Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100338 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #8250 on: April 29, 2015, 12:53:41 pm »

I generally focus on the hearts. That way, I reduce my enemies to the pitiful level of artichokes.

I generally concentrate on artichoke hearts, too.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8251 on: April 29, 2015, 12:56:18 pm »

There's nothing better than running around, snacking on tundra titan heart.

Meat is actually denser than organs, so carrying around organs is better if you run into speed issues.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8252 on: April 29, 2015, 01:57:44 pm »

There's nothing better than running around, snacking on tundra titan heart.
Nothing better than snacking on tundra hearts? How about this?

"This is a stack of 3 exceptionally prepared prepared tundra titan heart roast. The ingredients are superiorly minced cherry, exceptionally minced quarry bush leaf, superiorly minced tundra titan meat and exceptionally minced prepared tundra titan heart."

I only carry 4-5 stacks of the meat to use as filler, and the weight difference at that amount isn't so significant. It all evens out in the finished roasts. That 3-stack is only 1 lb.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: April 29, 2015, 02:26:44 pm »

That is why I added in [REACTION_CLASS:SEMIMEGAHEART/ROCHEART/HYDRAHEART/DRAGONHEART], tagged the appropriate bodyparts, and had them each give different buffs, with all the items giving a combined buff to top it off.

I'm running around hunting down the beasts of legend to challenge them in mortal combat, hopefully end up not maimed or dead, and then I perform an arcane ritual over the corpse before eating the heart and carving the bones into jewelry or something useful.

Went ahead and made semimegabeast bones ~copper equivalent, rocs are ~iron, and hydra/dragon are ~steel. Roc/Hydra/Dragon scales are also a lot more durable, all of which combines to make it a much scarier thing to track them down when fully buffed, and generally you're totally fucked if the first lair you stop by has a dragon or hydra... well, at least with a hydra you can get lucky and hack open some throats then just stay out of the way til it bleeds out.

Dragons like to play "let's see how long you can avoid burning to death" when you use those tactics on them.

I've got an adventurer I was sort of experimenting with to see just how big everything is.

Little Rit (she's 8 and had a much better beard than the dorf I started with so I copied her stats over manually and took control) has traveled this far on foot over 2 days:

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: April 29, 2015, 03:26:53 pm »

That is why I added in [REACTION_CLASS:SEMIMEGAHEART/ROCHEART/HYDRAHEART/DRAGONHEART], tagged the appropriate bodyparts, and had them each give different buffs, with all the items giving a combined buff to top it off.
So basically you reward yourself with special powers for doing something you already habitually do. I've never seen self-service Monty Haul like that.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: April 29, 2015, 06:35:35 pm »

I reward myself for hunting down tougher versions by making it more and more fun to run around hunting them down.

Zooming around at 9.9 speed with stupid strength and endurance is fun, clawing your way up there at the top of a pile of steel boned dragons and armor skinned rocs makes it all the more fun.

I could always just createitem the thing, or even just make myself a race with those powers natively, simple enough.

Having to find them and actually kill them is the point, and as I said, I made their bones a lot harder than standard.

You ever fought a steel boned dragon with skin tougher than the toughest vanilla leather or scales?

Yeah, I think a "level up" is definitely fun effort/reward ratio, as it stands simply being able to have people call me a hero after that doesn't cut it, saving kids is easily the best choice there. Defeating monsters to become a monster on the other hand?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: April 29, 2015, 07:56:32 pm »

Yeah, increased difficulty as justification for compensatory advantages is one of the mark of a Monty Haul game. If the cup runneth generously over with those advantages then the challenge isn't very convincing.

I realized after I saw my depictions replacing 'human' and 'lord' with 'vampire human' and 'vampire lord' that it just cheapens all my accomplishments. I tore up almost half the world without vampirism. I'd long since thrown out my emergency blood stash (mostly because it didn't work,) and walked through hell.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8257 on: April 29, 2015, 11:37:50 pm »

Eh, whatever works for your game I say, I like playing with the launch script and it is hard to survive if you aren't a good deal tougher than a tough demigod anyways, so having a method to achieve those levels which involves actually exploring the world is fun, a lot of fun.

The increased difficulty was actually an end of itself, dragons and rocs and such are too easy, whack em in the head, down they go. Then I found the wanderers stuff and learned that I can make them hard fights (seriously like crawling away bleeding with a torn up leg hoping it will heal if you survive, or learning that a hacked open chest will heal if you're lucky) AND get toys from the bodies.

I've done pure vanilla stuff, I've done various mods, this mod is one I've been balancing so the full combination of all the balms will let me survive stuff like missing a tree and skidding across the ground on a long launch jump (nothing will let you survive hitting a tree directly) without trivializing the battles themselves.

Oh shit, wasn't quite ready for this just yet, saw spinning asterisks near the edge of a dark pit, strolled over...

"Oh uh, wrong party guys... I'll just show myself out?"
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:53:00 am by Max™ »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8258 on: April 30, 2015, 11:10:07 am »

Now, do I "need" powerups?

Well, this map I'm running around on has a couple lairs I can see that are off in the ocean a bit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
See the mist above/left of me? That'll make sense in a second.

I explored and found it was just an empty cave... lame, so now I'm here:

I'd like to get across to the other bit of land to the west... I could swim it but these oceans should freeze up at night, so I'd like it to be fast.

Very fast...

Maybe a little too fast...

Still, I'm bruised up but alive, since the jump after the one from the second image put me juuuust close enough to slam into the sea bottom off shore here:

But my biggest disappointment in this whole thing?

There's no way to say "An hour ago I skipped myself across the ocean like a rock." to the folks I encounter.

Bonus, I bumped into a battle and they got cocky so I grabbed the elf taking potshots at me and threw him at a goblin axeman heading towards me, but there was a human who stepped in the line of fire at JUST the perfect time:

--------- Gob --- Human ------- Elf
--------- Gob --- Human*Elf
--------- Gob*Human -- Elf
-Gob --- Human --- Elf
Gob -- Human*Elf

Clunk-clunk-reclunk!

So yeah, some might see it as a bunch of rewards being tossed out, I see it as a boon for tracking down dragons, rocs, hydras, revenge for the various failed attempts by earlier npcs, and a reason to care about the minotaurs and giants and etc-tins off in their hidey-holes. But again, I die or get maimed pretty often starting out, it's only later that I can be a bit more casual, like if I found and managed to kill a Roc and got the speed boost and encounter a Hydra next I can more easily hack at necks/heads and dodge away unscathed, but these aren't vanilla versions I'm fighting. Semimegabeast bone is copper, megabeast bone is iron, and dragonbone (which hydras also use, making them a nightmare at times) is steel, literally just copy-pasted the properties into the appropriate parts of the tissue templates.

I'm torn because it would be neat if forgotten beasts used these, but the idea of a steel boned, super-leather hided, web spewing doomspider lurking around the next corner in a sacked fort is a bit much atm.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8259 on: May 02, 2015, 02:00:32 am »

So there's a temple called the Steamy Convent. I wonder what they worship. Oh, and then the game crashed, so we will never know.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8260 on: May 02, 2015, 12:44:13 pm »

Hah, nice.

Yeah, the human temple names are great.

So I was testing out my updated version of the df wanderer based mod I run around with and noticed an oddly secluded peak with NO other mountain tiles around it so I was naturally compelled to go climb it.

I got to the top, got the message, hit reveal and multilevel 20 to make sure it was maxed out.

The last bit to the top of the spire was just vertical up a single tile wide column for three or four levels so I just launched myself and grabbed hold at the top... then I saved and flung myself off the steep side, took a good minute or so to finally explode on impact, I was hoping against all odds to somehow catch a tree but no luck.

So since I knew the side nearest me was pretty sheer I just stepped off and started sliding down to catch myself, figuring I'd get to one of the ramp slopes before long.

You know how the areas you've seen and remember are given that kinda grey ghosting effect for revealed map sections?

Yeah, this is one hell of a steep spot:

"♫I'm ab~seil~ling♪ aw~ay... ♫♪"

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8261 on: May 02, 2015, 10:21:42 pm »

PheeeeewwwwwwORGANSPLODE
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: May 03, 2015, 03:19:28 am »

It was kinda amazing because the airtime was so absurd the an-tici.... pation just builds and builds, could you possibly end up in the perfect position to grab a tree and live, maybe you'll hit a large enough body of water to skip across and live, maybe you'll land on some poor unfortunate deer and paint the area with a nuclear explosion of deer blood, maybe *WHAM*... rats.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: May 03, 2015, 10:36:39 am »

So, I decided to try this again and document what was going on for comedy,

Decided to have some more fun going up this time, there's a scary little diversion which isn't shown in these shots where I actually missed the very peak and thought "welp, that's that... oh wait I can grab the next super high mountain right there!" so yeah, launching yourself up mountains is not for the faint of heart.
So, after launch-ing myself up and almost missing the mountain, which is kinda almost how you fly isn't it, jump and miss the ground, anyways, here I am:

Note that is with multilevel as high as it goes, I forget if it is 15 or 20 but I did 20 to be safe.

Then, aimed the cursor as far towards the body of water to the southwest as I could figuring it would be amazing if it worked, had to zoom way out to see:

At 9:24:20 am I had my affairs in order, told my family I loved them, and took off.

At 9:24:54 am I finally found the ground again:

KERSPLOOEY... wait, what the hell?

SERIOUSLY?

See the little bit of the mountain range that juts out right at the top of this screenshot:

The peak is one tile to the left and two down, at the little "neck" between the two clumps of mountains, so that jump was roughly 9~ travel map tiles.

She looks surprised as I am, to me anyway:

Yet somehow, unharmed, last bit of the flight before I landed, for scale:

Sitting there in shock for a moment I figured I'd do the obvious thing after unexpectedly surviving a jump into a completely different embark tile, go do it again and record it!

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2730-leapoffaith

Man, it's even crazier looking in stonesense.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:04:19 pm by Max™ »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: May 04, 2015, 01:47:58 am »

I've never seen a peak like that in DF before. Nothing that tall and conical. What worldgen parameters did you use?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 1104