Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100074 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #8010 on: April 06, 2015, 10:19:12 am »

All of them are unarmed citizens except for the leader. That's the only I wanted a real fight with. Apparently he singlehandedly killed all 41 defenders. Their civ had been getting their ass kicked in a war with a human civ, but this was the one battle they won, out of 13 battles. They sent 1897 elves; not quite the overwhelming force it appears to be because only one was capable of fighting, and he was apparently a one man army. Since he's the only leader that has a stake in this town, he's the one I would have to murder. But I don't really have a taste for civilian massacres or ethnic cleansing, so no, I'm killing all of them. I don't need to, I have real fights to find.

Anyway, I'm just going to table this for now and decide something after I get back from retirement. If I lose my lordship in spite of the crap I'm going through to keep it, then I'll just come back and seize every settlement I can get, and there are quite a lot.

Fishanchips

• Bay Watcher
  • Look! The cliffs of INSANITY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: April 07, 2015, 09:43:49 am »

Well.... I had a chat with an evil overlord who had taken over a hamlet. Some highlights are

How are you feeling?
It is great to be surrounded by family!
Tell me about your family.
I have no family to speak of.

You look like a mighty warrior indeed!
I am overlord. I was once wood burner.

What do you think of me?
You are thuggish. You bullied me!. You are also a pleasure to speak with.
http://wiki.ss13.co/images/c/c8/ClownandAlien.jpeg

A screeching clown car pulls up to the safe house!
Circus members pour out of it and start throwing pies at the windows!

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: April 07, 2015, 10:54:30 am »

Sometimes I feel a little bad playing DF (countering this sentence by adding: In a good way.).

Travelled across the countryside and stopped at a hamlet which was inhabited by humans and goblins.
Did my usual trip - searching for nice stuff while making smalltalk with the people - when I encountered a goblin who, as I asked him, how he was feeling, responded: "I'd rather not say."
I found this to be a little impolite.

While moving on with my tour across the hamlet I considered how I had to punish him for being this rude to a stranger who was nice and friendly.
Strangle him?
Rip him apart?
Don't ever talk to him again?
Suddenly I met a goblin who stated that he was the paternal grandfather of grumpy goblin.
I admit that I started smiling...
I drew my weapons when I realized:
Grouchy goblin won't just have a paternal grandfather.
I put my weapons away and nicely talked to grandpa, asking him about his huge family.
Said a nice farewell, slew him and took his head.
And then my journey began.

Slowly worked my way across the world, gathered heads and eyes. Everyone of this family told me about new members and I slowly realized that this would be a long way to go. And I went it. Visited camps, dark pits, towns, fortresses, retreats and my back began to hurt by the sheer amount of heads I carried with me.
On one occasion I was ambushed by three goblins - one of them was the cousin of the nephew of the mother of another cousin of gruffy goblin. He travelled with a friend and his son. Two at the price of one.
Happily murdered my way along the sites (two goblins were slain by trolls in front of me but I guess, I'm okay with that as I smiled by the harsh treating they received) - felt some guilt as I stabbed two goblin childs (nobody said that the task would be easy but someone had to do it) - and finally returned to the hamlet where I started the bloody walk.
All in all I slew 78 family members (the youngest one was one year old, the oldest one 128 years).
On my way I found a chest where I stored the eyes and the heads were clustering my backpacks.
I visited my little buddy, arranged the heads around him and put the chest in front of him.

And then I asked him:
"How are you feeling?"
"I'd rather not say."
"Well..."
Did he get the chance to recognize some of his family? I hope he did.
After the third mentioned name (I took care that I started with his father and mother and then finally talking about his aunt who also was his niece) he attacked me.
I let him power out until he wanted to retreat, severed his leg and let him die of blood loss while throwing eyes at him...

And the moral of this story?
Always be polite to strangers as you don't know if they are massmurdering psychos.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: April 07, 2015, 12:16:26 pm »

Got back to Roarssabre, to my own Keep. There was an elvish lord standing there with a name I recognized. I greeted and asked him about the local ruler. He said he was, and that he was right in all matters. Hang a sec, he was one of my hearthfolk when I left! The traitor! I reasserted The Righteous Act's claim, but failed to regain control. I repeated the claim to the law-giver standing by, and she said she didn't really care. Well, it's good to know he didn't have her support, but that didn't return control either. I found later that even though she's lawgiver of an empire, she's also a member of my site government. I took that as defacto support for an independent city-state, and I promised her my tribute in gratitude.

I revoked his status as hearthperson and demanded his government pay tribute to mine. He accepted, yet I still didn't regain control. So I exchanged his crossbow for a punch in the gut -- I was trying not to shed any more blood on the floor of my Keep, and didn't appreciate the addition of vomit, either. He shrieked in denial and refused to fight me. I grabbed him by the neck and threw him doorward, and he finally took the hint and excused his scrawny elven ass from my Keep. That returned control of the city and keep to me. No one had made a move either for or against him, but I was informed by the next person I spoke to that an Insurrection against me had begun.

Apparently he found his courage while I was catching up on sleep, as I was awoken by his attack. This time one of the others did engage him, non-lethally, and after slapping him a few times and demanding an end to hostilities, he gave up. I asked him what his trouble was and he accused me of murdering a vampire lord who I killed to take over in the first place. That vampire was declared an enemy of my government and the empire, yet this prick still held a grudge over eliminating him? That makes him not just a traitor to me, but to his own civ, and I realized I would have to assassinate him to put an end to his threat to the peace. I kicked him in the gut until he retreated, and once out the door I targeted his head until he was finally slain. I put a campfire over his remains (after collecting his pouch for the treasury, of course.)

That didn't end the insurrection, though. I had to wait in the Keep for a representative of each of the 40 factions vying for control to appear. Each of the showed up and reverted from their noble title to commoner, again and again until I lost track. I kept hearing reports that I had waited out the Insurrection, but that must have referred to the previous one, because every time I left to tour the city, another asterisk came from out of town straight toward the keep, and I had to race to get there first. When I thought that must have been all of them, I retired in the Keep. Legends didn't show that it had ended, but when I came out of retirement, at the top of my event list was the declaration that it had failed, and I was still Lord. Success!

Retirement wiped out all of the sites from my journal and narrowed the map fov to the region I was in. It also gave me lifelong acquaintance with people I'd just met, and people who died before my adventurer had even begun. It didn't narrow down the spamload of wildlife encounters from my event list ??? and it didn't give me the ability to brew booze. I still wasn't a member of any civ, so maybe I still have a chance to begin a new one.

Fishanchips

• Bay Watcher
  • Look! The cliffs of INSANITY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: April 07, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »

Best guy I have ever had killed 40+ assorted vampires and such had a lot of armour, most skills I have ever had ect, ect.

Then the game crashes.

Fishanchips was killed by the game in the year 2015.

Cuuuuuurse yooooooou gaaaaaaame!
http://wiki.ss13.co/images/c/c8/ClownandAlien.jpeg

A screeching clown car pulls up to the safe house!
Circus members pour out of it and start throwing pies at the windows!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: April 07, 2015, 11:47:56 pm »

Sometimes I feel a little bad playing DF (countering this sentence by adding: In a good way.).
-
And the moral of this story?
Always be polite to strangers as you don't know if they are massmurdering psychos.

I am so saving this to my drive.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: April 08, 2015, 03:34:24 pm »

Ooookay...
Met a female human crossbowman who is over 700 years old (by reading the death dates of her parents and guessing at which year she was born).
She is neither a vampire nor any other form of undead.
She offers her services for hire and the only things in her description are the colour of her hair/skin/eyes and that she is incredibly muscular.
I'm really tempted to hire her - maybe even playing as herself.
Her white hair will make a nice contrast to the blood which will cover her in the near future.
Then again, I have the feeling that she will die of old age as soon as we meet some nasty beasts.
But I'm really tempted...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: April 08, 2015, 03:55:04 pm »

Hunting forgotten beast is very nerve-wracking. It's like a titan that you can't see from a distance, and will probably only get to react when it's already on top of you. It's a mysterious horror in the dark. Recently some idiot dwarves moved back into this ruin; these certainly aren't the kind of guys who survive horror films. I thought I might use them as decoys.

Creatures in these ruins usually lurk in the workshops, but I still cover all area as I come to it, so I was searching through the monotonous warren of cubby apartments the world fortresses generate. The first dwarf I ran into spooked the hell out of me. He was spooked, too "Is that a weapon? What's going on?" What an idiot; a guy with a weapon is far from the worst thing that could bust into your room in this place. He was just a peasant. So were the next two I ran into.

I was starting to get bored enough that I almost didn't notice the giant beetle directly on the other side of the door I opened, and then I just stood in shock. A flying bug, just a body and a shell type, but beware it's poisonous breath! I went for broke with a charging thrust. It breathed, I blocked, my sword went through its body into the brain, instantly killing.

My nerves are still rattled. I should be relieved, but it irks me that it was able to get a breath in at all. My shield use is legendary, but what if that's not enough? Maybe the sounder tactic would have been to duck back first and wait for its approach. I don't even want to take the slightest chance with this kind of creature. At least it didn't leave the kind of extract that destroys a prosperous fort years after it's already been slain. And I get forgotten beast heart roast with plump helmets and plums!

EDIT: Oh, and for slaying a forgotten beast that destroyed their city ~1000 years ago, I'm just a killer. Not a brave killer, not a heroic or legendary hero, just a killer. Where the fuck is my respect?!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 03:57:45 pm by Uzu Bash »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: April 08, 2015, 05:11:38 pm »

Hunting forgotten beast is very nerve-wracking. It's like a titan that you can't see from a distance, and will probably only get to react when it's already on top of you. It's a mysterious horror in the dark. Recently some idiot dwarves moved back into this ruin; these certainly aren't the kind of guys who survive horror films. I thought I might use them as decoys.

Creatures in these ruins usually lurk in the workshops, but I still cover all area as I come to it, so I was searching through the monotonous warren of cubby apartments the world fortresses generate. The first dwarf I ran into spooked the hell out of me. He was spooked, too "Is that a weapon? What's going on?" What an idiot; a guy with a weapon is far from the worst thing that could bust into your room in this place. He was just a peasant. So were the next two I ran into.

I was starting to get bored enough that I almost didn't notice the giant beetle directly on the other side of the door I opened, and then I just stood in shock. A flying bug, just a body and a shell type, but beware it's poisonous breath! I went for broke with a charging thrust. It breathed, I blocked, my sword went through its body into the brain, instantly killing.

My nerves are still rattled. I should be relieved, but it irks me that it was able to get a breath in at all. My shield use is legendary, but what if that's not enough? Maybe the sounder tactic would have been to duck back first and wait for its approach. I don't even want to take the slightest chance with this kind of creature. At least it didn't leave the kind of extract that destroys a prosperous fort years after it's already been slain. And I get forgotten beast heart roast with plump helmets and plums!

EDIT: Oh, and for slaying a forgotten beast that destroyed their city ~1000 years ago, I'm just a killer. Not a brave killer, not a heroic or legendary hero, just a killer. Where the fuck is my respect?!
you are, what they say you are, that 1000 year old city is pretty much lost to history anyone who would have care about it is long dead or are immortal thus later turn out to be hated. combine that with entities being born every time someone overthrow the last one makes historical past crimes vanish.

like that might clear up the whole behavior bits in Adventure mode there's no lasting historical entity since entities are governments and if there's a new government then there's a new blank slate for history and all the past stuff gets wipe from the citizens eye.

then there's the whole ruins bit when forgotten beast breaks a town they don't murder everyone more so cause everyone to migrate to another nearby town and if said town had an insurrection then those peasants going to forget the reason to care about that past event and not use it as a icebreaker for a conversation. that said family members getting killed is a sure fire way to get people to praise your actions.

I have a hunch on bandits and wonder if they too don't have any history and killing them is just like killing a peasant.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: April 08, 2015, 05:25:26 pm »

you are, what they say you are, that 1000 year old city is pretty much lost to history anyone who would have care about it is long dead or are immortal thus later turn out to be hated. combine that with entities being born every time someone overthrow the last one makes historical past crimes vanish.
Well, contrast that to a dragon who ruined a fortress within a decade of that same time span, yet hadn't been active for 800 years. If I tell some peasant on the other side of the world who should give more of a fuck about sustaining themselves that I'd done it, I would be hailed a hero (and wtf is with them giving me quests to places they've never heard of or give a shit about, anyway?) As recently as 40 years ago this forgotten beast has killed dwarves from the same civ, yet it's still forgotten. So the situation is a lot simpler than you're suggesting; forgotten beasts, for all their threat to civ and adventurer, just don't have the same status as a roc or hydra.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: April 08, 2015, 06:31:14 pm »

Yeah, I had the surreal experience of there being two fortresses really nearby who had been lost, one to a hydra, one to a FB, I headed inside and was peeking around corners expecting at any moment for a web spewing rabbit made of vomit and pain to jump out and begin humping my earballs out or something... and then find myself relieved to discover that it was only a hydra in the far side of a workshop.

"Oh, it's just a multi-attacking damage sponge, whew, I can deal with this."

Apparently the FB I was looking for was in another castle, Mario.

My nerves are still rattled. I should be relieved, but it irks me that it was able to get a breath in at all. My shield use is legendary, but what if that's not enough?
I'm not sure where I first saw this but someone recently suggested that dragons won't breathe at point blank range, which is very wrong and I am glad, a point blank burst of breath is soaked by your shield and then gone.

At longer ranges it still spreads around you, very dramatic, for sure, but far more annoying if you're surrounded by flammable objects, like wooden toys, grass, animals, goblins, elves, dorfs, humans, corpses, the sky, and so forth.
I think there might be an issue with the FB getting a resident tag in the fort, as I recall.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: April 08, 2015, 06:35:32 pm »

just ran through an elf bandit camp dual wielding my masterwork iron longswords that i decorate with the teeth of things i kill, bodies missing heads everywhere, there were at least 15 elfs in the camp and they were all awake, now they are all headless corpses, i think my guy has reached that point where he just never really dies, time to go find a vampire and a necromancer tower :D

whats weird is i'm a killer and a villain even tho i am only killing bandits who have been terrorizing towns anyways

and then my game crashes and i loose all the awesome progress i made as well as my iron greaves :C
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:20:39 pm by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: April 09, 2015, 04:42:52 am »

I started to underestimate weapon masters after fighting so many naked vampires. For the second time Torgal's Messenger has given me a wake-up call that weaponmasters can be dangerous, if they have a weapon. So soon after crafting a masterwork bloodthorn crutch, I thought I was going to have to use it for life. Fortunately I got away with only sensory damage, so I will no longer feel the colony of athlete's foot thriving in my left sock.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: April 09, 2015, 07:47:35 am »

So soon after crafting a masterwork bloodthorn crutch, I thought I was going to have to use it for life.

Are you using a specific mod to do this or have you changed the raws yourself?
(Or maybe constructed it via Fortress Mode.)
I'm asking solely because if there is an actual mod which lets you create a bunch of useful tools I don't have to do it manually.

And I don't refer to Wanderer's Mod as I want to use wood/stone, too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:51:05 am by SaD-82 »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: April 09, 2015, 08:25:28 am »

So soon after crafting a masterwork bloodthorn crutch, I thought I was going to have to use it for life.
Are you using a specific mod to do this or have you changed the raws yourself?
(Or maybe constructed it via Fortress Mode.)
Just advfort, a dfhack plugin. Anything a fortress dwarf can do, you can do. Actually, I'm much more restricted than that, as an outsider there's so many things I can't produce. I can't even make booze! A high density crutch is the best weapon I can possibly make.

EDIT: 2500 ticks for one strand extraction job. Just how committed am I to making an adamantine backpack?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:35:22 am by Uzu Bash »
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1104