Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100093 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7965 on: April 01, 2015, 02:47:58 pm »

The next vault: chaos, war and wealth. Seemed too easy at first. Wealth's puppets were like flies, buzzing around a lot, but easy to swat. Torgal's Messengers didn't speak, so they couldn't contribute battle commentary, and didn't have names, so didn't count as notable. They were all weapon masters though, and after one managed to knick my foot I decided those weapons were too dangerous to be permitted and confiscated them. I was there to collect them all anyway; I didn't necessarily need to wait until they were done with them. Their corpses were only 109 Urists, yet their clothes were too large for me to wear?! Tch, such bullshit... I really could've used new capes and socks.

As easy as they were, I was starting to dread the Ruination, and I was right. It definitely had the mass for charging, and the wings to divebomb. A towering bat with large mandibles, had 4 legs, wings, and a stinger that I presumed was venomous, but it never used it, so I may have wasted my time targeting it first. It backed me into an open space off a 12 zlvl drop. I managed to get most of the way down the stair, it knocked me off the last 3 zlvls, which is actually pretty dangerous with a slade floor. I hit it with a thrown spear, which didn't do much except ground it. I had set aside the whip for a sword, and as soon as I had an opening I hacked it's head off. The body weighed 10960 Urists, the head and neck weighed 1659. Just picking up the head reduced my sprint rate to 0.099.

Mastering that whip was kind of pointless; it's only good for mortal enemies, of which I have faced few and dealt with barehanded anyway. Even the candy scourge and lash was pretty worthless against these guys. The only training benefit was from supplementing it with strikes, kicks, bites and misc obj, which will be useful no matter what I'm wielding. It's not so much a martial arts form as a street fighting style.

After hacking through the rest and flipping their levers, I came to a 7-floor dropoff to another roomful of ramps leading down to a ramp that lead nowhere but back up. I tried climbing the shaft I came down to its top point, 29 zlvls up, but there weren't any passages there, either. df reveal shows no passage immediately beneath that lowest ramp, but 3 lvls below that are more rooms and passages leading to -- a slab! So that's what one looks like. I deconstructed block walls and built a stairway down from the slade, because that's the only passage I could see connecting the points that should've been open. I continued on to read the slab properly.

Unfortunately the demon I learned the name of isn't on my itinerary for awhile. Couldn't I have a more conveniently located demon? Am I asking too much? All I got out of this dive was elaborate names for weapons I already had.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: April 01, 2015, 04:12:25 pm »

Sadly, you can't have more than one site in your own grip without the possibility to loose your ground while traveling or being retired.
The game itself found a stylish solution to break this rule - and this solution is called: Family.

After encountering the lord of a hamlet and questioning him about his family while stealing his loincloth a name he mentioned sounded too familiar.
I browsed my inventory and looked at my trousers which depicted an image of the current lady of his civ. She was his wife.
I questioned him furthermore while robbing him of his own trousers and he talked about a lot of names which were splattered across the countryside.
Out of curiosity I retired and opened Legends where I searched for his whole family.
I kinda wish I could marry into them.
All in all his family possesses 9 hamlets, 2 towns and the whole civ whereas only two hamlets are left. One is ruled by a lord with no family - "Dude, I would look out for "accidents" and cups filled with fuming wine!" - and the other is inhabited by a gang of marauding outlaws (maybe the unwanted offspring of one lord and his willing maid?).
I have a pressing urge to kill one of his family - thereafter making a round trip across the civ-sites wearing a head in my hand.
Happy family reunion.

Tilogour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: April 01, 2015, 05:42:18 pm »

I'm talking with Bleak monster right now.
She's hates me but she's telling me interesting things about her family.
It's sad I can't turn into a monster and join them in hunting humans.

Few days later in human hamlet 2 monsters was fighting against themselves and one of them killed me after that.
I guess they don't like to be watched.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: April 02, 2015, 07:25:14 am »

Brush titan - made of coral, spits poison. One hit to the body killed it. My approach was a bit sloppy, so it did manage to spit at me and miss, but I could have prevented even that.

I thought I was entering a sleepy town due to the lack of lairs. But it's been abandoned by everyone except for 10+ different criminal organizations, some of them vampires. Most of them don't show on my fast travel map, and because there are no citizens, no one can give me directions to them. There's also no leader, so I could just grab this land for myself. But that will have to wait.

First, I'm taking advantage of the warm weather to swim across the bay back to the town I supposedly rule. I'll check things out, clean house if necessary, pay tribute to the new lawgiver, then take a 14-day retirement. That should make me a civ member, and I'll find out if I keep my lordship by retiring there. Whether I do or not, I'm coming back this way on a full tour of the northwest, and I can collect two abandoned towns in this area.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: April 02, 2015, 11:34:13 am »

I tried to see if I could edit the current owner to be the same in multiple sites I claimed, never got it to work but it seems like it might be possible.

Also had a new message pop up, Unib has been mayor forever, he hasn't met me since I was born yet, so it was neat seeing that there is a message for this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Been encouraging Mom and Dad to take a more proactive role in battles lately, Mom is pretty bloodthirsty but it usually takes something like a trance to get the best out of Dad:

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: April 02, 2015, 01:28:09 pm »

Why do you keep displaying text truncated on the right? I'm less inclined to fill in the blanks for you than I am to demand that you type that the fuck out instead. What's being said, there?

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: April 02, 2015, 01:45:42 pm »

Why do you keep displaying text truncated on the right? I'm less inclined to fill in the blanks for you than I am to demand that you type that the fuck out instead. What's being said, there?

The sentence which is the important one is: "It is good to finally meet you."

I tried to see if I could edit the current owner to be the same in multiple sites I claimed, never got it to work but it seems like it might be possible.

That would be really nice.
A kingdom of my own - the dream of my youth.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: April 02, 2015, 02:11:22 pm »

The sentence which is the important one is: "It is good to finally meet you."
I know what it says, that's not the point. The point is that he could format it in a way that isn't an eyesore in the first place. I can't even understand wtf he does to get text lopped off like that. I can't play the game like that, and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone else to.

Max, could you show the whole line? I mean, I don't know what the fuck you're doing that makes that shit seem natural to you, but it doesn't scan naturally to most people with two eyes.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: April 02, 2015, 02:23:33 pm »

I guess it's just a resolution- and image-size issue.
Cutting it off reduces the size while it's still readable - especially if the important part is on the left.
If he would not cut it off but still make it readable by using a good size, the image-size would be a lot bigger. This can lead to issues if you use an image-store which caps the size. Or it would lead to bigger uploads which can be an issue with the internet connection and/or said image-store.

Partially I agree with you.
It would be a greater pleasure for the eyes.
But if I get the information which shall be displayed than it's fine for me too.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7974 on: April 02, 2015, 02:27:58 pm »

I would be in agreement with you, except that a) let's keep things chill here. There's no need to start swearing at people, and b) there's only about one pixel missing from that picture anyway, which could cause confusion with only one word, which is both already mentioned and irrelevant.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: April 02, 2015, 03:21:18 pm »

I grab screenshots with a selection tool and didn't even notice his name being cut off, my bad dawg.

I generally try to cut off anything that won't be relevant and sometimes I get lazy when the box pops up and is already the size I wanted more or less so I just tap enter and name it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:30:46 pm by Max™ »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: April 02, 2015, 04:32:46 pm »

I grab screenshots with a selection tool and didn't even notice his name being cut off, my bad dawg.

I generally try to cut off anything that won't be relevant and sometimes I get lazy when the box pops up and is already the size I wanted more or less so I just tap enter and name it.
ty. I hate the be the irrational motherrfucker here, but who doesn't think that about me already? You have soothed my psychotic mind, and I appreciate it. Please carry on with your narrative contributions.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: April 03, 2015, 05:21:40 pm »

Made an elven peasant (swordman) whose civ is located in an evil biome.
Wanted to know how long he could possibly survive.
Well, he met a zombie kestrel...
The beginning of this (really, really epic) fight was promising. Some of his blows propelled the kestrel away but he couldn't break any bones nor was he able to cut off some limbs. And the kestrel always came back, eager to pick some fresh meat.
After ten minutes I slowly became worried.
None of my strikes could hit this little bugger anymore.
And slowly he bruised all of my body, especially my precious organs.
Ten minutes later I collapsed to the ground due to exhaustion.
Bravely my heroic elf stood (or better said: "laid") his last ground. Miss after miss after miss. It was an inspiring picture: One rotten bird was hacking away the flesh of a nature-loving, hundred year old fellow of a race which is famous for being agile and fleet-footed.
Luckily he passed out and so I could read all this lovely red text wherein the kestrel tried to shake his head around. Sadly, he didn't managed to rip his head off before this brave, brave elf bled to death.
Poor kestrel.

So, someone said that zombies are op?
Nah...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:25:58 pm by SaD-82 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: April 03, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »

I had a fight with a dragon almost end me right off the bat (naturally the first lair outside the spot I started from has a dragon, cool I think...) close call when my spine got bruised, as well as my eyelid, arm, and side I think.

Finally got it down and made good use of the corpse, then I decided to head northwest as I remember there being a cluster of four dark fortresses up there during world gen. I found a Roc nest... and no Roc... but I remember being pointed this way for two of them, so I check the lair to the southeast of the Roc, figured maybe they were dating... well, I was kinda right, I get there and find a below-ground lair with a Roc beside it, facing the other way. I behead her and turn the heart into a balm, carve a crown from the bones, and head down to see what is going on below:

That's another Roc standing on the corpse of a Hydra, and none of the blood around there is his, so he killed it without taking a scratch apparently, shortly before I walked up. This is after I took his head off (what's with Rocs standing and facing the wrong way?), his blood, his mate's, and the hydra's:

Also encountered an insurrection, but I'm gonna post those in the armies thread as they seem more fitting there.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: April 03, 2015, 09:26:44 pm »

I reached the shore well ahead of schedule; the oceans still freeze at night. I swam in it briefly before noticing the sun in the western horizon, didn't know how long it had been there, and about 20 ticks after I got out, it froze.

The elves have conquered a lot of territory here, but they don't seem terribly keen on keeping it. Perhaps I should relieve them of the burden. I have plenty of time to put down flags, and plenty of time to reconsider my plan to swim the bay. If I can create my own civ, then I won't bother going back to Roarssabre.
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 1104