Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2097501 times)

Alestance

• Bay Watcher
  • [VILLAINOUS_THEMATIC: LIGHTBULBS]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #5760 on: May 17, 2014, 04:14:29 am »

So, I decided to try again. This time a cave swallow woman, again chosen by friends. This time I'm going to play it much safer.

I'm currently training my ambushing skill. I'm hoping to get it up to legendary+ so I can sneak to a bandit camp and rob them blind. I'd BUY weapons, and I certainly have the skills to trade for it, but the only town within a day's travel doesn't have any weapon or armor smiths. Just a leatherer and bone carver.

Wouldn't matter anyway, given I have to make my own armor if I want to get any. I'm currently wearing three layers of leather clothing and armor and just running around the wilds hunting for food and such. Apparently, I DON'T have to be a hero to be liked in the civ I started in UNLESS I'm a kobold and (probably) goblin. So, when I die(which is highly likely), I'll probably play a kobold just to make it even more fun for me.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: May 17, 2014, 10:50:16 am »

Just started adventuring mode recently, first adventurer: human spearman killed by bogeymen after wandering through the fields looking for things to fight
second adventurer: human spearman killed by cats, pigs, and geese after grabbing a cat to practice wrestling
third adventurer: elven wrestler which has not died yet, but hasn't done anything yet either...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: May 17, 2014, 01:42:04 pm »

second adventurer: human spearman killed by cats, pigs, and geese after grabbing a cat to practice wrestling

You don't want to attack any stray animals in or around towns. That is basically the same as attacking the townsfolk themselves, and will make the entire civilization hate you.

E: New adventure, same world as the fort I mentioned in the 'what's going on in your fort' thread.

Made a dwarven hammerer, and trekked to the ruins to see what I could scavenge. I'm fairly certain I had killed all of the invaders that were still milling about the fort. I had also managed to find the two artifacts of the fort: a steel hammer and a willow bow. Not much I can do with the bow, but the hammer was quite useful.

I had then explored what I could of the world. The only titans of the world were dead, though many lesser monsters still lived. I had killed two night trolls and a normal troll. Eventually I also came across a cave, and witnessed the resident kobolds get massacred by a demon that was living in the site. After the kobolds were all killed I had finished off the monster myself, though the kobolds hadn't done much aside from giving it minor wounds.

The cave itself actually had no way down. For some reason the path downwards was blocked by a floor. My best guess was that it caved in. I used DFHack to reveal where the entrance would have been and re-opened it with a pick that I had taken from my fort earlier.

After making my way down I decided to continue my tradition of trying to find a certain curious structure on the third cavern layer. Though in a stroke of luck, there was one almost directly underneath the cave. It could likely fit within a 2x2 embark.

Unlike previous times, the residents of the upper structure were hostile, as there were no ways in this world to avoid aggravating them. But luckily they are not as resilient as they are powerful, and tend to go down in only a few hits. I have no idea how deep this structure actually was. It seemed like I was moving downwards forever. The creatures in the lower structure were worse than I was used to. Web spewing fiends and dust-blowing monsters greatly slowed me down. But at least some rooms were more interesting than those of previous structures.

Catwalks above several Z drops, pools of water, or even pools of magma. Areas with large holes in the floor that made fighting more precarious. Some areas were unreachable, unless you tried to jump down from a catwalk, but monsters lain in wait below. I wouldn't risk it.

Eventually a webber caught me and killed me with a quick hit to the skull. I may just try again, if only to recover the artifacts. Or not. There are plenty of other nasty things still living on the surface that need to be taken care of.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:58:29 am by BlackFlyme »

Alestance

• Bay Watcher
  • [VILLAINOUS_THEMATIC: LIGHTBULBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: May 18, 2014, 03:22:48 am »

Day 11. 20th of Malachite Year 50.
Torish Lanlar the Cave Swallow Woman has become a legendary ambusher. I got a bit brave with that skill under my belt and decided to sneak into a bandit camp and steal their stolen goods.
I succeeded. Nothing I can use yet, though, I need more wood if I intend to make proper armor for myself, but I have access to metal now.

Day 12
Raided another camp, got a two-handed sword out of it.

Day 13
Tried to raid another camp. Died. Oh well.

Fortunately the stuff she stole was stored in an abandoned house.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:58:35 am by Alestance »

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: May 18, 2014, 01:14:12 pm »

My most recent adventure felt like a crime thriller movie instead of a short lived blood bath, always ending terribly on my part. It started pretty weird, though. From my starting hamlet (where I acquired two crossbowmen) I made my way to the capital, which was totally barren save the high priest who stood at the top of his temple like a lunatic, and the nobility living in the central keep. I traversed the woods, got ambushed by wolves, ate and drank and slept; the usual. The final goal was to make it to a large town, in hopes that it wasn't as depopulated as the capital.
Once I got there, I started asking people about the surroundings and of any service I can do to them. It was here that I started to hear a rumor about a vampire that's killed hundreds. After sticking my nose around the nobility and townspeople, I head north to the next town, where the vampire is supposedly dwelling. On my way there, I was ambushed by a goblin group, as if someone was trying to keep me out of business that isn't mine. I lost both my crossbowmen, and take an arrow to the right upper arm.
I escape to the closest hamlet, "rest" off my injuries, and recruit a father-daughter crossbow team. I get to the town, and have to locate the vamp in a leather shop. There are roughly 50 leather shops in that goddamn town. We find him, and he's with a peasant. I have a little chat, and finally reveal my intentions. He throws the peasant across the room, but does not kill him. Literally ALL the bolts that hit him were deflected by his leather vest. He manages to get to the young girl (further legends reading revealed she  was 14) in my team, and puts a carving knife through her head, killing here effective immediately. I've been too hesitant to charge with my sword at this point, but go in for a fight. I don't get to fight him, because my remaining crossbowman shoots him right through the eye. I retire, because this has been the only adventurer that hand a somewhat normal ending.

tl;dr - capital was empty, so I go to a town. theres a vamp nearby, I go kill him. he kills a 14 year old and her dad shoots him through the eyes. gg no re.
no one could have anticipated this

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: May 18, 2014, 02:30:22 pm »

Let me tell you about Takru Twistknight.

My axegun-slinging avatar recently recruited an aging human lasher. Takru Twistknight was sixty years old and married to Bok Apexwatches for thirty years of his life. They never had children, but Takru had a niece who was killed by a titan, which was in turned killed by her father. I wasn't sure why he'd want to leave his wife behind, but I took him on anyway.
I can't say why, I usually like working alone. I consider bogeymen little more than replenishable live targets and can handle most anything else on my own. I wouldn't regret my decision.

Takru didn't have much skill, nothing more than novice when I found him, but he was well equipped with a bronze whip, iron breastplate and helm. We made a good team, I'd pick off targets from range and he'd make sure nothing got close, finishing off whatever my high-powered firearm didn't kill outright. Surprised me, he was a decent combatant despite his advanced age and apparent lack of skill. He could hold his own with perfectly healthy opponents and actually didn't need my help that much. Had a bit of a mean streak, though, took his time finishing off targets if he could.

I grew a bit attached to the guy. He was a bigger help than I imagined, and I started taking care of him. When he got hurt, I body-swapped into him to apply my idea of first aid. I improved his equipment and even let him take credit for a few quests in the same way.
We made our way north from the southern hamlet Takru called home, righting wrongs, slaying beasts, and all that jazz. We had our scrapes and a few close calls. I thought I was going to lose him when we raided a bandit camp and he got surrounded. He flew into a rage and killed three of the bandits before I could join him. I thought I was going to die when we confronted an iron dwarf, a dwarf-sized iron colossus that moves like greased lightning, but he saved me by bashing the construct's head off with an iron shield.

I parted ways with Takru Twistknight in the town of Noblecakes. I should have seen it coming. On the way there, we passed through areas that should have been hamlets but were instead verdant forests. What hamlets we did find were desolate ruins, long since reclaimed by the growing woods. When we arrived at the town, I noticed something but failed to realize the danger until it was too late. The town was inhabited by elves of the Unswerving Gorge, and they attacked my companion on sight without provocation. I defend my companion, becoming an enemy of their nation in the process, killing many elves. Not enough. He takes a kakapo arrow to the lower leg, and a larch spear embedded in his shield arm, but he keeps fighting while I make my way to his side. By the time I get to him, he's pale from blood loss, but we manage to clear out most of the elf peasants. Working together, we whittle them down to two, and it looks as if my friend will survive. He takes one last cut to the other leg before we finish the elves off.
He bleeds again, and there's nothing I can do, no time. I begin a conversation with him, see if there's anything I missed. He reminds me of his wife, the niece he lost, and lists his kills for me. He has no quests for me to do. I end the conversation, take three steps, and he bleeds to death. I gather up his corpse and every one of belongings, and begin a long trek south.
 It's slow going with the heavy load, but I make my way back to the hamlet I recruited this man from less than a year ago. I find his wife and hand over her husband's remains and worldly possessions. With this final act of respect finished, I look to the north and begin my journey anew.
I have unfinished business with the elves.

His name was Takru Twistknight, and he was my first companion.

I learned from that simple lasher that the creatures inhabiting the worlds we play in can be more amazing than the adventurers we create to explore them. The adventurers can do incredible things, but that's what they're meant to do and even the greatest adventurer feats are almost always just par for the course. It is when a common creature goes beyond their parameters and secures a place in history and our hearts that we find something of mention. Even if they need a little help getting there.

But every world, every god damn time, the elves deny so many that chance to define themselves. They wrench the role of antagonist form the goblins' hands to make war on the mortal races in the name of nature, and they just don't stop until they run out of things to kill. So many dead, so many killed, the blood of too many creatures to count is on elven hands because of their damn trees.
I'm going to kill them. I'm going to kill them all. The Unswerving Gorge is just one of three elven civilizations on this world, and they've all performed the same unforgivable acts. I've let the elves run rampant through too many worlds, and now, it's personal. The Second Great Tree Jihad ends by my hand. This one and all to follow.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: May 18, 2014, 09:27:02 pm »

New adventurer, same world.

Another hammer user. Killed a named troll, an ettin, a cyclops, a giantess, and a few bandit kobolds. I also came across a named dingo-woman.

And one surprising encounter while trying to take down a roc. The roc wasn't alone in her nest. Accompanying her was a spider demon. The same one that killed my last adventurer. They weren't hostile to one another.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I accidentally threw my shield, but it hit the spider hard enough to bruise its brain. I then ran around in circles while being chased by the roc, looking for the opportunity to pick my shield back up. I managed to break its leg with a counter attack, and it passed out from pain shortly afterwards, which was a bit anti-climactic.

I then took out a minotaur in its labyrinth. The place was at least three levels deep, and the loot was mediocre, aside from a bismuth bronze mail shirt. The rest of the items in the lair were just rope reed clothing and some elf bits laying around.

A bit further North was a night troll lair. It wasn't armed, and again there wasn't anything interesting in the lair. However, there was a goblin thief milling about just outside of the lair. It was friendly, but didn't have much to say.

A dead hydra, another night troll, and another normal troll. I also killed another band of kobolds. I'm fairly certain that is all that was left in this world.

I went back to the cave, and went to retrieve my previous adventurer's corpse. I found the artifact bow, but the hammer was nowhere to be seen. At least everything on the way to the corpse was already cleared. Upon exiting the cave and traveling back to the nearest town, I found that the bow had disappeared from my inventory. Artifacts are odd in adventure mode.

I guess that's all for this character. And this world.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:11:22 am by BlackFlyme »

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: May 19, 2014, 02:33:23 am »

maybe do a fortress then to see what carvings they make of your adventurer?

Forrest

• Bay Watcher
  • The doctor is in.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: May 20, 2014, 01:39:49 pm »

I just recruited a maceman. Almost immediately after I hired him, an alligator tore apart all the nerves in his lower leg, and now he can't walk. However, that didn't seem to affect him in any way, and he actually kills better than me. First off, he proceeded to kill every alligator around that river right after being crippled. When we were ambushed by goblins, he was weaving in between them, rolling to avoid their weapons, before smashing random bones in their body and subsequently their skulls. Later, he had also killed a minotaur, multiple giant legendary animals, and many bandits. It was then I found he had a wide and two sons. So, we trekked back across half of the huge world, fighting through pack after pack of wolves, hyenas, and dingos before making it to his town, where I retired my adventurer. 

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: May 23, 2014, 04:29:02 pm »

Let me tell you about Takru Twistknight.

My axegun-slinging avatar recently recruited an aging human lasher. Takru Twistknight was sixty years old and married to Bok Apexwatches for thirty years of his life. They never had children, but Takru had a niece who was killed by a titan, which was in turned killed by her father. I wasn't sure why he'd want to leave his wife behind, but I took him on anyway.
I can't say why, I usually like working alone. I consider bogeymen little more than replenishable live targets and can handle most anything else on my own. I wouldn't regret my decision.

Takru didn't have much skill, nothing more than novice when I found him, but he was well equipped with a bronze whip, iron breastplate and helm. We made a good team, I'd pick off targets from range and he'd make sure nothing got close, finishing off whatever my high-powered firearm didn't kill outright. Surprised me, he was a decent combatant despite his advanced age and apparent lack of skill. He could hold his own with perfectly healthy opponents and actually didn't need my help that much. Had a bit of a mean streak, though, took his time finishing off targets if he could.

I grew a bit attached to the guy. He was a bigger help than I imagined, and I started taking care of him. When he got hurt, I body-swapped into him to apply my idea of first aid. I improved his equipment and even let him take credit for a few quests in the same way.
We made our way north from the southern hamlet Takru called home, righting wrongs, slaying beasts, and all that jazz. We had our scrapes and a few close calls. I thought I was going to lose him when we raided a bandit camp and he got surrounded. He flew into a rage and killed three of the bandits before I could join him. I thought I was going to die when we confronted an iron dwarf, a dwarf-sized iron colossus that moves like greased lightning, but he saved me by bashing the construct's head off with an iron shield.

I parted ways with Takru Twistknight in the town of Noblecakes. I should have seen it coming. On the way there, we passed through areas that should have been hamlets but were instead verdant forests. What hamlets we did find were desolate ruins, long since reclaimed by the growing woods. When we arrived at the town, I noticed something but failed to realize the danger until it was too late. The town was inhabited by elves of the Unswerving Gorge, and they attacked my companion on sight without provocation. I defend my companion, becoming an enemy of their nation in the process, killing many elves. Not enough. He takes a kakapo arrow to the lower leg, and a larch spear embedded in his shield arm, but he keeps fighting while I make my way to his side. By the time I get to him, he's pale from blood loss, but we manage to clear out most of the elf peasants. Working together, we whittle them down to two, and it looks as if my friend will survive. He takes one last cut to the other leg before we finish the elves off.
He bleeds again, and there's nothing I can do, no time. I begin a conversation with him, see if there's anything I missed. He reminds me of his wife, the niece he lost, and lists his kills for me. He has no quests for me to do. I end the conversation, take three steps, and he bleeds to death. I gather up his corpse and every one of belongings, and begin a long trek south.
 It's slow going with the heavy load, but I make my way back to the hamlet I recruited this man from less than a year ago. I find his wife and hand over her husband's remains and worldly possessions. With this final act of respect finished, I look to the north and begin my journey anew.
I have unfinished business with the elves.

His name was Takru Twistknight, and he was my first companion.

I learned from that simple lasher that the creatures inhabiting the worlds we play in can be more amazing than the adventurers we create to explore them. The adventurers can do incredible things, but that's what they're meant to do and even the greatest adventurer feats are almost always just par for the course. It is when a common creature goes beyond their parameters and secures a place in history and our hearts that we find something of mention. Even if they need a little help getting there.

But every world, every god damn time, the elves deny so many that chance to define themselves. They wrench the role of antagonist form the goblins' hands to make war on the mortal races in the name of nature, and they just don't stop until they run out of things to kill. So many dead, so many killed, the blood of too many creatures to count is on elven hands because of their damn trees.
I'm going to kill them. I'm going to kill them all. The Unswerving Gorge is just one of three elven civilizations on this world, and they've all performed the same unforgivable acts. I've let the elves run rampant through too many worlds, and now, it's personal. The Second Great Tree Jihad ends by my hand. This one and all to follow.

Thus, the hate for the elves was born.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: May 27, 2014, 10:01:59 pm »

I begun my adventure, I was training up my skills on a crab so I could fight a werebeast and get bit ( and hopefully survive) ...things went a bit sour after the crab attacked my toe knocking me out then it proceeded to rip my throat apart.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: May 28, 2014, 10:52:02 am »

Yeah, those crabs can be dangerous. Their claws have a nasty tendency to rip right to the bone of small appendages when not armored well enough. Lost at least a dozen would-be adventurers this way.

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: May 28, 2014, 05:50:10 pm »

so I was just playing a male elven peasant outsider, and I just completed my first mission; to slay a crime lord hidden in the sewers beneath an abbey
I wouldn't been a dwarf but they're too easy, and so are humans, but just at the start
I did it all by myself buck naked with nothing but a bronze spear that I stone from some chick I killed at a bandit camp(not the quest dude) and a large copper dagger, all while I had an eagle right upper leg stuck in my teeth in case I got hungry
I didn't even get a scratch, and I owe it all to my legendary+9 ambushing skill and legendary+0 wrestling skill, as well as my legendary+6 fighting skills, high strength, agility, toughness, endurance, willpower, spatial sense, and kinesthetic sense, and above average focus

basically what I did is I walked up to every human I saw in those sewers and I strangled them, then I impaled their heads or cut them off; it probably also helped that I was fat which let me wrestle those animals as long as I did without any permanent injuries, scars excluded

I still don't have a backpack or any armor that fits me though, so its not gonna be easy to survive later on if I don't find any armor or a backpack
so I just went back to the keep to turn in the quest to the lord of the city himself, and whaddya know
I found Ero Casserrono, lord, <male symbol> on top of the holy cheese, <female symbol> in the corner of the room next the the room I first found the lord and holy cheese in
that was also the only religious figure that I found in the entire town
next time I'll report the successes to someone else; I think it was kinda cheesy to walk in on the lord while he clearly was enjoying himself

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: May 28, 2014, 10:38:19 pm »

Started wandering around a bit, and got ambushed by about a half-dozen owlbears. I should really make them weaker somehow.

I barely survived, losing the use of an arm in the process. I lost my weapon somewhere, and my back-up copper dagger was thrown into a pond, which froze shortly afterwards.

I slept after the battle, only to wake up to three more owlbears. As soon as the pond thawed I went for my dagger, but it went into my pack instead of my hands. After dispatching the monsters with my teeth, I took out my dagger, only for this to happen:

I'm guessing that the dagger was still quite cold:

And I look like a right mess:

My left glove and gauntlet are both quite damaged from the cold as well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:40:24 pm by BlackFlyme »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: May 29, 2014, 08:11:20 am »

Let me tell you the story of a legend.

Once, there was a great hero. His spear-slinging skill was unmatched. He was sent to destroy a group of bandits for his first quest. The bandits were far too skilled to dispatch all at once, so he decided on a dastardly plan. He got a sack of sharp rocks and threw them at the bandits, quickly dispatching them. After a mano a mano battle with the leader, he claimed the leader's ashandarei and proceeded to demolish a few more bandits and slay two beasts of the night.

Soon he had a band of righteous heroes, and tasked himself with a dangerous goal: slay the Hill Titan of Terror, a massive stinging snake. He and his heroes smote the beast and stopped the dark ravaging of the isle.

This is one of my greatest heroes yet.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 1104