Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2096901 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #8745 on: September 13, 2015, 04:21:41 pm »

So I traveled across the world, bashed an ettin in the lungs until it suffocated, beat on a roc and almost died when it mangled my leg and lung, found a dorf fort with anvils and candy, dug some out, extracted it, made some gear, bringing an anvil back to my home civ as the human who earned the trust and secrets of the dwarves right?

None of that compares to the random little event that happened on the way back home as I went past a lair I wasn't sure I had cleared yet (as it happens it was the ettin one) and when I drop out of travel mode I see a flurry of activity.

^
i
,^
'. c

A cheetah runs by swiping at the legs of an ibex.

Naturally I swung around and followed the chase, it kept clawing and swiping at the feet and legs until it finally tripped it, the ibex was jinking around trees and shit, and the ONLY thing that would have made it more realistic is if the cheetah had clamped onto the throat to suffocate the ibex instead of clawing at the head.

Still, that's just awesome to bump into, little touches like that never cease to blow me away.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: September 15, 2015, 01:39:27 pm »

Well, it seems gravity is no less forgiving to a super-tiny creatures. Like, for example, the (wingless) pixie I was using, who's currently little more than a smear on the lowest level of a Goblin Pit. An anticlimatic end to a legendary killer of beasts and clowns. Lesson learned, I guess.

Speaking of Goblin civ sites... yeah. I think I'll replace them with towns and hamlets instead. I just can't deal with the tedious layout.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: September 15, 2015, 02:02:00 pm »

Goblin sites really need some work, they're no fun to deal with.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: September 15, 2015, 02:05:30 pm »

Well, it seems gravity is no less forgiving to a super-tiny creatures. Like, for example, the (wingless) pixie I was using, who's currently little more than a smear on the lowest level of a Goblin Pit. An anticlimatic end to a legendary killer of beasts and clowns. Lesson learned, I guess.

Speaking of Goblin civ sites... yeah. I think I'll replace them with towns and hamlets instead. I just can't deal with the tedious layout.

I find it hilarious that I Dragonfell off a watchtower trying to dive-tackle a goblin up there, and survived being KOed by the impact (landed in the trench, for bonus points) for several hours. The victim got up and ran away from the landing almost immediately.

This was while playing as a fucking dragon, so the landing presumably should've broke my everything, flier or not.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: September 15, 2015, 02:06:55 pm »

*eats a surplus post* Fucking page derped on me while posting, must've attempted to re-send it too many times.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:17:49 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: September 15, 2015, 04:33:18 pm »

I can see why Max loves his launch script. I jumped off the roof of a goblin dark fortress onto a tower, scattering the goblins. I can definitely put it up there with some of the most entertaining things I've ever done in adventure mode.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: September 15, 2015, 04:55:12 pm »

If you aren't being an OP marloss man, you're being an OP giver of the gift of flight, I see. X3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: September 15, 2015, 06:30:08 pm »

I can see why Max loves his launch script. I jumped off the roof of a goblin dark fortress onto a tower, scattering the goblins. I can definitely put it up there with some of the most entertaining things I've ever done in adventure mode.
Mine and Rumrushers based on propel by Roses*

But yes, it is so much absurd fun.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:32:00 pm by Max™ »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: September 15, 2015, 08:54:23 pm »

Yeah, but you're the one famous for using it.

Man, I remember when you were a noob. Now you've surpassed me in numerous areas. You learned quickly.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: September 15, 2015, 09:40:39 pm »

I was a supernoob with forts dying from lack of booze because I didn't know how to brew it.

I'm oddly proud of that.

I did do a lot to get the script converted over, then Rummypops added the "fling someone else" and things went downhill rapidly, before exploding against an obstacle.

Go try to climb a mountain with launch. Keep a hand free to grab the wall, and make sure most of your velocity is aimed upwards rather than horizontally.

I like to climb up to a lip where I could move up to and release my hold, then put the cursor there and aim it up another 6 or 7 squares, tends to hop me up several stories without missing or blowing up.

Can get scary at the top of a sharp peak though.

I overshot this one and started watching it expand as I began heading downwards...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:44:10 pm by Max™ »

WisdomThumbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Drawing Meaning
    • View Profile
    • Wisdom-Thumbs on DeviantArt
« Reply #8755 on: September 16, 2015, 01:42:38 am »

That sounds so badass I don't even know how to picture it.  :o
"She'd lost her hand, her youth, and her husband. Her entire body was a maze of scars, and without her crutch she could only drag herself over the rocks. But Dema Beandeaths wasn't done just yet. She still had a long way to go, and that six-limbed armadillo devil godking wasn't about to kill itself."
- -- -
I draw things

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: September 16, 2015, 03:54:04 am »

I don't have one just like that but here's one of the demo gifs I made back when I was perfecting it. This is before I got where you could land on your feet (had to ask Toady which flag let you do that, otherwise you'd slam into the ground face first if you didn't grab a wall) but it still worked out neat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: September 16, 2015, 04:33:31 am »

Yeah, but you're the one famous for using it.

Man, I remember when you were a noob. Now you've surpassed me in numerous areas. You learned quickly.
to be fair max famous for it by foot, I'm hopefully famous for it by minecarts the good old ollie mechanic.
so far my current work is figuring out how to sleep or wait for more than 24 hours.
for those who want to wait out years in adventure mode... and not in loading up adventure mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: September 16, 2015, 04:49:50 am »

Yup, I was trying to figure out how to do the ollie without the cart and ended up with launch. Vertical jumping sounded too fun, and are.

Incidentally I still can't figure out why it won't let you wait arbitrary periods, there's a timer somewhere we're missing.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: September 16, 2015, 02:04:10 pm »

Rumrusher, I mostly remember you for your DFhackery and your experiments in cross-species babies.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 1104