Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2095147 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7245 on: November 26, 2014, 07:32:52 am »

In a roomful of people, Omo outs a vampire who has killed 271, bravely slays the evil sod, holds up the human tooth crown he had been wearing and ... the onlookers call him a murderer! You just can't please some people!
well you did murder a man, they just say it how they see it. combine that with the whole no one in DF likes seeing Death or dying folks the first time, then there's also the ethics kicking in where killing sentient being might peg you a monster similar to the monster you killed. Now if you gone and murder like say animals or a tiger then maybe they wouldn't be so "YOU MONSTER!"
now I wonder if toadyone made the ethics tokens in the raws effect the npcs culture now?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
  • A large firefly fond of technology and art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: November 26, 2014, 08:45:21 pm »

I found out how to make Hydras playable in adventure mode. I'm having a lot of fun with this.
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: November 26, 2014, 10:00:05 pm »

Was there any witness when you identified that murderous vampire before killing the damned beast ?

If no, it could make sense people call murderer, they could think you just murdered someone without knowing it was a monster responsible of so many deaths even amongst very likely their own families.

But if there were witnesses i think it's some kind of bug regarding the relations propagation and you should report the bug on the tracker with the saved game, it does not make sense that people that would have been murdered at some point of the future giving enough game time by the vampire (as they regularly murder people to feed) will call you a murderer for saving their life from such a monster

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: November 26, 2014, 11:04:16 pm »

Was there any witness when you identified that murderous vampire before killing the damned beast ?

If no, it could make sense people call murderer, they could think you just murdered someone without knowing it was a monster responsible of so many deaths even amongst very likely their own families.

But if there were witnesses i think it's some kind of bug regarding the relations propagation and you should report the bug on the tracker with the saved game, it does not make sense that people that would have been murdered at some point of the future giving enough game time by the vampire (as they regularly murder people to feed) will call you a murderer for saving their life from such a monster

Heh, I got called out as a murderer once for slaying a night troll that happened to be the cousin of the noble lady that I was reporting my kills to and when I showed the skull.

Due to the fact that the rumors list is unsearchable and it gets filled fast with tons of animals supposedly attacking me when they aren't attacks and tons of stuff I don't care about, I hardly even report rumors anymore because it quickly becomes too tedious to search for the one I want.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: November 27, 2014, 12:13:53 am »

I wonder if that's the same thing and that it makes even event from worldgen not correctly been processed.
As some night trolls are former people converted into night creatures, maybe the actual transformation information has not been transmitted due to some bug and instead of a night creature, in the code the NPC react as if it was still the former individual.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: November 27, 2014, 12:58:42 pm »

My Gold-Scythe-Wielding Minotaur consistently culls entire populations and killed the king of the civilization next door. He's cray.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: November 27, 2014, 04:56:19 pm »

Decided to usurp some positions as an elven peasant. After killing a second lord in the name of the Pale Roses, I noticed the guards weren't attacking. So I taunted an axeman a bit and left. Then, before I knew what hit me, I had an axe in my back and began getting limbs severed. I don't think he liked being taunted.
Everything's in the news today

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: November 27, 2014, 04:57:42 pm »

smjjames, how are you showing the skull? Are you dropping or giving it to them? I tried something along those lines many worlds ago, but it went awry when I made the mistake of demanding an item. That adventurer was later hunted down by that civ.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: November 27, 2014, 05:07:43 pm »

smjjames, how are you showing the skull? Are you dropping or giving it to them? I tried something along those lines many worlds ago, but it went awry when I made the mistake of demanding an item. That adventurer was later hunted down by that civ.

I dropped it while saying the rumor.

Does anybody know if holding the skull works? I've tried doing that but it doesn't seem to elict a response, yet they'll react to blood on my weapons or myself, I think.

Anyway, out of sympathy, I tried to give it to the lady, but the game ended up thinking I was demanding an item. I believe that bug has been fixed since.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: November 28, 2014, 03:19:48 pm »

nothing much  ;)

my adventures tend to be relatively bland. but one time......
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I forget how I died in that one. probably a ambush by goblins or criminals or another human civ
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: November 28, 2014, 05:22:42 pm »

wait are vampires fall under ' Dangerous beast' catagory where people will instinctively run away or attack you? because it's the only grouping that doesn't lead to folks whining over the death of someone.

the way to test this is to either become a vampire and ask someone's their feelings or ask about your self.
"body swapping and YOU!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: November 28, 2014, 06:15:36 pm »

That kind of only works if you get caught in the act of feeding, otherwise they don't react as if you're a vampire.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: November 28, 2014, 06:18:54 pm »

Oh so they fall under the sentient group, which means their okay with them being around.
"body swapping and YOU!"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: November 30, 2014, 03:45:48 pm »

Another death, this time while infiltrating a goblin dark fortress.  I had cleared out the main level and the level above it, and had two more trolls to kill on the uppermost level before descending to the depths.  I had killed, to date, 16 trolls, 4 wolves (which were stupid enough to try and attack me while I was wandering around), a goblin weaponsmith (headshot from stealth, decapitation with silver battle axe!), and a goblin hammerman who was at least equally skilled with me and who I finally killed by removing his helmet with wrestling (which neutralized my ability to dodge or block for a few seconds) and beating him over the head with my axe until I split his skull.  This was after I'd had to repeatedly bash him against a wall (throws when he was next to the wall) in order to buy myself time to fight a troll.  Which made it all the more humiliating to be killed by one of the trolls, who wizened up and decided to attempt wrestling against me instead of punching me.  It got a hold of my arm, shattered the bone with a joint lock, which knocked me out, at which point it whaled on me for TWO IRL MINUTES before finally killing me (I was wearing the helmet I'd taken from the goblin, which is probably why it took so long).

My adventurers in this world have a tendency to get killed off fairly quickly, with the only living one being the one I retired to a human site after taking it over.  I had one die to a stealthed night creature, another to a lone speargoblin after having killed off THREE night trolls in the same town (for some reason, night trolls hate the town my first adventurer settled in), and I'm pretty sure I've lost another to who knows what.  This was the first adventurer to actually die in an awesome way, if somewhat trivial.

Update on stuff: I've lost quite a few more adventurers in the same world, including the still-living one I mentioned above (I frankly don't remember what killed him).  As a matter of fact, that entire town has basically been populated by goblins while nominally being under human control, resulting in near-constant uprisings and the murder of at least one ruler who came after my original adventurer (who, amusingly enough, was a dwarf, and I think the group (made up entirely of humans) is actually considered a dwarf group).  My most recently dead adventurer was one who was created, took over another human town (as a human, this time), retired, then unretired out of boredom and I decided to go fight the last remaining surface megabeast: a hydra.  So, I go to said hydra's lair, enter stealth mode, and enter.  Which was my first moment of stupid: hydras have no blind spots.  I'm assuming that my iron halberd or whatever will be enough to hurt it, right?  Well, second mistake was forgetting the hydras have a boatload of attacks, which makes it extremely difficult to get in one of your own.  And the third and worst stupid was forgetting to draw my weapons, which had been sheathed in town earlier.  Thus, the hydra got in a round of attacks against me without my shield or weapon, savaging my lower body and left foot.  Well damn.  I draw my weapon and shield and have at the hydra, happily slashing away at the thing.  I keep missing, but I'm keeping it at bay, so that's good, right?  Fourth mistake: Never play save-or-die with a hydra, they have a boatload of attacks and "extra lives".  Even if I could chop off a hydra's head with a single lucky hit, that wouldn't eliminate it, and any one of the hydra's attacks could spell my end.  Pretty soon, he grabbed my right leg and latched on, badly wounding it, and in desperation I lashed out at one of it's heads.  I hit and... dented the scale.  Fuck.  It then proceeded to rip off my leg and, despite my best efforts, destroyed me in short order with hardly a scratch.

That's it, I'm starting as a axedwarf from my first fortress (where there were quite a few steel-armed warriors wandering about) and wasting that thing.  Of course, the only dwarf with any real skill with the axe is, naturally, my militia commander, who won't go with me, so I'm bringing a couple of my recruits, and unfortunately I ended up with only a bronze axe.  Still, I'm going in.  Maybe I'll kill some night trolls first to gain fame (if that still works), there are still a boatload of the suckers despite my best efforts at extermination.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:08:18 pm by 4maskwolf »

Corinthian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: December 02, 2014, 02:40:29 am »

Failing to convince any elven brethren to join me on my travels (lazy peasants), I avoided bogeymen by surrounding myself with fire and sleeping in short naps. I was not ambushed at all. I broke a foot leaping from a tree but it healed well. The second night comes soon. With luck, I can reach the hillock set as my destination before it gets here. (Well, according to the map, I've already reached it...But the map doesn't correspond exactly to the world so I'm still looking.)

I shall put every nature-killing dwarf to the sword then move on to a second hillock nearby. Then there is a fortress in the distance..Before I begin this violent crusade, I shall attempt to barter my way to a waterskin so I may make more efficient use of brooks found during my journey.

I also have a small supply of eagle meat (while playing an elf, I take no prepared organs and eagles offer little meat). They died swiftly, rendered unconscious by the pain of a broken ankle then decapitated by a single precise blow. I am debating whether to give the booze-gremlins the mercy of such quick death. Surely their crimes against the forests warrant a greater agony.

On a sidenote, I am vastly disappointed that I cannot simply pick up and wear bloody animal skins, nor make a striking feather headdress. It would surely frighten the short ones.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:43:58 am by Corinthian »
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1104