Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2094852 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #7200 on: November 18, 2014, 01:07:04 am »

My God, I've really crossed the moral event horizon here, haven't I?

An XML dump showed that there are about 500 humans in the world. Still about double the number of dwarves, and roughly on par with the elves. Goblins outnumber everyone else combined. But anyway, these 500 humans were spread out in 5 hamlets surrounding a single market town. These hamlets were my first targets. The first, Angellances, had only 20 residents. The next, Coldhammers, had nearly 80. The third was Waterhearth, with 50 residents. Fourth is Shellabbey, with about 60. The fifth, called Peakslipped, is 90 strong. The rest live in the market town.

I gathered a group of dwarven soldiers, and set off to do our work. Angellances and Waterhearth were first, and I managed to destroy both villages in a single day. The next morning, we attacked Coldhammers. I logged in the middle of the fighting there. The peasants are actually really tough, and are able to use their various knives to deadly effect. The preponderance of woodcutters is slowing our advance as well. I've lost 7 of my 12 followers already (albeit they were the worst armored of the bunch.)

Anyway, all told we're about a quarter of the way there. I expect serious resistance when we reach the market town, but until then I don't expect any problems. If we keep up our momentum, the hamlets will be cleared in 3 days. The entire campaign will probably take 4 or 5. From then I can hunt down any stragglers, and the three or four army groups that are out and about. I imagine they'll return when their homes are threatened.

Until time travelers try to kill you you haven't done anything that bad.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: November 18, 2014, 01:20:00 am »

Just challenged a vault, being a vampire+necromancer+thrall human with maxed out physical and mostly master or legendary weapon skills, starting out alone. Despite all my skills, and the horde of zombies behind me, that archangel clove through me. It lit half of us on fire, and then covered the others in wed. A bronze spider with fire breath. Yeah, it doesn't matter how many zombies I toss at it, I'm not winning. I tried retreating, but I got webbed and flamed, then knocked down and stepped on until I burnt away.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: November 18, 2014, 01:39:17 am »

Aften all that time in the northwest corner as mentioned in the first adventure log, cretin speardwarf and his two human companions went eastward in search of a night troll, then an ettin. 

While it can be said the unarmed, Karelin-impersonating night troll grappler is likely the most dangerous (night troll) for a player (particularly if unable to draw outdoors), all of them are bad for the NPCs—in general, generic night troll stats are really too high for NPCs you've recruited who haven't had enough fights to train up. Part of the issue is NPCs like to take free swings and just do stat vs stat combat. The other part is the NPC enemy always likes to focus attention on other NPCs. Somehow though, after both gave in to pain, the humans managed to live.

The ettin expedition was better. Cretin speardwarf just waited on reserve as the spearman and swordsman took down the ettin. I think it's the pain/tiredness penalties (not the giving into pain, just the feature of being hurt, getting winded, etc). Night trolls are purely mechanical and only suffer slowness when foot or leg is hit. Other semi-megabeasts suffer additional penalty. So all in all, a partial success as one of them got a good kill in.

Of course, all this like anything else was short-lived. Because there are times you just don't pay attention to the details and are functioning modestly unfocused, there are lairs you go to without really remembering why or what for. Is this your home? No. It's someone else's. Everything resembles yesteryear's DirecTV commercials.

The lair farthest east was home to a nice red H. Possible early surprise death is somehow nifty, and why not? So cretin speardwarf engages the hydra with workable demigod stats. The human spearman is outside and won't come in. The human swordsman is a few squares behind frozen in spot and very alert. After a few exchanges, it's clear the multiple head hydra attack and speed equal death if cretin speardwarf can't get out of the cramped lair to make the most of recovery period quick attack + dodge away (best with unending space). A terrible thing happens when jumping backwards the second time to make room. Cretin speardwarf ends up swapping positions with the swordsman who is now closest to the hydra. As cretin speardwarf exits, the swordsman is torn apart. The human spearman just stands near the entrance on the surface. Instead of a good decision, he makes the fatal one and does not flee. He is torn apart and the hydra surfaces. The recovery period exchanges begin with quick attack to the upper/lower body then dodge away, until finally the bleed out can start.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's dead about a minute later. Three lives were the cost for some stat growth. Was it worth it? Hydras offer the best one fight stat increase for characters who opt not to grind at all. The answer appears to be yes.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:25:51 am by a smiling bearded cretin »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: November 18, 2014, 02:04:32 pm »

And so my campaign comes to a premature end. We ran into one of the army groups after leaving Coldhammers, 15 swordsmen led by a bow master. I escaped the encirclement, barely, will all of my companions dead and my own left arm severed. I'd almost made it away when an arrow hit me in the back of the neck. I passed out, and that was the end of me. I don't think I'll continue to try to destroy all humans, it was just tedious at the end.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Slashes-With-Claws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: November 18, 2014, 02:36:51 pm »

"I am sad that I am flying."

Playing a human vampire, no mods, Raiding a goblin Dark Tower.  Decided to climb into a pit that was in there.  I was stopped when I encountered some tower cap mushrooms.  I figured I could just let go of the wall and land on them.  Wrong!  I let go of the wall and... "Flying".  So, my game just basically stopped responding with my character stuck "Flying" forever.
Mary had a Little Lamb...

...BUT I ATE IT!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: November 18, 2014, 04:04:33 pm »

Upon entering the human town of Icypasses I found it to be completely abandoned, all the houses were empty or ruined. To figure out what was going on I visited the keep, where I found a clear explanation.

Yes, all of those are elves, and what's worse, they are all administrators. This is the ultimate bureaucratic nightmare, no wonder the town is abandoned.

Slashes-With-Claws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: November 18, 2014, 04:35:23 pm »

Had to End Task on the game.  Tried again, this time avoiding landing on the mushroom.  Explored the caverns a bit, and now, I have reached deeper layers, devoid of all life except fungus.  My poor adventurer is now doomed to wander the caverns for all eternity, alone, in the dark, the faint signs of life visible above her thanks to her blood vision, but out of reach, forever.

...BUT I ATE IT!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: November 18, 2014, 08:09:30 pm »

Had to End Task on the game.  Tried again, this time avoiding landing on the mushroom.  Explored the caverns a bit, and now, I have reached deeper layers, devoid of all life except fungus.  My poor adventurer is now doomed to wander the caverns for all eternity, alone, in the dark, the faint signs of life visible above her thanks to her blood vision, but out of reach, forever.

The retiring under a site and unretire trick should still work.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: November 19, 2014, 07:29:44 am »

Okay I notice when you talk to scared peasants as a megabeast will address you as "a dangerous animal", on top of all the other person modifiers, like easy to talk to, and is a leader.
no amount of yielding and holstering your items will stop them from panicking.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

piffleton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: November 19, 2014, 12:01:53 pm »

Noooooooooo! My first adventurer after a long time away from DF has met her end. I suppose there is a kind of justice in the fact that she was killed by a zombie elf - she had been living largely on a diet of elf hearts.

Slashes-With-Claws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: November 19, 2014, 02:34:03 pm »

The retiring under a site and unretire trick should still work.

That seems kind of cheap.  No, she got herself into this, it is her fate.  Perhaps justice for willingly turning herself into a vampire, or her conquering of various towns and claiming them for her growing nation, or the slaughter of goblins unprovoked.  Whether you see this is as justice or tragedy, this is her fate.  To wander forever, alone, deep in the world, never to see... hey, look, a fissure in the rock, looks like it goes up pretty high.  After some climbing she again finds cave life other than just fungus whereupon she immediately sets about hurting it and drinking its blood.  With renewed vigor she continues on, finding a ramp leading farther up.  She continues to travel and comes across a large cavern going far into the dark above her.  She climbs yet again, the fungus coating on the walls thinning out and disappearing.  Finally she reaches the top and encounters something wonderful, a door!  And in a large room, treasure chests and sacks of valuables!  After climbing down to the deep cavern layer from one of the goblin dark pits she inadvertently has emerged in their treasure room under their fortress several miles away from where she started.  What luck!  Now to grab up the treasure, kill the inhabitants, and return home victorious!

...BUT I ATE IT!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: November 19, 2014, 03:15:54 pm »

Playing a human vampire, no mods, Raiding a goblin Dark Tower.  Decided to climb into a pit that was in there.  I was stopped when I encountered some tower cap mushrooms.  I figured I could just let go of the wall and land on them.  Wrong!  I let go of the wall and... "Flying".  So, my game just basically stopped responding with my character stuck "Flying" forever.

Should have reported the bug. I just reproduced it, however, I did a save right before I tried to jump to the tower cap. I think one of my zombies is also affected by this bug actually.

Edit: It's already been reported, but I'll go and supply a save.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:20:43 pm by smjjames »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: November 19, 2014, 04:56:33 pm »

Should have reported the bug. I just reproduced it, however, I did a save right before I tried to jump to the tower cap. I think one of my zombies is also affected by this bug actually.

You can work around this temporarily by going into your save's files and giving the race you're playing as the FLIER tag. Also need  a flying gait in the new version, I think. Then you can just fly off the shroom, land, then remove the flying tag again.

I've been testing my mod in adventure mode. Just did up a wizard "curse" that makes certain historical figures into magical wizards who can teach spells to people around them. The teaching part works great. Unfortunately, the first time I tried to test it I had allowed them to teach people a "reformation" spell that takes advantage of transformations healing all wounds. It transforms people into an immobile "cocoon" creature for a time. So pretty soon everyone in the room had cast the spell on each other and turned into cocoons, and then the wizard froze to death.
Then I cast a lightning spell I'd learned to try and kill everyone else so they couldnt recast the reformation spell when I turned back. I froze to death. Everyone froze to death.

So I tried it again, left out the reformation spell teachings. Works great now; nobody froze to death. But then a lasher came in through the door, clearly very badly injured and bleeding. I tried to talk to him to figure out what happened, but before I could finish my sentence everyone else in the room was stabbing him to death. Welp.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Corinthian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: November 20, 2014, 12:53:10 am »

I am disappointed that my accusations of random dwarves being night creatures has no possibility of causing a crazed witchhunt throughout the fortress. :(

As for my current adventurer, he is an elf who is currently (unsuccessfully) seeking a way out of the jungle to hopefully locate a dwarven settlement, at which point he will wage guerilla murder against the heathen little people for their blasphemous usage of wood.

Thus far, I see no end in sight to the trees and narrowly escaped death twice now. The first time, an unlucky leopard distracted some antsy bogeymen and was pummeled to death as I fled. The second time, thirsty and hungry, I stumbled upon a brook for water and met a honey badger which I swiftly knocked unconscious, killed, and butchered for meat (as well as liver, tripe and sweetbreads)

Should I ever escape these jungles and find the enemy, I shall enjoy a grand feast of dwarf hearts to celebrate it. Then one by one, I will slay every last dwarf in the land...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:58:01 am by Corinthian »

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:26 am »

A bad idea for getting stuck is to have 1 companion, then climb up a tree and sleep. If the tree is small enough, he will be standing on top of you. To fix this, just tell him to leave and he will probably leave within an hour.

You cannot climb while prone.
You cannot jump while prone.
You cannot stand up, something is in the way.

So I disbanded him, and then I waited for 1 hour and he was gone.

*edit* I decided to enter the haunted mountains to the north of my path, just to check out what the red river was all about. Turns out there was no river of blood, but I got attacked by two zombie Kea. I managed to switch the bow for the knife, but it didn't help.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:12:22 am by ToXey »
-I slew Zolak! -It was inevitable.
-Any troubles? -Bandit Zolak is harassing our hamlet!
-Tell me about Zolak. -Zolak is dead.
-What do you think about me? -You are killer. You are also unhinged. You have perpetrated a violent attack upon Zolak.
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1104