Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2052487 times)

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14100 on: May 09, 2017, 12:26:22 am »

I managed to sneak into a necromancer's tower (after grinding sneak for...a while) and abscond with the secrets of life and death, after slaying the necromancer. Now, my adventurer goes from town to town, staying for a couple of days and inevitably leaving behind a newly-written, hilarious book (she has a great sense of humor, you see--it's right there in her stats) that imparts the secrets of life and death (she took really quite a lot of blank quires with her when she left my fortress).

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14101 on: May 09, 2017, 02:38:30 am »

I hate bogeymen sooooooooooooooo much!
Companions had insomnia? (They always do.) Dead!
No roof? Dead.
Settlement under occupation? Dead.
Managed to run to run to a town? Dead.
Waited till dawn? Dead.

What are their fists made of..?! They exploded my shell, massacred an entire elven village, and even if I hide in a house or in the air it takes at least an hour of pressing '.' to reach dawn. If I run, they teleport with a chance to grow wings. If I wait two hours in my cabin, they keep cackling all night outside the door (or just open it). If I'm sleeping right next to an elf or a companion, that just means more will spawn! If they're not ambushed or stunned, I miss 70 times in a row (not exaggerating). Simple strikes, precise attacks, none of them hit. Even when they're wailing on my allies they don't get any easier to hit. And if two are attacking me at once, it doesn't matter how good my dodge and shield skills are.

ambushed by some sort of insanely powerful night creature... gets lucky and killes it with a flung spear. take one step in travel mode, game crashes
The God of Time has smited you out of jealousy. Now your memories are but a dream.
their professional strikers and in a bunch of combat skills and dodging so basically imagine brick breaking martial artists that are about foot or an inch tall hitting you, they kinda fall out wayside once you hit legendary but by that point folks are annoyed by being interrupted and damaged at night than anything else.

being a spider-person/scorpion-folks stops them from killing you ( and provide free bodyguard if you wander into a bandit camp or get ambushed at night by goblins) if you just don't provoke them by attacking them but you still have to wait out the night, or find a roof. good time to practice bard skills with them
also they don't really teleport more so they die, and the cackling(the event that summon them) spawn in a new freshly made randomly gen bogies.
because of this your character will be emotionally affected by their Violent Explosive deaths.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14102 on: May 09, 2017, 10:47:32 am »

I hate bogeymen sooooooooooooooo much!

Another player learned why I prefer to disable boogeymen via advanced worldgen.

They're even worse in my dumb mod. I have it set up so that generated creatures are able to use the upgraded body materials that I gave to megabeasts. So that means bones, teeth, and claws that are close so or even superior to bronze and iron.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14103 on: May 09, 2017, 11:16:30 am »

Yeah definitely remember to disable boogymen, they don't add anything to the game.

I always imagine them to be more like agents of some malicious god or another aiming at assassinating your adventurer. Nothing else teleports like they do and they don't even kill people in world gen or spawn for anybody but the adventurer. They're also stupid strong and dangerous compared to almost everything else in the game even though they're like the size of toddlers.

Had some nerd in world gen write a dumb essay on bogeyman parchment which I thought was interesting though.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14104 on: May 09, 2017, 12:15:35 pm »

Currently working on trying to fill the gaps on my current character's numismatic collection. May need to raid one of the local outcast hideouts to see if I can't get some of my missing examples...

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14105 on: May 09, 2017, 03:20:09 pm »

being a spider-person/scorpion-folks stops them from killing you ( and provide free bodyguard if you wander into a bandit camp or get ambushed at night by goblins) if you just don't provoke them by attacking them but you still have to wait out the night, or find a roof. good time to practice bard skills with them
Thanks I will keep that in mind. But I am trying to save some intelligent animal species from extinction.

Had some nerd in world gen write a dumb essay on bogeyman parchment which I thought was interesting though.
Is it even possible to make bogeyman parchment of your own in vanilla?

I just had two dwarf civilizations go extinct :( Not a good sign. (Edit: Nope just one. The second was only their mountainhome.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:57:30 am by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14106 on: May 09, 2017, 04:10:31 pm »

Thanks I will keep that in mind. But I am trying to save some intelligent animal species from extinction.

Is it even possible to make bogeyman parchment of your own in vanilla?

I just had two dwarf civilizations go extinct :( Not a good sign.
Nah, I killed and butchered a boogeyman and wanted to use it''s bones to make jewelry but dwarves (and every adventurer of every other race and civ) consider it immoral to use the skin and bones of such beautiful intelligent creatures people as like boogeymen as trophies. I settled on taking it's skull and putting it on a shelf in my clubhouse.

I remember boogeymen vanished in a puff of smoke if you killed the idk if being able to butcher them now is a bug or feature. That worldgen author must have just been some equivalent of a serial killer or, I have no idea why boogeyman leather would be a thing. Maybe a god gave it to him to write his boring essay on.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14107 on: May 09, 2017, 05:49:27 pm »

Before leaving human lands, Bim scouts a bandit plagued hamlet. There he learns a bit more about spear/shield/sword/armor versus a human recruit. For this he dons his iron mail shirt.

He uses training weapons as he's not interested in any higher commitment than casual sparring. Using wood sparring weapons against the lower body is pretty much the best route to avoid inflicting lasting/crippling damage. Upper body shots could cause suffocation, or in the cause of metal/natural attacks, may jam ribs through organs. Limb strikes can sometimes render a limb useless. Head shots with wood sparring weapons may cause unconsciousness. So lower body it is.

Since the beginning though, I've tried to group Bim's experience gains into blocks as seen in the express emotions menu.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's based on opportunity. If your character has books, they read. If they are fighting, have a program for what they'll train that sorta goes together, if at all possible.

Bim sees his first waterfall during this time period. His life's dream is to see all the great natural places in the world. It's an unending dream and in that way, ultimately sound. If the goal can be reached, as in create a masterwork, the RNG will grant this at a perfectly silly time over a perfectly silly object. If it's a skill, often tracking ends up as the skill which is mastered first—which is to say a meaningless achievement as it's an always-on-skill.

During his return to the land of dwarves, Bim goes fishing and strikes down 2 carp. For this he uses a shield as of the two attacks carp are capable of—tail slaps and bites—only one can be intercepted through grabs; carp have no teeth. As with giant cave toads and giant olms and night trolls, a toothless mouth that bites can't be caught. Your character needs to mangle the mouth to eliminate bites. While for aggressive NPCs this can be done with the multi-attack combo (quick attack + dodge away) during a cyan ! or green + attack of opportunity, a critter like carp (which would rather flee) requires maintaining a grip to prevent flight and the stationary tile occupancy of stand ground/stand ground combat prefs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Good way to get in that shield work and to work up that wrestling when carp tries to break grips.

Unfortunately carp aren't considered true fish by DF standards, since they aren't vermin, so Bim doesn't cook any of this meat. He'll stick with the raw diet for a while longer.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:56:02 pm by peasant cretin »
« Reply #14108 on: May 09, 2017, 09:00:14 pm »

I started a crab man adventurer and got into a fist fight with a milker over the value of martial prowress. When he didn't agree with me, I snipped off his left hand to prove how serious I was. He then agreed with my argument and I left him be. He told me that my king (the only person other than my god that was in the Person list) was coming to reclaim the area and sure enough he was just about there when I stepped outside.

They have now surrounded me and demanded I drop my spear and my backpack. My leg is messed up from that milker stabbing me, but I think I'm going to try jumping over these bums and running into the jungle.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14109 on: May 09, 2017, 09:11:12 pm »

Man I never got robbed by bandits cause I had a million dorfbux in armor and weapons. I just punched and threw everyone to death. If you draw a weapon they will too and they are better at that than fighting unarmed.

Then after they surrendered I heavy kicked their brains out like a proper gentledwarf would after being disrespected.

If you draw a weapon they'll fuck you up. Read the dwarven martial art thread on the adv mode page.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14110 on: May 09, 2017, 09:30:00 pm »

The fortress Tattooracks in Bim's world is inaccessible by fast travel and by slow travel. No new characters can spawn there. RAM usage spikes from 1-1.5GB to 2.5GB and DF just stalls out from there. There's nothing in the errorlog during those stall outs. The original unused copy of this world did allow me to generate a character there. It's a shame since Tatooracks has a library.

However, a comparison of the blank world's region1-01050-01-01-world_sites_and_pops.txt...
Code: [Select]
112: Zegled, "Tattooracks", fortress
Owner: The Disemboweled Floor, dwarves
Parent Civ: The Bolt of Wading, dwarves
234 dwarves
159 elves
274 gorlaks
92 plump helmet men
50 dogs
50 cats
10 donkeys
10 sheep
50 chickens
50 ducks
12 guineafowls

versus Bim's legends_file-01050-02-08-world_sites_and_pops.txt reveals:
Code: [Select]
112: Zegled, "Tattooracks", fortress
Owner: The Disemboweled Floor, dwarves
Parent Civ: The Bolt of Wading, dwarves
243 dwarves
159 elves
2155 plump helmet men <————————— (-_-)
1852118 gorlaks <————————————————— (O_o)
50 cats
50 ducks
12 guineafowls
50 dogs
50 chickens
10 donkeys
10 sheep
5 dwarf visitors
3 human visitors
Ah, it's the 1M gorlak explosion! And to a lesser extent, a plump helmet man spike.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14111 on: May 10, 2017, 03:03:52 am »

Thats one hell of a gorlak family reunion.

Theres got to be something behind that, maybe submit a bug report?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14112 on: May 10, 2017, 06:34:55 am »

I mostly keep bogeymen on for the access of getting that rare hard to pull off Zombie bogeymen companion, then realizing if I tell them to wait somewhere and enter the cackling they will die along with all the other bogeymen.
probably going to be a long search for a mod that makes a custom bogeyman that has an interaction that Removes the bogeyman token on bogeymen while if provoked gives folks that token so you end up having to deal with the Horrible Chance of Dying via vaporization when you try to end the cackling with the curse applied on you.
in my current adventure, I'm slowly working on a way to play any civ in fort mode with dfhack, hoping for the chance to plop a random Civ group then body swap into one of the citizens, all I need to do next is dfhack military access to them so I don't end up playing pacifist fort all the time.

edit: uhh in adventurey events, I loaded up an outsider beeperson (personal mod) and got plop into a camp since they didn't attack me, I ended up conning the leader out of his position through hackery means and now sitting on another save that I want to mess with to see if I can play off being a bandit leader looking into ways to send bandits off to raid towns then go there to 'rescue folks' only to recruit them to raid more towns.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:59:45 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14113 on: May 10, 2017, 07:04:09 am »

but dwarves (and every adventurer of every other race and civ) consider it immoral to use the skin and bones of such beautiful intelligent creatures people as like boogeymen as trophies.
:l

The parts you chop off don't disappear in smoke.

hoping for the chance to plop a random Civ group then body swap into one of the citizens, all I need to do next is dfhack military access to them so I don't end up playing pacifist fort all the time.
A true necromancer.

I ended up conning the leader out of his position through hackery means
Scumbag.

I started a crab man adventurer and got into a fist fight with a milker over the value of martial prowress. When he didn't agree with me, I snipped off his left hand to prove how serious I was. He then agreed with my argument and I left him be.
Convincing!

I'm training my dodging, shield mastery, ambusher and throwing skills to at least competent. All I need is some wood and I'll be ready to conquer* the polar goblin fortress. Actually my two companions are pretty loaded, so I may be able to fight a few bogeys.

*Survival not guaranteed
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:08:02 am by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username
« Reply #14114 on: May 10, 2017, 07:47:35 pm »

Man I never got robbed by bandits cause I had a million dorfbux in armor and weapons. I just punched and threw everyone to death. If you draw a weapon they will too and they are better at that than fighting unarmed.

Then after they surrendered I heavy kicked their brains out like a proper gentledwarf would after being disrespected.

If you draw a weapon they'll fuck you up. Read the dwarven martial art thread on the adv mode page.

I've never been robbed either. They usually just try to kill me, or completely ignore me. The head guy, the one who was actually making the demands of me, was the only NPC my adventurer had "known since birth" and was also my starting group's leader. So I'm not sure why he was trying to rob me. I think they were actually trying to arrest me for the assault on the milker. But there is no way in hell they should have known about that since the milker was unconscious when they arrived, no one else saw it and no one was there to say anything to the soldiers.

I ended up jumping over them, climbing up a tree and they ran passed but when I went to climb down, I slipped and died. lol
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:54:07 pm by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 1104