Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2099891 times)

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #495 on: August 25, 2010, 07:22:23 pm »

except Gobs and Cutebolds, but who cares about them

I experienced terrible defeat by an ettin.

My human lasher managed to attack twice, before the ettin grabbed me by one of my toes and threw me against a wall, where he exploded. I have never been defeated this fast.
Your 1st time to actually meet a smart enemy....
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 25, 2010, 08:51:25 pm »

Don't worry KT.  I still love you Cutebolds.  I even put dogs out on chains in front of my fortresses so that they are scared away instead of making it all the way inside to get bifurcated by militia.

I mean, hell, they don't taste good, no point filling up stockpiles with their bits...

My first adventurer in a month spawned, left town, got ambushed by wolves and dodged into a murky pool to drown in about 5 minutes.   I think adventure mode is angry at me for neglecting it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:53:50 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 25, 2010, 10:45:36 pm »

I just got thrown off a cliff by a skeletal hydra and survived. I took her out with a silver dagger, but I didn't get credit for it as a significant kill, presumably because she was already dead. According to her Legend, Icithi Largesucked simply 'collapsed'.

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 26, 2010, 01:03:42 am »

I just got thrown off a cliff by a skeletal hydra and survived. I took her out with a silver dagger, but I didn't get credit for it as a significant kill, presumably because she was already dead. According to her Legend, Icithi Largesucked simply 'collapsed'.

i HATE when they do that.

Hypostasis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 26, 2010, 03:05:39 am »

First time playing...

The elven queen asks that I slay a dragon: Gobin Parchflame the Gilded Furnace who has killed half a dozen members of her family. Well, I think, that's quite a task for a reed clad elf with an oaken spear. But I figure, what the hades, there's only one way to learn. My journey to the beast's lair is uneventful and I make my way inside. Hiding behind some rocks I can see the dragon munching upon a leg. Expecting to die shortly, he instead finishes his snack and flies away, leaving his glittering loot unattended. I take the opportunity to snatch up everything I can, leaving the dragon for later and making my way to a nearby human town. I sell off loads of jewelry and trinkets, and with the gold purchase a superior bronze spear with intricate glass carvings of a hydra's victory over some hero. Perhaps this won't be a *bad* omen.  I make my way back to Gobin's lair and the dragon spots me immediately. He rushes in swiftly and then my fear is realized; a blast of fire bellows forth. Oh @%&$!! With some incredible luck or perhaps superior elven senses I am able to maneuver aside of the blast within a few turns. I move in and strike. More luck! My spear lodges into the beast's heart, tearing it asunder and the dragon falls to the ground unconscious. Blow after blow I eviscerate my foe, who, struggling for consciousness manages to knock me to the ground several times, but is unable mount an effective offense, and soon he bleeds to his death. I return to the elven queen unscathed, my first kill in tow and my belly full of its serpent blood.

..Now, I have had some good times in Angband, and some great times in ADOM, but this was by far the most exciting victory of any roguelike I have ever played. I am hooked!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:09:25 am by Hypostasis »

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 26, 2010, 03:09:52 am »

That is some story, Hypostasis - DF is pretty amazing sometimes all of the time. Welcome to the forums, by the by.

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 26, 2010, 03:13:45 am »

Ooo, are edged/pointed weapons really better against bronze colossi? That does seem logical, seeing as how they can lop off limbs instead of just dent-dent-dent. Also, my judgment back there was probably a wee bit clouded by the difference in weapon material; I was comparing a bronze spear and scimitar against a steel warhammer. Still, it was kinda cool to split the colossus in two with a blunt weapon and have the bottom land a few squares away. :)

Anyways, I retired that adventurer (who, by the way, had the surname of "Umpigumpig Umpig") and started a new world. Part of this was because in the last game, I saw virtually no goblins in goblin towns; the humans had more or less taken over. In the new world, which I started playing about 50 years after creation instead of 400 like the previous one, the first goblin town I saw instead had humans and goblins living in unison. Not for long.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

Hypostasis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 26, 2010, 04:15:09 am »

Seriously Grue. I am deeply impressed. Apparently my feat with the dragon has impressed the locals enough that the princess has just tasked me with slaying the very hydra depicted on my 150 year old spear!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 26, 2010, 04:18:32 am »

Seriously Grue. I am deeply impressed. Apparently my feat with the dragon has impressed the locals enough that the princess has just tasked me with slaying the very hydra depicted on my 150 year old spear!

Sir, that image doesn't depict someone's past. It depicts your future.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Hypostasis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 26, 2010, 05:26:18 am »

Heh heh, yeah I didn't have too good a feeling about that one. As things went, I didn't have a future. A spider demon began tearing pieces from elves the next morning.. my brain was among those pieces.  :o

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 26, 2010, 05:56:15 am »

Heh heh, yeah I didn't have too good a feeling about that one. As things went, I didn't have a future. A spider demon began tearing pieces from elves the next morning.. my brain was among those pieces.  :o

Save the spear!
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 26, 2010, 06:50:11 am »

Oh no! I agree though, reclaim the spear - and make sure it's as another elf! This could turn out to be an epic saga!

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 26, 2010, 07:02:18 am »

Whew, this Empire is huge! I have collected memberships in 47 cults, and that wasn't even as many cities as I visited; some towns had missing or deceased priests, some had priests in churches I was already a member of. But in the course of this trek, I got a view of the big picture:

I come from the only surviving elven nation. Most of them died out within 50 years of history, some from rampages, some gone within 10 years of coming into contact with another nation. My people, I'll call them the Swift, survived rampages and existed for 800 years on the border of the biggest human Empire around. In fact this Empire, I'll call them the Fruity Feds (the name alone is reason for them to die,) rolled over everything else in it's path and left it all in ruins, until it hit the border of the Swift and it could go no further (you shall not pass!) They got one flickering square into the Swift, and it stayed that way for 800 years.

The only other elvish settlements around are in the Fed's closest competitor, the Sol-Talons for short. They were all gradually absorbed, and though I doubt it was a bloodless takeover, those retreats still have their own local governments and are thriving today. There isn't a single ruin in Sol-Talons, all cities were incorporated intact, which makes them look like the most likely ally to bet on. Though they worship a titan I may one day have to kill, at least their law-giver isn't a demon.

But the Fruity Feds aren't at war with them, they're still fighting rebellion from a few cities they already occupy and surround. I expect those people will give me the funnest jobs after I kick off holy war. And I'm still intensely curious to find how the warlords of the Fed will react to me capping their ruling fiend after I've done them all so many favors.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 28, 2010, 04:18:38 pm »

well I try a out of body goal of breaking out of hell as a demon to finally understand how they break out and appear every where.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 28, 2010, 04:57:04 pm »

Whew, this Empire is huge! I have collected memberships in 47 cults, and that wasn't even as many cities as I visited; some towns had missing or deceased priests, some had priests in churches I was already a member of. But in the course of this trek, I got a view of the big picture:

I come from the only surviving elven nation. Most of them died out within 50 years of history, some from rampages, some gone within 10 years of coming into contact with another nation. My people, I'll call them the Swift, survived rampages and existed for 800 years on the border of the biggest human Empire around. In fact this Empire, I'll call them the Fruity Feds (the name alone is reason for them to die,) rolled over everything else in it's path and left it all in ruins, until it hit the border of the Swift and it could go no further (you shall not pass!) They got one flickering square into the Swift, and it stayed that way for 800 years.

The only other elvish settlements around are in the Fed's closest competitor, the Sol-Talons for short. They were all gradually absorbed, and though I doubt it was a bloodless takeover, those retreats still have their own local governments and are thriving today. There isn't a single ruin in Sol-Talons, all cities were incorporated intact, which makes them look like the most likely ally to bet on. Though they worship a titan I may one day have to kill, at least their law-giver isn't a demon.

But the Fruity Feds aren't at war with them, they're still fighting rebellion from a few cities they already occupy and surround. I expect those people will give me the funnest jobs after I kick off holy war. And I'm still intensely curious to find how the warlords of the Fed will react to me capping their ruling fiend after I've done them all so many favors.
Oh man, that sounds so great if only civil war wasn't bugged. How cool would it be to work for many different groups, doing choice jobs to determine the outcome of the struggle...

(as it stands if you attack a single member of a civilization, even one you were told to kill by another member of that civilization due to civil war, the entire civilization will war you)
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1104