Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2093826 times)

Nedinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #5130 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:31 pm »

Just made an orc cutta an hour ago, did about three lair quests, and got one of those important jobs from a fortress ruler. My quest, to kill a water dragon skulking around the capital's sewers... I've never seen a town that BIG before. Seriously, the shopping portion is the size of about seven large housing parts of hamlets. Anyways, searched the sewers and found diddly squat.

I went to the castle to look for weapons and shields to use and gather a posse, and found the queen at the top. Just to goof off, I called her out as a night creature, and sure enough, she was a dang vampire. Next thing I know, half the castle goes hostile as cultists (somewhere around twenty; there was a lot of people in the castle) and the guards are fighting them off. I go straight for the queen, fight a bit, and she runs away, leaving me and the guards to fend off the cultists.

After killing the eight or so at the top, I gathered up the guards and headed downstairs to a cluster@#$% of blood and gore between a bunch of guards siding with the officials and the cultists with the queen. It was a long battle; we lost two officials and one guard, but we put down the cultists and the queen. And picked off a few stranglers in the courtyard. It was like something out of a movie and I loved every minute of it.

Nedinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: February 15, 2013, 01:22:26 pm »

Well, that guy didn't last long. While in the catacombs of one of the many temples in the capital, I found some kobolds. Struck them down easily with my band of merry ten men. Going further into the catacombs, I walked through a door and in one turn, just one, seven arrows hit my shield. At that point, I high-tailed it back a bit and let my men storm into the room. Waited a while and then charged in myself to find most of my men crippled and maimed, and in a few more turns, my leg got shot and then every other part of my guy got the accupuncture treatment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: February 15, 2013, 02:01:38 pm »

After a second adventurer was cursed by a mummy and eaten by a wolverine, I finally found some luck: Kol Earthgod, dwarven elemental mage, has succeeded in becoming a weremongoose! Also managed to butcher a few wolverines and the elf that tore my leg up to become a weremongoose.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: February 15, 2013, 02:26:02 pm »

From what Nedinu is saying, Adventure Mode seems pretty fun in Masterwork, though most people say that it was not intended for Adventure Mode. Which side do I believe?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: February 15, 2013, 02:30:32 pm »

Yours: Try it out and see if it's an improvement over what you'd usually use. Then try out other major and minor mods and see how they work for you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nedinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: February 15, 2013, 05:24:12 pm »

To be honest, I could've had this experience on the original DF, or any mod that doesn't take away from the bare minimum; it'd just be a different race. I actually find Masterwork to be incredibly fun because instead of simple stab, slash, or pommel bash, you can slash with the forward or reverse side, swing in a wide arc, or sidestep and slice (but it looks mostly to just be cosmetic I think). Also, the dwarves are fun to use because you can choose to be a life mage, shadow mage, demon mage, etc. But, the game's pretty one-sided in that only the dwarves get that option. Masterwork is also the only mod I have graphic tiles for. I know I could get ironhand and download ironhand versions of mods, but I'm too lazy and very close to my data usage threshold on my IP.

Nedinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: February 16, 2013, 02:09:50 pm »

Ha! Just found out something pretty dang funny. I was trying out that martial artist creature file on another thread, put my points into misc. object user, and grabbed steel cannon balls to throw on the Masterworks mod. While having one in my hand, I found out I could use my hand like a hand-cannon at point blank range. I was able to use the explode on impact move without a gun and without losing the ball. It even made people propel backwards. I restarted with just an ordinary human with adaquate observing, novice swimming, and high master misc. objects. Wasn't able to explode it, but I was able to pierce. It mimics almost exactly the damage a hand-cannon can do without ever having the skill to use it, without the weapon itself, and without the four or five turn penalty.

Editted to add: Oh, and did I mention that with the explode on impact move, most of the time it'd make limbs sail off in an arc, even decapitations. The not-as-powerful pierce still one-shots things easily though. I just wonder if it works with arrows too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:12:31 pm by Nedinu »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: February 16, 2013, 03:02:40 pm »

In my adventures as a weremongoose, I uncovered the werespecies of many of my quest targets, and also witnessed the death of a roc at the hands of a werebuffalo/olm man who had five other notable kills under his belt. There's no screwing with the scaly menace.

I've spent the last two days living in a peasants' shack to get out of a great blizzard which enveloped the landscape.

Then I got encased in ice whilst trying to heat my waterskins over a fire. Fucking Snow!
I make Spellcrafts!

Nedinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: February 16, 2013, 04:06:36 pm »

I've never had a were-anything adventurer, but my sworddwarf was decapitated just yesterday by the pincer of a werescorpion. Man, I would've loved to be a werescorpion.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: February 16, 2013, 04:29:18 pm »

I've never had a were-anything adventurer, but my sworddwarf was decapitated just yesterday by the pincer of a werescorpion. Man, I would've loved to be a werescorpion.
That's too bad he didn't survive. Becoming a werebeast adventure often entails having your arm bitten off.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: February 16, 2013, 06:03:22 pm »

Yeah. Let's just say she had her arm bitten off rather than... Yeah...

I still had the body part in my backpack when the gods decided to turn me into a dorfsicle. After savescumming, I suddenly realize I never saved after becoming a werebeast. At least I'm nearby the lair and it's nearly the full moon again. Time to see what fraction of my adventurer is liberated from the rest of her this time.

IT'S TIME FOR SOME REINDEER WRASTLING!

[edit]

Oh bollocks!

This time I successfully became a weremongoose, with only losing the use of my arm and a hell of a lot of blood, and escaped with all my gear in my bag thanks to lopping off the beast's foot. I proceeded to flee into the dark of the night, northwards. I saved my game and reloaded, then continued for a brief while when suddenly I was ambushed; Night Creature! Not just any night creature, but Stinthad the weremongoose whom I fought only an hour prior, whose foot had yet to regenerate thanks to not transforming back yet. Sometimes the RNG knows exactly what to do to make the game more fun.

Time for a werebeast duel.

[edit]

Well, I defeated the werebeast soundly. Of course I cheated as well; I had my sword and shield and was perfectly healthy, he was naked, unarmed, and crawling through the snow. After that I headed North-east towards a druid tower the locals wanted me to clear out for them, and on the way I located a lair, home to a pair of frost wyrms, mother and son I presume after butchering them.

I killed and butchered the much-smaller male with ease, but whilst fighting his mother, she ripped my leg off. I still managed to put her down and the bleeding stopped, but I was stuck there in the lair for roughly 32 hours while I waited for the full moon to wane and permit me to transform back into a dwarf. I butchered the dragons, and since I chopped them into such neat little pieces I get lots of leather I can craft into valuable and protective clothing later when I'm more skilled with leatherworking.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:33:25 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: February 17, 2013, 07:02:15 pm »

I visited the sea side resort the dwarfs had founded. Well, making an embark encompassing a complete (small) lake and building tunnels under it was quite fun in fortress mode, but i hadn't accounted for the annoying water refill bug - apparently every bit of open floor in a lake/ocean biome gets filled with 7/7 water whenever the place is re-loaded after abandoning.

Most of the fortress was flooded _and_ flooding off into the caverns. And unloading/reloading the site made matters much much much (x100) worse. I had thought to camp on the site and kill bogeys. Well, sleeping there unloaded/reloaded the map and slowed all movement to a painful crawl, around one second per step. I went off-site for my bogeyman farming, spent five or six nights netting three encounters and fifteen kills. Then i went back to collect my reward - *adamantine pick*, ad. helm, breastplate and flask. Hoo boy. Movement speed was three steps - per minute. Took almost an hour to get to the forge, grab my stuff and leave.

Next order of business was getting to another civ, because the one i started out at was completely used up adventure-wise. Except i had _no_ other civs on the map. In a "large" world. Eventually i caved in, opened the backup copy of the world and took a gander. Well, the nearest village was only three days away, no biggie. I was sleeping in the day and travelling at night btw. Much safer to encounter bogeymen when you're awake and sharp - sleeping means you usually start out stunned, and with bad luck they can get free headshots before you wake up.

By now, i'm happily butchering my way through werebeasts, vampires and bandits, with a dragon on the horizon. I had a pretty weird find in a night troll lair - among the nine bleak women and mates was a vampire. And no, that wasn't a vampire who had decided to set up shop there, it was an honest to goodness "mate of the bleak woman vampire". I guess he got assimilated after becoming cursed. That bleak woman must've been quite ballsy that only a vampire was good enough for her. Perhaps the primary quality she looked for in men was sparkles?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: February 18, 2013, 10:07:46 pm »

Okay tried my hand with masterworks and the unreleased dfhack(r3) kinda started an Orc fort then swap over to an Ork miner, forgot to assign the Greenskin as an adventurer and end up in the body of a Dark Sprite, who I named 'Dark love'. She wasn't a proper adventurer either so she to do something about that.
So Dark talk to her group(she started next to a band of 6 Dark Sprites) and found one willing to join her, nicknamed Suzi. Suzi was mark down in history as a person 'willingly wanted to go on an adventure' which allow Dark Love to have access to an adventurer's rest, and travel safety, let alone companion order(and none of that horrible quantum leap shenanigans ).
Dark Love and Suzi plotted what to do next and decided on getting out of the dark mossy surroundings and see what's above their heads.
Than First hurdle was found, Dark Love had no means of acquiring the tool needed to dig through the sky, and she has no access to pebbles to craft a one. I found out I'm pretty much playing a vanilla masterwork mod with out my adventure mode reactions(which gives a pick). Suzi finished recruiting the rest of the Sisters while Love wanders around the caverns thinking up ways to craft something to help her achieve her goals. about 1 hour of thinking Dark love spotted a gremlin, weird fellow who notice 'ya been setting up a party to visit the surface. I Want in' gremlin went off and came back with a bone shovel. Dark love face flare up as she swipe the shovel out of the Gremlin's hands. shoveling out bits of mossy dirt from the ground, getting a good practice in before finally breaching the hard sky above them.
Clunk, tink tink Clunk The shovel stop dead unable to push any harder through the dirt, the bone shovel can't dig through solid rock.

defeated the party went around looking for anything ANYTHING that could replace the bone weak shovel sadly to no avail. by this time Dark Love kinda given up on digging defeated even more she vainly smack her shovel on a wall... which broke down, Masterworks has prebuilt brick walls that are lost to time, which are about as soft as soil. The Love didn't waste any time and use that bone shovel to dig a up/down stairwell up through layers of brick and dirt lost from time. at last she made it she finally got to see the sun and the blue sky for the first time.

then some tame horses ran towards us and lost a couple sisters in the retreat. Dark love, Suzi, 3 sisters and a gremlin are now wondering the topsoil exploring a new world.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

roushguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: February 19, 2013, 02:42:05 am »

Decided that I want to have a great deal of slaughtery fun. Used Cheat Engine to max out all my stats and skills (yeah, yeah, cheating is bad, but I didn't have the luxury of saving, since I was on a different comp) and proceeded to go to a town, find the king, and slaughter him like a wildebeest. My bad luck, it's a freakin' DEMON made out of something not flesh. After about an hour of uselessly banging on each other, I get tripped by a guard's rush, he punches me in the chest and tears up my heart. Dying, I stand up, impale the guard and leave him to die with a broken upper spine, and futilely bang on the demon for about five minutes, before finally dying of my broken heart.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: February 19, 2013, 04:36:24 am »

Okay tried my hand with masterworks and the unreleased dfhack(r3) kinda started an Orc fort then swap over to an Ork miner, forgot to assign the Greenskin as an adventurer and end up in the body of a Dark Sprite, who I named 'Dark love'. She wasn't a proper adventurer either so she to do something about that.
So Dark talk to her group(she started next to a band of 6 Dark Sprites) and found one willing to join her, nicknamed Suzi. Suzi was mark down in history as a person 'willingly wanted to go on an adventure' which allow Dark Love to have access to an adventurer's rest, and travel safety, let alone companion order(and none of that horrible quantum leap shenanigans ).
Dark Love and Suzi plotted what to do next and decided on getting out of the dark mossy surroundings and see what's above their heads.
Than First hurdle was found, Dark Love had no means of acquiring the tool needed to dig through the sky, and she has no access to pebbles to craft a one. I found out I'm pretty much playing a vanilla masterwork mod with out my adventure mode reactions(which gives a pick). Suzi finished recruiting the rest of the Sisters while Love wanders around the caverns thinking up ways to craft something to help her achieve her goals. about 1 hour of thinking Dark love spotted a gremlin, weird fellow who notice 'ya been setting up a party to visit the surface. I Want in' gremlin went off and came back with a bone shovel. Dark love face flare up as she swipe the shovel out of the Gremlin's hands. shoveling out bits of mossy dirt from the ground, getting a good practice in before finally breaching the hard sky above them.
Clunk, tink tink Clunk The shovel stop dead unable to push any harder through the dirt, the bone shovel can't dig through solid rock.

defeated the party went around looking for anything ANYTHING that could replace the bone weak shovel sadly to no avail. by this time Dark Love kinda given up on digging defeated even more she vainly smack her shovel on a wall... which broke down, Masterworks has prebuilt brick walls that are lost to time, which are about as soft as soil. The Love didn't waste any time and use that bone shovel to dig a up/down stairwell up through layers of brick and dirt lost from time. at last she made it she finally got to see the sun and the blue sky for the first time.

then some tame horses ran towards us and lost a couple sisters in the retreat. Dark love, Suzi, 3 sisters and a gremlin are now wondering the topsoil exploring a new world.

I swear there is a thread like this for fort mode.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 1104