Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2094816 times)

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7590 on: February 03, 2015, 04:20:51 pm »

I'm currently on a hammerdwarf. I spawned in an underground city that is harder to navigate through than a labyrinth. I started to get mad and frustrated IRL, so I've gone on a killing spree. With a goblin army marching to take over the city,  I'm mounting the defenses on my own whilst smashing heads open with my mighty war hammer.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: February 03, 2015, 04:45:21 pm »

From my playing around with it, you can jump if the grapple has been targeted but has not yet landed, and also if you're grappling their equipment whether or not the grapple has landed. If you sprint at someone, start a grapple, then jump while still at full speed, they can't dodge out of the way and will most likely go flying.
Yup, if you don't target another grapple in midair you can't guarantee you'll maintain the hold until impact.

Edit: I had a dream last night involving a kobold stealing a candy spear and then making a daring escape from hell, no shit, was a crazy ass dream. So I added [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] and removed [UTTERANCES] and made a kobold outsider (Urist Demonstolen) and dfhacked her copper spear into a masterwork candy one, she's been running around stabbing stuff for a while now. Turned into a vampire when I crossed a river to see the message:

1: Goblin Vampire Elite Crossbowman: I must withdraw!

...there was a giant dingo chasing them around, so I jabbed them in the arm and drank some blood, been improving my wrestling skills and such to the point that as a kobold I can pchew-pchew humans if I have enough of a run-up.

Punting goblins off of their towers is still just as hilarious as ever:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:07:52 pm by Max™ »

Azereiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: February 03, 2015, 05:36:24 pm »

(Heyo all, first post on the forums [I think] - might as well make it a good one)

Sarvesh Lirukrigoth - "Sarvesh Violencecrafts" - Ten taps of the random name button to get that :P

A Dwarf of The Cloisters of Harmonizing.

Sarvesh Violencecrafts is an aptly named Dwarf. He is a Swordsman by trade, and a Guard of Ochreshield.
All his life, he has spent his free time learning how to more effectively dismember things (though, his sword is a little blunt for that)

One morning, on a whim, he left the Fortress guard to patrol the immediate area, as he had heard news of a war with Goblins. Within under an hour of leaving the fortress, he found his very first victim - a troll, presumably either a deserter or a scout for the Goblin army.

The troll lunged at him. Sarvesh immediately dove out of the way and delivered a blow, severing its foot and dropping it to the ground, then spent the next ten minutes hacking off its various limbs until it finally bled to death. The cruelty was not unnecessary, however - he had simply been making it easier to butcher the beast for its not-so-valuable organs (which he then promptly traded for some armor).

There were goblins and goblin warbeasts all over the countryside, and they needed to be slaughtered - and a bronze sword simply couldn't make the cut. He needed more money, more valuables with which to purchase more equipment.

The next day, he went on another hunt and came across a pair of Rutherers. They were considerably tougher, though for some reason, they did not attempt to swarm him as he expected. Instead, he was granted two slow one on one fights. The Rutherers each had the same problem - they couldn't hit him. He had the problem that they ran away entirely too often, and that his sword was too dull to make quick work of them. As such, he realized he was wasting his time trying to behead them, and simply started hacking at everything he could. It was fantastic, if a little bloody. One went down, and he went after the other moments later, then butchered the two of them and carried his haul of meat to the next fortress for better equipment than Ochreshield had.

(to be continued; I'm expecting a horrible death at the hands of a goblin siege, since I'm expecting one very, very shortly)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: February 04, 2015, 09:05:50 am »

Right on my civ's copper coin, which I could've looked at any time: the ascension of a vampire human to the position of law-giver. So there are vampires who manage to pass in this world. It's just the sewer dwellers who are on the loose and hunting, which makes cities hell on early adventuring, but it's nice not to have a reason to go into sewers ever again. Ever.

I did most of my climbing training on the keep's outer walls, which has 8 z-levels of drop. This got very slow in the middle skills, when it was still too risky to macro it down. The best drop I'd found was from a pomegranate tree in the wild, with 11 levels of drop right along the trunk. Then I got to my first dwarven fortress. 158 z-level shaft with 156 grabbable ledges.

I found the fortress conveniently empty except for the loot. Some of it had purchase symbols, but I don't see any cashier around. Hell, I can just claim the whole damn place -- bill me for that! There's only a forgotten beast in residence, and he hasn't come forward to dispute my claim. I can't even find the bastard, so until he makes his statement, my claim go unassailed. Let's see who will pay me tribute now: ("I will not bow down to you!" "Well, I have a fortress. Do you have a fortress? I thought not, so kiss my ass!")

Bosse323

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: February 04, 2015, 11:07:49 pm »

On one of my early adventures I was beheaded by my undead adventure. Which in turn was resurrected by a necromancer.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: February 05, 2015, 01:59:17 am »

The anatomy of a different night troll:
The usual: I disabled it by striking the neck and bruising spinal tissue.
The unusual: I decided I'd try to target the mouth, not realizing if no teeth are shown in the menu, no teeth can be knocked out. I was trying to reduce the night troll to push attacks. I also tried targeting the left true ribs to see if I could get the rib to crash through the heart causing the rupture of a major artery. There was no luck with the rib shot as only one hit the left true rib with all others being general upper body hits. Eventually the cumulative shots to the mouth pulped the head.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: February 05, 2015, 04:23:06 am »

Walking toward a necro tower and on my way I see the armored menace knowledge of great tortoise being delicious made me attack the shelled cretins.
I cut ones shell right off and stabbed my sword in another and left it there.
I hate koopa troopers.
How dare sombody create a tortoise militia. Im glad the dangerous bastards are nearly extinct.
On a questioning thought upon grabbing necro books. Can I give them to my fort and make a necro fort or are civs illiterate barbarians?

Oh another idea, create an elite squad of adventurers join them up together, make them all necros and dump 'em in a fort to become civs, would that be crazy. Wrong area to post this I guess.
Lets try.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: February 05, 2015, 06:56:24 am »

Started as a peasant in an elven civilization only 1 tile on the global map. It turned out to be a tiny camp pinched between human and goblin civilizations. Only one other elf was there, the only name in my People list, and he ran away as soon as he saw me. I went to the human keep nearby to introduce myself to people who never gave a fuck about me and loot their armory. I had never seen a Dark Fortress, so I went to explore that, crutching most the way and staying close to the river as my only water source.

Turned out the river was down a 23 z-level gorge from the fortress entrance, and I couldn't get up the walls. While trying to swim around it, my fps dropped below a crawl. I looked up the fort population and saw [1]5100 trolls![/i]

I couldn't swim more than 1 frame per 5 seconds, so I just gave in to starvation. I'm going to try fortress mode for awhile.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: February 05, 2015, 09:44:41 am »

Yeah, some of the fortresses get ridiculous on troll populations, which is hilarious since they currently bug out and kill the goblins at the drop of a hat.

Now, I've never had a world with as many night trolls as I do right now... how many you say?

Well, this is fairly normal for the lairs in this part of the map:

So what does that imply, you ask? How many lairs am I talking about?

...welllllll:
I've got many more winged man/groom/bride/blahblahblah kills since that ss was taken actually, all the lairs I've visited are either night creatures or 1 in 10 have a dingo or sasquatch living there (which I usually encountered nearby on the travel map) so yeah... that's a hell of a thing.

Moved up to a bandit camp and found a bunch of brainwashed dorfs who wouldn't back down, so after killing them I caught the goblin leader and removed his limbs, teeth, ears, nose, and kept pinching at his guts trying to geld him while telling him to yield before he finally suffocated. Then I made a pyre for the dorfs, hauled all their corpses over there and burned the loot as well:
Next up, visiting the tower, I was going to use the delimbed goblin corpse to piss off the demon if this was the right one, but it was just a goblin lord so I beat him to death with said corpse and headed back towards civilization.

On the way I bumped into a couple asterisks, but this one was actually impressive:
Well, it was impressive before I charged in, disarmed three, bashed three more with those weapons, tackled two, and killed another that ended up standing on top of me due to my jump landing in a pile of gobs.
DO NOT RUN...
DO NOT RUN OR I WILL SMASH YOU!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: February 06, 2015, 04:46:39 am »

I've been playing a bit on my old ... 31.25 or something character for a bit. He's become so invincible that it's functionally impossible for him to die, so I've been resorting to tossing random kobold wrestlers I encounter into pools and punching them in the lungs while I watch them drown. It's kinda fun.
I might go back to that mining shaft I dug down to HFS at one point and go fight some more demons, but that's gotten boring by now. Yes this guy is so ridiculous that fighting clowns isn't challenging. I might as well start playing this new version. I'm looking forward to facing actual challenge again.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: February 06, 2015, 04:36:44 pm »

I have visited one hillocks with dwarf adventurer and am having great times with conversations with architect (A) and baroness (B) I have found there.

I: What can you tell me about troll Clinchdays?
A: The human Ontha Truftedpasttime is well-travelled and would probably have that information.
I: What can you tell me about the human Ontha Truftedpasttime?
A: I don't know Ontha Truftedpasttime.

I: How are you feeling right now?
B: I'm doing well.
I: Tell me about your family.
B: I have no family to speak of.
I: How are you feeling right now?
B: How great it is to be surrounded by family!

[Tell me about the local ruler chat option]
I: Where are their forces? Are they patrols or guards?
B: You sound like a troublemaker.

I: Can you tell me where I can find me?
B: The human Ontha Truftedpasttime is well-travelled and would probably have that information.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: February 06, 2015, 06:58:21 pm »

I: Can you tell me where I can find me?
B: The human Ontha Truftedpasttime is well-travelled and would probably have that information.
Apparently the baroness interpreted the question in the metaphysical sense.

The family thing may have been sarcasm (after reminding her of her troubles,) or a less strict definition (dwarves being close to their distant cousins.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:05:14 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Azereiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: February 06, 2015, 08:58:38 pm »

Heard about criminals in the Human town of Webbore. Went there, found a guy listed as a "chief" in their temple catacombs. Asked around, killed off five bandit camps, came back, found the chief a little suspicious, attacked him.

He put a hole in my chest with his crossbow after I missed him four times, and I ran off to leave my companion to die. Went back the next day, stole his crossbow before attacking him again, and this time it was a little less deadly but just as annoying - the guy apparently had master level dodging skills or something, because I missed every single swing.

After a lot of me running and dodging out of the way, we ended up in a hallway with him in a corner so it was less likely that he'd succeed in dodging. I stopped aiming strikes and started mashing the directional random attack button, and after about a hundred taps, I finally got a stab through his upper chest, followed by taking his head off.

I looked at my dwarf's injuries - broken heart, lung, eye, leg, arm, and all teeth knocked out. All of them. Through the helmet. Oh well, I'm sure he didn't like solid foods anyway. >.>

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: February 06, 2015, 09:48:32 pm »

I looked at my dwarf's injuries - broken heart, lung, eye, leg, arm, and all teeth knocked out. All of them. Through the helmet. Oh well, I'm sure he didn't like solid foods anyway. >.>
Helmets don't protect any of those things. They're probably like this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:52:49 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: February 07, 2015, 01:10:30 am »

I visited my human fort/outpost to give them rare supplies to convert into items for her.
Its a good little system and makes time pass nice and quickly (i hope to see an adventurer die of old age).
She walks into the main food hall and the expedition leader starts talking to a cat about another cat that died. He must be a depressed guy. To answer your question, yes I killed the cat. I only had two males for vermin and when I came back they had somehow found a female cat and it had kittens ugh. So I butchered it for my men.

Ive been burning my fat off, I can see how insane most our adventurers get. Happily cursing themselves , burning fat off, killing for fun, dismemberment to your worst enemys and leaving them alive, WATER BENDING!
oh how far we have fallen.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 1104