will resolve, then the jump command will initiate. If the grab attempt was successful, it'll still allow jumping even though being in a grapple normally prevents jumping. If you then jump at your target, you can send them flying, and they'll be unable to jump out of the way because the grab precludes dodging.

Obviously if the grab attempt fails, you can cancel the jump and attempt this all over again.

The only caveat is that a large enough enemy stands a good chance of breaking your jump right when you initiate the jump, leaving them free to evade.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: December 21, 2015, 04:10:16 pm »

There is none. ;w;

Launch with dfhack when it updates, or the kisat dur methods.
It is terrifying.

Also, I think that's the first screenshot of tiled DF I've seen that isn't all blurry. o3o
I'm worried about your eyes bro, I downsized that in GIMP to 50% with cubic interpolation, it's pretty noticeably blurrier than the original size.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: December 21, 2015, 04:17:17 pm »

I basically described the non-sprinting version of Dragonfall. That reminds me, if you ARE a dragon, don't expect flight to save you if you do that trick and knock both of you off a cliff.

And I don't know why most DF tilesets lool all...smudged to me. The default display mode honestly tends to look clearer to me, and yet I have no such problem when staring at other roguelike tilesets. ;w;

Meanwhile, I've decided I want to become a bandit. Time to scout out the local area for some...uhoh. Goblin ambush in the middle of the nearby town. Not the kind of bandit I was hoping for.

EDIT: Ow. Okay, use the grab-and-jump trick to disarm them, before attempting any further kung-fu.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 04:25:16 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: December 21, 2015, 04:35:05 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing though.

The set I use is literally the one on the left scaled up 4x with the corners trimmed down and the shading, it is way higher DPI and totally crisp at 1920x1080. What size screen are you on?

As for kung-fu, yeah, if you didn't build for it specifically, don't expect to do super well.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: December 21, 2015, 04:40:46 pm »

Ahem. I did say that the tileset you're using has so far been the only DF tileset I've seen that looks clear, so...that would explain it. >w>

And yeah, I had much better luck catching their weapons and disarming them first. If I recall my top skills are proficient hammerer, skilled wrestler, skilled observer, and skilled dodger. Despite that, catch-and-yoink seems far more reliable than mauling them, even after I buffed mauls.

EDIT: Oh FUCK the entire town is gobbles.

EDIT 2: "You bash the Goblin Spearmaster in the nose from behind with your copper maul and the injured part is crushed!" Hell if I know how you do that.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 05:01:38 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: December 21, 2015, 05:18:43 pm »

EDIT 2: "You bash the Goblin Spearmaster in the nose from behind with your copper maul and the injured part is crushed!" Hell if I know how you do that.

The ol' "reach around the face and boink." Gets 'em every time.

So I gave up on getting lost in pre-generated dorfortresses so I'm now in a town keep looking for piles of weapons. If I can't find anything I'll give up and do things the hard way. At least I found a maceman.

Bigger update once this screwy adventure for a better mace ends.
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 1104