Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100028 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #8085 on: April 15, 2015, 05:55:11 am »

Hmmm, they aren't always the occupiers though, sometimes they're refugees from a different site at one more neutral.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: April 15, 2015, 07:36:22 am »

I did my homework; last time I was in the area, I identified all these guys as the rulers. Now that I'm passing through again, I'm turning over cities and ruins by claiming them and offering them to any citizen left in the area. Some of these towns don't even have that, so I have to visit the next town to hand over power. I'm passing out lordships like they're candy!

Meanwhile the first town I took and still possess has gone from ~60 citizens and >300 outcasts to the most populous human town in the world, and that's not including the outcasts. The most populous in citizen + outcast only has human citizens and hundreds of outcasts. My city has a mix of human, elven and dwarven citizens and less than 100 outcasts.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:39:15 am by Uzu Bash »

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: April 15, 2015, 01:52:08 pm »

Did they build new buildings?

Sharpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:55 pm »

On an unrelated note, after slaying a Werewolf, I found some magma laced with blood, blood, blood, blood, blood, blood....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:25:44 pm by Sharpoint »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: April 15, 2015, 05:06:01 pm »

Did they build new buildings?
Nothing stood out when I visited after about 3 game months from claiming it. I probably won't go back for another year, but the population is already over 1200, so if they are rebuilding, I should see a big difference in occupancy per block. I wish I had zipped a copy of the save before leaving.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: April 16, 2015, 08:49:32 pm »

Anyone else feel that combat in DF2014 is practically impossible? You can be totally fucking a guy up, blocking or parrying all his attacks but one slips through and even though it barely hits you you give in to the pain and get annihilated.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: April 16, 2015, 09:31:55 pm »

I think it's the nature of the game that if combat lasts long enough for you to take a debilitating hit, then you're not really totally fucking a guy up. But point-for-point, Willpower doesn't do enough to defend against pain, and there aren't any degrees to it, it's either no pain at all or complete system shock.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: April 16, 2015, 09:40:03 pm »

DF2014 combat is like sex with a stranger you met in a skeezy bar, wear protection or you'll be lucky if you wake up and you're only missing your kidney.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: April 17, 2015, 03:00:47 am »

...and even though it barely hits you you give in to the pain and get annihilated.

This happens if your bones get broken or chipped, not by barely getting hit.
Yes, the pain modifier for bones is too high in this regard, but you can modify your raws.
I set the modifier to 10 (from 50).
Now I can get multiple broken bones and still fight - the same goes for my opponents which leads to interesting battles. I really have to look for my exhaustion and therefore it's more of a strategic fight-system.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: April 17, 2015, 05:08:28 am »

Another slade tower, 11k goblins, 5k trolls. I know I could've edited the site to cap the population, but I wanted to see how manageable as it was -- not doing that again. It was very slow going through the trenches. Even flying was slow, ~5 sec to start a jump and ~3 sec of hangtime per tile. At one point active units got up to ~1100, it came down to ~600 as I approached the tower rhen dropped to ~450.

It was still very laggy due to the troll riot and goblins running around hysterical, even the soldiers. Only 2 had the presence of mind to confront me on the way up, and that was after I introduced myself to them. When I got to the top, the demon was repeatedly beating on an unconscious troll hunter with a human bone earring. It was taking so long that after mapping out the top floor, I picked up a scattered bow and arrows and practiced by shooting 2, and the demon was still hitting with that one attack and only bruising. So I tried to wrestle it away from him and naturally failed, so I tried trading him a divine warhammer for it. That worked, but the first thing he did when he got his new weapon was to finally use his stinger, the one that was attached to his ass this whole damn time.

After that was done, I called his name, "The Dangerous Whisper", and got him to follow me to the bottom of the tower, doing all the dirty work of killing goblins whose names I didn't want to sully my weapons with. No portal, yet again, so I wanted to see if I could make my own staircase by deconstructing the floor and constructing downstairs through the slade floor. The intervening floors turned out to be gabbro, all the way down to z-lvl 0, but I think the principle will work with slade; build downstairs, deconstruct the wall underneath through it, then build connecting stairs. Then dismantle walls all the way out to the bounds of the fortress.

My demon got killed by the first demons we met. He charged some thrips devils, got bitten by a flying devil and shaken around without too much damage, but after I killed them all he dropped 1-zlvl to slade cavern floor and his lower body was pulverized by the impact, probably due to his extreme mass. After that I found Fiends of Soot, one hit wonders, and fireball-hurling Mongoose Fiends. One hit me and I used up my water putting out the fire, so I left to refill and wash the ichor off of me. My upper body fat is only partially melted now, so I guess I'm not fully fireproof yet.

VarrgieCaelai

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: April 17, 2015, 08:15:12 am »

I recently fiddled around with advanced parameters to create a fairly flat world with a few mountains so dwarves could exist and a looooot of evil regions. Upon hitting the embark screen I was told the only dwarven civilisation in existence was dying. Not much of a surprise I figured.

I ran the fort until it was killed off by a horde of zombies from a Necromancer tower called Passrubbed, average stuff.
That was until I decided to make an adventurer.
I found that not only had all the Dwarves been wiped out, but
every goddamn civilisation apart from Goblins and animal men had been completely obliterated.
It seems the Necromancer at Passrubbed is one of the most powerful figures in the world's history. Every human hamlet I came across was otherwise empty or filled with the undead, every forest retreat had faced similar results, and the once mighty dwarven kingdom of The Released Shield had been reduced to a bunch of stragglers standing around at the ruins of my previous fortress. Someone would need to pay for this outrage.
I journeyed to the Goblin hills of the north, an exceptionally crafted bronze spear in my grip, masterful bronze armour and steel cladding my body, and my trusty steel shield in my off hand. I slaughtered nearly ninety of the savages, until I felt I was ready. I marched back down south, until I reached the pearly tower of Passrubbed.

My every attempt to obtain the secrets of life and death has ended with my body torn apart and my brains whipped into a fine ice cream like substance to be subsequently eaten with gusto by the nearest rotting carcass. If only I could've trained more with a mace instead of a spear...  :P

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: April 17, 2015, 09:22:45 am »

Crimson Brute (to Crimson Brute): In a time before time I attacked me.

More of that demon self-abuse I hear about all the time. Beware his deadly dust! All his frozen extract did was push creatures around in random directions, including up, and including himself. If we were closer to the glowing pits, it could be pretty deadly to me, but on flat ground it was just annoying. We couldn't hit each other because every other tick we were buffeted in separate directions. But he did keep beating himself up, by flipping himself in the air and landing very poorly. He must have exhausted himself because after awhile he just lay there bleeding and broken, not even trying to emit dust, so I could just walk up and finish him off.

Sharpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: April 17, 2015, 11:33:05 am »

I got to a point where I was thinking "If I get another person say they have no need for my help, I'll lose it" Population of the town following this was 0

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: April 17, 2015, 01:44:52 pm »

Brush titan, glass humanoid, shoots webs. Again, the best approach was from above, though I only hit him with 2 out of 5 spears, it was enough to break a leg and keep him from climbing. I thought I would take a chance and drop down to 1 zlvl above him, which would be in range of his web. When I looked down before dropping I didn't see a web, but one was right there. Dropping into it turned out to enough to destroy it, and I only had the 'On Ground' effect after coming unwebbed. 2 hits to the head with an axe finished him. Now I wish I had tested my fire resistance and see if lighting yourself on fire really does protect against webs.

EDIT: Apparently I am fireproof -- savanna titan, scaly mammoth, beware its fire. Why the hell can I not block his fireballs? It's directional isn't it? Just how big are these fireballs? "Beware fire" doesn't tell you anything that would prepare you for what it does, whether the fire is breath or blast or ball.

I got the message that I was hit with it, but no message that I was on fire or bleeding. I was immobilized and igniting my surroundings, and when I hopped to the titan I found that he wasn't as fireproof as me. After I killed him, I jumped all the way to a 1 tile pool close to where I entered the map, leaving a swath of fire in my wake. The elves are going to love this. I'm glad a human town is close on my itinerary, because these rags are going to start crumbling off me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:08:34 pm by Uzu Bash »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: April 17, 2015, 07:07:36 pm »

One hit me and I used up my water putting out the fire, so I left to refill and wash the ichor off of me.

...I ...how did you ...is this a thing I should know?
*sighs dejectedly*

In brighter news, mifki removed the am:0 debug message spam for me, and a couple versions before it stopped the crashes I had been getting in adventurer mode, so... frickin yes:
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 1104