Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2093783 times)

h.scorpio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #5100 on: February 09, 2013, 02:11:23 am »

For the first time ever, the game has decided to present me with me a truly decent weapon - an ≡iron shortsword≡.

Shortly thereafter, looting the corpse of some bandit ringleader, I find a ☼silver morningstar☼ and an ☼iron shield☼...

Now if I could only find my way out of these sewers...

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: February 09, 2013, 03:24:18 am »

In response to the bogeymen, you can get ones with horns. They don't care if you have armor, they will impale you.

Ouch, okay... I was thinking of going solo, seeing as how ambushes are MUCH nicer when you don't have companions with you (2-3 enemies instead of 20-30, easier to handle since companions don't help much in those situations anyway, except as meat-shields), and since I thought I could handle bogeys easily.

Might want to at least keep one companion with me then, just to don't tempt fate TOO much...

---

I've finally made it back to civilization, and I'm pleased to say that the journey back was uneventful (got bogeys first night only, no problems there, the only other surprise was an ambush by a couple of goblins and, later on, some wolves).

Made my way to the nearest hot-shot lord and got a new quest, now they want me to kill a titan or something, this time on a different continent altogether... There might be a land-bridge somewhere, but it's still a LONG way to go to get there.

Thinking of retiring for a while, if nothing else then just for resetting my fame, which I'd think would give me some humbler, closer quests for a while. Might get the titan first though, since that'll give me some new lands to explore after eventual retirement.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: February 09, 2013, 06:15:36 am »

In all honesty, I save-scummed a little... it's not so much fun for me when they kill me with lucky shot in the eye and I would be annoyed if I were to recreate my adventurer over and over.

Anyhow - my adventuress happens to be legendary swordswoman for whom I am currently trying to find set of masterwork armour... and a weremammoth, which is nice as it regenerates chopped off limbs and makes her strong enough to survive the bogeymen attacks when she has to wait out the full moon in wilderness.

I must agree with others that legendary ambusher is *the* most important skill for any adventurer that hopes to survive at least moderately long.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Tamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FurryHelix
« Reply #5103 on: February 09, 2013, 07:21:52 am »

I, as a Dracon necromancer, just raided another Dracon village; they didn't appreciate me turning up, so I turned them into the tools of their own destruction.

There is something awesome about slowly grinding a village to dust, with the shambling, burning corpses of their neighbours. It looks very cool when you're marching across the farm fields, looking like you're leading the End Times: what appears to be a wall of flame, smoke, and an army of burning, skeletal warriors; charring the fields where they step.  :o

And, unfortunately, melting me with their boiling blood. Apparently, being fireproof to dragonfire doesn't mean you're immune to boiling dragonblood. Worth it, though.

(Well, it's not such a big deal, since I stole the book that grants the power to raise corpses, and stashed it in my starting village (Which is marked as a lair, now.) so that I can just gain the power without having to fight through the necrotower again. The way that I look at it is that it's a village of cultists, so it's perfectly okay to have The Book in there. And who's gonna argue with the guy with the army of burning corpses? :D)
I see !!elves!! of green, and red !!magma!! too; I see them burn for me and you; and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: February 09, 2013, 08:14:26 am »

I must agree with others that legendary ambusher is *the* most important skill for any adventurer that hopes to survive at least moderately long.

I find that the wiki is extremely wrong on one point: the best defence in adventure mode is not a good offence, but rather - fanfare! - good defensive skills. And speed and optionally stealth. Expert+ in both dodging and shield use and about 1200 speed are enough to render you nearly immune to melee enemies.  Safety from elite fighters and archers takes a bit more work, but nothing that can't be done in one day of wrestling a kestrel.

Getting surrounded by enemies is never really risk-free, however. Massively legendary skills are not enough to reliably escape a zombie horde or a competent ambush squad.

Bogeys, btw, you can even actively encourage if you have good defensive and combat skills and can make sure they don't get the jump on you - necromancers and vampires need no sleep and have a large edge here. With a vamp, i frequently fought bogeys. When you start each fight fully awake at your normal speed and with the bogeys at least a dozen paces away, outmaneuvring them and taking them one by one is _relatively_ easy. No harder than, say, taking on a lair containing three night trolls. If you can do that without breaking a sweat, you can probably take a nightly haunting if you don't start out asleep/stunned.

Current adventure: after taking out two lasher bosses with ungodly blocking/dodging skills by stepping out of hiding and luring them to pools - resulting in massive slapstick antics with lasher faceplants right into the water - i've worked through the quest log (including a fairly anticlimactic dragon) and am getting ready to explore the mountains to the north to find out what became of my fellow dwarfs. Might net me some usable armour after all...
Maces really are pretty bad weapons in adventure mode. I guess it's their large contact area which makes them largely incapable of administering the first broken bones to get an enemy to the floor. I frequently resort to poking stuff with my pike because the shitty mace rarely does more than bruise muscles if an enemy isn't prone already.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: February 09, 2013, 08:24:14 am »

Current adventure: after taking out two lasher bosses with ungodly blocking/dodging skills by stepping out of hiding and luring them to pools - resulting in massive slapstick antics with lasher faceplants right into the water - i've worked through the quest log (including a fairly anticlimactic dragon) and am getting ready to explore the mountains to the north to find out what became of my fellow dwarfs. Might net me some usable armour after all...
Maces really are pretty bad weapons in adventure mode. I guess it's their large contact area which makes them largely incapable of administering the first broken bones to get an enemy to the floor. I frequently resort to poking stuff with my pike because the shitty mace rarely does more than bruise muscles if an enemy isn't prone already.
Sounds good... one of these days I have to make a fortress I can visit with my adventurer... I tried that before, once, but haven't succeeded in finding the place, the maps seemed so different...
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: February 09, 2013, 09:59:11 am »

Once again found myself alone outside at night, since I thought (wrongly) I could reach the next hamlet in time.

Got attacked by bogeys, and managed to strike the three of them down.

Wait, what? Only three? Surely something is amiss? Hmm? What is that noise in the distance?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turns out the two remaining bogeys had decided to attack the domesticated wildlife that was hanging out nearby (I was pretty close to a hamlet when I got attacked), and that turned out to be a fatal mistake... they managed to get one of them down, and wound the other pretty badly before I decided to step in and lop it's head off, since it was giving the remaining animals a pretty good mauling. They fared much better than I thought they would though (especially considering there were no hoofed animals in the group).

"Now you will know why you fear the stray animals!"

"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: February 09, 2013, 10:09:41 am »

I created an Accomplished Crossbowman, and got a Hammerman, Bowman, and Pikeman joining me. We got a quest to defeat "the wife of the Starved Man". So I go to the site thinking that the monster was just some mentally unstable lady who lost her husband to Starvation. But, this being Dwarf Fortress, Armok decided it'd be funny to not inform me they were demonic things. We slay the Wife, and I go a-looting for ammo, money, and maybe some meat, but, (again) Armok decides that two more should join the fray. After a brutally long battle including crossbow bolts, cages, and an appendage from one of the Starving Men, we return as heroes, and are sent to the far side of the island. Literally one Fucking travel square away from my destination, we get ambushed by Goblins. We are all killed in a few moments.

God, I hate Goblins...
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: February 09, 2013, 02:56:36 pm »

Well... that escalated quickly.

Visited a city, and as per usual I went into the keep dungeon. Found no enemies down there, but what I did find was an entire underground (mostly) elven city!

And it was friendly! At least to me. My human companions didn't think so though. If they want to get killed, fine by me, but they didn't have to drag me into the mess with them.
I got out fine, my companions (and the elves) didn't.

Thought for sure that the city in which the dungeon-city was located were gonna go bonkers on me as well, but seems they weren't of the same civ or something (despite there being an elven majority up there). They even thanked me for killing the leader down there.

I must say that finding this hidden "elf-outcast" place was pretty cool, a nice little "touch" to the game.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: February 09, 2013, 11:29:56 pm »

I roundhouse kicked an ostrich to the head and knocked it out and an alligator bit my tongue off. Then I got swarmed by zombies. But focus on the first sentence.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: February 10, 2013, 06:34:23 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm, I think I need to make a correction here. Seems likely the elves weren't friendly after all, it's possible that there is some "trigger" that decides how they react to you when you encounter them, and sometimes that doesn't "kick in" when it should.

Noticed this when I wandered into a bandit encampment, and the first guy I met didn't attack. I talked to him, recruited him, and when I moved into the camp proper he was standing in the square I was moving to, so I "stepped" into him. Imagine my surprise when my adventurer suddenly decides to stab him in the head... Seems like whatever "trigger" there is kicked in at that moment, turning him hostile.

Or he was just trying to fool me, lulling me into a false sense of safety in order to backstab me later.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: February 10, 2013, 07:41:36 am »

Came upon something really weird here.

I came to a new civ, and I asked them about their capital. They told me it was "Kissdemons", which I thought was a strange name, but then again, I've encountered civs with capital names like "Stranglehope" and such, so I didn't really think too much about it. Looked it up on the map though, and to my surprise I see that it's a Dark Fortress? Like wtf?

And from there it just got weirder.

Entered the first city belonging to the civ that I came to, and went to speak to their lord. And he's a goblin?! Once more, wtf?! And there were even a couple of goblin guards and children running around, all friendly. Weirder still, the town was mostly inhabited by dwarves, and I thought dwarves and goblins were mortal enemies beyond anything else.

Needless to say, I've decided that this abomination needs to be purged. Preferably with fire, if I can manage it.

Has anyone else seen something like this? I mean, I've seen civs with demons as leaders, but that's one thing, since you can assume that the demons are being "sneaky" about it, taking the guise of a human or something, but I wouldn't think goblins would be able to do the same? Real shocker.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: February 10, 2013, 08:15:46 am »

Must have been the dwarven children they kidnapped decades ago and who managed to grow up as the members of goblin society.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: February 10, 2013, 08:30:51 am »

Must have been the dwarven children they kidnapped decades ago and who managed to grow up as the members of goblin society.

Maybe. Must've been a LOT of children though, since the dwarf-to-goblin ratio is like 50:1.

It's good fun purging this wicked civ though, couldn't bear myself to attacking friendlies before, but these guys just seem... wrong, so now it feels ok.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:43 pm »

Can bogeymen fly or is it just an addition to the Dragonball mod? The bogeymen had a horn and a wing too, it wasn't too tough though, since I was flying and just snatching at them like a Roc till they eventually died, earlier I killed a goblin ringmaster the same way, he wasn't too much of a fight, neither was his swordsman or his axedwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 1104