Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100095 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #8145 on: April 20, 2015, 02:07:14 pm »

I still need to find this advfort thing.

Also, adding the ability to harvest wood as a growth was a Fun experience in logic. I made it a generic tool as a pseudo "branch" due to the assumption that you'd be pulling branches off the tree, and made the crafting reactions use these faked branches. This causes some hilarity though, like my addition of a reaction to split logs, in the event the player somehow gets ahold of one (likely from slaying a treent, also part of the mod). Split logs into branches? o3o

But yeah, just give plants a growth that yields the plant, and there you go. Only issue is no matter how low you set the growth density, it will be effectively infinite. Setting the growth's season to when you would logically be able to pick them helps counter this.

Code example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: April 20, 2015, 02:07:43 pm »

It may be because I'm playing an outsider, ...

Nope, gather plants doesn't work yet.
Not just for outsiders.
Unfortunately.
It's hard to get my clothing manufacture running just by finding fibers (and I don't want to use dfhack to spawn it - this would be too cheesy).

Code example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks interesting.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:11:11 pm by SaD-82 »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: April 20, 2015, 02:45:18 pm »

The rain in the evil forest wasn't any different than elsewhere. If there was an evil cloud rolling around, I didn't come across it. It was rather boring for awhile, as savage as the land is all I could find is echidna and kiwis, until I came across a flock of giant sparrow corpses. Starting from Competent Hammer, I wasn't making any progress, and though letting them bundle together made them charge into each other, they were tiring me out with multiple attacks. I kept dodging back until I realized they were backing me into another flock of giant sparrows. Fortunately I started making effective strikes before I got drowsy, but finding a safe place to sleep took a lot of running.

I still need to find this advfort thing.
If you have dfhack, advfort is included. The command is "gui/advfort", or hotkey it if you use it regularly.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: April 20, 2015, 03:03:02 pm »

You can pick capers and stuff. Does this count as frui gathering? Just use [g]et, the rest is easy, and food supply is almost infinite.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: April 20, 2015, 03:09:06 pm »

You can pick capers and stuff. Does this count as fruit gathering? Just use [g]et, the rest is easy, and food supply is almost infinite.
Only in certain biomes/only in the fall.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: April 20, 2015, 03:11:13 pm »

Most of the year you can only get leaves, so you're stuck with the edible ones; lettuce, spinach, amaranths, etc. Artichoke leaves aren't edible or cookable, so you have to wait for the hearts. I didn't see fruit until early summer, then garlic and asparagus mid-summer.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: April 20, 2015, 03:16:11 pm »

Add that to the list reasons why I should try DFHack. >.o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: April 20, 2015, 03:25:40 pm »

I really need to try my hand at tossing folks into traps to see if they trigger on their own.
impale a guy with an uppercut.
or combining this with 0-speed.
hmm maybe I should download that DB mod?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: April 20, 2015, 03:32:10 pm »

At an evil marsh, only encountered harpies so far, or I should say they Encountered me. They didn't escalate, they just chatted idly about how they attacked me, like any other beastfolk. I went to see what an evil beach looked like and struck lignite -- let the !!fun!! begin. High tide almost submerged my mining operation until I moved it all into a tunnel I could seal up with shale. The most portable form I can craft this into is wearables -- I don't think it's wise to wear something like this when I expect to be hit with fire, but that never stopped the dwarves. I can get 3 1U mugs from one lignite. I do a lot of traveling, so I'll need a lot of travel mugs. Just hold it over the campfire for a second and it'll keep your coffee warm for hours. I didn't need eyelashes anyway.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8154 on: April 20, 2015, 03:58:07 pm »

Started as a naga swordsman, recruited a dwarf spearwoman and a human female lasher in my starting hamlet. Went around killing bandits for a while (which got my dwarf buddy killed, though I quickly replaced her for a naga axewoman), until I caught wind of a vampire in another hamlet. Went there only to find out he had moved to another hamlet. Go there...only to find out he had moved to yet ANOTHER village. Finally find him there in a mead hall, accuse him of being a vampire, to absolutely noone's reaction.
He just stood there spitting on me and saying he hates me, whereas everyone else in the mead hall just stood there. When asked about the vampire, they all said they didn't know him.
Regardless, I attacked him, and during the fight I licked off the blood on my sword, which shortly turned me into a vampire myself. In the end though I didn't even get the kill credit because my lasher companion finished him off.
Later on, during the night my character got thirsty, so I asked my companions to stay in some off-road place in a village while I went looking around for some victims, preferably one that was home alone.
Eventually I found a naga woman. I choked her from behind and proceeded to essentially reenact the infamous feeding scene from Hellsing Ultimate. I jammed a pike into her chest, tore her throat open by biting and scratching it, and fed on her until she suffocated.
Then I returned to my companions, and for some reason, an anaconda crawled up to the naga while I was gone - she was repeatedly grabbing, regrabbing and punching the poor thing until I couldn't look at it anymore and exploded it's skull with my fist.
Last thing I did before retiring this adventurer was geld a lord with a two-hander, and take over his crappy little hovel.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: April 20, 2015, 04:06:32 pm »

Not so much of adventures, but of a world that will host one or more, I had made a world filled with hundreds of megabeasts and such, and every few years 57 rocs will attack the only surviving bit of civilization, the goblins. they had done so 479 times and yet the goblins still number over ten thousand. Thus begins my adventure, and soon to be death. c:
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: April 20, 2015, 04:40:03 pm »

I was on a hunt for a zombie polar bear who slaughtered some years ago nearly a dozen people from a hamlet way across the continent.
Travelled with Dolil Swayedcinder, a female human pikeman, who aided me, two months ago, in defeating a reptile vampire spear master in an isolated coastal town. This creature had stalked the night and made this city its playground. Without Dolil I surely had never succeeded.
Impressed by her skills in handling her weapon I let her join me.
Some company in the forests and swamps ahead would be a nice diversion to the lonely hours, only filled by howling wolves and singing birds.
Days passed and we were slowly approaching the lair of my prey while we were getting closer to each other.
She told me of her family of which only her brother was alive.
I felt privileged in hearing her story and I gave her balm as she spoke of the cruel death of her father. I slowly understood why she was traveling the world, seeking glory or death. I assured her, I would help her in finding the one or other.

On a rainy day we reached the foothills of a low mountainrange which was dressed in heavy grey clouds.
And in the distance, nearly hidden behind rain, we could see a massive hill. The roaring we could hear despite the dropping water told us that we had entered the realm of our prey.
Passing a small haunted woodland (undisturbed), crossing a scenic brook (rabbits were chasing away from us) and the destination was in sight:
A rocky hill, overgrown with large trees and bushes full of berries and covered in thick gras, weighed down due to the ongoing rain .
And in front of it the decaying corpse of a huge polar bear, engraved with the remains of its former battles.
Screaming fearsomely Dolil drew her pike and charged at the bear while I was moving around, intending to swing at it from behind.
I thought that I would have time to do this but the fierce onslaught of the zombie smashed Dolil's left leg. Bravely she stabbed at its bloated body, her pike was stranded in the rotting flesh of its ribcage while I was sprinting - hoping I would reach my companion to grant her some relief.
Just as I arrived, the polar bear bit her in her head and crushed her skull like a toy, destroyed by an angry kid.
I swung at it but, somehow, this huge mass happened to dodge my attack.
And the enormous claws teared my lower body.
I had no chance. Not alone. Not anymore.
I turned and ran.

After a long and exhausting race I managed to escape - I have to give thanks to a horse which distracted my frightening predator.
Lonely again, I began my long way back, knowing that the wilderness would bring some nasty surprises.
But I had to search for companions.
I had to look for a possibility to gain revenge.
I had to find a way to bring Dolil back to her home.
I wouldn't let her rot in the vicinity of such an embarrassment to nature.
And I would present the skull of this abomination to Dolil's brother.
Maybe he would forgive me.
Maybe I could forgive myself.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: April 20, 2015, 05:00:00 pm »

Damn, son, story time.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: April 20, 2015, 05:01:48 pm »

-snip-
That was a great read. Bravo, sir.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:13:49 pm by Raul »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: April 20, 2015, 05:10:42 pm »

So currently in my Jacket playthrough I chuck loads of guards into other guards, and giving biker a chest filled with loot 257 dwarfpounds of loot, so far the only unique kills was when I toss: a maceman in pitchdarkness and found out he survived from slamming into a child, from an open door toss a guard into a gobbo killing both, watching a pikeman run past me only to be toss into a wall. Trees starting to look like target practice, and everybody's darts.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 1104