Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100254 times)

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7890 on: March 24, 2015, 04:05:26 pm »

I found another dark fortress, and this one is under a troll invasion. About 40 Trolls from my count, they've killed quite a few goblins and are closing in on the lord. The Trolls seem indifferent to me but the goblins are hostile. I've got a few options here.
A) Help the trolls kill all the goblins.
B) Kill the trolls and save the goblins.
C) Watch how it all plays out.
D) Kill everything.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: March 24, 2015, 04:10:25 pm »

Some tough choices.
I guess you can't loose on this one because it involves either killing goblins or trolls or both.
Win-win...

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: March 24, 2015, 04:25:06 pm »

Yeah I guess I'm just gonna let the trolls have their fun but if they steal my kill on the lord they're all going down.  >:(
Well I killed the lord and a few goblins and trolls, I was thinking of exterminating the trolls with my pickaxe to raise my miner skill but I checked underground and there's another 30 or so trolls down there so I'm just gonna leave this place to the trolls. Maybe I'll come back later and check up on it but for now I'm outta here.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:07:16 pm by SirAero8 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: March 24, 2015, 05:17:00 pm »

It's just a bug, trolls will either be passive or randomly flip out and start murdering goblins while ignoring you. I just removed the [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] from goblin entity because it cuts down lag and they just aren't interesting enough to care about them showing up until they get unbugged.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: March 24, 2015, 05:25:46 pm »

Does this not prevent them from using other nice animals too?
In Adventure Mode maybe not so interesting but I remember a fortress game in which the majority of goblin invasions rode on ferocious little buggers ("beak dogs" if I remember correctly). These creatures stomped through my military as it was papier-mâché and in the end these constant attacks by them (the goblins didn't posed too much of a threat by themselves) destroyed my fortress.
Pleasant to watch.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: March 24, 2015, 05:34:12 pm »

Probably, but I've never seen them do more than bring some troll during a siege and I much prefer my 100~500 population dark fortresses with occasional 1k+ examples, it'll take a lot for me to add trolls back to them, not least of which being them not spawning in the thousands (the upper pop cap for animals in most sites is like 100000001 with a minimum of 100, so yeah, screw that) and definitely will require them interacting properly instead of being passive or randomly butchering goblins while being passive to me.

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: March 24, 2015, 05:50:25 pm »

It's just a bug, trolls will either be passive or randomly flip out and start murdering goblins while ignoring you. I just removed the [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] from goblin entity because it cuts down lag and they just aren't interesting enough to care about them showing up until they get unbugged.
So if I leave for a while and come back will the trolls be passive to the goblins or will they still want to kill them?

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: March 24, 2015, 05:55:14 pm »

I'm no modder by all means but I know from Wanderer's Friend that Deon capped the creation of animal men. He gave some restrictions by using percentages.
Could this be a possiblity to reduce the amount of existing trolls without disabling them completely? And working on the tamed-function so that they don't crush on their masters?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: March 24, 2015, 06:08:27 pm »

I think he added a cap with the animal men but trolls count as animals and have a different cap. You can add them in as a race which is part of the goblin civ I think, similarly you can use some of the tricks Rummy the Rushing Rusherator of Ruminants uses to directly tweak populations, I did that in some worlds I had generated already which had too many gobs and trolls, changing a fortress from having 8000 gobs and 10000 trolls to 80 gobs and 100 trolls is pretty effective and changes little of the experience in adventurer mode beyond not having the game run at 2 fps.

It could change fortress mode of course but you could just tweak the values of nearby sites. This is why I tried to find a way to tweak world gens so they don't overrun everywhere. It has produce some interesting results since sometimes they come out with more reasonable populations, sometimes the good/evil values got wonky and necromancers took over everywhere and I was able to get a world in which for some reason I could still start a fort, but after tracking down the last survivors with the recently crowned Queen, including her own subjects, I was able to get this:

Code: [Select]
Civilized World Population

1 Dwarf

Total: 1

She's a Killer Queen
Gunpowder, guillotine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: March 24, 2015, 06:56:29 pm »

A magma man ambushed me by a river. Magma men are annoyingly durable. He has no hands and all his parts are in red but I can't get a killing blow on him.  >:(
Edit: Kicked his head off. Today was a good day.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:01:10 pm by SirAero8 »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: March 24, 2015, 09:04:36 pm »

Broken morale is grinding on my nerves. I ditched my guide, who wasn't too good at combat anyway but whose presence with me was terrifying enough to send vampires running. But little packs of elven recruits are running around all over, chasing down vampires they'll never be able to catch up to, and who would smoke them in an instant if they actually did. Just their presence is enough to make vampires flee, plus they screw with my radar and tracking to see them buzzing through buildings toward or away from where I think a vampire should be. And if that's not enough, they even freak each other out, so when I show up they scatter in all directions until I follow one long enough to get away from the others.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: March 24, 2015, 11:50:25 pm »

Add discipline to the various races, it helps quite a bit, they will still flee but you gotta hack a few up before they realize it is hopeless, often you actually have to like behead multiple and will still have a few chasing you down.

I was experimenting with taking some of the settings I like for larger worlds and trying to cram them into smaller ones... periodically I get ones like the killer queen one where there are 10 to 15 dorfs/humans/gobs/elves left alive, sometimes I get interesting runaways where one race starts to take over the map for a while, and sometimes I get the craziest shit I've ever seen. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to approach this world, as I was going to set up a fort to crank out some gear and while checking the area around the reclaim options I find this:

Copy of the world if anyone is interested, has a tweaked Wanderer's mod in place from the world gen and the goblin pops aren't stupid high/no trolls.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: March 25, 2015, 12:34:28 pm »

Took a shortcut over the mountains to a safe fortress before continuing to a ruin. The entire time my guide warned me there was an army marching there. That happened months ago. A Human Empire had sent one Elf against them, and the Elf Administrator that had taken over the site killed him. But more bizarrely the same Empire 3 years ago sent an invasion force of 253. They were all slain by one Elf, that same Elf Administrator. They thought if 253 humans couldn't do it, a single Elf would?

Elves in these parts have some serious muscle, as they've been warring with their neighbors for over a millenia. But I still find this particular Elvish civ's victories a bit fishy. I don't know what they have going on, but they should not have been able to win all the battles they did. It would make a bit more sense if all their grizzly bears were involved, but they don't appear in any battle reports.

EDIT: Even better; when I asked the guide about local rulership, one of the options I got to ask was whether she wished to be rescued. She said 'I'm with you on this!'. She's from the same civ that occupies this site.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:41:12 pm by Uzu Bash »

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: March 25, 2015, 04:09:02 pm »

Bogeymen are the worst, I have the strength to kill one easily but they just keep coming and I can't focus on one when there's three coming towards me. I'm like 5 feet from a hamlet but I have no idea where it is. You never realize how long a night can be until you spend it running from a bunch of bogeys in a circle around a hamlet.
Edit: THEY GOT A LUCKY SHOT AND TORE MY SPINE I HAVE NO WEAPONS AND I CAN'T WALK. BOGEYMEN HAVEN'T ATTACKED ME ANY OF THE LAST NIGHTS I SPENT ALONE WHY NOW.
Another edit: DEAD SAVESCUMMING BECAUSE I'M TOO MAD TO CARE.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:16:22 pm by SirAero8 »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: March 25, 2015, 06:03:43 pm »

Have dragon's gone stupid? I found one facing the wall, as someone earlier in this thread described, and tried to sneak up on it. Before I could get behind it, my companion, as per usual, fired one arrow and fled. It didn't even turn. I introduced myself to it and it didn't react. I hacked its tail once with my dagger and it passed out from the pain.

Anti-climactic. I've gotten more fight from naked hermits. It's just as well that they're pushovers now that the rewards for killing them are similarly unsatisfying. Here's a dwarven ruin, and not only is the dragon's trove shamefully poor, the so is the rest of the loot. This was the same civ that brought my fort plenty of iron, and at least enough steel to equip a unit after 3 years of melting down every scrap I could get. All I see now is copper and silver, pig tail and rat leather. No decent quality on any of it, not even dimple dye. I can't even claim an empty title that will just get shitcanned by hardcoded railroading if I live to retire. And on top of that all, there's not even a pick to vandalize the fuck out of the place.
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1104