Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100333 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7845 on: March 21, 2015, 11:30:01 am »

If there isn't a legit way to remove or get bypass the curse then I'm justified in cheating it and everything that can deliver it out of the game. And please don't suggest "don't go into tombs!" as a way to avoid it, that's like asking me not to breathe. Adventurers raid tombs, that's what they do.

EDIT: Well, the town of Garnishedsomeshit is safe from harassment, but this doesn't feel like a victory. I sacrificed way too many. Companions I'd seen survive anything died here. Now my character has a reason for tears.

Oh well, I've elisted a vampire since she's most likely to survive, and I can have an emergency supply of vampire blood. She was a law-giver 400 years ago, and in this empire law-givers tend to duel each other for rulership, so she has the combat skills. And if I ever need a Beekeeper, she's the best I'll ever find. Her goal is to spread world peace. I can get behind that. Together, we can make a very big omelet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:17:10 pm by Uzu Bash »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: March 21, 2015, 12:17:06 pm »

I've managed to loot tombs simply by staying in sneak mode and making sure not to step on or adjacent to the coffin. Did more DF2014 change that? Early DF2014 stealth and conflict AI were kinda broken, after all.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: March 21, 2015, 12:21:19 pm »

I've managed to loot tombs simply by staying in sneak mode and making sure not to step on or adjacent to the coffin. Did more DF2014 change that? Early DF2014 stealth and conflict AI were kinda broken, after all.
I don't think there any changes, it's just that stealth is broken, so that's not the way to evade a mummy's curse. That you have no means to get rid of it once acquired was always broken.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: March 21, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »

Thing is, so long as the mummy doesn't awaken, you should be safe from getting cursed. Now I recall before, it used to be if you picked up anything in the entire tomb, it'd auto-wake and curse you, but now it seems like being stealthed allows safe looting.

About to have my kobold bandit go exploring some tombs, so...oh! You said you brought companions in, right? They likely woke the bastard up, companions don't "get" subtleties like sneaking around. I suggest ordering them to wait outside. >w>
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: March 21, 2015, 12:58:11 pm »

You said you brought companions in, right? They likely woke the bastard up, companions don't "get" subtleties like sneaking around. I suggest ordering them to wait outside. >w>
Ah, that was it. I had a companion when I woke the first one. So that's the way around it now, sacrifice someone who wants to die anyway. Sucks that I have to throw away a character that lasted this long over some shit that doesn't belong in a game.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: March 21, 2015, 01:16:49 pm »

WHY AM I THE WEREGUINEA-PIG FOR YOUR CRAZY CHEESETOWER BATTLES?

Srsly.

Just figured that Scenario would've be !!FUN!! even just to theorized and right up there with your escapades. My bad Max I really should dust off my Venturing boots and play again some time.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: March 21, 2015, 06:12:47 pm »

I just wanted an excuse to say that sentence, how often do you get that chance?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: March 22, 2015, 01:47:42 am »

Bampu:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My name precedes me, Cacame Ghostspider the Sculpted Rocks of Bleeding (very fitting since I was using self-carved obsidian swords at first, once I found and killed a dragon I carved swords out of the bones with my own version of the wanderer's mod until I got masterworks and since I've got dragonbone having steel properties I went ahead and dfhacked the obsidian ones into dragonbone to keep the kills list continuous) rescuer of children, slayer of monsters, determined to become the last and dorfiest elf of them all, even if it means exterminating all the lesser elves.

Oh hey, another Ettin, my first kill and initial power-up was from the heart of an Ettin, I wonder what this one will think of me...
Well that's just rude, you'd think I'd been chasing them around hacking at them while telling them about all the beasts I've killed.

Whatever, wonder if there's anything interesting in this town... oh hey, a priest, wonder if he has anything to say:
Ah, that's normal enou- wait, did you just say "the blood-drinker will not allow the chattel to rise" or did I imagine it?

*heads to the keep, tells the folks there of my legendary feats, figures out who the vampire is and outs them, then things get a little weird*
Hmmm, so outing a vampire makes them go from praising you for killing dragons and hydras to calling you a murderer over it, and apparently the lady there doesn't mind when said vamp-spit hits her, ah well, what must be done will be done, and they will forgive me for it eventually.

Hmmm, another dragon cave, I'll carve some armor and stuff and leave it for the next adventurer, drop some balm's of power as well, may as well see if the coins have anything interesting on them:

A goblin queen eh? That is pretty interesting, but given the nature of this world, that isn't so unexpected:

Still, I have confirmed something, "greatly respected for heroic acts" seems to be above "legendary hero", because I've done enough sharing of my feats in those various sites to normally be labeled a legendary hero, but the addition of kid rescuing and the specific relevance of which beasts I slew and discussed with the folks pushed me over to the greatly respected level of fame in multiple sites.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: March 22, 2015, 10:50:20 am »

Poked around in one of the tombs in what seems to be an entire tomb complex, and it seems that some goblins are here as well. How dare they go tomb-raiding before us kobolds could get here? owo

Ordered my companions to stay behind while I went goblin hunting. First one I encountered was a swordsgoblin who, as soon as I tried to chuck a sling stone at him, ran into one of the tombs. Seems that just intruding doesn't awaken the mummy, as far as I can tell.

Snuck in, poked around until I found the room he was in. He decided to stand there facing AWAY from the door. Then the Fun began. Well from him, not me. Since I wasn't sure if I could stealth-rock into into submission reliably, I decided I'd punch him to get his attention, put away my weapons, and krav-maga to death.

So that "initiate weapon grab, then jump" thing I've been having Fun with from another thread does have a couple caveats. One is the attacker can still potentially interrupt themselves to dodge your attempted grab, but that still negates their attack. Two is that if you're a dinky little kobold (or otherwise way smaller than your opponent), you'll go flying away without their weapon.

Grabbing and jumping INTO them works just fine it seems, despite the size difference. Goblin, meet wall. Wall, meet goblin. I'm sure you two will get along just fine.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: March 22, 2015, 01:34:04 pm »

Started an elf adventurer, practitioner of Kisat Dur (I'm really bad at this) and a studied battlemage. So I went for a wander in the forest retreats' shaping trees or whatever. The only things any of them contain are enormous stacks of peaches and feather tree egg yolk.
Which is cool, because a stack of peaches is only 4urists in weight and feather tree egg yolk, though heavy enough to overburden my peasant, is safe for the purpose of drinking. And comes in huge stacks.
So now I have a stack of 99 egg yolks and 180 odd peaches, and I will never need to eat anything but peaches and creamyolks for the rest of my days.

Interestingly enough the one market tree I found had as many plums as peaches, and yolk of course.
I can't figure these elves. They seem the normal hippy lot, but they have none of the usual weapons and no domestic animals or war animals. The world is 446 years old but the nearest civ is a hundred miles away, so they haven't made war, I dont think, but they still have had to deal with the megabeasts. There are no historical figures well-traveled enough to give me directions to any lairs, and those lairs inhabited by megabeasts are all they care about. I'm just going to have to take my egg yolk and peaches and go nag the goblins.

Or I guess I could use my amazing(ly terrible) martial arts skills and magic to murder them all. World doesn't need peaches and plant-egg yolk.

Also, unicorns still hate elves. All other wildlife will forgive me for beating them up, but unicorns won't let me within 100 yards of them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: March 22, 2015, 06:20:25 pm »

Hmmm... Found a site with a law-giver and a goblin warlord being aggressive, beat them down, asked the law-giver about them, this took place:
"It's for the best" indeed.

Later I found a weirdly secluded king+mayor+general+champion in a fort off in the northern "middle of nowhere" section. Was telling him about stuff to see if I could get to be greatly respected for heroic acts from another civ, in case it was not one of the four I'm already famous in. He interrupted me mid-brag with an interesting... question?

Uh... well, I've never actually had that happen before.

Found several battles taking place and caught a goblin beatdown:
They're all surrounding and beating the crap out of the swordgob in the center... poor guy.

Noticed these near the edge of the map:
...used liquids to put a bridge out there with obsidian floors until I reached them to find... drowning goblins? Worst patrol duty ever.

Oh, and you gotta love when the npc's get so overexcited they forget they don't actually have certain character aspects:
Well hello, uh... [SPEAKER:TRANS_NAME], I'd love to know how exactly you worship [SPEAKER:HF_LINK:DEITY:RANDOM_DEF_SPHERE], but that can wait until later I suppose. Actually, can you get me a bucket? I think my brains are leaking out of my ears.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: March 22, 2015, 06:24:52 pm »

Tried to adventure as a minotaur. If anyone else has been thinking about adventuring as a (semi)megabeast, I would advise that you do so with caution. People won't like you much. Everyone greeted me like this, and then proceeded to either flee or attack.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: March 22, 2015, 06:50:43 pm »

I did that with a firebreathing zombie hydra that could open doors, jump, and carry stuff using my various heads... oh and it could wear armor.

Suffice to say nobody was happy to see me show up, even when I told them I had just been busy beating up other lesser megabeasts... T.T

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: March 22, 2015, 09:41:22 pm »

I started a human adventurer and recruited a spearman right away. He would chase down any animal I attacked and kill it, but that was pretty normal. Later, when I had gotten bored and decided to start killing innocent humans, he would chase down any person that got away from me. After pillaging a hamlet I entered a new one and immediately without any hostility from me or the people in the hamlet my spearmen stabbed the lady to death, ran into the next room and started stabbing a child in between 4 or 5 soldiers. I saved him from the soldiers but I don't think he'll ever use his left arm again. Did I find some Armok-possessed lunatic or is this just the AI getting "comfortable" with killing things?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: March 22, 2015, 09:42:38 pm »

He may have been an enemy of that civilization, or his civilization may be at war with theirs.
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 1104