Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2099964 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #8055 on: April 12, 2015, 07:34:10 am »

okay I have a question about ghosts and well retirement. is it possible to retire an adventurer in a fort get them killed and have them come back as a ghost?
and if you retire a site with ghosts do those ghosts vanish from the site or do they linger?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: April 12, 2015, 07:40:10 am »

I am also curious about that, having never seen a ghost as an adventurer.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: April 12, 2015, 07:47:12 am »

I am also curious about that, having never seen a ghost as an adventurer.
like outside of dfhacking it never seen a legit way of doing so. also there's a major gait flaw with ghosts as they have the old flyer traits but the race doesn't have the new flyer gait thus if you attempt to fly up you'll be stuck in mid air as the game doesn't know how to move you. I tried to bring this up to toadyone but proving this outside of dfhack is tough as adventurers won't really become a ghost like wise.
though this does mean ghosts are doomed to noclip through solid floors and a floating fortress can be ghost proof.
oh yeah they can't fall either so ghosts have to carefully step down slopes.
"body swapping and YOU!"

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: April 12, 2015, 07:55:36 am »

Sometimes I think the game tries to mock me.

Was hunting some wildlife and visited some hamlets. Slowly got my skills together and managed to kill a vampire swordsman who was well-trained.
The first notable kill.
Packed my bagpack and marched towards a town, seeking fortune and death.
On my way I found a bandit camp with some goblins.
They attacked on sight and I was defending myself in a long fight against three wrestlers.
Managed to kill them.
Four notable kills.
Searched for the boss around the perimeter of the camp as I wanted to take him as the fifth one and finally found him.
A mace lord.
Really tough guy. For a goblin.
He managed to dodge my attacks and his morningstar slowly bruised my body and smashed some of my fingers - only wearing leather armor isn't always a good idea.
I turned and began to ran.
This little greenie was faster and even though he already was tired, he slowly filled the gap.

Found a murky pool and circled around it - in the faint hope he would try to swim across.
Well, he didn't want to.
He rather wanted to jump...
Failed to grab the soil, smashed against the rock while damaging his middle spine. And he began to drown.
I used this sweet opportunity and started to hack away at him. Smashed his hands till he lost contact to his morningstar.
Cut him open. Floundering in red painted muddy water he finally gave in to pain and I could severe his head.
This fight took nearly half an hour.
Five notable kills.

"Atek Drumcarried the Failed Sense of Cradling"
What?!
If the game can't kill me, then it surely can kill my reputation...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:01:11 am by SaD-82 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: April 12, 2015, 08:08:17 am »

well lost a fort attempt to zombies, completely unaware to what went down reclaim the site order a guy to dismantle a door and lost the fort again to zombies.
I only realize now that I kinda gave cats the ability to raise the dead and my locked in goblin fort all died to a zombie outbreak.
so much for that plan on ghost adventurers.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: April 12, 2015, 09:35:34 am »

2057 A.D.
The Nevada Desert

A massive block of obsidian rests slightly tilted in a flat expanse of sand and stone.

Carved into one face, two meters off the ground, are these words:

"Humanity
~200,000 B.C. - 2015 A.D.

'I kinda gave cats the ability to raise the dead' ~Rumrusher

We won't be missed."

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: April 12, 2015, 11:33:54 am »

Feel like I'm wasting the spring, traveling up to the glacial north. There's a yellow-green brute there, a demon of chaos and war, sitting in the ruins of his capital city. It was conquered by elves 800 years ago, and not long after an occupation administrator was sent she was killed by an ettin. So now there are no elves and nothing at all prevents this demon or his empire from just reclaiming it. If I can figure out where the seat of power is, I can take possession of that as well as the demon. I suspect I'll have to fight my way in, but there are only 2000 trolls, so the hit to fps won't be too bad.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: April 12, 2015, 01:03:38 pm »

Visiting a town and happen upon an insurrection is always fun (in all meanings).
But it's even more fun if you're visiting a town and it seems that you're worshipping the wrong god...

Stopped in a town for visiting the local tavern.
Went inside and slew a reptile woman chieftess who apparently liked the brew too much and attacked me upon entering.
Talked to some guys, went outside and had to run away from an angry olm woman vampire spear master who chased me across the town.
Jumped inside the sewers, got her lost and climbed back again.
Had to circle around as she obviously searched for me and tried to close the ways out of the town. Therefore decided to visit the keep and wait her out.

As early as I reached the gates of the keep I saw a priest inside one of the houses besides the street who draw a knife and ran towards me. Because I didn't want to shed his blood, I began to sprint. Managed to reach the central building in which lots of priests, some guards and the local lord were present. Turned towards the lord - and suddenly I read that some persons drew their weapons.
Checked via "l" and yes: One "lethal" (high ape) and one "no-quarter" (bowman).
And one "ally" (maceman).
The maceman charged the bowman, the high ape attacked me and an arrow was parried by my sword.
Long story short:
I slew the ape, helped my ally and beheaded the bowman.
After the fight I talked with some guys and decorated my armor with their saliva.
Went down, had some more talks, went up and saw that there weren't only two corpses in the building but five in total. Asked the lord about trouble and he confirmed that there was an insurrection at the moment.
Left the keep, met further corpses scattered across the streets and decided to retire to look inside Legends.

Why?
Because I never had an insurrection in which the goal was to slaughter me.
And then it became strange.
The people which attacked me were members of the site group. They weren't part of any insurrection - especially not the high ape, as she was the wife of the lord.
The only difference between us was the membership of a site group and the deity we worshipped (me: a god of death and disease; them: a god of nature).
The group could not be the reason for the fighting as my ally was member of their group, too.
But he worshipped my god, not theirs.
The only reason had to be a religious one.
And this I never had happen before.
If this is intended, it would be awesome.

Edit:
"Umcos Partneredrasps the Angelic Sheen of Knighting"
This sounds a lot more reasonable - and such a name I get from slaughtering members of another god.
Holy crusade inside DF.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:08:57 pm by SaD-82 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: April 12, 2015, 02:08:39 pm »

man I really should explain the world I modded in. because it's slightly different from a normal.
mostly all the main races have each other site type, so when I wander into a town I have to ask is this filled with NecroDwarves, Humans, gobbos, and/or elves and god necromancy on the dwarves is split between ressurection and reanimation with Resurrection with usage hint: friendly usually don't reanimate as it's some weird clean bit this goes with cats... but cats don't have "notliving" flag on to protect them from the thrall they raise, then I installed the spellcraft mod which doesn't work on Dwarves and these spells kinda messes with the tower layout as the tower just fills the place with what ever spell minion effect and some of the spells are a 2 parter where the guy has to raise the dead to burn the dead into a special syndrome to turn it into a new minion. so the place is filled with brimstone and fire and dead corpses of master and minion all kinds of bloodshed also there's a chance the slab could have Melted in the crossfire from Hate all life super zombies being stuck in a place with still living mages with their demon characters.
then the dwarf faction or well mountain entity has elves, humans, goblins in the raw so while there could be pure elves, gobbo, and human , then dwarf-_ who believes the same as a dwarf who hangs out in the mountain home and murder a bear even though they are an elf.

So this crazy world filled with tunnels interconnected by different faction Mountain homes also the fact hell is interconnected to the caverns and you can just fast travel out of the place if you're lucky enough to cross into a underground road is Crazy.
that all said really REALLY need to mod in an angel or bogeyman interaction race to spice up the mix.

but yeah insurrections are super weird like the old entity are fighting back the new one.

"body swapping and YOU!"

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: April 12, 2015, 02:13:49 pm »

Strikenstrife aka Talonpower is "an enormous feathered hedgehog twisted into humanoid form. It has a bloated body Its yellow-green feathers are long and narrow Beware its fire!"

"He is average in size."

Hm, average for what? According to size info, his base size is 970000. For comparison, average adult human size is 7000. His current size is 1139051. He's bipedal, so I interpret his 'length_cur' of 2237 to be his height. Mine is also apparently average at 483.

I really don't think this guy is going to blend into a crowd, even if it were a crowd of yellow-green brutes.

EDIT: At the dark fortress I visited just before, I learned what you get from deconstructing generic rock block walls. You get magma. Magma that you can stand on while deconstructing other generic rock block walls, that you can pick up in your hands and put into your backpack with no ill effect. Magma that only starts melting your hand after you drop it. So now my left hand is a leaner hand, as befitting the sinister hand. I might have waited to see what else would happen to it, if it weren't raining outside. I took the magma out and dropped it on the ground, where it did not instantly turn me into a cube of obsidian. When I left it was still sitting out in the rain.

But the fortress with the demon master was made of slade, which I only noticed after exploring it. I had dropped down a pit to the 2nd cavern layer and saw the walls still there, so I circled around it for an entrance, then made one. The interior was one wide open floor with winding pathways leading up and down. I was surprised to find the path up lead back into the upper fortress, through a hatch I overlooked. The way down lead to a square room with nothing but 2 pillars. I tried making my claim there, but didn't gain control. Maybe I have to banish this guy to get it, but I don't want to give him up so soon after coming all this damn way.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:50:48 pm by Uzu Bash »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: April 12, 2015, 06:16:34 pm »

-[snip]-
"Do you smell that, Mr. Rumrusher? That is the smell of inevitability."
'Uh, no, that's actually brimstone, which means the cat necromancers, dwarf ailuronecromancers, elf necropyronecromancers, and those who shall remain nameless are marching here!'
"So?"
'In other words, run!'

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: April 12, 2015, 06:41:54 pm »

This demon is pathetic. Chaos and war, but his only kills are 3 murders of his own civ. He's lost every war, and ever since losing this fortress he's been a member of an elvish civ. The civ he's nominal master of considers him a former member and a criminal; seems they aren't so socially tolerant of murders from a turncoat.

I thought I wouldn't go away empty-handed if I filled my hands with demon meat, so I went at him. I was able to fracture his bones repeatedly with a steel pick, but that didn't disable anything, couldn't stop him from charging no matter how many times I smashed his paws. I switched to divine sword, but that was completely blunted by his masterwork fiber clothing. So I switched to pike, but accidentally put away my shield instead of the sword:

You put the -ョ*square twisting metal shield*ッ- into the *adamantine quiver*.
You take out the crashing metal pike.

The master breathes fire!
You are caught in a cloud of flames!
You are on fire!

You stab The master in the head from behind with your crashing metal pike, tearing the muscle, chipping the skull and tearing the brain through the ョ*large hemp plant fiber hood*ッ!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!

Sangosmtospas Kabu Nur, Yellow-green Brute has been struck down.

You are on fire!
You are on fire!

You cannot travel until you leave this site.
You regain consciousness.
You stand up.

You put the crashing metal pike into the *adamantine quiver*.
You take out the -ョ*square twisting metal shield*ッ-.

And that was with only Novice Pikeman. Though I managed to sleep before the bleeding started, some of the fat had melted away. Not enough to improve my sprint rate yet.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:44:04 pm by Uzu Bash »

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: April 13, 2015, 05:20:18 pm »

What I learned about fighting Vampiric Dragons:

1) First thing that should be understood is that if a Vampiric Dragon is going to get you, it's going to get you. There is no way around that no matter how high your stats or how thick your armor is.

Spoiler: Oh Hai :D (click to show/hide)

2) Try to soil yourself as much as possible as you're flung thirty yards and into a tree sans your internals the literal half-second after you see the Vampiric Dragon. This will not save you, of course, but it will make the Vampiric Dragon's next meal really gross and that is a tiny kind of revenge.

3) Try and angle the trajectory of your body at your companions  so it will kill them and deny the Vampiric Dragon it's terrible pleasures.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:25:52 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: April 13, 2015, 05:59:09 pm »

Talking vampire dragons, no way that could go wrong.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: April 13, 2015, 06:51:17 pm »

Another FB, made of bloodstone, beware its poisonous breath. This time it was a cloud attack, which can't be blocked, but fortunately it only had a Stun effect. So I drew out the combat to figure out ways to defend against it. A cloud won't expand around obstructions, so jumping behind them will shield you, if you can get there quick enough. Multi-attacking quick strikes and dodging to cover can keep you out of the way of it. With respiratory poisons, the effect won't be immediate, though I'm not sure how long you can remain in it before it hits you. I don't know if contact poisons work in this version, I've rarely seen residual extract after any of these bursts, and then only briefly. A burst of fire works immediately, so I assume a coating of some syndrome would, too. This kind of attack is potentially as deadly as webbing, especially in close quarters, but the variety of extract types leaves a good chance you'll encounter a less effective one.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1104