Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2094991 times)

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #5625 on: February 01, 2014, 01:20:18 am »

An iron war axe wont penetrate iron armor successfully because the materials kind of "cancel each other out", so to speak. Only weapons with material properties superior to the material properties of a target's armor/tissue* will penetrate the armor/tissue successfully, otherwise the attack is converted to blunt damage. Basically, the defender always wins in a stalemate**, and skill of the user or wearer is not a factor in determining whether an attack penetrates armor/tissue layers. Since an axe's head has a pretty high surface area for the attacking edge, and the force is distributed across that larger area, it cannot do the considerable damage that a war hammer could do with its smaller edge when the axes' attack is converted to blunt damage. Bolts also have very small surface areas of attack, and a lot of force behind them, so they also do impressive damage even when they're striking a target with armor made of tougher stuff than they are, hence copper projectiles are still quite effective against iron-clad knights.

A silver pike (or spear) makes a good weapon against armored targets because the surface area of the attack is so small and the material it's made of (silver) has a very high density (which is important for blunt attacks). It's only twice that of a war hammer, or equal to a mace. (20)

*The shearing force attributes affect how effective an armor/tissue is against edged attacks, and MAX_EDGE that determines how effective materials are as edged weapons.
**ignoring the fact that they may take blunt damage from the impact, which can break bones if it's strong enough

That explanation was very informative. Thank you.

So by those standards, would it make the Morningstar the most ideal weapon? Since as I understand it not only is the best material for the weapon easily found (silver, I think), it also deals blunt as well as piercing damage from the points. Given the density of silver and the potential force from one point, which has a tiny surface area and would presumably have the same piercing effect that bolts and spears would have, it would be an extremely over-powered weapon no?

I'm also tempted to start a new adventurer as a spearman (retired my last one since he got an infection, I'm hoping that will heal with time if he hasn't died by then). Would I be able to wield one of those one-handed? Also what's all this praise I hear about silver whips? Density of silver behind speed and small contact surface I presume?

Sorry if this is too many questions at once.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: February 01, 2014, 01:39:04 am »

Whips and scourges are pretty good weapons, I've also had a lot of success with steel picks.

Best weapon I've ever had is an artifact adamantine short sword, but the adventurer who wields that is so overpowered he can bite through iron-clad knights helms...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: February 01, 2014, 01:53:41 am »

Whips are absolutely bonkers right now, yeah. They deal only blunt damage, and they have a surface area of 1, and a huge velocity multiplier. So, yeah, they're lightsabers. That's partly to do with the fact the game doesn't know how to simulate flexible objects, so a "whip" is 100% rigid with no give whatsoever, transferring all of its energy into the target on impact. Denser materials make them even more lethal, but an iron whip is still something you dont want in your opponent's hands, so I always try to disarm lashers and prioritize them and ranged weapon users. Your best defense is going to be a shield (or two. Or twelve, the game really doesnt care if you 'r'emove them form your bag after picking them up and then hold onto them indefinitely, and each shield counts towards a chance to block an attack.) I'd suggest getting one copper shield, and a bunch of wooden shields (because material doesnt matter AT ALL for shields' chance to block. Even blocking dragon fire). Copper shields are nice and heavy and good for smacking people in the face, and wooden shields are light so they dont weigh you down so much.

A morning star's edged attack is as effective as a hammer's (same surface area and velocity multiplier) with a little extra penetration, which probably won't be that important, so I suppose which one you want to use would best be determined by your skill with them.

You can wield any weapon in one hand if the other is occupied. In adventure mode, the game just doesn't care what your hands are doing.

And yes, kesperan, your adventurer's brain-nomming shenanigans are legendary. Poor Bora...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: February 01, 2014, 03:04:51 am »

That's really good advice.

But where do I find wooden shields? Elven communes I guess. Haven't come across one yet, don't think my world has one to be honest.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: February 01, 2014, 06:12:05 am »

If you've got Wanderer's Friend mod, I think you can make wooden shields (confirmation would be nice, as I really only use WF as a way to get my Elven adventurers some metal armor...)
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: February 01, 2014, 11:14:49 am »

But where do I find wooden shields? Elven communes I guess. Haven't come across one yet, don't think my world has one to be honest.

Yeah, that's where. It only works if you replace tree cities with regular cities so you can steal or buy some. Wooden shields are very useful, 'cause they still won't break but are light as a feather. Like adamantine.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: February 01, 2014, 01:33:06 pm »

Yeah, that's where. It only works if you replace tree cities with regular cities so you can steal or buy some. Wooden shields are very useful, 'cause they still won't break but are light as a feather. Like adamantine.

I like playing Vanilla. Maybe I'll try modding once I'm bored of regular Adventure Mode.

If I start a fort and inexplicably stock up on wooden shields from elven caravans that could also probably work.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: February 01, 2014, 02:15:02 pm »

I like playing Vanilla. Maybe I'll try modding once I'm bored of regular Adventure Mode.

If I start a fort and inexplicably stock up on wooden shields from elven caravans that could also probably work.

Haha lol. You might be able to make your own wooden shields in dorf mode too, considering how many other things you can make out of wood. (MInecarts, ha ha!)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: February 01, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »

Yeah, in fortress mode you can make them out of either wood or leather as well as metal.

yesterday, I adventured across the map, basically, and came upon a civilization that didn't consider me to be a legendary hero already, so I've been taking quests from them. I also killed several species of dinosaurs on my travels.

Interestingly, I found a lair, in a hamlet. literally in the middle of a field. I didn't know sites could overlap like that. It was inhabited by two of my targets, werecreatures, which I killed almost effortlessly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: February 03, 2014, 12:20:32 am »

In Masterwork, after starting a human adventurer and mistakenly going to an elven fortress where everything was small, I looted a mithril sword which apparently was just blunt. That's cool, got an expensive training sword to clobber training targets with.

After going to my human civ capital and loading up on armor, I went and killed some kobolds in the keep's dungeons. That was fun, I even did some wrestling. Tore off a 'bold's finger and kept it as a trophy, only to notice afterwards I had randomly chosen to tear off his middle finger. Heh. That was funny.

Then I made the mistake of leaving town a bit too early in the morning, and got rushed by bogeymen. Killed 3 out of 5 with my steel long sword, one even was killed by a counterstrike bisecting him. Then I got too tired and fell to the ground...things went downhill from there as the two bogeymen bashed me more and more. My armor kept me safe though.

Then I passed out from exhaustion and the second hit to the head caved my skull in through my steel goblin skull helm and meteoric iron chain mail hood. Fun. FUN. !!FUN!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUU--
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: February 03, 2014, 05:43:02 pm »

Made a dorf fort and used it just to make some spiked balls, a few minecarts, and build an inn.

Returned later with an adventurer, used the minecart.

Hilarity ensues as my adventurer learns to fly for 2 seconds, then becomes nauseated, mortally wounded, heavily bleeding, winded. etc. over the course of a turn. Broke his legs, might I add. Lucky he survived.

Play nice with minecarts, kiddies.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: February 03, 2014, 10:37:12 pm »

In Masterwork, after starting a human adventurer and mistakenly going to an elven fortress where everything was small, I looted a mithril sword which apparently was just blunt. That's cool, got an expensive training sword to clobber training targets with.

After going to my human civ capital and loading up on armor, I went and killed some kobolds in the keep's dungeons. That was fun, I even did some wrestling. Tore off a 'bold's finger and kept it as a trophy, only to notice afterwards I had randomly chosen to tear off his middle finger. Heh. That was funny.

Then I made the mistake of leaving town a bit too early in the morning, and got rushed by bogeymen. Killed 3 out of 5 with my steel long sword, one even was killed by a counterstrike bisecting him. Then I got too tired and fell to the ground...things went downhill from there as the two bogeymen bashed me more and more. My armor kept me safe though.

Then I passed out from exhaustion and the second hit to the head caved my skull in through my steel goblin skull helm and meteoric iron chain mail hood. Fun. FUN. !!FUN!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

Can't spell fun without Fu.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: February 04, 2014, 12:28:51 am »

I recently had a character finally become a necromancer.

She is currently running around missing the lower part of her left arm, and suffering from severe nerve damage in various places after a run in with a Minotaur.

Tight spaces are the natural predator of a Necromancer.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: February 04, 2014, 03:20:05 am »

Tight spaces are the natural predator of EVERYTHING.

Except for, inexplicably, an incredibly lucky and cannibalistic Elven adventurer.  Who, of course, died to wolves after killing a Minotaur in its Labyrinth.
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: February 04, 2014, 11:05:00 am »

So after multiple horrible deaths to the same werelizard ("This vile fiend has slain 9 10 27 people!") in Masterwork, I finally got an adventurer going. I'm hoping to eventually slay that werelizard and avenge my three dwarven necromancer adventurers.

However, I'm in a completely different part of the world, so I'm going to have to wander around training until I can find it. Until then, I'm looking for a legion dwarf fortress so I can get some gauntlets and boots.

PS: A bloodsteel +*Blade-Whip*+ from the drow is insanely awesome. I've taken on three sky giants who I blundered into in a lair and bisected them easily, with lvl 5 lashing skill. I got a copper meat cleaver from that lair, so that'll be fun to use.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 1104