Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102811 times)

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
  • "Drop the hemp wool sock!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13695 on: February 13, 2017, 04:45:40 pm »

I'm currently running a wolf-woman, accomplished Axewolf and vampire-hunter.

She's was on the way to hunt an ettin if i remember correctly.

Long-term plan is to steal a necromancer's tablet and take each and every nearby town by force.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13696 on: February 13, 2017, 08:27:46 pm »

I got my KSBD mod functional with demiurges ruling civs and such, was testing to make sure they were made of the right materials so I found the queen Mottom and slew her, used the right bone template and such.

Was looking around at all the barons she had made and then everyone starts yakety-saxing around and I remember I had been trying to get the demiurges to resurrect in case they got killed by a camel or whatnot.

That's her sense creature icon in the lower left, the orange key-star shaped one.

The world-gen stuff doesn't work sadly, but they do come back when you kill them... so she's running around naked biting barons, one starts trying to hit me so I slash them away, testing out the idea I had for extra style with the swordswomen: having the super high melting/boiling point blade material injected with the attacks, which more accurately means it splashes and flows across the targets, making big clouds of black flame.

Awesome, then the chair exploded, whoops.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13697 on: February 13, 2017, 08:39:36 pm »

Started a game as a polar bear man, on the edge of a town neighbouring a tundra. Damn, they're strong. I'm carrying a barrel along filled with beer, as well as a chest of a few yaks work of meat, still hasn't slowed me down. Granted, all the armour is too small for me to wear. I'm walking around swinging a masterwork two hand sword I took off a sword master with one hand, and I feel like the shield I'm using is strapped to a finger instead of my arm or anything. I'm using the sword as a mercy, when I use my claws or punch/kick things get messy.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13698 on: February 14, 2017, 01:44:25 am »

I noticed you can use gm-editor on your inventory and move it so your shield is being wielded with your forearm like it was strapped in place, leaving that hand free, just throwing it out there.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13699 on: February 14, 2017, 01:48:29 am »

I noticed you can use gm-editor on your inventory and move it so your shield is being wielded with your forearm like it was strapped in place, leaving that hand free, just throwing it out there.

Wait, so I can dual wield while dual shielding?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13700 on: February 14, 2017, 05:42:21 am »

I got my KSBD mod functional with demiurges ruling civs and such, was testing to make sure they were made of the right materials so I found the queen Mottom and slew her, used the right bone template and such.

Was looking around at all the barons she had made and then everyone starts yakety-saxing around and I remember I had been trying to get the demiurges to resurrect in case they got killed by a camel or whatnot.

That's her sense creature icon in the lower left, the orange key-star shaped one.

The world-gen stuff doesn't work sadly, but they do come back when you kill them... so she's running around naked biting barons, one starts trying to hit me so I slash them away, testing out the idea I had for extra style with the swordswomen: having the super high melting/boiling point blade material injected with the attacks, which more accurately means it splashes and flows across the targets, making big clouds of black flame.

Awesome, then the chair exploded, whoops.

so you discovered that was really an angel posed as a throne?
kinda wonder how in the world are you going to tackle hashet om.
like out of all the stuff DF has it doesn't have trees that feed on the blood of maidens for fruit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

so far my adventures are mixed with either updating old scripts to work, and seeing if one could use max's fast travel teleport while unable to fast travel from a town
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13701 on: February 14, 2017, 11:31:15 am »

Interesting. Removing a hundred shields from your backpacks is funnier though, even if it precludes using a free hand for wrestling.

...I should mod in hecatoncheires as a playable species. Imagine how fifty pairs of arms (and fifty heads) would work.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: February 14, 2017, 01:12:20 pm »

Rum, I'm disappointed you didn't go for the obvious joke there, but I only thought of it afterwards myself: Topple the Gods and Murder their Thrones.

The equipped shield was my first try, with any item you can wear or sew in or strap on or wrap around or stuck in or keep as a pet or hold in mouth or wield as a weapon and you can do this with any body part.

I tried wearing the shield as armor but it doesn't let you block like that, but wielding it on a body part works fine, you could technically wear them all over your body but I went with forearm because it makes some sense.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13703 on: February 14, 2017, 09:24:46 pm »

Regenned a 1050 hidden world with new props as I wanted the silliness of being able to have my dwarf eat with a wooden spoon and carry around small pots and pans. I blame chancing upon the Rankin/Bass version of The Hobbit.

Rolled the same stout Goku-like knucklehead as before, who starts off in a mountain hall.
He's got some decent RNG as his sprint for an average-sized dwarf is 2.785.
Always feel pleased if sprint is a 2.77x or higher at that size. When it's under 2.75x, it's clear Armok wishes you ill.

This iteration of Num Muddyboots, who finds a pet olm before swimming to great, does the slow travel thing to the nearest fort and ends up library lucky.
That last run had no local libraries, and now this one is right here. At a loss now with all these books. Is it time to power-read them all? Probably not. Num's a worshiper of a goddess of rain, fertility, and whatnot so he knows what he'll read up on.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: February 14, 2017, 10:29:22 pm »

Running around with pots and pans and goblets is pretty cozy actually.

Also can't figure out how to get myself into travel mode while viewing the quest log, which is the only thing keeping me from submitting questport to the main dfhack (well, that and having to go clean my scripts) branch.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: February 16, 2017, 11:10:31 pm »

World map looked fairly awful. Enough of a reason to zap the world and regen a large 1050. Goodbye pet olm. Not quite as good as the pet pond turtle.

Much better map now. Rolled another stout dorf who managed to get a starting 2.840 sprint (above average strength, average agility).
Fun to see bigger numbers, but I don't think particularly meaningful. If high-range, average agility is the primary influence for a better sprint, still doesn't seem useful. If it's actual physical size, also doesn't seem useful. I've played dorfs who started at the low of 2.717, etc and they all end up having a sprint of 1.6/3.2 when at superdwarven str/agi. The 1.6 is all that really matters and that'll be the same for base run, too. And that's what, a 6 tick unencumbered movement cost per tile, versus the 9-10 ticks at 1.000 walking? Ah, mindless fiddlesticks.

Anyways  the beginnings of an Adventure Mode run are always the best part, especially when you try to play organically rather than from rote set up. While in the back of my mind there's roughly that carryover intention from a previous run to produce/witness 30 non-sentient deaths to reach the favored condition "doesn't care about anything anymore" to inure against feeling any horror, Num Muddyboots'll just see what happens when he gets out there. Definitely don't want the run to feel haphazard, rushed or worst of all, artificial.

For now there's just making sewing kit items, woodworking tools, and just getting starting supplies ready.

And yeah Max, much agreement, milling about with pots and pans and mugs and jugs and wooden spoons is very cozy.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:59:48 pm by peasant cretin »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: February 16, 2017, 11:15:54 pm »

Damn... After tramping around the world as a polar bear man, I was finally slain... A dragon, pack of giant wolves, wrestling a giant to the ground, beating my former rhino man adventurer in a wrestling match, taking over several towns and even a kingdom... A child was my end. A child saw me kill his father and the two swordmasters guarding him, then he pulled out his iron carving knife and slit my throat, then stabbed out an eye and cut off a hand. One more stab to the face and I was finished. Vengeance gave him the fury needed to defeat me.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13707 on: February 18, 2017, 12:55:50 am »

Num Muddyboots exits fortress Bowlstaff and slow travels westward into hillock Sensetombs.

One of the ways to cheat the dangers of slow travel when you haven't populated your quest map with lairs, is to occasionally pop into the fast travel map, so you can check for asterisks ahead, the occupied/abandoned/ruined status of the buildings in hillock or hamlet (which can denote bandit presence) or if you're in the vicinity of a site, you'll see a zoom-in and/or be met with a message indicating that you cannot fast travel until you exit the site.

While any of us can do what we want, using the fast travel map to get a read on the area, defeats the purpose of using slow travel's cues: odor to check for night trolls, ambusher to view vision fields and what those fields are attached to, tracks to see footprints/grass destruction, whatever surrounding area information you've heard, and that you weren't speeding through an announcement that you've entered a site and only noticed 10 tiles in.

In hillock Sensetombs, Num follows the frozen waterway northward then meanders into The Forest of Bowels to climb a tree and to sleep.
He'll hunt in the morning as the critters he's seeking aren't nocturnal. Prior to sleep, he checks the visible vision cones. There's an eagle and a falcon and the sasquatch Snosnusgoz!
Num had heard about this sasquatch and really didn't know where he might be in The Forest of Bowels. The quest map says The Forest of Bowels is X number of tiles. The world fast travel map says Y and roughly that's what Num would keep to if he were using both fast and slow travel modes to zero in on this sasquatch. But without getting a site announcement in slow travel mode, coming across Snosnusgoz is pure randomness, aside from vision field check.

The easy way to find Snosnusgoz would have been to ask for directions to the lair, check the lair/the asterisk near the lair and slay him, but when you do that it's all kind of predetermined and often times at the beginning, it also means you don't know the area your character is in.

After a flight of 30 shale arrows (which do little but bruise and bone break), spear bashing, punching and grappling, Snosnusgoz succumbs to exhaustion. While Snosnusgoz is a non-sentient and can be turned into food, Num burns his corpse in a pyre.
Overall Num's evolving nicely and the beginning of this run has had a tight structure. Sometimes you kind of scattershot your character's development and it just makes no sense. But here, it's been organic.
The express emotions menu is a pretty good way to monitor when and how things have happened.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:38:29 pm by peasant cretin »

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: February 18, 2017, 12:12:53 pm »

I recently found out that in masterwork, if you're playing as a night creature, boogeymen, although they still impede on traveling and sleep, won't actually attack you. They'll attack EVERYTHING ELSE EXCEPT YOU AND EACHOTHER.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13709 on: February 18, 2017, 12:44:38 pm »

That happens with any type of creature that has NOFEAR.
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 1104