Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104797 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #9735 on: December 24, 2015, 04:00:44 pm »

This Axedwarf if my main hearthdude now. Not just because he's a durable and deadly scrapper, but he's got a hell of a voice. He's always been a good singer, when he wasn't trying to emulate an instrument he wasn't holding. But I dusted off a composition in the earliest form I practiced with, and suddenly he was singing beautifully and flawlessly! And I realized the form originated from his nation. I don't know if I'll catch up in it, though. The lyrical form for it is based on moral lessons about minerals; not a very universal theme. If I can get him to sing more often, he'll do great in any form.

EDIT: Having said this, he's now doomed to die in a near future encounter.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: December 24, 2015, 04:06:51 pm »

Can't he just bleed on people and melt them?

Is it normal for human tombs to be bunched together in a group of 8 or so? Because there's some really close to the necrotower I spent an entire day clearing out. Now I'm a necromancer with an entire army of I don't know how many zombies/skeletons following me and I've only raided 3 tombs. No mummy yet though, I know I'm immune/friendly with mummies as a necromancer, but I heard you can talk to them and I haven't found anything but corpses. Also apparently, if you reveal/spot/observe a trap, you're immune to it. Good to know, shame about some of my zombies though.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I just thought of something. when you [r]emove something, it goes into your hand no matter what. If I removed several shields, would their effects stack? Right now I'm holding two shield, a silver flail and a copper pick, but I don't know if the game is ignoring the impossibility of doing so, or just letting me hold those things with severe penalties to actually using them.
magmamen are like gingerbreadmen when they break apart they leave lil leaking and turn into crumbs when obliterated.
on the whole human tombs bit, yes also all those skeletons(outside of the mummy who is named) you find are literally there for filling the place. the game spawns them in as skeletons and aren't peasants who died and got stored there. trying to resurrect them will blow up the game, reanimating them on the other hand is A OK.
like man are these characters I play brittle glass cannons.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: December 24, 2015, 04:10:43 pm »

Clearly we need to mod in gingerbread men.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: December 24, 2015, 04:23:13 pm »

Literal glass people with cannons for heads?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: December 24, 2015, 04:24:22 pm »

Clearly we need to mod in gingerbread men.

They should immediately die on contact with water, not that everything else doesn't already.

Yeah I don't have the ability to resurrect anyone, but I've re-animated an army so that's cool. I'll keep it in mind to never 'resurrect' anything that doesn't have a name.
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: December 24, 2015, 04:30:11 pm »

They should immediately die on contact with water, not that everything else doesn't already.

Yeah I don't have the ability to resurrect anyone, but I've re-animated an army so that's cool. I'll keep it in mind to never 'resurrect' anything that doesn't have a name.

A start would be adding an inability to swim. o3o

And...resurrection thankfully is only usable if you mod in an interaction that uses it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: December 24, 2015, 05:14:53 pm »

So right now I'm lying on the ground, reciting poetry to about 50+ zombies/skeletons in the middle of the night. Apparently this doesn't count as 'taking it easy', so does anybody know a good way to 'take it easy' or 'spend time with family'? I don't even have a family.

'acquire object' apparently doesn't count better armor or more weapons, so that's annoying. 'Help somebody' is probably going to go critical because...well it's hard to help anyone that your zombies won't attack. Maybe If I find a night creature. 'eat good meal' what a laugh; and 'drink alcohol' is easy enough. I'll just go to a fortress or hillock.
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: December 24, 2015, 05:24:40 pm »

So I started a new adventurer with the only skills in swimmer (So I don't drown as I once did this and drowned instantly) and Reader (Obvious reasons) and unchanged stats, to make a "Nobody to godlike" entity. So I'm swimming and throwing rocks to become a good character, basically, I'm just running around doing stuff to become strong.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: December 24, 2015, 06:43:08 pm »

So right now I'm lying on the ground, reciting poetry to about 50+ zombies/skeletons in the middle of the night. Apparently this doesn't count as 'taking it easy', so does anybody know a good way to 'take it easy' or 'spend time with family'? I don't even have a family.
Then spend time with someone else's family. That's always less stressful, anyway.

'acquire object' apparently doesn't count better armor or more weapons, so that's annoying. 'Help somebody' is probably going to go critical because...well it's hard to help anyone that your zombies won't attack. Maybe If I find a night creature. 'eat good meal' what a laugh; and 'drink alcohol' is easy enough. I'll just go to a fortress or hillock.
"Acquire object" counts anything of any value, you just have to receive it from someone else. Taking it off the ground would be way too exploitable, don't you think? You have to trade for it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: December 24, 2015, 07:13:41 pm »

Was talking to the missus about how when I go modding lately I tend towards becoming a godlike brainpuncher who just wants to hang out and party... and break up robberies.

When Rumrusher does it, things tend more towards the crimes against nature end of the spectrum, but roughly the same amount of partying.

I'm very confused about the only multi-trait need I've encountered so far, "See Great Beast" is something that should have an obvious condition to satisfy. I've only seen one Roc so far though, because I haven't actually found it difficult to fulfill.

I roam around a little, I party a little, talk to god, all my needs are satisfied. Is god a great beast? Are people? What?

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: December 24, 2015, 07:19:38 pm »

"Acquire object" counts anything of any value, you just have to receive it from someone else. Taking it off the ground would be way too exploitable, don't you think? You have to trade for it.

Wouldn't calling it 'bartering' make more sense then? Oh well, not that hard.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: December 24, 2015, 07:53:51 pm »

hmm looks like the one way is to park 2 forts of the same civ next to each other, then dump the adventurer in one and unretire the other, and wait for the adventurer to wander in.
once you get that done, then comes the long wait of hoping the adventurer finds love. which having tested this to the point of almost driven insane and the solution was olon toolpalace the catdwarf.

... uhh I think the solution is to write an interaction that transforms the adventurer into a cat or any easily pet race, then capture said adventure in fort mode then tame them then stick them in the pen with the other animals.
due to fort mode ignoring the marriage/lovers bit with animals the adventurer will skip past all that and might get pregnant/get some other animal pregnant.

god so glad all that research didn't go to waste I mean yeah olon might not be the first I think the first was Dirit somethin but Olon was the first proven possible in 40d.
also I get PTSD remembering most of my hard work flush down the toilet, and regretting not saving it.
oh yeah this only works with female adventurers due to some weird nonsense with switching races wipes historical records of the dad well if you switch back to your original race that is.
so it's possible for the adventurer to just have ... pet kids. if you're okay with talking to a son or daughter who can't talk back. estimate time I did this was uhh 2 months maybe a year??
also you might lose said daughter to wolves but that's a given.

Was talking to the missus about how when I go modding lately I tend towards becoming a godlike brainpuncher who just wants to hang out and party... and break up robberies.

When Rumrusher does it, things tend more towards the crimes against nature end of the spectrum, but roughly the same amount of partying.

I'm very confused about the only multi-trait need I've encountered so far, "See Great Beast" is something that should have an obvious condition to satisfy. I've only seen one Roc so far though, because I haven't actually found it difficult to fulfill.

I roam around a little, I party a little, talk to god, all my needs are satisfied. Is god a great beast? Are people? What?
oh yeah.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: December 24, 2015, 08:06:57 pm »

"Only in Dwarf Fortress" -snip-

Hmm, I think I can handle one need going unmet, or two or three, I can easily get pretty much everything except the ones I mentioned to 'unfettered' in about 5 seconds. I wonder if I could barter with a zombie that's holding something, now that would be hilarious. Apparently reciting poetry to zombies is 'being extravagant' and creative and social, so that's good to know.

I also did some quick newbie arena testing and had several instance of a human male fighting another human male, the last test was human male zombies, with everyone using the same thing except the weapon:

Team #1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Team #2
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the team with the maces won every single time. 1v1, 3v3, 3v3 zombies. The team with the maces never suffered casualties and only minor injuries. I think the most I saw was some teeth missing and someone lost an ear.

So I'm going to start using that new *silver mace* I found now.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: December 24, 2015, 09:19:56 pm »

Yeah, maces have better stats than flails, and warhammers are generally better than maces, or most anything else besides battle axes and picks, oh and lightsabers tend to be pretty good at slipping right up the nose of your enemies to tickle their brains into mush.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: December 24, 2015, 09:55:06 pm »

HAH, I'm gonna bet lightsabers are adamantine blades.

I feel silly picking to be a maceman now, I thought maces were the bomb-diggity. Sounds like I should have gone with axe-man. Or find a pick.
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1104