Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2094270 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #6945 on: October 05, 2014, 05:42:45 pm »

I visited that wierd town again with a dwarf companion and two goblin companions. When I first had them encounter the wierd behavior of the goblins there, my companions went and attacked them. Also, the dwarf swordsman companion ran off somewhere and didn't return, disappeared off the companions list. No idea what happened to that one.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: October 05, 2014, 05:51:38 pm »

Curious of the state of the world since the month of adventuring my character had, i retired temporarly, saved the xml and map then opened in legends viewer the updated xml.
And to my surprise, on the dark fortress site the goblin and troll population has doubled ! They were already too many before, but doubling in a single month of adventure, that's just insane.

No wonder those zones are unplayable.
That's even more big problem than the respawning bugs i reported.

Strangely the dark pits have +/- the same goblins and trolls population, , dwarves, elves and humans site have roughly the same population as before.

So there's definitively something very wrong with the game code in dark fortresses.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: October 05, 2014, 06:09:40 pm »

Curious of the state of the world since the month of adventuring my character had, i retired temporarly, saved the xml and map then opened in legends viewer the updated xml.
And to my surprise, on the dark fortress site the goblin and troll population has doubled ! They were already too many before, but doubling in a single month of adventure, that's just insane.

No wonder those zones are unplayable.
That's even more big problem than the respawning bugs i reported.

Strangely the dark pits have +/- the same goblins and trolls population, , dwarves, elves and humans site have roughly the same population as before.

So there's definitively something very wrong with the game code in dark fortresses.

I noticed this too when I used DFhack's exterminate enough times to make the troll population go into the negatives, yet it almost doubled. It even did so RIGHT AFTER I did the extermination test.

The goblin population also didn't go down by as much as I expected, it's more than my actual kills (though there were some killed by the trolls) and less than what would be expected if it took into account the number killed with exterminate. Not sure what was going on with the goblin population.

I've also noticed that domestic animals (cats, horses, etc), will respawn when killed.

Anyways, I think that town is broken somehow because when I let the two remaining companions rampage the market, they seemingly disappeared into thin air, no idea where they went, theres nothing in the errorlog.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 06:11:23 pm by smjjames »

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: October 05, 2014, 07:02:50 pm »

Made a literate hammerdwarf with strength/toughness/endurance at superior, agility/willpower at high, and disease/recup/spatial/kinesthetic at average.  All other attributes dropped to lowest. Went with proficient in hammer, skilled observer, competent armor, and expert in shield.  A good defender's build which I tend to favor over an attacker's build for longevity. Of course, today's view may not be tomorrows.

We began in a hillock called Staffglazes. My hammerdwarf (after collecting some leather armor) grouped up with a speardwarf and a human crossbowman, both whom he'd known all his life. We were sent out to kill a night creature called the Starved Hag.

This quickly turned into a misadventure as the speardwarf fled, and the crossbowman was struck down. Proficient weapon skill in this instance, particularly bashing, benefited from a good defensive base with the endurance to last as it was to be quite a while before a foot was struck. Once tired, with endurance now reaching base level superdwarven, expert shield was now only talented shield.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After a drawn out exchange of attacking feet legs and arms and hands, cretin hammerdwarf was finally able to pulp the head.

If we could have set fire to this lair, we would have, not so much for the hag. More for our old friend.

All returns are done in a daze and we visited two hillocks on the way home. One was mostly abandoned, except for one peasant. The other was occupied by kobolds. Here we see the once fleeing speardwarf charge an elite kobold crossbowman. This is how all visits to unknown places should occur…

unexpected violence, interspersed with small talk.

In the end, the speardwarf managed to kill both the crossbowman and the kobold sword master with some help.

It's said there's a titan's shrine down south so once we recruit another hand, we may head down to try our luck.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: October 05, 2014, 07:11:08 pm »

Made a bard adventurer. Traveled to a tomb to acquire a musical instrument, after looting a keep turned up nothing but an extra companion. My copper spear-wielding bard, a maceman, a spearman, and a crossbowman went to raid the tomb.
After exploring fairly deep, I finally located a *copper piccolo*. I promptly picked it up and got the heck out of there, then retired in a town.
Thus ends the first chapter of Shezpa Brainbaked, Piccoloman.
After a rest, Shezpa will walk outside a town once more, beating animals to death with a musical instrument.
In the meantime, I'll send a spearman adventurer to visit Shezpa and see if anything got blinged out.
Shezpa has killed nothing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: October 05, 2014, 07:27:48 pm »

Also, before I went back to that town, I recruited a random hammerdwarf from a fort, tried to quiz him on the local beasts and whatnot, didn't even know the location of the local rabid dingo *facepalm* Okay, whatever.

I decided to just tolerate his ignorance, after all, I can just get info from elsewhere. However, his cowardice I could not tolerate.

The first wolf ambush he fled from, okay, perhaps he isn't battle tested. Then when I got ambushed by a bunch of goblins, he fled. The third time he fled, it was a pack of dingoes (and the hammerdwarf) somehow piled into the same tile as my adventurer.

Being fed up with the cowardice, I concluded that he wasn't worthy of being a soldier (even though he did kill a cougar, a human, and a badly wounded wolf), so I demanded his silver hammer and his armor and shield (apparently I can only actually demand one thing at a time), he dropped the hammer, refused to drop the armor, so I basically beat him senseless (or rather, broke his leg with a punch and he went unconscious) and took the armor and shield off of him.

Then I left and let him limp back home.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: October 05, 2014, 08:52:32 pm »

Update on the adventurer - apparently, in the 4 weeks he wasn't out looking for an instrument, Shezpa acquired an iron slicing knife and a pouch of coins.
Due to the fact his armor is heavy enough, I dropped the coin and his old spear in favor of the knife.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: October 05, 2014, 09:58:19 pm »

I continued in my omnicidal rampages across the land and headed to a dark fortress that I had attacked many times before. after killing 300 or so goblins the lady and many goblins decided to abandon the fortress and find a new home. I being an insane mass murderer didn't like this so I chased them down.

When I caught up I was surrounded by 20 or so goblin warriors, I was a bit worried mostly cause of the large number of bow/crossbowmen among them, after killing a little under half of them they began to flee. Through the power of fast traveling and such I kept up with them and eventually killed them all.

I found another group, that presumably came from the same dark fortress and was surrounded by them, at least 25 or so, they ran at me to attempt to kill me but when a few of them got close they began to flee in terror. I'm guessing they recognized me. I had at one time retired to pass time, and see my reputation with various civilizations. to the goblins who lived in the dark fortress I had a reputation as a legendary killer.

I ventured off to another dark fortress to continue the destruction. huehuehue
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: October 06, 2014, 02:35:52 am »

I was asking my current companions about their families, one of them seems to have a lot of them, most killed or eaten by things.
And then he told me about one of his daugthers

That damn Reiloth Beigehonor the Symmetric Tundra of Tatooing !
My good friend, point me to the direction and we'll avenge your fallen dau... hmm wait a minute, that silly name is very familiar.

... oh that's my character :D

Looking on legendsviewer, what happened is that the daughter was abducted 26 years ago became then a member of a goblin civ, married another human abducted and member of the same gob civ, got a lot of children, and then i popped up in the dark fortress a pages or two ago from this thread and in my massive dealing of justice over the evil goblin civ, i slew both of those guys and a couple of their adult by then children.

Apparently it's perfectly ok with the father of that woman, as he's a good companion of mine, but maybe he ceased to care about anything long time ago, or just hated that daughter of his, who know.
I find a bit odd that he knows exactly which one of the weapon i carry was used.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:38:03 am by Robsoie »

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: October 06, 2014, 03:59:46 am »

I went and investigated a goblin fortress for the first time. It was several days' travel around the side of a mountain range from my human civ and the paradisical seaside town, "Beltnight", that I claimed ownership of 5 ingame years ago when I avenged the murder of the town lord by a molemarian. I stopped along the way to pay my respects to the former lord's widowed wife and child. They seemed uninterested.

Once I arrived at the Dark Fortress, my 2 companions who had been troupers so far ran off immediately and got themselves killed. I slaughtered a whole bunch of gobbos and trolls in the main tower and 2 of the small towers, killed the goblin lady in the main tower (The site must not be the capital of the goblin civ, I didn't check, just went to the closest one) and took her crown made of teeth.

Unfortunately there was no way I would survive the 3 days hike alone back through the swamps to my home as a mortal, so once I escaped from the tower I drank the vampire blood I'd been saving in a waterskin since one of my first fights.

It was a good trip after all, I'd boosted my notable-kill count from 100 to 260, taken a lot of silk socks (my preferred currency), and become an immortal night creature. Once I got back to Beltnights, I was thirsty as hell so I preyed on a lonely farmer - only to discover that you can't control how much blood you drink from a victim. If you're really thirsty, you will drink your fill all in one go. So I stuffed his corpse into my backpack and took a hike around the outside of town to dump his body in the ocean.

This vampire business was a sobering experience. I decided that I didn't want the responsibilities of ruling a town so I would find someone else perfect for the job: A human clerk who I'd met in a mostly abandoned town, Focuscudgels, where I'd killed the dominant criminal a while ago. A lanky woman in her thirties who had already raised 2 children to adulthood, she was desperate for some excitement in her life, so I'd invited her along for a day trip to another nearby town, Planebraids, where I had some business to attend to.

Along that journey, she had proved her mettle many times over, often charging at alligators with a kitchen knife while the bowman I'd hired ran away in fear. We stayed in Planebraids for a few weeks, and tried training in the surrounding wetlands, but after too many close calls I decided to move on without her. I offered her a set of masterwork leather armor as a parting gift and headed west on the path that first led me to Beltnight.

Anyway, I had almost forgotten about her, but she must have heard some rumors of what I'd been up to. I found her in the same old tavern in Planebraids, and to my relief she was eager to get back on the road. Without even stopping to satisfy my bloodthirst, I turned back towards Beltnight with my friend by my side as well as a pikeman I'd hired to be her bodyguard. He turned out to be completely unnecessary - she was perfectly capable of defending herself, as she proved again by one-hit-killing a lion by stabbing it in the head.

We arrived in Beltnights at dusk, and I handed over my position as lord of the Coalition of Omens in front of all the members of my court (at least, the few who actually bother to visit the castle, since most my hearthpeople are hopeless drunks). Good luck Conu Toefarms, Human Administrator and Lady - I hope you'll be a better ruler than I was.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:16:17 am by lowbart »
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: October 06, 2014, 05:02:00 am »

A bit less than a month ago, my character managed to slay a hydra by hammered it while dodging, the multiattack trick, after a while the thing died by suffocating after i broke its lungs repeatedly.

I butchered it and took one of the skulls (only 1 as it weighted a lot at the time for my character) and brought it back to my lord's castle.
I reported the death of the beast to my lord, asked him the direction to the beast to be sure the guy really understood it was dead, and he confirmed that it was dead.

So far so good.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: October 06, 2014, 08:07:34 am »

okay this happen more than once so it's a constant.

If you sleep in a keep for I guess a full day A RANDOM DEMON will spawn outskirts of the keep and raid the site.
you can tell when you see a visitor pop up near the Keep.

so prepare for the worst and enjoy the random 'fort ending' monster that would barge right in.

Kinda wonder how well my army of the dead would handle this beast.

edit: uhh well looks like there's 2 serpent demons that decided to raid the keep. also all my zombies are rip to shreds with all their limbs rip apart.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:11:38 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Trollhammaren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: October 06, 2014, 08:25:33 am »

He confirmed that it was dead.

Quote from: the Lord
What? Of course the hydra is dead. It was inevitable. Go away, peasant.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: October 06, 2014, 11:41:55 am »

Wish the reactions were like that, because they're insisting in being completely dumb with rumours obviously not working correctly, during travel to cross a river, one of my companions again
Basically
NPC : "Hey we should really go kill that hydra, the monster is bringing ruin to us !"
Character : "Are you kidding me ? oh well, let's see if you're that stupid ... where is the hydra lair ?"
NPC : "The hydra lair is at nearly a day of travel . It's where you killed the hydra i want us to go kill"
Character : " ... " (i picture my character having an epic facepalm)

NoDiamond2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: October 06, 2014, 01:05:33 pm »

Kawe was mauled by a lion. He survived, but his left arm was mangled, so he can't hold two swords anymore. He's resting at the Morality of War, since he's still a hearthperson.

I'd usually just keep playing anyway, but then he wouldn't be dual swordsman, which is what I'm going for.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:10:59 pm by NoDiamond2 »
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 1104