Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2095290 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #4125 on: May 13, 2012, 07:38:50 pm »

Retired the last adventurer; it was about time, since he was already getting engraved in temples hundreds of years old, and the werecurse screwed his speed badly. So it's back to tedious sneaking/swimming/throwing sharpened rocks. My first quest is a vampire with over 2000 kills, so that's just going to stay undone for awhile. I started way out in the desert steppes with no wildlife that even the Crocodile Hunter would mess with. There's stingrays, and we saw how well Steve got along with them. Fortunately I noticed that at least one home in every town has a pouch of plant foods in the corner, and no one objects if I take as many as I like. But...I'm bored of fisher berries already, the kind of boredom that gets green adventurers killed.

snoopychicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: May 13, 2012, 08:01:01 pm »

Have a swordswoman currently trying to clear a necro tower of zeds, came up with a little backstory after she got her ear ripped off in a battle with a bandit. In my head she's very vain and after getting her looks ruined has gone to raid the tower to find out how to get her beauty back. She's going to learn the secrets of life and death after which she will read some other works in the tower and "discover" the regeneration abilities that are a by-product of the werebeast curse...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: May 13, 2012, 08:30:06 pm »

Let the bodies hit the floor...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: May 13, 2012, 08:49:43 pm »

That's quite the massacre...

My adventure was going just fine; slaughtering weretortoises left and right with wild abandon. They were mostly kobolds by birth, the remainder being dorfs, so they weren't all that impressive. To my knowledge neither I nor my companions suffered any injuries from them. Then the unthinkable happened.

A goblin ambush! Of course I'd been fast travelling in the relative safety of the valley and had encountered nothing up to this point. My adventurer and most of the party, however, are stricken wtih a horrible lightning-curse that causes you to exit fast travel unconscious and wait the duration of the lightning's effects before waking up stunned, or just be killed in your sleep, after being assaulted by a battlemage bandit while in a keep. They can shoot lightning up through the floor, don't'ya know! So, most of the party started the fight unconsious, and one of our number was slain and another two badly injured before the fight was over and the goblins lay dead. Luckily, despite this close call I suffered no personal injury. I think it's time for Obok to retire either way. With this lightning curse, she's really rather doomed.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: May 13, 2012, 09:30:28 pm »

Found an ogre household with at least 7 prisoners in there.
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: May 14, 2012, 09:42:21 am »

I'd added to the wiki that triggering traps in Tombs will wake the mummy, even if you dodge, he'll home right in on you. I wasn't sure this was the case for catacombs. I went exploring under the temple of a strange city and failed to dodge a trap. I managed to dodge a second trap and fell unconscious on the tile right next to it. When I came to, a mummy was telling me "You feel horrible" -- imagine so, I'm passed out on a dusty floor, bleeding from chipped bones in both heels, the only thing that could be worse is for a decrepit smartass to tear me limb from limb. And so he did.

EDIT: I looked at the place again and saw the trapped room, aptly named 'The Crazy Room', was right next to his coffin. When I triggered traps in the catacombs under the adjoining Keep, that didn't wake him. So I guess it's all about the range; since most tomb traps are in a close range around the coffin, they're very likely to disturb a mummy, but unlikely to disturb the mummy in the next tomb.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:11:23 am by Uzu Bash »
« Reply #4131 on: May 14, 2012, 01:22:16 pm »

God damn kobolds...

geddoe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: May 14, 2012, 04:41:21 pm »

soo.. i am still pretty new DF and have been playing around on adventure mode mostly just short lived adventurers usually meeting a quick demise from boogeymen,ambushes or arrows always somehow  causing me to crawl away and suffocate from lung damage every time before i can really do anything.

so i am on a new adventurer an outsider human with most of my stats put in to observer and dodge and 1 point in to reading and swimmer. and i decided to try out hand to hand fighting skills this game as whip and archery dident work out so well on my previous adventurers.so i was planing to go get some practice for striker and wrestler on some weak animals  after getting a backpack/waterskin then start on some quest.. sadly after searching the nearby towns and fortresses for a while looking for a backpack in vain. all i manged to find was a sack of berries and a few bits of armor.i did manage recruited some companions a lasher, maceman and a 200 year old goblin mason prisoner that was chilling in a human village that asked for me to free him which i did by simply recruiting him...anyways figuring i was probably doomed with out a way to carry supplies, so i head off to try to get a bit of exploring done before i meet my inevitable demise.  so i head to something marked on my map called a dark fortress in some evil lands.

when i arrived there was nothing at the site so i wondered around there a bit looking for something to fight so i could face my death with some dignity before starting a new adventurer that would start with a backpack and i happened across this cloud like dust thing that was moving around called vile gloom so i decided to walk in to it to check it out and it kept spaming i was caught in a  cloud of vile gloom i could not really see my self under it but i noticed in one of the holes in the cloud there were zombies and when went to do aimed attacks  i saw they were right next to me and  i was confused and panicked so i attacked despite the alt y warning and missed then promptly got my spin and legs all smashed up by them and i bravely tried to crawling away from my enemies as they beat me to death..except after crawling for a while i did not die despite it flashing mortal wound and getting my brain smashed so i check my status just about everything that could break was broken/smashed and i noticed i had a vile gloom zombie added to part of my name and that the 3 zombies i had attacked were in fact my companions that turned zombie as well when we walked to to that vile gloom cloud thing.

after about 15 min of hopelessly fighting my former companions by scratching them as that was the only way i could attack at that point as i was to badly beaten to do much else. but i got board since we were all immortals so decide to ditch them by a river as i was to slow to out crawl them any other way. so after crossing the river and ditching them i fast travel away, to see what wounds would healed. i got use of my legs back but could only move and a speed of 800 now i had also lost all my teeth and my left hand but i still had my right hand i could use also i was now really high legendary levels in armor user,observer,fighter,wrestler,striker and dodge and had superhuman on several attributes which i got all that in a matter of like 15 min of getting beat down..so now i have them best adventurer stat wise i have ever gotten all by accident that seems immortal. immune to pain,losing consciousness,drowning,internal injuries,blood loss, brain damage,hunger,thirst,sleep and possibly fire. though i suspect freezing water. and decapitation might do me in. dismemberment of my limbs could be troublesome for me as well.

a huge irony in this was the fact that i actually wanted to kill my adventurer off for once for not having a backpack and the game somehow manages to pull its infamous "FUN" factor in and makes it so she cant die and is just way to good now to kill off even if she is a bit handicapped from getting kicked around for a while.

anyways after escape from my former companions by using a river and healing up i get attacked by  boogeymen and decide to test out my new skills my first attack i punch one in the face and kill it...they still dodge about 50%-75% of the time but when i hit they go down fast so after fighting them off i head off to town to continue my search for a backpack and a quest to further test out my new immortal adventurer. sadly the humans are all hostile and attack me on sight but my punch takes out all peasants and swordsmen alike in 1-2 hits to the face.

after raiding a few villages and forts on the map i make my way to a tower that had a bunch of zombies and necromancers they seemed pretty cool with me walking in and around the place though the necromancers did not want to talk so i went around reading their books and learned to summon zombies...so now i am like a  immortal zombie that can summon other zombies and now i attack villages,towns and forts with my hoard of zombies and my one arm, one punch kill attack looking for a backpack or better gear.i have yet to find any steel armor/weapons or backpacks so i might go see some elves and dwarf towns to check if they have anything nice or go see if i can find some lairs or camps or something.

but ya that is my current adventure right now i did a little search on google and the forums to see if i could find out more about the vile gloom thing but all i could find was one other guy that got turned in to gloom zombie from wrestling a zombie animal that would spread when he got close to other living things which seems a little different then what i have as i have not seen mine spread.is that vile gloom cloud part of the evil biome or the dark fortress? how common is it for a cloud to go around turning people in to immortal zombies and what is it or causes that cloud as it seems a tad bit OP?also i am using the lazy newb pack v0.34.07 and using texture pack but other then that i think its vanilla.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:45:04 pm by geddoe »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: May 14, 2012, 05:52:17 pm »

That sounds pretty cool. I read about the evil weather in fortress mode; it appears on occasion only in evil biomes. I haven't been to one yet since genning for this version, but now I think I'll browse Legends and find one to visit.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: May 14, 2012, 10:43:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You know, commas, and shit... Use them.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: May 15, 2012, 12:08:57 am »

I just found the most populous city ever. Every block is filled, there's probably less than 5% abandoned buildings in the whole place, crowded with hamlets from every direction. The metalworks still suck, but the leather is awesome, lots of masterwork of every kind. The lawgiver is a vampire who has never killed, even the people who confronted him, he defeated and let them get away. Now he's worshipper of the same god who cursed him, ruler of that god's civilization for ~500 years.

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: May 15, 2012, 12:10:57 am »

What title says: what's happening with your adventurer, besides mass-killing the wolves?

In my modded game, pretty much everyone fights with everyone, except one small island with an elven forest retreat there.

They have that bad luck that my adventurer knows to swim and seems to be heading toward their island. I hope so, as you can't 'T'ravel while swimming, so I don't have a friggin idea where am I know. And I'm swimming for an hour already.
my adventurer was born blind and i gave in to the night because i kept missing the boogeymen with my railgun with a knife at the end
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: May 15, 2012, 12:12:37 am »

I just found the most populous city ever. Every block is filled, there's probably less than 5% abandoned buildings in the whole place, crowded with hamlets from every direction. The metalworks still suck, but the leather is awesome, lots of masterwork of every kind. The lawgiver is a vampire who has never killed, even the people who confronted him, he defeated and let them get away. Now he's worshipper of the same god who cursed him, ruler of that god's civilization for ~500 years.
please show us the link to the map i would love to turn that vampire into a dieing slag
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

geddoe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: May 15, 2012, 01:29:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You know, commas, and shit... Use them.

who are you the grammar police? i take my time to share what i thought was an interesting story and your on my case about grammar, seriously?

sorry to burst your bubble mr grammar police but 100% prefect spelling and grammar may be useful but it is not necessary.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4139 on: May 15, 2012, 06:30:34 am »

Geddoe: It is easier to read something with proper grammar (particularly punctuation) and spelling, though. Yes, we can read messy writing if we try, but it takes more work and people on this particular forum are less likely to bother reading your posts if you don't make an effort to write them neatly. Of course everyone makes mistakes in their writing, but I have to agree that while your story may have been interesting, I wasn't able to read more than the first two paragraphs it because I had to concentrate too hard to read. If you don't care if no one reads what you post, that's up to you, but you'll probably be skipped over by a lot of people here if you write in this fashion because it's just too much effort to read.

On most web sites people don't care so much about these things, I know, but on this forum it's pretty standard that people make a real effort to write well, even if it takes an extra minute or two to do so. You're in a very small minority here if you actively resist good grammar and spelling. If you react with hostility to a request that you write better, you might find that most people here won't be so friendly to you, which would be a shame, because it's really a great community. No one is being "grammar police," just asking you to please try to write in a way which is easier for us to read.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1104