Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2093135 times)

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #4995 on: January 01, 2013, 12:43:12 am »

My current character is a masterpiece of abused game mechanics. I basically had him sit underneath a horseshoe crab for about thirty dwarf days. For most of them, he didn't have a shield, since the only fortress within walking distance had no shields except on the bandits in it's dungeon, and when he finally got a shield it was pretty much impossible to train, since out of over 2700 attacks, only five would actually get through his passive dodge to be blocked by his shield. I managed to hit Master Shield-User, with Legendary +50 Armor-User and Dodger and Legendary +100 Fighter.

After killing a few warlords and the like (two of whom had subordinates with masterwork equipment), I got a quest to talk to the local Lord. He told me to go kill a dragon. On the other side of the ocean. So, now I'm about to swim across an ocean go kill a dragon (who killed two people in his reign of terror) with a pickaxe and a few bone-shattering scratches. I expect the dragon to be easy enough, but swimming the ocean before it freezes me solid will be harder.

EDIT
I have successfully swam the ocean (after spending the night on a conveniently placed tropical island) and killed the dragon with a single blow. Unfortunately, being weighed down by the dragon's skull and several pieces of elephant ivory let the ice catch up to me.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:23:37 pm by Nathail »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: January 01, 2013, 01:05:02 am »

You can turn off dodging in combat preferences.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: January 01, 2013, 04:19:03 pm »

You can turn off dodging in combat preferences.

There's still a sort of passive dodge. The higher your dodge skill, the more likely enemy attacks are to miss. It still counts as a dodge, you just don't move when you do it. Believe me, I have literally thousands of alerts and dodge levels to back me up.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: January 01, 2013, 04:24:57 pm »

That counts as dodging? Huh, I just thought they were getting really bad at hitting me.
This explains everything.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Occam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: January 06, 2013, 05:06:36 am »

My dwarf vampire, and most succesful adventurer in my new world, was just retired after getting a motor nerve severed in his left foot. Normally I would still continue after such a ghastly injury, but he was also given a quest by a law-giver to find and eviscerate some poor schmuck in the sewers. Naturally, I abstained from such trivialities and decided that he would be better off living out the rest of his immortal life in a town half populated by goblins. I swiped a crutch from the keep before retiring, so at least he can stand.

Alas, Ablel Noiselessdusk the Touch of Mourning, you will be missed. I don't think I will ever get a title as badass as that again.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: January 06, 2013, 09:55:50 am »

I took my speardwarf for a spin again, accidentally visited a camp i'd already raided - which cost me my companions - then made it to the proper target. Business as usual there: threw a handful of sharp rocks at the target until he became unconscious, then stepped up to him and speared him in the brain, all while stealthed. I left his retainers alone. Walked around a bit and took out an ettin, too - by braining both heads.

This is a world generated for adventuring, so there are tons and tons of lairs. The villagers keep stopping giving quests and redirect me to their liegelords, but asking about surroundings usually gives several more quest-like targets. I like to take some peasants along against lair denizens (both hydra kills were credited to followers), but they die horribly when going after bandit camps. My dwarf isn't much of a killing machine - thirteen notable and seventeen other kills - but her list of 'related entities' has grown to almost fifteen pages by now, mostly 'hero', 'famous hero' and 'legendary hero'.

And you just have to love long-lasting worlds:
talking with a 'child' - You appear to be a mighty warrior indeed.
Human child - I'm thirty-seven!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: January 08, 2013, 12:43:40 am »

I've just had the most brutal and awesome fistfight I've ever done in this game.

My dwarf, "Dwarfman", had talented striker, accomplished wrestler, and adequate kicker, with high strength and agility.  My dorf's left hand didn't work ( due to an incident with a spearbandit earlier ) so all I had was one fist, and my feet.  If you haven't guessed yet, I've been going for a Batman vibe.

Anyway, I got a mission to find and kill a vampire.  I found him, exposed him, then sneaked, because he was fighting some peasant.  The peasant died, but not before breaking the vampire's hand, unfortunately, not the hand that held the knife.

So I un-sneaked, and boy was he fast.  I had hoped to fight out in the open, but he cornered me.  I immediately grabbed his knife, and despite his vampiric strength, my flawless technique allowed me to wrestle it away, and throw it at him ( that didn't do much ).  So we just started slugging at each other.  Two strong creatures, both with one crippled hand.  It was a pretty close match, but I was getting more bruises.

In the end, my wrestling skill allowed me to triumph in this brawl.  I auto-grabbed his tongue, took him down, then while he was prone, smashed his head open with my foot. 

It was a glorious battle.  I just wish my other hand worked. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:46:19 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:36 pm »

I am playing as a human adventurer Dasmir Suthrosenre Doflipi. A swordsman. I am currently trying to basically be the area's sheriff or vigilante, by attacking and killing bandits in the most inhuman and sadistic ways possible. Trying to show them that the town of Bathclear is under my protection and any bandits in the plain of bowls will suffer.
So far I've pinched every finger, their ears and their nose off a bandit as he bled to death.
Watched as a bandit drowned at my feet.
Crippled a man's arms and legs and then stripped him of all weapons, clothes, money and food and left him to die in the woods.
And finally I cut a man's arm off then beat him to death with it.
Unf.

Occam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: January 09, 2013, 08:54:09 am »

I may or may not have inadvertently caused a zombie apocalypse in my world.

It all started when as my vampire/necromancer dwarf I decided I had enough of looking around in the sewers and packed my things up and left. As it turns out, the territory I was walking through happend to belong to a goblin civilization that hated my guts. Several times throughout my journey I was ambushed by increasingly large bands of them. I defeated them all, of course, and used their corpses to swell the ranks of my undead army. By the time the ambushes progressed to the point where I was surrounded by squares containing five or more goblins per tile I decided that it might be a good time to retire.

Unfortunately, a river stood between me and the nearest human village. Now while my dwarf was at least an adequate swimmer, my undead compatriots had yet to master the finer parts of the doggy paddle. So while I was on the opposite bank in two seconds flat, my screen was flooded with messages of floundering zombies. Because I didn't become a vampiric necromancer through being a kind and benevolent gentledwarf, I abandoned them to their fates and retired in relative comfort.

Cut to my current adventurer, a human pikeman out to assassinate a certain kobold, and I come across a zombie. A zombie on its own is cause for alarm, but this one was also flashing in the same way important figures flash. I wrote down its name, dispatched it, and promised to look it up as soon as my adventurer retired or died. Fortunately, I encountered a werelizard and was soon mauled like a tomato in a slapchop.

Here comes the amazing part: that zombie I saw was one of the many zombies that was part of my dwarf's horde. Most puzzling of all is the fact this adventurer was on an entirely different continent than the one my dwarf was on. The only way to this continent is to either go through the ocean or to go all the way around and cross an isthmus that may or may not exist. It is either a harmless quirk or something truly catastrophic has happend and my horde of zombies is loose upon the world and wreaking havoc.

As usual, I will be off doing my own thing while I hope this whole crisis sorts itself out.

Edit: After a quick check of the historical maps, I found out two things. One, the two continents I mentioned are completely cut off from each other. Two, the kobolds are freaking everywhere on my most recent adventurer's continent. Everywhere I go there are camps filled with murderous kobolds. Not even small groups like your average bandits, but around 20 or so.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:11:37 am by Occam »

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: January 10, 2013, 09:26:42 am »

I've been playing one pocket world with a demon/deity law-giver with the intent of killing the imposter. After several unsuccessful attempts, I was building up my axeman, Quemer Axeman, to become the demon-slayer.

Then he lost his right hand and had the sensory nerve in his left hand severed.

So with little hope of doing much with him, I recruited a few warriors from a rival civilization and marched off to defeat Sitsu the deity, a.k.a. Nol the Squirrel Demon.

Expecting to not survive, as Quemer had only a few ranks of axeman and wrestler, I gathered up all of Sitsu's various books and started chucking them. My companions fought bravely, but were ultimately all killed. Fortunately, they had crippled Sitsu, who was now crawling around trying to claw at me. I ran around, chucking whatever I could find at him.

Running out of arrows and bolts, I grabbed the nearest object, which happened to be my fallen companion's corpse. It flew through the demon's skull, jammed his brain, and promptly killed him.

By the end of the fight, I went from "Not Thrower" to "Professional Thrower". Apparently specializing in corpses.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: January 10, 2013, 03:02:44 pm »

I've been playing one pocket world with a demon/deity law-giver with the intent of killing the imposter. After several unsuccessful attempts, I was building up my axeman, Quemer Axeman, to become the demon-slayer.

Then he lost his right hand and had the sensory nerve in his left hand severed.

So with little hope of doing much with him, I recruited a few warriors from a rival civilization and marched off to defeat Sitsu the deity, a.k.a. Nol the Squirrel Demon.

Expecting to not survive, as Quemer had only a few ranks of axeman and wrestler, I gathered up all of Sitsu's various books and started chucking them. My companions fought bravely, but were ultimately all killed. Fortunately, they had crippled Sitsu, who was now crawling around trying to claw at me. I ran around, chucking whatever I could find at him.

Running out of arrows and bolts, I grabbed the nearest object, which happened to be my fallen companion's corpse. It flew through the demon's skull, jammed his brain, and promptly killed him.

By the end of the fight, I went from "Not Thrower" to "Professional Thrower". Apparently specializing in corpses.
So basically the average successful game?
Unf.

Shoshomiga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: January 11, 2013, 08:59:02 am »

So my adventurer was hungry and I decided to kill a villager's chicken while no one was looking.

There were however some problems with that, first of all, all the cats and chickens that were near the area rushed to attack me, and I was too slow to run away, there were so many that while I was killing them I got boosted to legendary dodger and superhuman stats.

Apparently the villagers have telepathy because even though nobody saw my despicable acts they all knew that I killed their favorite cats and attacked me immediately. I ran to the next village but their telepathy extends over long range, the other villagers were hostile too.

I tried to run to the next civilization but I needed a place to sleep, so I went to the next village during the night and tried to sleep, couldn't, but I noticed everyone was sleeping, and interestingly enough you can kill people who are asleep without anyone waking up. I proceeded to kill the entire village in their sleep, racking up more than two hundred kills, but even though everyone was dead I still couldn't sleep there.

So I journeyed on and got killed by bogeymen in my sleep.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:05:46 am by Shoshomiga »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: January 11, 2013, 11:04:05 am »

Went to kill a necromancer in a bandit camp. Chopped off his arms, which he reanimated.
Then I cut off his leg so he couldn't run, and then he bled to death. Then I killed his hands.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

RageBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • This is the link to my stream. Don't click it :^).
« Reply #5008 on: January 11, 2013, 11:13:51 am »

Technically second post. But I'll treat it as first. Hi everyone.

So, after X amount of giving up on older adventures. This one man. Shines more than the others.

His dry hair is extremely long. He is tall and muscular. His slightly rounded blue eyes are close set. His somewhat tall., ears are extraordinarily broad. His nose is narrow. His lips are slightly thick. His eyebrows are quite long. His hair is copper. His skin is brown. (Damn, this thing makes huge grammar mistakes.)

BEHOLD.

ALIR RACONADA ZUMDOLTHORA. ALIR RAWTRUTHFUL THE RANDOM BOLTS THE LASHER.

TOGETHER WITH HIS PARTY: Bushik Abemeka, Maceman. Oko Oledsol, Spearman. Peklod Retisun, Sowrdsman. Ini Ngilshothomod, Pikeman. Idil Putibadu, Swordsman. Conu Mipbiotir, Elf Swordsman.

HE IS ON A ADVENTURE TO BECOME THE VERY BEST. LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS.

But soon he will most likely die out of starvation because I can't fucking find any animal to butcher and get tasty raw meat :(.

EDIT: Where I can find my adventurers name and title. Other way than talking to some random dude?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:19:34 am by RageBob »
Apparently as a streamer I must be a sell out. So I'm selling myself here; I do streams.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: January 13, 2013, 07:21:30 am »

Hmm, elven wooden spears are really, really shitty. And night trolls are kind of tough even with metal weapons. Fortunately, they can't get through expert shield user/proficient dodger backed up by high agility, and while the size bonus makes any effective wrestling moves impossible, a legendary wrestler can still make the troll waste turns by grabbing it repeatedly.

I managed to keep the troll occupied with grappling while the bowman shot some arrows into it, eventually allowing it to bleed out. The troll got one counterstrike in, which demolished my elf's left leg, and this is a pocket world with one (1) human hamlet. Currently working on a dwarf fortress to provide future adventurers with basic survival gear, like crutches(!!) and elf/dwarf-sized armour.

In other news, after a bout of retirement in the human village, my elf was no longer at peace with nature? Got accosted by alligators and wolves like nobody's business, which sort of sucks when you can't stand and are still only armed with the absurdly useless acacia spear and legendary+3 wrestling which allows absolutely no effective moves on alligators. Biting/shaking wolves to death felt pretty damn elfy, though.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1104