Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100651 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #8475 on: June 13, 2015, 10:01:19 pm »

I used photobucket for a while but they started giving me crap about traffic, adspam, and whatnot so I jumped ship to imgur. Didn't you grab the pic with a screenshot tool? Not sure what's native on windows these days.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: June 13, 2015, 11:19:44 pm »

I just used [alt]-[Prnt Scrn]. Takes a screen shot of the topmost window.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: June 14, 2015, 03:51:46 am »

You could use lightshot, it's pretty fast. You install it, and when you press prnt scrn you just pick the area you want to save and press the save button.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: June 14, 2015, 09:03:54 am »

Yeah, that's what I do with ksnapshot (the KDE default) to snip out the stuff of interest.

My adventurers lately have mostly been unwilling test subjects for my coding stuff but thanks to the rather schizophrenic dorfs with frequently changing names sitting on piles of legendary weapons and armor, I have triumphed! I was finally able to create right or left artifact gauntlets which show up properly in legends mode as being created by my dorf and I can rename said artifacts or her with access to the full dictionaries by pulling up the same screen you use when naming your adventurer!

Now to see if I can tackle the whole inserting them into world-gen idea from over in modding.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:08:07 am by Max™ »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: June 14, 2015, 09:30:26 am »

Wait, adding artifacts into stuff other civs/sites make? Historical real legendary artifacts? I am misunderstanding you, surely?
One wheel short of a wagon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: June 14, 2015, 09:35:13 am »

No no, I have the basic idea of how to do this now.

As it is I've got the stuff in so I tell it to grab the unit I'm looking at (or the adventurer unit as a default) and it fills out the stuff to make the item then inserts a new historical event for said artifact creation:

So, if I ran a script during world-gen and had it say, check every 5~10 years for a site with say, a megabeast/20+dorfs/slabs, then I could have it choose a suitable unit and have them be the creator of an artifact which will have an appropriate historical event entry and can thus be stolen/looted/found by us after world-gen.

So yes, I am working out the ideas for this currently, and it'll hopefully tide us over til Toady brings out the real ones, and it should be interesting to see what new stuff I can do after the artifact update.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:37:37 am by Max™ »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: June 14, 2015, 09:49:44 am »

Awesome! Then again, it *might* make artifacts less special... still, I'd love to be able to create a world where pretty much every civ was entirely full of artifacts...
One wheel short of a wagon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: June 14, 2015, 09:54:05 am »

Well, I'd put the option in the script to run a lot or a little, probably just have it be arguments like:
artinsert -years 5 -freq 2 -dorfs -megas

So it would drop two in every five years and try to place them at dorf and megabeast sites, naturally you could do -years 1 -freq 10 -all or something and it'll just scatter em everywhere.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: June 16, 2015, 12:38:27 am »

I claimed ladyship of the hamlet of Conflictroar. The village is halfway abandoned, the locals said "there's nothing organized here." Perfect anarchist state, I suppose. They seem to like me well enough anyway. Told them I'd killed a giant. Hired a few as hearthspeople. Then went for an extended swim in the river, returned to pick up my companions, a couple elves, and set out to find the fabled goblin capitol. First we visited the elven capitol. My people were at war with the elves. Nobody attacked me, despite the game refusing to let me travel.

They must have thousands of animals there, though. Lions, tigers, cheetahs...

Anyway, anther few days in the wilderness with only one dingo ambush got us into goblin territory. Where we promptly ran into a platoon of hardened warriors and a human recruit. Both my companions died, but the goblins routed when I had killed four of them, then a few more to help the message sink in. Got an awesome title too: Tikbo Plotbarb the Rapid Frost of Myth. I did eventually find the capitol, but the lag generated by 50,000 goblins wouldn't let me actually pass into the site. Slaughtered a few more goblin-raised elf recruits on my way out, including this guy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Poor bastard.

A couple alligator ambushes returned me home, and now I'm off to slaughter every megabeast in the world and become a werebeast to cure a couple potentially fatal infections.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: June 16, 2015, 12:43:28 am »

That is why I did the goblin pop control stuff, I can deal with them not having trolls if it means I can visit dark fortresses lag free.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: June 16, 2015, 01:05:42 am »

That is why I did the goblin pop control stuff, I can deal with them not having trolls if it means I can visit dark fortresses lag free.
I once visited a dark fort to find them all asleep, so no lag.
However, apparently Gobs don't need to sleep.
Any reason for this?
thincake

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: June 16, 2015, 01:15:49 am »

In vanilla they still need to sleep, just not eat or drink.

Reducing goblin pops is going to be a priority next world gen. Right now, I don't think I can do much about the forest of towers and trenches. I've set out to stop an army from a different goblin civ conquering a dwarven hillocks, though. Should be Fun.

Edit:

Well, I was late for the party in the hillocks. Four such sites were conquered by the goblin army before I arrived. When I slaughtered everyone in the tents and told the dwarves about it I was branded a murderer. They wouldnt acknowledge the occupation was over until I did so, then they decided they didn't like that. Nobody was willing to join me in fighting off the goblins, either. It was, overall, a waste of time.

The game crashed anyway. So whatever.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:11:33 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: June 17, 2015, 08:57:49 pm »

I think I had something pretty close to a "successful game".

My character was a mighty knight, who, wielding his Mighty *Bronze Longsword* of Justice, killed four notable things.

They were, in order, a night troll, a towering cobra beast with a poisonous sting, some unsuspecting local guy bandit, and a dragon, which had upward of fifty kills and was the first monster listed in Legends mode.

He then retired to a life of luxury after telling a small-time lord of his exploits and gaining tribute from him, subsequently ruling a land from a hamlet.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:31:47 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: June 17, 2015, 11:56:08 pm »

I had a hammer in one hand, a spear in the other. Break the hands, stab the head. Break the legs, stab the head. Stab the hand, break the head. My adventurer slaughtered his way through dozens of bandits and savage wildlife, and even fell into the caverns by accident. After killing a jabberer, a few draltha, and a pair of blind cave ogres, plus a few crundles, I encountered my equal: a cave dragon.

I could feel the beast's every movement... Smell it's breath as it moved through the air. The tip of it's tail twitched. That leg muscle tensed a little. In response, my hammer arm tensed in unison, the same minuscule movement, registered by both combatants. I was slowly backing towards the wall behind me, crushing the odd blue moss under foot. Once my back finally reached the wall, I placed my spear against the wall. A single rock was dislodged from the wall, tumbling down beside my iron boot. The beast took a pair of steps forward, ever cautious of my hammer arm. While the battle of flesh had yet to begin, we were already years into a war of wills. The moment the dragon heard the rock tumble, it charged. I reached quickly into my bag, past the jabberer skull, draltha tooth, and blind cave ogre hand, bumping into several pieces of stolen food, before I found the treasure I longed for: a steel carving knife. I threw the glistening, infinitely sharp blade at the dragon, spinning end over end, reflecting light around. The dragon, anticipating this move, dodged, the blade falling uselessly where the beast resided moments ago. As I grabbed my spear, the dragon charged: claws extended, it cut into my head, the whole construct falling into a pile of gore. And so, I was vanquished.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: June 18, 2015, 12:58:37 am »

I'm fairly sure Garden Cress Leaves are the ultimate weapon. I killed a demon with one once, and they're so plentiful and light (and edible!) that having an inventory full of them is never harmful.
I say this because I finally got a vault slab, using a character who wielded a two shields and just threw garden cress leaves and shield bashed his way through.
He died to a roc later. Sad.
thincake
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1104