Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2096877 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #8790 on: September 18, 2015, 07:05:20 pm »

I went with shell so that it would be a usable body material, and an excuse to give shell a megabeast-tier version.

Vomit can still be hardcore, it seems.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8791 on: September 18, 2015, 11:59:52 pm »

Such humble beginnings.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wandered south to the glaciers, killed a Roc, saw a neat volcano.

Then I find a fort with trenches, so I head in and find goblins that panic at the sight of me.

I went down to see if the dorfs were any saner... to find nothing but goblins that freak out and run away, I was very amused by this so I ran around chasing them until I accidentally stabbed one in the brain and cut the hand off another.

Welp...

Didn't get a picture but I accidentally the whole fort and it is now sacked and full of scarred and mangled wuss-goblins.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8792 on: September 19, 2015, 01:24:04 am »

Then I find a fort with trenches, so I head in and find goblins that panic at the sight of me.

I went down to see if the dorfs were any saner... to find nothing but goblins that freak out and run away, I was very amused by this so I ran around chasing them until I accidentally stabbed one in the brain and cut the hand off another.

Welp...

Didn't get a picture but I accidentally the whole fort and it is now sacked and full of scarred and mangled wuss-goblins.
"Accidentally".

I've come across forts like this, always makes me laugh when everyone just bolts at the sight of you.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: September 19, 2015, 04:33:44 am »

Of the few Dark Fortresses I've tried to invade, most were filled with wussy civilian goblins. It's kinda odd, really.

Also, I found a human crossbowman with a steel crossbow, didn't know that was possible.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8794 on: September 19, 2015, 05:09:06 am »

I never saw steel weapons in mead halls either, if that's what you mean.
Bandits seem to be able to generate steel weapons, though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8795 on: September 19, 2015, 05:37:18 am »

Of the few Dark Fortresses I've tried to invade, most were filled with wussy civilian goblins. It's kinda odd, really.

Also, I found a human crossbowman with a steel crossbow, didn't know that was possible.
This was a dwarf fortress that had been taken over and had trenches and towers outside, to clarify.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8796 on: September 19, 2015, 05:49:32 pm »

Interesting. That sounds fairly strategically reasonable, actually.

Also, I wonder what purpose trenches serve in DF. I mean, it's not like they're the right sort of trenches for trench warfare, and ranged weapons aren't quite prevalent enough to necessitate it anyway.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8797 on: September 19, 2015, 05:50:52 pm »

Stealth of some sort? harder to leave, thus chokepoints for defence?
One wheel short of a wagon

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8798 on: September 19, 2015, 06:27:46 pm »

If I recall, the main thing trenches in medieval and earlier warfare were for were to be ditches, an obstacle to hinder formations and cavalry. Formations aren't a thing yet and cavalry gives zero fucks about having to path for the ramps, so this isn't that useful...

If the goblins could fire on adventurers from a tower like your own dorfs can (and will) from similar structures in fortress mode, it might be more effective.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8799 on: September 19, 2015, 06:31:33 pm »

I think they were more useful before climbing and jumping were implemented, the AI still gets slowed down by the significantly though.

So I took one of my crazy tower worlds and decided I'd set up a fort for a bit before adventuring around.

Before spring ended the expedition leader claiming the position of king, went back to being expedition leader, then back to king again and another dorf became expedition leader.

I've got two or three towers nearby and goblins all around so I guess I'll stick with it for a bit before I set up an adventurer in there. Been doing everything the slow way, no fastdwarf, no autodumping shit, using buckets to fill up my dorfwash... I'm expecting the stuff I had to make for the king will screw me over pretty soon and I'll have to go in and rescue everyone with an adventurer.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8800 on: September 19, 2015, 06:45:36 pm »

Weird. But yeah, so long as ramps exist to link the trenches, the AI will be slowed some by the trench network.

Any of your little toys allow embarking on dark fortresses? I kinda want to re-mod in Goblin Gulag and use a pre-made tower network. X3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8801 on: September 19, 2015, 07:24:10 pm »

The current dfhack has embark-tools which allows embark anywhere doesn't it?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8802 on: September 19, 2015, 07:25:37 pm »

Reason #69 why I need to actually TRY DFHack. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8803 on: September 19, 2015, 10:12:24 pm »

Plus, you know... launch is hilariously stupid fun.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8804 on: September 20, 2015, 04:33:59 am »

Oh yeah Max I wonder does retiring a fort filled with dead spirits cause those spirits to vanish forever or do they linger on still if you swap to adventure mode?
want to see if I can figure out how to unlock or use those Ghost based attacks that kills folks.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 1104