Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102848 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13680 on: February 04, 2017, 10:44:54 pm »

Wait... do floor grates actually let the damn smoke out? Why didn't I try this?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13681 on: February 04, 2017, 11:52:57 pm »

I used to leave a hole in the ceiling to let the smoke out until a raven entered the building and then began installing floor grates.

EDIT: Decided to renovate. Used rock salt logs for the kitchen floor as white stands out. Kept some areas sandy to sop up water tracked in from the outside. Also as anyone might have noticed, I tend to have a preference for keeping naturally occurring slopes as these are "waterproof" and cannot have campfires set on them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Like all rangers Num doesn't use a bed, but it made sense to make his sleeping quarters furthest away from any entryway and used the double door set up as a so-called method of security.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:07:41 am by peasant cretin »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13682 on: February 05, 2017, 01:45:36 pm »

that said, this mod max working on going to completely lead to someone mixing this with the other total conversion mods...
oh one probably dip into syndromes acting as markers for scripts, like say a curse that once applied on someone they have set amount of ticks to cure themselves of the curse or they just take a launch setting them 500,000,000 of force aiming down.

oh and animated how the punt.lua script looks like in use.

okay so in weird news it seems like there were 3 gangs and the remaining gang member was apart of the group I was supposed to flush out of a town.
so yeah wanna have fun with bandits look up which gang they follow and see if you could lure 2 factions roam close to each other.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13683 on: February 05, 2017, 08:37:55 pm »

Gangfights are fun. Also fun when you have [LOCAL_BANDITRY] in a site which has a bandit problem, leading the local group to the out of town bandits and let them murder each other.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13684 on: February 05, 2017, 09:20:48 pm »

Got revenge on the hydra! It's now left in it's den, with only one head and it's back legs, I absolutely slaughtered it. Being a vampiric polarbearman has it's benefits I guess. Decided to let it suffer with it's injuries, penance for killing a guy I spent four hours playing.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13685 on: February 06, 2017, 11:40:56 pm »

Continued renovating. Double doors seem fun, so Num adds one to the entryway. Vaguely thought about using a triple door set up in that corridor. That being the only Adventure Mode trap you can build versus critters who might follow you inside, but cannot open doors. In theory you could lead a hydra out to a 5x5 site of all doors and trap it there. But if you can do that, defend while directionally moving 1 tile at a time, it becomes less of a trap and more silly mechanical sleight of hand.
Anyways, wanted to minimize unused tile space as Num began working with the idea that every tile was meaningful in some way. It seems the balance struck is between avoiding clutter to the point were there's that extreme degree of quantum stockpiling everything, and having too many empty tiles.

Afterwards, Num makes the fast travel journey south to mountain range, The Walls of Enchanting, to visit fortresses Mobpages, Frillystandards, Goldenparched and Tattoofortress. As luck would have it, no libraries. The ruined hillocks and fortresses in this part of the range suggest something unpleasant.
When asking about the surrounding area, Num is met with many mentions of various beast and several melee units.

He decides to travel north to Auntpoem, a coastal town. Maybe the humans might have a library?
Before leaving, Num hunts for a pack of wolves as he's very close to hitting level 3 dodger.
In a way similar to how training to competent swimmer allows for some margin of error with waterways (1 z-lvl drops no longer cause floundering), having either competent dodger or shield user does the same versus the base level bandit. Usually I'd prefer 3:3, but Num ends up with a 3:2 competent dodger:adequate shield user. The prep is worth it as the small town of Auntpoem is littered with books, enough to take novice reader to competent.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13686 on: February 07, 2017, 05:50:23 am »

meanwhile in the dark streets I got caught in a fight with a vampire elf as an minotaur looking for a gang.

and got to test out what would happen if you stand over a huge pile of items and used that punt script.
ended up throwing a solid beam of clothing and armor at the elf vamp it didnt kill them just horribly mutilated them
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13687 on: February 07, 2017, 06:29:20 am »

Got to face a minotour wielding a bronze halberd... Guy was terrifying, decapitated my archer who decided punching was the best method, gored my pikeman to death, and then barely missed me a few times, before I finally wrestled his weapon away and then proceeded to stab his neck open.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13688 on: February 07, 2017, 09:09:25 pm »

a solid beam of clothing and armor
That's the fuckiest thing I've heard in a long time.

I've started a new adventurer, standard human swordsman who worships a god that let a demon into the world. However, this time I'm doing a light armor run - the only armor allowed is chest and head armor. Also, I am allowed to DFhack away a severed motor nerve if I also get rid of a severed sensory nerve.

I am so scarred already. I even have a scourge in my leg.

I just finished killing a colossal hedgehog with webs. I climbed a shrine pillar and shot it to death. It took almost a hundred arrows.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13689 on: February 07, 2017, 11:25:53 pm »

Came out west leaving all that ruin behind. Num ends up site scouting through The Reputed Forests.
As usual he is searching for a site with 3 natural walls, with hopefully the 4th requiring maybe just one or two tiles of wall and door. Tracing a path above a river, he finds an enclosure that is about 4 z-levels from water.
A nice Castle in The Sky house set into a cliff sort of look, but this location is riddled with lag.

Heading away from the river's lag, Num finds what he's looking for.
After making a pile of 50 highwood logs, he begins constructing a structure designed to obstruct easy pathing by staggering alternating wall tile/floor tile in a diagonal pattern:
1st z-level entry is a diagonal line of 3 doors leading NE. 2nd z-lvl entry has a hatch cover, then a line of 2 doors leading to the structure's center. Floor grate marks where a perpetual campfire is set. While site incursion normally excludes entry once the structure is closed off, the alternating wall/floor pattern allows for making the most of dodge positioning. General movement is all bishop-diagonal goodness.

During construction, the site is invaded by cave swallow ranged and melee units equipped with nice cavern level 2 and 3 wood items.
Num manages to avoid killing any of them during the build. A cave swallow bowwoman does gain entry through a roofless tile, but weaving through the alternating wall/floor pattern blocks her vision cone and leads to the line of 3 doors which allows Num to exit the structure. At that point, I realize alternating wall/door is the best defense for Adventure Mode, though the character would be restricted to stand ground/stand ground defense versus those who can open doors. If there's enough space, you could drop in a few campfires to further control pathing.

Once the structure is complete, there's another attack. At first it seems the cave swallow maceman and the cave swallow blowgunner cannot gain entry using the floor hatch. Num enters talk with the blowgunner and this leads him inside. Sliding behind a wooden pillar, Num loses him and exits westward via the line of 3 doors.
There he fast travels to reset their positions. He doesn't want to have to kill anyone if there's another way, which he soon discovers.

Their positions reset, Num enters the structure, begins talking with the cave swallow maceman and has him join for adventure.
Num repeats this process and recruits the cave swallow bowwoman twice as initially she remained hostile.
His luck runs out with the blowgunner who joins, but then reverts to hostility.

Num's not all too sure what he should do now. Should he keep them on? This will most assuredly lead to their deaths. Or should he take them west to fortress Frillystandards and leave them in cavern level one?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13690 on: February 07, 2017, 11:33:50 pm »

I just cut the eyelid off a cyclops. From behind.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13691 on: February 07, 2017, 11:49:05 pm »

Decided I'd work with only one companion, an axedwarf I found with a *steel battleaxe*, took him to one of my old forts to get him a suit of armour, as well as to fill some flasks with blackberry and strawberry wine. I happened to borrow a pair of masterwork steel short swords from the fort, though of course dwarven armour was to small to fit me. We've set out, on a journey to do nothing in particular... Just find fame and glory.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13692 on: February 09, 2017, 05:15:44 am »

Just assaulted a tower, it was so easy, I'd just decapitate the zombie then slice the resulting zombie head into gore. I killed every necromancer with a stab to the face, after demanding they stand down. Only one agreed to, but my companion still cut him down. I couldn't find the slab, but I found a book containing the secrets of life and death. Alas, my champion cannot read, so my current goal is to drop it down on the ground of my fortresses library, in hopes some scholars will read it and write their own little novellas of raising heads off pikes. Thankfully becoming a vampire doesn't require reading, and that's my next goal. Going to check the local temples, usually find vampires there.

In other news, I've started building a house for me and my axe dwarf. We have the flooring for the first floor done, and have started on the walls. Planning on making it a three story, 8x16 house, where we'll store barrels of water and beer, food, and items, such as all the coins I get selling bone carvings, and the gems I occasionally buy.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13693 on: February 09, 2017, 02:58:12 pm »

Num was initially ferrying both cave swallow people to fortress Frillystandards. Take them back to the caverns.

Along the way there was an encounter with 2 packs of wolves. At first, the cave swallow maceman was doing very well. He killed two wolves, but like all melee AIs, he became overeager and rushed headlong into the 2nd pack and found the warrior's death he had been seeking.

Num gets his first taste of grief, so he heads back to camp Cloudyarrows to build a casket out of highwood.
Nums return to the place where the maceman was struck down and buries him with all his belongings on that tile.

The plan is off track now. Num decides to keep the cave swallow bowwoman on. Instead of Frillystandards, they head to hillock Ragslaps where she ammos up. When they return camp Cloudyarrows, Num manages to recruit the blowgunner.

Num leaves them both in charge of Cloudyarrows and slow travels westward to scout The Steppe of Souls.
It's there that he finds a site that allows for a naturally walled in yard covered by a peach tree. And he gets to set up the alternating wall/door site defense at the front gate and the front door.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13694 on: February 12, 2017, 10:28:35 pm »

Visited one of my former forts, as a human. Walked up to the militia commander and punched him in the face. He proceeded to punch me in the upper body and bruise my lungs, then drew his sword and decapitated me in one stroke. Well damn, guess he's pretty tough...
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1104