Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100191 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7920 on: March 27, 2015, 10:17:02 am »

Well that's not terrifying at all... gigantic bronze ninjas stomping silently around with their stealth weremammoth pals.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: March 27, 2015, 11:32:07 am »

So I was playing adventure mode on a pocket world. As a human Wrassler, I spawned in a village being oppressed by a goblin Bandit leader, Anu Badhearted (Badguy name and a half, ey? Or maybe Arrhythmia or somesuch). So I went to a bandit who was standing in front of a door, yet not entering. Maybe he was knocking. So, I grab his throat and punch it in. He falls over and could no longer breathe. Then his buddies kill me. I make another guy, and ended up in the same town. The same group was here, and the leader wasstill alive. For two weeks.

A bandit. Lived with a destroyed trachea. Why?
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: March 27, 2015, 01:42:46 pm »

Maybe he is some kind of cross-breed and using gills?
Or some friendly bandit pal gave him a slit to the throat and stuck a straw into him?
Who know's...
If you're lucky enough someday you will meet someone who has lost his throat some months ago due to a random foe and who will suffocate right in front of you when you'll meet him for the first time. Let's hope he isn't the only source of directions in your world (I write of it by experience).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: March 27, 2015, 04:49:56 pm »

Months ago?

I found someone who had lived for a year and become mayor with no head, to die when I arrived.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: March 27, 2015, 05:14:40 pm »

And there's the proof:
To become politician you need no brain...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: March 27, 2015, 09:01:21 pm »

In another populated ruin, and a much greater warzone than the last. After hunting down over a dozen asterisks, they stopped appearing, but the hostiles didn't. Any time I stopped at an inhabited spot, there would be one or more attacks added to my event list. There are more criminal groups than I can count, most with 4-6 members but a few with 18-25, so every time I killed a chieftain or master or overlord or commander or captain or leader, another would appear. And the great majority of these were vampires, which took me too long to figure out.

Eventually I went to the keep and saw what I expected; the vampire aristocracy, lounging around with their mortal jackals, with the lawgiver squatting in the center. No one is in charge, yet they're all in their seat of power doing nada fuck while their city is in shambles. There were twice as many as the last town, and all of them visibly muscular.

So I did the one thing I intended to with this detour: announce my defeat of the colossus, along with all the other mega and semimega. And after basking in the praise for awhile, I started working from the outside, calling out and challenging vampires, kiting them by what I hoped were small groups to the outer walls. I had to do a lot of foot-stabbing to prevent their charges and keep small groups manageable. Even with Legendary+3 skill, my copper dagger wasn't penetrating their rope reed and alpaca wool armor very well, so when the groups swelled a little bigger than I could duel, I took out the steel axe and put it through any exposed necks and skulls, which were easy to find since they were all on the ground already.

Quick kills defeats my skill-training purpose, so I prefer not to have to do that. Cleaning this place up is going to be a pretty arduous process, but by the time I'm done, I should have all my miscellaneous combat skills to Master at least.

EDIT: Could the criminal organizations be the reason a city becomes a ruin without any outside influence? Perhaps when criminals reach a certain ratio of the site population, civic order fails. It's still very odd that all of these cities collapsed for UNKNOWN reasons in the same year.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:03:20 pm by Uzu Bash »

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: March 28, 2015, 12:37:13 pm »

Or maybe there are bandits because these town collapsed.
In my current world all human sites (not only towns but hamlets too) are infested by bandits. There isn't one single local peasant or townsman left.
At the start of my adventure there was an insurrection going on in which all four bandit gangs at the site were involved. My gang survived with two persons left (one of them was me) - all other people were slain and littered the ground (47 in total).
And this was just one small hamlet.

It's kind of odd visiting dwarf sites and hearing the rumour of bad, bad bandit gangs which have to be destroyed and nodding to this while trying to hide the fact that I'm a human. And the only humans left in the worlds are bandits. "So guess who I am, Zomuth Boltbeard, you smart sheriff. Dwarfs aren't famous for their brains, aren't they?"

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: March 28, 2015, 04:15:24 pm »

Cleared the court and claimed it. Well, except for the kids, now orphans.  Children, you are now wards of this court; make yourself at home, for supper we'll be having prepared dark horror heart roast. Hung around for the soldiers, guards and mercenaries to trickle in and recruited them as they arrived. When I thought there were enough, I went out to sweep the town for any crime bosses that may still be at large. In the courtyard, a lady was arriving to take up her position. I let her pass, then thought better of it and followed her into the keep.

As soon as I entered I was informed that I had taken control of the town, and the lady was demoted to Herbalist. So I recruited her and made sure to make hearthfolk out of everyone else in the room. Around the town, more and more asterisks made their way to the keep, and I went back to receive them. All of them were lords and ladies who lost their titles as soon as they walked through the door, except for the law-giver and general, who didn't seem to have a problem with me keeping possession of their capital city. I don't even have a civ!

Anyway, after gathering as many hearthpeople as I possibly could, I hit the road. I won't be back, so I'll only find out from Legends the date that I stop ruling the city.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: March 28, 2015, 04:30:41 pm »

"So guess who I am, Zomuth Boltbeard, you smart sheriff. Dwarfs aren't famous for their brains, aren't they?"
Oh you mean the beard-ial shock absorber? Mine is very thick and can withstand several blows from a war hammer, I'll have you know!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: March 29, 2015, 07:35:46 am »

I think I have a mascot. I stopped in a cave overnight. I knew it was a bandit camp, but I didn't expect them to be hostile or goblin. They were the kind of fight I would've welcomed when I was beginning, and I only finished half of them before I got bored. There was this little gremlin shouting in panic and reporting on everything the whole time. When I turned to leave, he was still standing there spazzing out. I asked him who he was. He was a peasant with no name, but longed his whole life for adventure. Well, you just got some. Come along if you want more.

So I let him a masterwork tower-cap spear, thinking that if he killed someone with it, he would have a name. But I don't think he'll ever try, all he does is stand around talking about the fights going on without ever equipping the spear. Sometime between battles, I gave him the highlights of my travels, and now he'll randomly spout trivia from my past, along with whatever raven or badger encountered me and fled, but mostly small talk. He likes talking to everyone, so maybe he'll spread my deeds without sifting through the spammy summaries. I doubt he'll earn a name, so I nicknamed him Razlo.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: March 29, 2015, 10:18:46 am »

What's going on in my adventure?

I DON'T KNOW!

Oh, ok, so last time I was here I got jumped by zombie goblins, I got bored and left them only to see their asterisks spinning like they were sparring, fine, I'll go see who they are fighting...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ah, yes, zombie elves, and dorfs, naturally... wait... is that.. a Sasquatch?

Hmmm, it ran away, I guess they'll be chasing after me... or kicking the crap out of the regular goblins?
Ok that's odd, I wonder where that Sasquatch is... oh, there he is... oh crap, sorry man, looks like the zombelves are pissed at you... my bad.

Well, I guess I'll wander over here and ditch the elves... wait, how did you get away, I'm sure they were grappling you while you were unconscious! *flashback*

Yep! So could you be... another sasquatch?
Oh dear, that doesn't look good for this one... but he'll make it easier to lose the elves since he just died... wait... holy crap, is that another sasquatch?

Ok seriously... what... the freaking... hell? Wanna know how I know it is three different Sasquatches (sasquatchi?) and not just them chasing one around?

So, that's my weird quota for the day... dispose of the elves, and... there's another asterisk on the map... I swear to Armok if this is another bunch of zombelves chasing a sasquatch I'm gonna flip...

...I'm sorry I said anything.

Ok fine, let's see if those gobs are doing anything interesting if I bump into them while they aren't uh... moseying right along?

...so... I'm gonna kill all of you guys now, ok?

*murdertime groundhog day ensues*

At some point I noticed some of the gobs had wandered into a nearby hillock and got an opportunity to do something I always wanted to do...

DYNAMIC ENTRY!

At this point things kinda degenerated once I realized I was Bill Murraying it up...

At one point a bunch of zombie goblins and a few regular goblins spawned with zombelves just north of them so they ignored me and went to fight the zombelves, one of the regular goblins decided to come surrender to me, perhaps in hope of a mercy killing, I just ignored him and kept eating what I hope was popcorn, but in retrospect was probably a bucket full of teeth I found lying around everywhere.

When I finally went to sleep it was after being jumped by this:

I still don't know what the hell happened.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: March 29, 2015, 12:09:26 pm »

Here we have a constant stream of migrant traffic, day and night, that couldn't possibly be sustained.

The cluster to the SE of town has an average of 2 lairs per tile, roughly equal vampires and werecreatures with a few kobold bandits. All of those vampires were roving within a tight area, and all of them very brazenly aggressive. Nothing to stop them from chewing up enough migrants that the place would become too fucking notorious for migrants to cross here!

If that's not enough, their path to the NW is dotted with dark horror lairs, each with their own independent hunting radii overlapping each other. They rove all night long, and if they do stop at their lair at night, it's so briefly that they don't even notice the adventurer sleeping there. And yet there's nothing in their cauldrons and querns except hedgehog and mosquito remains. At least the kobolds have the loot to show for their positioning, but the horrors and vampires don't seem to interact with the migrants in any way.

EDIT: Oh and that's a colossus shrine at the NW end. I can't even count how many of these people are voluntarily crossing the territory of a megabeast, and none have been accosted in centuries.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:11:23 pm by Uzu Bash »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: March 29, 2015, 02:31:29 pm »

As i noticed i never ever tried to walk up to a mountain peak, i decided to give a try to check if there was something to see up there.

After a long uneventful and very boring time of holding a direction key (as you can't fast travel in mountains), i finally reached the summit. While there was nothing to see out of ugly mudstone everywhere, and those same few running away yaks and peregrine falcons i met already by dozen during my walk up that were already running away from me, i got a message .

Then i wondered if it was actually worth anything, unlike the dozen of "you discover a river" you get when walking around, i checked the legends after retiring the character.

Very nice to see this being actually noted in legends.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: March 29, 2015, 03:18:31 pm »

Went into the sewers/dungeons of the second of the only major towns in the place, killed the non-hostile leader and his men I found down there due to rumours of a "Icy Mark" (cool name) gang of crims lurking there, then went up, saw a church, told the "Resplendent Treasure" there about my deeds, and he started spitting at me. Talk about a rubbish confessor. Meant to be firm but sympathetic, but
"That's terrible! Can ????? really be dead?"

So not only was he in league with dodgy sewer folk, but he also spat at me! A lot! So I had to slap him around a bit, which lead to one of my companions and a nearby farmer throwing a load of punches at each other. Quite funny, really.

He later said to me, when I reminded him of how I killed his friend (I don't deal with grief in other people well in dwarf fortress), that despite the fact that I was a great hero, it was a terrible act of murder! Nice stuff, Toady and Tarn!

Wonder if the police will find me when I investigate the floors beneath the temple...
One wheel short of a wagon

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: March 29, 2015, 07:33:39 pm »

Played as a dwarven outsider (Age of Goblin, full history and, despite picking an adventurer from a dwarven civilization, started at a camp while only getting the chance to give into starvation at any given site - this world really is a mess) and while searching for any named beasts (there aren't any) stumpled across the landscape. Chatted with some dwarves at hillocks who just told me of a new dwarven queen who nobody really knows (and nobody could tell me where to find her) and decided to visit some fortresses in the faint hope of finding her (despite the fact that none site has any local rulers - they happily state that they are totally unorganized).
After leaving these anarcho-beards I reached the fortresses.
Inhabited by goblins who (I'm not surprised) have no local ruler and are eager to greet me with their weapons.
Some lost heads later I decided to roam freely the countryside for some wildlife to butcher.
And there I found a little cave.
Could it be possible that some beasts had yet survived?
Went into the cave...
And found the new dwarven queen.
I let her rule her big empire of rock and moss, dropped some food (as I assume that she won't hunt for herself and servants were nowhere to be seen) and gave into starvation.
If a world ends this way because of the rulership of a female dwarf then I'm happy there aren't any in real life.
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 1104