Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2093702 times)

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #5055 on: January 31, 2013, 05:26:00 pm »

Crutches - one is enough, but you need one usable leg (and at least one grasp); if both legs are disabled, you'll be crawling on the ground forever. When both legs are still completely present (if you lost both feet, there's nothing appropriate to stand on), you might have suffered motor nerve damage in both legs _or_ nerve damage in the lower spine.

Just for troubleshooting - the crutch is in the open inventory, not in a container, and you're trying the 's' for 'stand up' command?

Ah, probably grounded forever then. I have the crutch equipped, but can't stand up ('s' does nothing). Both legs are injured, and I have motor nerve damage (doesn't specify that it's on both legs, but I'm afraid that's the case).
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: February 01, 2013, 07:23:28 pm »

Currently learning the basics, aside from any sort of damage whatsoever because why not, as a Cotton-Candy colossus. The only thing I have is a silver scimitar and I'm mostly doing quests trying to find out where dragons and elephants are, so I can wrestle them to death, by doing so before I turn into a Khorne disciple and enter the world into the Age of Emptiness. Anybody know how to advance the world's history? I was stupid and stopped it around year 51 so I don't think there's much history, but there's plenty of stuff to do. Those elves look enticingly squishy...

Also a particularly hilarious battle with some dark monster, more details once I can reach the files, happened recently. I was sent by a deity in a human castle to go kill it and I cornered it in it's cave. The poor bugger only had a copper fork against my neon-blue ass but boy was she slippery; I could hardly get a hit or grab in until I gave her a flying head-butt, I like to think that's what charge attacks are, and knocked her over. I then grabbed her throat and started throttling her and tore off her trunk and tongue, and threw her into the wall. Sadly she didn't explode but I grabbed her again by the throat but couldn't deconstruct her because I kept missing; so I held her in place with a firm left grip, picked up the silver scimitar that I had previously dropped to enhance my wrestling and proceeded to mash the arrow key in her permanently stationary direction. It was hilariously brutal and she finally succumbed to bleeding after mixing the thousand sword wounds with pinching the neck. Resilient little bugger.

Here's the log, my memory may differ but this is straight from the .txt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:23:46 pm by Shalderave »
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: February 02, 2013, 07:44:16 am »

That was one of the night trolls - creatures that lurk in lairs and abduct sentient beings to eat or reproduce with. Using the sword was probably your best choice, although i find it interesting that a sword wielded by a probably crazily strong creature couldn't lop limbs off - maybe that was due to silver's poor performance in edged weapons?

I'm considering updating the night troll entry in the wiki to give a better idea of what you're facing in adventure mode, so if anyone could add or correct, i'd be grateful:

- night trolls are generated 'procedurally': at world creation, a number of night troll species is generated, each with its own random appearance. Typical features are horns, trunks, tails and wings.
- they are usually a bit larger than humans. As a consequence, breaking their brains is close to impossible with unarmed attacks and difficult with blunt attacks. In addition, they are quite difficult to wrestle successfully, e.g. to escape a grip they established on you.
- they are not susceptible to pain and do not need to breathe. You cannot kill them through suffocation or make them pass out. They can die from bleeding out, beheading, bisection and brain damage.
- their body tissue is not particularly tough, a battle-axe can easily sever entire limbs or bisect them even with moderate skill.
- they do not have a humanoid body plan, meaning they have no fingers or toes to target, and you cannot break their limbs through joint locks.
#I'm not at all certain on the last point, because i quickly gave up on detailed wrestling against them (no choking, too heavy to throw without killing myself), restricting myself to bodygrabs and takedowns so i could break their legs before biting/shaking for the kill.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: February 02, 2013, 07:53:42 am »

I recently retired my adventurer (the first that has survived long enough for me to do so), due to severed motor nerves in both legs.

Now I've decided to pick him back up, and instead let him go out in a blaze of glory (or a haze of gory).

Problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how you un-retire someone? Thought there'd be an option in the character creation screen, like there is with reclaim for fortresses, but can't find it, and googling it has been no help...

Pointers would be most appreciated!

Edit: This post ended up in the wrong thread for some reason... Thought it was strange when it went missing, at least now I know where it went...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:49:04 am by Flanderbland »
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: February 02, 2013, 07:53:43 am »

Night creatures are EXTREMELY vulnerable to bisection.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: February 02, 2013, 01:58:00 pm »

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:00:42 pm by Aerie »
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: February 02, 2013, 03:06:47 pm »

Currently, my adventurer is facing a tought decision. He and his companion, a former slave armed with a copper knife, have been surrounded by human bandits. The trouble is that these bandits are friendly to my adventurer, who is new in the area, but at war with my companion's civilization. Now, one of them is a Swordmaster, one is a Hammer Lord, and one an Elite Bowman. All three are recruitable, but that would require my current companion's death. I am torn. On one hand, the Mason I freed from slavery and who's survived two Clown encounters with me. On the other, Masterwork-equipped death machines.
Please help.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: February 02, 2013, 04:31:52 pm »

That was one of the night trolls - creatures that lurk in lairs and abduct sentient beings to eat or reproduce with. Using the sword was probably your best choice, although i find it interesting that a sword wielded by a probably crazily strong creature couldn't lop limbs off - maybe that was due to silver's poor performance in edged weapons?

Could be, I also don't think I built him properly in the stats selection screen, wasted some points on things and what not. I'm making a new, redesigned, streamlined version to go along with a severely more violent world and I'll let you know how that goes with whatever giant steel sword I find.

Also I'll wrestle the next night troll I find with my streamlined cotton-colossus and tell you if their legs can break. I can't seem to grab the little shits, but I'm gonna wrestle-grind to fix that this time. By the way, I can see my strength and endurance and so forth via "view attributes", but I can't see what skill level I am in like striking or kicking; is that on a different screen or am I blind?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:41:41 pm by Shalderave »
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: February 02, 2013, 04:42:13 pm »

Problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how you un-retire someone?

When you go into adventure mode, on the screen where you pick your character,
(Human Outsider, Elf of Lalilulelo etc. ), your previous adventurers will be listed at the bottom
as Urist McAdventurer of the_place_he_retired_in

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: February 02, 2013, 08:19:48 pm »

Some more data on wrestling and similar nonsense collected. I'm playing a naked dwarf again, and the main annoyance is the long buildup you need before you can go into serious fights; basically, you have to do dodge-grinding to make yourself sufficiently unlikely to get hit and resilient enough so you don't pass out everytime something _does_ hit you. I started out in the completely wrong end of the world - the area that had been completely bared of any worthwile quest targets by two major adventurers. Cue a four-week trek to less exploited lands. At least it built completely insane ambusher skill.

Anyhow, with superdwarven strength and legendary +50 (seriously!) wrestling, i had a bit over 50% chance to successfully 'take down' a lion (rated at 200 litres), but failed rather consistently against a giant mongoose (221 litres). I guess the ability to wrestle horses is not realistically attainable. Breaking the legs of creatures standing up with super* strength and plain legendary kicks stops around humans, anything larger must be toppled first. Breaking the bones of prone creatures is significantly easier, i could reliably break legs of giant felines and even giants. I'm not aware of a no-equipment means to get such large creatures to lie down without exposing myself to danger (basically, you have to trick them into dodging or charging down a z-level). As alternative to the choice between danger and boredom, i chose to use meat cleavers i got out of some night troll lairs. Those are very handy in sending unarmoured enemies to the floor. Funnily, they will bounce off ordinary clothing quite often.

And the safest (relatively) way i found to kill night-trolls with a naked character with lots of wrestling skill: grapple them, take them down. When they're down - make sure they haven't stood back up yet - kick them in the legs to keep them down. That's so they don't attack so often, they're pretty good at hitting you and have a very very strong bite. Once you managed that, methodically bite them in their extremities and then shake them. This once again requires a lot of wrestling skill to succeed, but will reliably open arteries on every successful shake, eventually letting them bleed out. For biting, only hit chance matters. Any bite that actually hits will latch on and allow following up with a good shake.

If you use equipment, it gets a lot easier - wield an edged weapon and target extremities, head and lower body, prioritising hit chance over damage potential. They are remarkably easy to cut apart.

Edit: oh, and in one town i looked through the bags of plants lying around and found - plump helmets! I haven't the foggiest how they got their fingers on those. Since i'm subsisting entirely on found food, that was a nice addition to my diet. Unfortunately, the current area is devoid of night troll lairs, so no elf/goblin/human meat...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:24:21 pm by Larix »

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: February 02, 2013, 08:26:50 pm »

After making my streamline candy-colossus, I'm heading to the nearest elf village and finding a piss-weak peasant to wrestle constantly while laughing at his friends trying to hurt me. I'll let you know how it goes, sadly though I have minimum chance of death; that's what you get when you mod yourself into walking Armageddon...but who's complaining? The NPC's. All of them.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: February 02, 2013, 08:34:08 pm »

Currently playing as a goblin swordsman/martial artist and frankly I'm feeling kind of like an asshole. >.> I mean it's one thing to cut a guy's hands and feet off. It's another entirely to just continually kick them in the ribs, stomach, and face while they're lying there helpless until you jam a rib through the heart/lungs and they bleed out or send the skull through the brain.

EDIT: Also I just solo'd a Roc, 'Tethrus Naturaljungles the Plain Clearing'. :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:54:42 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: February 03, 2013, 01:55:57 am »

Ran into an error with my cyan buddy, I can't learn anything. Remedying; will wrestle elves ASAP.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: February 03, 2013, 01:58:46 am »

Did you remember to give them the [INTELLIGENT] tag? If so, no clue why he isn't getting any skills.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: February 03, 2013, 02:14:26 am »

No I didn't but thanks to Putnam, my hypothesis has been confirmed.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 1104