Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2093098 times)

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #4920 on: November 26, 2012, 01:01:32 pm »

I have generated a nice seed [DORF GOLD] no brackets on a 129x257 world, there is a central feature that looks like a skull in the mountainside. I have tried generating the world with slightly different parameters in order to populate the world with crabs, still working on that, though in the mean time I have been practicing a very slow beginning character with a very high potential. I just needs crabs to make the science work perfectly.

I have been generating a 2000+ year world with vampires, werewolves, and several hundred living titans, the population and settlement cap has been very low and little items have been produced, with warehouses empty and few business running. I have tried adjusting the year and changing population and settlement cap but it increases the world history to over a million entries. I am thinking of trying to remove werewolves to increase population caps and add a couple thousand more years to world gen, having one world with werewolves and an alternate one without but additional people and items in the future.

Prior to this I had just started with DF, and am still learning the game elements, taking a break to begin learn World Generation and Fortress Mode. Still got a few things to work on with defining parameters but so far I have found a unique looking world map, and elected to go with 1/800 rivers to allow crossing in fast travel a bit easier as it is between a medium and large in size. I tried embarking on several strikes of the earth in Dorf Mode as a possible way to obtain access to The Sword of !!Spoils!!. Now that I have been kindling instructed to search for goblin caves as means to subterranean I abandon my fortress, start a new world and return to Adventure Mode.

This is the current starting build I think gives be the most room for growth. Just need damn crabs.

Superior: Recovery, Disease Resistance
Above Average: Strength, Agility, Toughness, Endurance, Focus, Willpower, Memory, Spacial Sense, Kinesthetic Sense, Social Awareness.
Very Low: Dump Stats
Novice: Reader, Swordman
Adequate: Swimmer, Armour User
Master: Observer

All the attributes that are Above Average are capped at Superhuman, they are all except Focus and Memory easy to reach that level through grinding a single crab. Disease Resistance is needed not to contract incurable infection from the first injury, and Superior Recuperation allows regeneration in extended combat or sparring. Adequate Swimmer still drowns occasionally. Master Observer is a bit hard to quantify as its effectiveness, but I never reach 1,700 passively very often so it seems the one skill I cant develop. I would like to increase the bias towards Armour Use because with shoes and basic rags the starting Movement Speed is around 850, after the crab-wrestle it reaches the normal ~2200 that Superhuman attributes give.

I generally prefer the shield to the crossbow, so I can crab-wrestle strait away. Minding toes, fingers and ears to infection. The crossbow while it can take down anything with ease has nothing in the way of advantage for increasing Fighting as a shield does.

My first goal in the new world is to find a Creature Seed in Advanced World Generation Parameters to spawn crabs for easy grinding. I get to Fighting 20,000+ from fighting a solitary crab. Hermit crabs will not even get Fighting to 1,000 before they run away into the sand crushing themselves in the process and dying of blood loss. If I cant find crabs the next Creature Seed I am going back to hunting hippos with a crossbow for target practice.

Second goal get to a fortification, gather forces, collect armarment and amour and then find some goblins caves!

I have been looking at adjusting some of the RAWS of the creatures as I think I have come across a few strange things that should not be there such as female Platypus as being venomous.

Looking next to find out how mod creatures to have random weapons like Lead Arrow, Tin Shield, Gold Helmet, and training weapons such as wooden weapons and armour.

In the meantime I will strike towards the goblin's earth, and claim the sword from the stone,
:V Snake_Eyes

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: November 27, 2012, 01:08:02 pm »

My adventurer got literally flushed down into the caverns when exploring a flooded fortress. I wandered the  third caverns for a few hours (I never want to see a crundle or a molarian again  ::)) and finally found this:

Huzzah! Praise Armok!
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

FingO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: November 27, 2012, 02:56:20 pm »

After a hiatus - recently I played a lot of *bands (Hengband, Tome 2 etc) - I visited a Df world again as an adventurer. When I wandered around in the village I was surprised about the amount of blood and corpses lying everywhere. There was a prisoner in one room and a goblin drunk in another one, both being tortured by dwarfs. People from the same village were attacking each other like crazy.

So obviously I was like wtf. Then I remembered that I modded the dwarfs there a while ago - I dreamt of a new dwarvenkind but the experiment went wrong (I am a hell of a modder); their ethics are horrible, they life on the surface and mutilate and dismember friend and foe.

Folks, these are the moments when you know why this game is the definition of awesomeness.
"In Plaguemoments I slew a human over a week." - Em Kisstorments, administrator

"Can Kutsmob Pimplehate save the world?" was a legendary bone-bound book. The written portion consists of a 30 page essay entitled "Can Kutsmob Pimplehate save the world? authored by Kutsmob Pimplehate. It concerns the giving up on being a fishery worker of the goblin necromancer Kutsmob Pimplehate in Bristleseductions in 29. The writing has its moments of cleverness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: November 29, 2012, 08:54:56 am »

That is pretty epic. :D I'm imagining a scrawny, trembling goblin tied to a chair, a dented lantern swaying over his head providing dim light as dwarvern torturers clad in black leather hoods bustle about readying knives and pokers...

Anyway, in my adventure, my current, successful character; the vampire elf Riramo Glossspikes the Familial Workers, just had a close call. She had trekked across the Field of Eating and the Grizzly Swamp to discover a human civilization which hadn't yet decided they hated her.
She recruited a couple of peasants and set off to hunt down Mudo Tunneledabyss the lumbering freak.
I thought she was pretty tough, she hadn't fought too many big-bad sorts but she had fared very well so far against goblins and humans and the like.

We get there, head inside and the first of my companions is torn apart near-instantly by Mudo. I'm a bit worried by that, but I press on. Cue Riramo getting stabbed in the foot and falling down after a brief scuffle where she was unable to to much damage with her unarmed strikes.
I panic and she flees wildly, leaving Tamed the furnace operator to distract it as she escapes.
I fast-travel a tile south and check her injuries; she can still stand, thank goodness. So she starts to sneak back there for a rematch, to try and avenge her companions, and just as she's about to reach the lair she sees, to my surprise, Tamed; he's just standing there, still holding his weapons, without a scratch on him apart from a small scar on one hand.

He killed the thing. Somehow. This powerful night monster got taken down by the peasant I'd left for dead. Whoah.
So now he's joined back up with me. Honestly, Tamed is a bit weird... He wields two carving knives in one hand, and a silver battle axe in the other. Evidently he can use it, too, as the axe is credited with the kill.
Onwards! :D

Oh and earlier I had a fun, several-hours-long wrestling match with a notorious dingo man I was sent to kill, ending only when I threw him across his cave and he landed on his head and died. Aw.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yee

• Bay Watcher
  • Invasion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: November 29, 2012, 11:08:26 am »

By messing around with cat-wrestling I got hostile to every being in a hamlet. Fleeing from the scene after killing several cats, two cows and a goat, I got killed by a water buffalo. Following my death it seems that this water buffalo went rampage through that village killing a villager, four cats, numerous roaches and yes, my new embarked adventurer also. After running berserk and earning a title and name, he retreats to his own lair. After his rise to a villan, a kill-quest was issued. Hence he died a horrible way by the hands of my (better prepared) third adventurer and his party before that hideous creature was able to plot a plan for pocketworld domination.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:22:08 am by Yee »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: November 29, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »

My adventurer got literally flushed down into the caverns when exploring a flooded fortress. I wandered the  third caverns for a few hours (I never want to see a crundle or a molarian again  ::)) and finally found this:

Huzzah! Praise Armok!
Hopefully you can make it past the undead baddies and get that lightsaber! Also hopefully your adventurer is a swordsman.

Yee

• Bay Watcher
  • Invasion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: November 29, 2012, 05:26:01 pm »

The sheer mass of bodies let you train sword skill pretty quickly. The undead ant/serpent men during my first encounter weren't really a threat even when armed with a lousy iron battle axe. The main problem ironically was death through excessive blocking/dodging causing exhaustion.

Oh btw:

Apparently sharks are not that good at swimming (I swear, no dwarfen science involved).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:34:33 pm by Yee »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: November 29, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »

Sharks canno breathe air.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: November 30, 2012, 12:09:05 am »

Just died a horrible bolt-riddled death in a necromancer tower after my drinking of vampire blood apparently did absolutely nothing to make me an acceptable member of the undead.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4929 on: November 30, 2012, 11:13:18 am »

My Dwarves appeared in the middle of a group of camels. The fight was fierce and brutal, one Dwarf was injured and another killed. Bringing the Dwarf's weapon and shield, the body and the clothes as well as the killer's clothes all the way to the nearest Dwarven city for burial.
Life is terrifying when you're smaller than the world. I started out as a peasant, killed a were-creature, lost a lot of my teeth and broke my toes fleeing from bogeymen (escaped by rolling into a night creature lair), and made my fame reporting the deaths of warlords I had no part in killing. Now I've got 15 soldiers 13 soldiers, trekking across the desert (no fast travel!) to an abandoned Fort, after visiting a wonder of this world - the capital of the Axe of Covers, who's Fortress is entirely made out of native gold.

Finally crossed the Killer Steppes of Euphoria, the Fields of Snarling and the Lavender Frost. Passed a human city made out of horneblende - I fear the radiation has done terrible tings to them, for they worshiped a fire breathing evil spawn. Within their Fortress and surrounded by mad, larger denizens, we had no choice but to leave.
2 Dwarves went missing along the way. No bodies were found. We fear the Lavender Frost got them. 9 Dwarves still accompany me.

Weary from travail, we set up camp in the Remarkable Swamp.
One body was found, and given the isolation of the place, was cremated.
The other Dwarf went missing in the night, with no trace of where she went. We fear she was killed and devoured by an eagle.

Kobolds emerged from the swamp.
They attacked whilst we slept.
We may not survive.

We were outnumbered 5 to 1. So much was going on, ultimately it seemed we were dying. Dwarves killed before they even woke up.
Kobolds fled with broken bones and heavy wounds - the few Dwarves who could were taking their toll on them.
I ran around stealing Kobold weapons and hacking off their feet, making them vulnerable to my fellows. Silver spears, copper shortswords and battle axes flying across the air as Kobold bowmen returned fire.
It seemed we would be able to escape, when I was struck by two arrows - one in the right arm and one in the left leg. By some bountiful fortune they missed my arteries.
By the time I woke up from the pain, all but one Kobold had fled or died.
I could see no other Dwarves.
That one Kobold was a Bowbold. The first shot was blocked by my steel greaves, a gift from the Axe of Covers.
The second shot never came - a Hammerdwarf with a broken arm and no hammer proceeded to pummel the Kobold to death with naught but his one working arm.

Above, the state of my health, below, the state of the Hammerdwarf's health.
Peasant adventurers are Fun.

Dingoes. :|

I forgot I modded in Kobold cities.

I remembered why I modded in Kobold cities.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:37:48 am by Loud Whispers »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: December 02, 2012, 03:03:43 pm »

Found a kobold cave. Killed 129 innocent kobold men, women and children before I accidentally lit myself on fire. Why aren't campfires in the (x) menu instead of (g)?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: December 02, 2012, 03:11:36 pm »

Found a kobold cave. Killed 129 innocent kobold men, women and children before I accidentally lit myself on fire. Why aren't campfires in the (x) menu instead of (g)?
I killed approximately 150 kobolds in a cave once. Then, I got down into the caverns. There were hundreds of them. They all swarmed me, with dozens attacking me at a time. I cut many of them down, but I was inevitably knocked into an underground lake and drowned because all of the shore was blocked by kobolds.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: December 02, 2012, 03:19:00 pm »

I killed approximately 150 kobolds in a cave once. Then, I got down into the caverns. There were hundreds of them. They all swarmed me, with dozens attacking me at a time. I cut many of them down, but I was inevitably knocked into an underground lake and drowned because all of the shore was blocked by kobolds.

The most I fought at the same time was eight, on the surface mound. Surprisingly, four of them were soldiers. They seemed to be the only ones though, as I axed my way with glee all the way down to the first cavern layer. There, I accidentally set a campfire, trapping myself between it and a tree. I tried to set the tree on fire to escape, but I just burned to death instead. Interestingly, the legends screen reports me as being mortally wounded by the last kobold to attack me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: December 02, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »

When objects are stolen from a fortress, do they end up in a kobold cave or are they lost forever? I've got two full sets of adamantine armor that were stolen by kobolds that I might want to recover in adventurer mode.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: December 02, 2012, 03:44:58 pm »

I dunno about things stolen from a player fortress during play, but some of the trinkets they steal in world gen show up at their cave. You could go there and look around, certainly, but it may be difficult to find them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 1104