Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2094591 times)

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #5550 on: November 13, 2013, 11:40:25 am »

Welp, I just died once again. How do I not die from hammermen?

Also, is quest pool civilization-wide? How do I become famous if they want nothing?
Maybe if you can explore enough to find exciting things to kill, you can report their deaths and gain fame regardless of how worthy they judge you to be.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: November 13, 2013, 12:22:38 pm »

Good Armok, I killed 154 kobolds already, when will they end?! I'm getting tired and bruised.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: November 13, 2013, 12:48:06 pm »

I ran into a Kobald cave yesterday, and the place held about two-hundred fifty of the things. It went all the way down to a cave layer, where I found fifty of them and large gems everywhere.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: November 13, 2013, 12:55:20 pm »

Final result, 165 kobolds and cave slope abruptly ending in lake, making it impossible to actually explore caves. But hey, I'm hammerlord now.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: November 13, 2013, 01:47:12 pm »

I ran into a kobold cave that actually had 0 looted stuff scattered around. Don't remember ATM if it was an isolated cave or not though.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: November 16, 2013, 05:25:28 pm »

My Chaos dwarf Swordmaster with 200 kills died. Not in glorious battle with the necromancer I was going to try and kill, but by starving to death in a glacier, because said necromancer's tower was A: At the bottom of the world IN A GLACIER, and B: Across the sea. Wow.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: November 17, 2013, 01:09:57 am »

I spawned in a large city as a Human lasher, and I promptly asked the nearby Dwarven merchant for a quest. He directed me to the local temple, built around a pool of water. There, he said, dwelt a vampire whose kills numbered over one thousand. After admiring some of the engravings, I entered the temple, and met with the priest. After a brief discussion about the temple and religion, I decided to test my suspicions and accuse him of being a vampire. He did not even attempt to deny it, and began to attack me.

I lashed at him with my whip in the leg, bruising it slightly. My opponent, however, had the experience of one thousand kills, and sliced my hand immediately, causing me to lose hold of my whip. As I scrambled to pick it back up, he took several more swipes at me with his knife, resulting in my body being covered in cuts. A lucky slash took my right hand clean off, and another bruised my stomach. I decided that I was not going to be just another kill of this monster, and I leapt off ledge and fell two stories into the water.

Once I regained consciousness, I began to move around and swim. I assessed my situation, and found that I was wounded beyond standard adventuring capabilities and, to add insult to injury, I had no way of escaping the pool of water. When I looked up at the ledge above me, I did not see the vampire. I was, however, quite patient, and he did indeed return eventually. I noticed that, while not severely injured, he did have several bruises, and I assumed that the nearby civilians attempted to succeed where I had failed. Looking down at me, he clearly saw that I was finished, and taunted me severely. I reached into my backpack and took out my large copper dagger. I had absolutely no throwing or archery skill, but it was worth a try, for someone had to kill this bloodsucking monster. I threw the dagger at my target, standing three stories above me. The projectile hit him right in the forehead, pierced his skull, and destroyed his brain; he was killed instantaneously. Feeling a great satisfaction, I immediately retired.

I love this game.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: November 18, 2013, 09:58:12 am »

I had an interesting experience in attacking Divineshoves, a necromancer tower.

I got together a crew from the local fort and charged into the fort with the plan of disabling the necromancer quickly with bolts/arrows, then having my soldiers chop up the zombies without fear of them being raised again. I spotted a dwarf brewer necromancer in the corner of the tower and was ready to throw a bolt at him when I the game asked if I was sure I wanted to attack him. Curious, I tried to talk with him and was surprised to strike up a friendly conversation. My hammer lord was apparently well-known even among the necromancers, and rather than attacking me he happily joined my party. Another necromancer, a human stoneworker, came downstairs and also joined us.

Unfortunately, they did not get along with my other soldiers, nor did their many zombies. Any attempt to walk back in the tower resulted in my necro-friends happily resurrecting every body and limb they saw, and they all immediately attacked me. Deciding I needed to rid myself of them, but not really wanting to attack directly, I tried to figure out a way to make them disappear. So I settled on going to a little beach trip!

I swam out into the water and was joined by my new friends, who immediately floundered. The dwarf drowned, and the human necromancer resurrected him, but both zombie and necromancer drowned shortly thereafter. Now without the threat of and zombie uprising, I headed back to the tower... to find four more necromancers standing around. Apparently this tower was some sort of necromancy apartment complex. I recruited three of them, but the fourth was a necromancer warlord(!) who was too dutiful to leave his tower. I took the other three necros on a "fishing trip" before returning alone to figure out what to do with the warlord. I didn't want to attack directly, in fear I would upset any remaining necromancers in the tower, but my swimming tactic wouldn't work with him.

As I walked around trying to figure out what to do with this warlord fellow, I suddenly saw him dodging "horned fiend extract." Curious, I came closer and saw a horned fiend had come out of seeming nowhere and was now goring the warlord. I kept my distance, let the horned fiend finish the job, then went back to the fort to get a crew and clear out the zombies.

Returning with my soldiers, we fought a long battle with the horned fiend - a coati-shaped monster with one eye and long-gray hair - and briefly celebrated before another coati-shaped horned fiend showed up. We sequestered ourselves in the tower, slaughtering the zombie inhabitants. I had to search through stacks of books (those six necromancers had a prolific oeuvre) before finding a book that provided the secrets to life and death. We took down the other horned fiend, though sadly I couldn't seem to raise their skeletons, and headed back satisfactorally.

fredigar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: November 21, 2013, 01:57:42 am »

This is my first ever post on the forum... I've had DF since April.

It seems that my adventurers are prone to immortality but they always die horrible, stupid deaths. Like chocking on a kobold's severed leg.

I genned an new adventurer and the first quest I got was to slay a vampire who had been masquerading as my human civilisation's head priestess. I searched the 'entire' temple and I could not find them, or any stairs or ramps. So I looked a z level above and their they were stuck on the roof of the temple with a random goose. I figured that it would be a good idea to confront them and point out that they are a night creature... if they bled, I could turn my adventurer into a vampire and live out the 1047 years before the world stopped creating history.

But things turned out to be one of the most rage-inducing moments of DF I have ever encountered (Never reached the HFS or second cavern layer). The combat log went a bit like this:
Stray goose attacks human vampire priestess, but the human priestess doges the attack
Human vampire priestess falls into pool of magma
Human vampire priestess has burned to death...

No blood and no corpse and that to my knowledge was the only vampire on that world. I reported that the vampire was killed, and promptly got a new quest to slay a dragon; which ended in fun... I threw her egg at her but it bounced off; a tick later I was dead... again.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: November 21, 2013, 02:10:56 am »

Picking up the game for the first time in about a year, I decided to generate a new world and really explore it. I took notes in Legends Mode, jotting down names, locations, and noting the histories of certain important artifacts. I got really into the roleplaying potential of the game, treating it almost like a D&D campaign. I gave my first adventurer, a peasant woman named Ithev Creaturebreath (I selected something memorable to imply she's rough and scary from her name alone), a fairly deep amount of characterization in my notes: Ithev lived in The Nation of Cream, a land ruled by a demon named Rakust impersonating the murder/disease goddess Agwa Devilghost, and sought to bring glory to herself and security to her people through notorious, brutal deeds.

Ithev's first quest was to assassinate a necromancer who lived in a tower half a day away from her home village. Uhhm. It seemed a bit much for a first quest, so I took her off to the big city instead. The "big city" turned out to be a battered, mostly abandoned town, though I'm not certain if the incomplete houses were generation errors or actual battle damage. There, she recruited her first companion, killed an amphibian man vampire living in the sewers, lost her companion to a group of goblins, lost her backpack, and got a mortal wound to boot. Luckily, people can sleep those off. Then I spent a couple days having her wander around the city looking for a backpack to buy, trying to find a bag to carry her stuff in, and trying to get her some food. That was educational.  I certainly never would have thought that a quiver could carry a shield, a mace, or a short sword until I tried to shove them into one. After another day, Ithev assassinated a chief in the dungeons, recruited two soldiers, and was promptly killed by the same mace-wielding goblins who had killed her first companion. When did goblins get so tough? I thought they were cannon fodder.

The adventure was short, harrowing, brutal, and ended suddenly. In other words, it's just as good as I remembered. I probably should have had her train a little before she left her hometown. Oh well.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: November 21, 2013, 12:55:38 pm »

"Tell them it was the Toasts of Chocolate if you live"

Is this what gangs call themselves this days?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: November 22, 2013, 09:50:08 am »

So, I found a minecart in the lair, and rode downhill and crashed and died.

Well, what did I even expect?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: November 22, 2013, 11:46:54 pm »

Welp, I just died once again. How do I not die from hammermen?

Also, is quest pool civilization-wide? How do I become famous if they want nothing?
Try asking about surroundings. I was savescumming and playing as a dragon, but I managed to change the world from age of myth to age of heroes. Was hoping, as a megabeast, the new era would be named after me.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: November 23, 2013, 05:50:42 pm »

So I just made a demigod Beastman adventurer. I skilled him up in striking wrestling and dodging, and other hand to hand combat skills.
Beastmen are a modded race I found on the dwarf fortress file depot which are basically minotaurs but with horned human heads as opposed to bulls.

I grabbed a bag of plump helmets and departed, and only a few tiles away was an evil mountain. 45 plump helmets for the whole trip and hopefully the blood of my enemies to quench my thirst, I'm tackling it head on. Wish me luck.

Edit:

The mountain is covered in pools of ganeshi (elephantman civ) blood and the first thing that attacked me was a tentacle monster, whom I promptly took down by one of it's tentacles and killed it with one punch to the head. This is going to be fun.

Edit x2:

Two more tentacle monsters got some lucky shots on me and I fell unconscious. RIP.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 05:59:14 pm by Boozebeard »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:16 pm »

I made a mineral-poor desert world ("small", i think) and explored it with a dwarf peasant. After the usual assortment of werebeasts and bandit leaders in the subarctic, i took her for a spin through the warmer areas to the north. Those were lousy with night trolls. Lost the use of one leg at some point against one, but had secured a crutch already.

Eventually, she gained enough fame to be sent on quests by local rulers; the first three were titans. After those, she got a minotaur quest and then... a werebeast again? I might have run the world out of high-profile targets. Retired her and started a fort (not sure whether i'll actually play it) and sure enough, "The world has advanced to the Golden Age." I think we were solidly in Legends before. The hardest fights were against minotaurs. When those bastards get their fingers on a weapon, they're nasty enemies, thanks to their high natural combat skills generating wicked counterstrikes even on "green" hit chances. There was also a brief scare when a mountain slope showed a temperature of "burning" and an attempt to eat something was refused because the food was too hot. Going to sleep until dawn might have prevented serious damage and i left that area very quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1104