Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100186 times)

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7950 on: March 30, 2015, 06:59:05 pm »

Thought I created a nice little world which seemed to be relatively peaceful.
Then found a mule leather sandal.
"On the item is a finely-designed image of humans in dog bone. The humans are laughing. The artwork relates to the defeat of the Hale Cacti and pillaging of Stokepoets by The Celebrated Nation in the early spring of 805 during The 1149th (!!!) Pillaging of Stokepoets."
1149th...
Get yourselves some TV and relax...

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #7951 on: March 30, 2015, 07:19:23 pm »

"On the item is a finely-designed image of humans in dog bone. The humans are laughing. The artwork relates to the defeat of the Hale Cacti and pillaging of Stokepoets by The Celebrated Nation in the early spring of 805 during The 1149th (!!!) Pillaging of Stokepoets."
1149th...

That reminds me of this. XD

The second rampage of the goblin Snang Menacefrightened.
I can imagine a really pissed-off goblin just going up to a live pig and biting it.
This apparently isn't the first time this has happened, but the villagers of Tightnessroot apparently just put up with Snang's shit rather than doing anything about it. I wish I still had the save file, I kind of want to look him up in Legends now.

Edit: Took me three tries to get the link right >_<
Regards,
Dampe

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: March 30, 2015, 07:26:45 pm »

When I cracked the Vault, I had full iron coverage. The last town I visited had presented me with a warehouse full of iron, every iron piece I could ever want or need -- after I'd already scrabbled my kit together piecemeal over the course of an adventuring career. I browsed it briefly and exchanged a few pieces for slightly better quality, but no real upgrades. I also entered with L+5 Armor Use, L+1 Shield Use and a masterwork fungiwood shield, and a silver whip with GM level skill.

The Assistants of Titthalison were about as tough as cave crocodiles with thicker skin. The Lucky Slayers were about as difficult as elite level vampires. The Catastrophe of Playfulplans didn't have any of the specials that make an FB truly heinous, but it was still the toughest fight I'd had in a long time, until I used one of the translucent halberds I'd picked up and took it's head off in midair. With only Novice Axeman. After that I just one-shotted everything else in there.

After checking under the bodies for any hatches or levers that may be hidden under them, I tried reveal on the place and found an unusable upward slope that was supposed to lead to a series of slopes to another lever. I deconstructed the slade blocks to those slopes, opened more bars, fought another bunch of angels and came to a huge empty room. No slab. I don't have any great need for a demon or his empire, but I was expecting a bigger boss fight, and a trove of a variety of divine weapons with a big shiny artifact on top. Kind of anti-climax here.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: March 30, 2015, 08:30:31 pm »

1149th...
You would think that Stokepoets would have a fairly good army by the time it got pillaged for the third time. Then again, common sense doesn't exist in Dwarf Fortress.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: March 30, 2015, 09:46:15 pm »

You wanna know the best part of werebeasts? It isn't seeing them as an adventurer and then getting turned into one, it isn't seeing the funny engravings, it isn't even having them silently bash your dorfs in the head with massive warhammers... no, it's this:

A fearsome human attacks!

Rawr, I'm a fearsome human, grrrr, rawrrr, fear my kinda sharp and rather small teeth and utter lack of claws!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: March 31, 2015, 03:37:52 am »

Huh... so I was mistaken about having killed Meyi Lilactin the elf princess twice.

That's just confusing.

"Hi, my name's Meyi Meyithono."
'Wow, so is mine, wanna go out some time?'
"Oh yeah, I can't wait to make you say uh... our name later..."

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: March 31, 2015, 11:46:35 am »

The next vault was kind of fun for the action, but crap for loot. It was 4 tiles deep into the center of a mountain range that I planned to cross anyway to get to an FB, a titan and a hydra. The Attendants were tougher and charged very quickly and frequently. The Slayers of Lerdiino didn't seem tougher even though they were so much bigger that I couldn't wear their clothes; now I know how dwarves and elves feel about these vaults. They had a better selection of weapons even though the Axemen spawned with four shields and no axe. The Behemoth of Lerdiino didn't seem much harder to take down than the Attendants, even with a silver whip, but I didn't give him any chance to charge.

I hope the bunch in the next vault are more rewarding, because there are 3 vaults with the exact same ensemble. Wealth's Puppets, Togal's Messengers and Ruinations of Togal sound like they would have a good payout.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: March 31, 2015, 01:31:02 pm »

Just ertired a legendary fighter. I hadn't done all I wanted to, but I had done enough.

The ending was poetic, as a companion who grew to like me even though I accidentally killed someone, was murdered by goblins before I could save her, then I broke through some goblin armies in anger, found a hamlet, realised I had stumbled though some dark fortresses, and gone full circle, in a world cut in half by goblins and pits, with my initial campaigns against outlaws and goblins, my kills of infamous wild animals, my adventures in a joyous wilds, the second huge and third small civilisation I found, the inotaur, the megabeast, and the accidental murder in the dark catacombs where ethics grew foggy of Mushroomsquashed of my friend Anba Beachcombed the Immortal Companion, the megabeast, rocs, dragons, vampires, night creatures and ettins, and the final incredibly difficult fights against webbing, armoured megabeasts and hordes of goblins, it all came flashing back. A lovely difficulty curve and a lovely story: both my interesting, long lasting companions were worshippers of the bronze collossus people had been asking me to kill for months, and I gave the girl, an OK lasher, the statue formed of seal men for borrowing her whip to fight it. In a world shaped like a ring, with mountains and joyous wilds at the centre, and shrines, towns, fortresses, pits, and lairs scattered round the edges. It was beautiful. But all stories have to end, and I retired soon as I broke through the dark pits that had meant I could onlly go 1 torturous way round the world.
One wheel short of a wagon

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: March 31, 2015, 04:00:34 pm »

He was so startled by my presence he forgot his own name for a second:

Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: March 31, 2015, 05:16:59 pm »

Always funny.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: March 31, 2015, 05:55:38 pm »

I just found another vampire, and I'm taking precaution since the last time I tried killing a vampire, other people in the area tried to kill me.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: March 31, 2015, 06:49:56 pm »

Apparently my last retired adventurer was killed in a battle with the same elvish civ that got asswhooped by my fort. He was killed by an elf who did nothing but animal caretaking for 900 years, her only skill was Animal Caretaking - Adequate (1500), then she got 5 named kills in one day. What's more his civ attacked with 84 members and had 90 losses. Where'd the other 6 come from? The elves only lost 1 out of 18 in this. And when they attacked my fort, one of their guys was struck down 6 times. I don't mean 6 elves with the same name; there's only 1 with his name, and under his entry he was struck down by a sheep, a dog and 4 different dwarves. The numbers are mighty fishy.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: March 31, 2015, 06:53:03 pm »

I just found another vampire, and I'm taking precaution since the last time I tried killing a vampire, other people in the area tried to kill me.

Yeah, the accusation of vampires is bugged.
Just pretend that the normal townspeople, who spit on you and try to stab you, are hypnotized lambs of their masters.
And slay them.
Or pretend not.
And slay them.
Or just slay anybody in the world.
So much choices...

Found a nice human civ in which the hamlets are full of superior-crafted and masterfully-crafted leatherwork. They seemingly have a thriving economy which suits my light-footed thief very well. Got some nice armour. On the contrary the mead halls are just little buidlings with one floor and nothing in it besides the usual lord/lady and some guards.
I have to visit the nearby towns - though I guess they won't be too splendid if I recall the rumours about vampires and criminal organizations.
Then again they surely wear nice clothes.
Sold.

And when they attacked my fort, one of their guys was struck down 6 times. I don't mean 6 elves with the same name; there's only 1 with his name, and under his entry he was struck down by a sheep, a dog and 4 different dwarves. The numbers are mighty fishy.

Is there an active necromancer in that area?
Had this once as a goblin was reanimated a bunch of times.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:56:35 pm by SaD-82 »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: March 31, 2015, 09:05:17 pm »

Forest titan - amber sauropod, shoots webs. It can only shoot webs 1 zlvl above itself, and didn't have grasping appendages to climb or wings to fly. I climbed a tree and lept from pillar to pillar to get as close as was safe above it, and chucked a few crashing spears and jagged swords; these things are so light, you can carry quivers full of them for less encumbrance than rocks or missiles. That fractured his upper both and front right leg. Then I jumped to the pillar opposite and dropped down right behind him, drew the steel pick and started swinging. The third swing broke it asunder, then he turned around and shot web all over me. I struggled, got partially free, he didn't do anything, got fully free, he still didn't do anything, so I hit him once more to break his neck and destroy him. Maybe sneak mode works to some degree? Or maybe he's just stupid.

I don't know how I would handle this if it were a climber. If it were a flier, I think bring ranged fighters and try to lure him as high and in the clear as possible, so most the damage would be done by him dropping to the ground. Maybe by staying on top of the pillars you can avoid a hard landing if his web hits you.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: April 01, 2015, 03:56:04 am »

Wow. I can never even kill flesh webbers. Climbing is seeming unnecessary for simple stuff but soooo cool at the moment.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 1104