Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2054230 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14040 on: May 01, 2017, 07:33:13 pm »

After slaying the last one from a prone position my character refused to get up for a few moments due to being entirely exhausted from the battle.
Sounds like someone went without coffee this morning.
Uhoh, sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14041 on: May 01, 2017, 07:49:58 pm »

I began my first real adventure.

Erith Tiristather is a (hero) female human raised by dwarves who enjoys brawling most of all. She was given mostly basic survival skills (swimming, climbing, tracking, reading, dodging, knapping, ambushing and some strike) with no actual weapon skills. Bit of an RP going on at character creation. Upon awakening a goblin apparently declared it was time for a violent coup and everyone started taking sides and murdering each other in the fortress she was in. She noped right out of that and went to talk to the broker at the depot.

She was told about some kind of beast trubble, and I wasn't really reading it and figured it was a particularly angry cougar and set off to find it. Turns out it was a three-eyed fire breathing stegosaurus. You may recognize this as "definitely not a cougar".

After noping out of that too (hooray for taking points in stealth), she met Smatru, a Yeti recruit. Assuming this to be some kind of gruff but friendly anthropomorphic snow-friend, I went up to try and recruit it as Erith's first adventuring buddy. It promptly took a swing at her head.

Being quite frustrated at this point, Erith is now boxing a yeti. Her dodge skills and strike abilities are serving her well, and she has taken no hits but dished out plenty. She's actually winning a fistfight with a yeti.

UPDATE:
Erith beat the tar out of this yeti. She killed it and promptly began carving figurines of it out of its own bones. Turns out it is quite the famous yeti, having gone on multiple rampages (at least 3). It severely injured/ate many dwarves and also ate a lot of ducks? Specifically ducks.

Ducks everywhere will rejoice.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:46:38 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14042 on: May 01, 2017, 10:08:25 pm »

been trying some peasant lvl adventurers, most epic deaths have been fighting a troll recruit (need to improve with crossbows) and succumbing to a bandit wrestling onslaught after killing some of them (i had an alligator adventurer, i was expecting more in terms of bite power, but oh well).

most recent was a mosquito woman (flying OP) but the most i got was to suck blood from the lef of a bandit chief and get rekd afterwards.

EDIT: made an axolotl man with crossbow, lvld it to legendary and most things die in a few bolts, also got a companion but somehow the guy ran away after i found a pack of dingoes (what a pussy). no problem with boogeymen for now, it seems resting in a site doesnt call them. should earn me some time to get another companion from a nearby hillock.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:47:04 am by xaritscin »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14043 on: May 02, 2017, 03:20:55 am »

Some kid was just telling me how apparently dancing is the key to life... Wonder how right he is.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14044 on: May 02, 2017, 06:07:35 am »

Hillock Bim mimics mountain hall Bim, replacing the cave croc encounter with alligator wrestling. Like real world grappling where the smaller grappler uses a mobility game versus the larger grappler's strength/pressure game to outlast and tire out, Bim plays the exertion/penalty game against the alligator.

Pretty much the reason for making him an endurance—observer—dodger—build with above average endurance/willpower + the above average focus/intuition/kinesthetic sense to play against exertion effects and to buff his rolls.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bim starts off by spamming a multi-attack chain (grab teeth + bite lower body/head + dodge away). He's looking to cause nausea/KO and maximize his dodge roll.
When nausea is achieved, nerfing all alligator attacks, Bim shrinks the chain (grab teeth + bite lower body/head) to remain in the same tile.
When bites latch, they train wrestling. When a critter needs to break grips, this trains wrestling and begins adding to critter exertion.
Note: About the grab part of those attack chains. Grab isn't actually necessary since there's that dodge away, or when there's the nausea penalty it's even less helpful. I just had Bim work in the grabs to get a bit more wrestling XP.

Once the critter's unconscious due to over-exertion or KO, Bim punches its teeth out reducing the alligator to upper body push attacks.
When the gator revives, Bim gets on the ground and begins granby rolling about (just directional movement) to increase number of defensive opportunities, as penalties have been stacked (nausea + tired, and/or stunned) which guarantee misses.
It's just a deconstructed, atom by atom version of rolling around with wolves while holding several shields. But since it's with just one critter, no shield. In this way, Bim trains up dodger/observer to adequate.

Unlike wildly exploitive mountain hall Bim, who fought numerous cave crocs and offloaded them to avoid killing them (1HR sleep/wait), hillock Bim does the somewhat more narratively sound thing.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:55:47 am by peasant cretin »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14045 on: May 02, 2017, 12:37:50 pm »

This is very instructional!

My hero's tactics are gut punches combined with dodging. Time to learn about wrestling.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ember

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14046 on: May 03, 2017, 12:46:27 am »

My surprise encounter with a vampire lord... at the end of the first day of the game

it was moving 2 tiles to my 1 so i decided to fight
first line is when it got in range

not sure why learning those abilites came before the bite but w/e

also not sure if i have become a vampire as i haven't received the stat buffs of strength agility and toughness.. unless thats hidden and i did slaughter a group of bougeymen after i lost the vampire lord and recovered my stuff

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14047 on: May 03, 2017, 08:08:22 pm »

not sure why learning those abilites came before the bite but w/e
That's just the way Toady programed the game - effects are announced before causes. Opponents also drop stuff they're holding before you cut their hand off.
also not sure if i have become a vampire as i haven't received the stat buffs of strength agility and toughness.. unless thats hidden and i did slaughter a group of bougeymen after i lost the vampire lord and recovered my stuff
Yeah, that stat boost isn't displayed.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Ember

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14048 on: May 03, 2017, 08:59:09 pm »

I found out very quickly that yes i am a vampire, while it will make things easier for me, im not a vampire person XD
i take it that there is no way to uncurse myself?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14049 on: May 03, 2017, 10:36:03 pm »

I found out very quickly that yes i am a vampire, while it will make things easier for me, im not a vampire person XD
i take it that there is no way to uncurse myself?

Nope. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ember

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14050 on: May 04, 2017, 12:28:30 am »

wrong thread, though i did manage to decapitate a random archer from a criminal organization with one shot though im guessing thats easy against them
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:33:41 am by Ember »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14051 on: May 04, 2017, 12:33:37 am »

You cant actually put individual arrows back into a stack, but regardless the stack is treated just like an identical number of individual arrows by weight and for shooting purposes.

You can work on your strength attribute to be able to carry more. Fighting in melee works as does swimming, i think.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ember

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14052 on: May 04, 2017, 12:21:51 pm »

dwarf fortress is weird, i got into a brawl with a sea dragon by accident and it basically played with my adventurer for a bit before getting bored and is now completely ignoring me

this encounter sorta gave me an idea though
i have the Masterwork Pack installed, anyone know of how i would take over random critters IE dragons and other unnamed things with DF hack? or should i ask this elsewhere?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14053 on: May 04, 2017, 01:57:31 pm »

Got into a fight with a giant cheetah in a cave, then proceeded to be knocked down a nearby hole. Wandered into the caverns, killed a draltha for food, now I'm cutting down trees to make a small shack. Upon some random wandering I found the tube leading to the second cavern layer, likely going to do some hunting down there.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ember

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14054 on: May 04, 2017, 02:49:25 pm »

talk about luck, just created a new world when i realized my tileset wasnt loaded properly and causing crashes, and the first character i make starts with an awesome candy axe, though id does say its hafted sea raider axe so im not sure that counts

now i i need to find some armor
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1104