Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2094950 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7605 on: February 07, 2015, 04:02:33 am »

Oh sweet baby jesus on fire that was absolutely terrifying... I was trying to get a bite-transmission version of vampirism working and found the dark age mod (which is kinda like a spiritual successor to the fear the night mod) and incorporated the master and elder vamps along with the default randomly generated ones. Did some world generation, got an idea where some were, and started heading out to try and ambush a master/survive long enough to drink their blood and run right?

On the way out I have an asterisk zoom over to me on the travel map, now, I'm geared up nicely but hadn't yet done much wrestling/dodging/shield/armor training as I intended to do it near the city where the master was... so the ambush hits me and it's an elder vampire human recruit, totally nude for some reason... I guess just to add to the "OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING" effect?

So they see me and use the vampiric speed boost and go from being a good fifteen squares away to being two squares away by the time I move once, I barely managed to get an arm up and slow them down as I got tackled and thankfully I've got a lot of practice at getting out from between the legs of an enemy... though I did have to savescum the fight (I had saved not long before the ambush as I had just crossed a looooooong haunted mountain range on foot) twice, and even knowing what they were gonna do it still came down to my attempt at ending the fight (got an option of a tricky/square neck shot) and lucking out by breaking their spine, producing a very fast, very bitey, but otherwise harmless snake.

Sheesh... and after going through that, after figuring out how to get close enough to the master (he was the head priest at a citadel, so I approached him from a distance asking about troubles and then hacked off an arm once I got an easy shot available, he is still pretending to be human so he freaks and runs, I grab the blood and save to check something...

*get back in after the save*
*test drink the blood*
*nothing... it doesn't work on dorfs*

...shit.

Azereiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: February 07, 2015, 11:24:35 am »

I looked at my dwarf's injuries - broken heart, lung, eye, leg, arm, and all teeth knocked out. All of them. Through the helmet. Oh well, I'm sure he didn't like solid foods anyway. >.>
Helmets don't protect any of those things. They're probably like this.

That's a little irritating. That kind of helm is something I'd personally call a cap, if anything.

I take it we don't have great helms or anything, then.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: February 07, 2015, 11:53:25 am »

I looked at my dwarf's injuries - broken heart, lung, eye, leg, arm, and all teeth knocked out. All of them. Through the helmet. Oh well, I'm sure he didn't like solid foods anyway. >.>
Helmets don't protect any of those things. They're probably like this.

That's a little irritating. That kind of helm is something I'd personally call a cap, if anything.

I take it we don't have great helms or anything, then.
Masks could protect your face. But they make bad armor unless its adamantium.
We have caps, masks, helms, hoods and turbans.
Also a cloak can protect your face... you know like dracula covering his face
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Azereiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: February 07, 2015, 01:10:48 pm »

Masks could protect your face. But they make bad armor unless its adamantium.
We have caps, masks, helms, hoods and turbans.
Also a cloak can protect your face... you know like dracula covering his face

I just took a look at modding stuff. It's the upper body armor that protects your face.
Chain mail, robes, etc.
The issue seems to be that there isn't any rigid armor that upsteps to the face, so a mace, arrow, or fist can break your face or kill you despite being nearly totally armored.

Helmets currently don't have a working downstep feature, but upper body armor can upstep to the face, as little sense as that makes.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: February 07, 2015, 02:00:39 pm »

In this game armor is overated.
Iv only ever needed it for rocs and weak metal FBeasts.
Dodging, sheilds and willpower is where its at you dont need armor if you dont get hit.

Oh yeah I choped off a werepigs head off first slice iron short sword... yeah ok he was in human form but he spat near me.
His werehyena buddy saw the whole thing so I spilled his guts and pinched them until he bled to death... what a mild evening
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: February 07, 2015, 02:23:18 pm »

Apparently I don't need weapons anymore.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a modified scratch attack that allows a human-sized creature to punch through every form of armor with just standard issue keratin nails. I do mean every form of armor, this is capable of shattering ribs through steel, adamantine, and even divine metal breastplates in a single strike. It's not enough to cut a human in half, but it can disembowel one with sufficient strength.

Pic related, the creature's appearance.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:25:56 pm by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: February 07, 2015, 02:32:21 pm »

I have found goblin called "boss" hiding behind a pillar in the lower part of one human Shrine. She didn't attack me on sight so I started chatting with her.She told me she used to be a ranger for one year and a suturer for 280 more years. When I asked her if she wants to join me on my adventures she said "I'm sorry. My duty is here.". I have thought it is a bit weird to have a goblin suturers in shrines but well, it was a human shrine, so what can one want from these humanz.

I moved one step closer to see if there is anything next to her behind that pillar and got my right lung pierced by iron bolt. It seemed our little talk has ended so I have finished her with my steel axe. Now I have "Mortal Wound" blinking on my screen so I need to rest a bit.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Azereiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: February 07, 2015, 03:39:16 pm »

I have found goblin called "boss" hiding behind a pillar in the lower part of one human Shrine. She didn't attack me on sight so I started chatting with her.She told me she used to be a ranger for one year and a suturer for 280 more years. When I asked her if she wants to join me on my adventures she said "I'm sorry. My duty is here.". I have thought it is a bit weird to have a goblin suturers in shrines but well, it was a human shrine, so what can one want from these humanz.

I moved one step closer to see if there is anything next to her behind that pillar and got my right lung pierced by iron bolt. It seemed our little talk has ended so I have finished her with my steel axe. Now I have "Mortal Wound" blinking on my screen so I need to rest a bit.

Yeah, sure thing, Boss. Right away, Boss, I'll get rid of that pesky adventurer for sure, Boss.

I think you found a bandit leader. :P

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: February 07, 2015, 04:24:27 pm »

Yeah, sure thing, Boss. Right away, Boss, I'll get rid of that pesky adventurer for sure, Boss.

I think you found a bandit leader. :P
There were like four human skeletons lying around that basement of shrine. And I have cleared bandit camp like three days ago and got there and on my way to this shrine two goblin overlords. I wonder how long was this boss hiding in that basement.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: February 07, 2015, 05:00:54 pm »

Dodging, sheilds and willpower is where its at you dont need armor if you dont get hit
Everyone's mileage will vary, but I usually find dodge and shield grown at normal rates (just through fights, no powerleveling) needs the backup of armor when a faster opponent's attack threads through your dodge/shield (dwarves are slow). And with today's cumulative pain superhuman/dwarven/elven willpower won't be enough if the shot is true and strongly bone breaking/chipping.

Gentlemen!

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: February 08, 2015, 12:17:36 am »

Dodging, sheilds and willpower is where its at you dont need armor if you dont get hit
Everyone's mileage will vary, but I usually find dodge and shield grown at normal rates (just through fights, no powerleveling) needs the backup of armor when a faster opponent's attack threads through your dodge/shield (dwarves are slow). And with today's cumulative pain superhuman/dwarven/elven willpower won't be enough if the shot is true and strongly bone breaking/chipping.

Gentlemen!

Elves bro, elves all the way you are allowed to eat sentients you live WILL die of infection (no soap) or in battle an you live in trees. An elf is never homeless in a wooded area, animals love you so you never get ambushed by That Wolf eating fruit as sustainance is not frowned upon, you move faster, you are small so you can hide well, people hate you so there is no shortage of enemys, you have wooden weapons that if used properly can keep you alive... in the arctic by burning them.
You can lie to others and say things like "life in a word is, rain"  an incredible sense of smell and memory...

In short Elves suck.
Dont be an elf unless you like soapless magma baths
Im coming for you!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: February 08, 2015, 04:48:37 am »

I guess 6 heads aren't better than 1:

Best part is getting to "summarize the conflict in which you slew [ettin name and title one], [ettin name and title two], and [ettin name and title three] not one day ago in [some bloodsoaked gorepit]" all at once.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:51:46 am by Max™ »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: February 08, 2015, 01:36:01 pm »

The only human town is quite in ruins, it seems elves visited them multiple times. No shopping for me.

Then I have met a human crossbowman in one hamlet. His child was abducted by goblins few years ago so I have managed to make him join me and finally got something resembling a quest. Problem was the abductor is apparently dead and no one knows where this girl currently is.

So I, together with well-travelled swordman Ontha and this crossbowman, have journeyed to the west to visit Dark pits. But beside one goblin outside we haven't been able to find anybody there. There was also Dark Fortress nearby. It seemed abandoned too but in upper floor we have met with a master. Ontha used her well-travelled skills, turned around and run out, crossbowman missed and got bashed by master's earring. I have managed to hold few round behind my steel shield but found soon that just proficient axeman skills is not enough to even hit this master with a tail once. So it all ended with a bite in head. THE END.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: February 08, 2015, 08:37:05 pm »

Downloaded the latest Dwarf Fortress after having not played for Armok-knows how long, started up a new adventure...
...And died within the first thirty minutes by a zombie elf that gave me a faceful of large copper dagger.
It's just like I remembered~

Also, in my adventure after that one I've found that blood splatters are no longer a suitable source of drink, which is proving to be a dangerous problem for me as one might be able to imagine.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: February 08, 2015, 10:05:28 pm »

Kinda a bug but if you find a waterskin or even just a pouch/backpack you can fill it up once, dump it out when thirsty, refill it from the pool you made, and drink it to quench your thirst.

As for me, well, I covered it in the "you are already dead" thread I just made, but you get the general idea from this I think:
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 1104