Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102912 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13635 on: January 23, 2017, 08:41:19 am »

Two weeks later and I'm a hearthsperson of the same camp. Our brooding ogre wife is still here hanging out by the body of my last adventurer which she impaled on a coconut palm spear while I was away.

Rallying the camp's cowardly hunters we pile on in a flurry of arrows and body parts. Finally, after having resorted to throwing the coconut spear at it, to limited effect, I managed to crawl over and kick the damn thing to death. First kill for this adventurer.

But the killings not over yet. As the elves bury their slain we realise that the brooding ogre wife was in fact once the princess of our civ. Nothing for it but to gather some friends and hunt down the bastard that did this to her.

Hopefully I can fast-travel my hip back into place...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: January 23, 2017, 10:08:15 am »

I killed 11 vile ogres in a single day. The next day I killed 9. I have now almost eradicated vile ogres in particular and night creatures in general from the world.

EDIT: Rismal just went through a vault, got the slab, read the slab, threw it into a volcano, went to a different demon's dark fortress, and killed said demon. I have discovered a new strategy for killing demon masters with an edged weapon. Focus everything on their left foot. When the armor breaks and you've cut their foot, switch to their upper body. Hack them until they bleed to death.

Also Rismal is a vampire because the first time I tried that strategy, he got tired and the demon ate his legs. He has mixed feelings about this. On one hand, he's become the very thing he hates - a night creature. On the other hand, as long as long as he only preys on those who prey on the weak, he should be fine... right?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:02:43 pm by TheFlame52 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: January 23, 2017, 04:59:16 pm »

found having a shield and a open hand works best for when you need to snap a neck and not worry about the repercussions of failing to attack
so in messing with arena news, I finally went and played around with the fact you can plant trees and use those trees to create floors in that weird void room if you dfhack cut them down. and the process seems to make a hole in the void area.

that all said saving these arenas are very very unstable some times you get it some times you don't others you just wont load if you select it.
but some day someone will figure out how to expand the world and or load up site worlds with dfhack.
I already expanded it, build up high enough to reach the ledge at the southern edge, build a camp there, keep building and you move that way.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: January 23, 2017, 11:26:34 pm »

Went ahead and genned a hidden history 1050 large island world with the new reactions in play.

A worshipper of weather, Num Muddyboots starts off in the Civic Mound of hillock Drinkabbey which is located in a northern taiga.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Num's stout peasant dwarf with no weapon skill, clocking a very nice 2.770 sprint speed (the supposition is he's gotten good RNG with base above average strength or base average agility, and maybe being in the high end for this size range). Skill-wise, he's a novice fighter/observer/shield user/dodger and high patience.

After having a quick look at his inventory, he begins asking mayor Vucar Metalboard (a fine Leiji Matsumoto name) about the surrounding area. Vucal's vocal catalog: porcupines, a tomb for a human, the routing of a site by a dragon, a wolf with a history, ravens, a goblin immigrant who settled in hillock Oarcontains, site foundings, outcasts, black bears in The Speechless Forest, giant kingsnakes, great horned owls, a hydra's former dinner plans, grizzly bears in the Singed Jungle, red pandas, etc. There's no mention of melee or ranged units, so there are no bandits nearby.
As a result, instead of having to make a shield, Num'll pick one up at the local meadhall.

Num heads outside and begins working out the odds and ends. He checks the plants to see what he can forage. Nothing has edible growths at this point, which is early spring. He makes rock salt block from a rock salt rock and a handful of red sand, and then from the block, a -rock salt jug- for flavorful water. Of course, before filling the jug with water, he looks into a mound to see if there are any plants that could be turned into booze.
Well, stage one's almost complete. Next on the list is finding a shield, followed by getting in some swimming at the closest fortress---at least to Talented (level 6), the minimum for allowing the greatest margin of error when interacting with water, and also perhaps pick up a padded coat of some sort.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: January 24, 2017, 02:34:17 am »

found having a shield and a open hand works best for when you need to snap a neck and not worry about the repercussions of failing to attack
so in messing with arena news, I finally went and played around with the fact you can plant trees and use those trees to create floors in that weird void room if you dfhack cut them down. and the process seems to make a hole in the void area.

that all said saving these arenas are very very unstable some times you get it some times you don't others you just wont load if you select it.
but some day someone will figure out how to expand the world and or load up site worlds with dfhack.
I already expanded it, build up high enough to reach the ledge at the southern edge, build a camp there, keep building and you move that way.
oh I got access to dfhack so I could just mode set adv fast travel around the small map. but will test this for later.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: January 24, 2017, 08:13:26 am »

Oh, a curious happening.
My last adventurer was killed, having started his questing days in the middle of a night troll attack. He was then impaled on a coconut palm spear.

So my current adventurer just decided to tell some folk a story about it.

According to my story, it wasn't the night troll who impaled the previous me, but my own friends and family of the South Silk. No doubt they were intending to roast me once the night troll had moved on. Such is the ways of elves. :(

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: January 24, 2017, 12:19:12 pm »

After Rismal killed that demon, he rescued all the kids from the prisons. Most of them made it out alive. He spent ages delivering them all to their parents, and grew so bloodthirsty that he was jogging at the same pace everyone else walked. Eventually, after he had delivered most of the kids, he managed to sneak away and murder a bunch of dungeon bandits. It took two whole humans to slake his blood thirst.

Now he's down to a single child. Before he delivers said child, he's going to clear the two vaults that are on his way there.

EDIT: Rismal cleared the two vaults. The second one didn't have a slab, but that doesn't matter because the demon is dead. He dropped off the last child, found a lead flask that he turned into a lead warhammer, and now he's fighting about 50 angry bandits at once. The game froze because of all their attacks.

EDIT2: Rismal killed all those bandits in a huge battle that involved a lot of hammer-to-the-spine. It was awesome. They tried to retreat, but it was no use! Rismal had already broken all their spines! He chased down the ones that fled and killed them too. Then he went looking for the camp that could supply so many warriors.

Oh boy did he find it. Legends Viewer says 79 but exterminate says 552 humans, goblins, and dwarves. Supposedly it's a refugee camp made up of survivors of a conquered human nation, but those survivors have been breeding.

And the loot, oh god the loot. On a single tile there's enough coinage to let a man and his descendants live in luxury until the heat death of the universe, and that's not even counting the miscellaneous valuables. And that's on ONE TILE. THERE ARE 44 TILES.

And now all the kids and peasants are running around like chickens with their heads cut off because I alarmed them. I'm sprinting but the game is going at a crawl. BUT I WANT THAT LOOT. ALL OF IT. IT'S MINE NOW.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:59:19 pm by TheFlame52 »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: January 24, 2017, 06:19:48 pm »

Num Muddyboots initially heads west, but when he sees two asterisks circulating around the sole western hamlet, he switches direction and travels eastward.
In the eastern hamlet Chainedtook, Num finds a few books scattered about and a stack of rope reeds in a bag. He processes two rope reed into thread. In Chainedtook's meadhall, The Entangled Nail, among various weapons, Num acquires much needed alpaca/sheep/llama wool yarn and a copy of Question Caspa Bravemansions, an essay he had read in one of the houses in Chainedtook.
Num avoids taking first editions as they belong to someone else. The other hamlets in the area are less eventful, save for hamlet Sparkbristle.

After spending some time (several days) checking Sparkbristle's waterway at different times, Num realizes it does not freeze during daylight, or well into the night, so he does his swimming aboveground in the cold. When he reaches Talented (level 6) swimmer, the minimum for allowing the greatest margin of error when interacting with water, he begins holding his breath in underwater for durations while passing beneath a 4 tile foot bridge (drowning while swimming) with 2 tile air breaks on either side. Once at Expert swimmer (level 8) with High Toughness and High Endurance, he takes a break for the day at Sparkbristle's meadhall, The Banded Admirer, where he finds a nice ≡silver whip≡. The next day he swims two levels to Accomplished and stops there with Toughness and Endurance reaching superior just before that level change.
Besides training, Num crafts a -plum wood bow- and turns an +ashen bucket+ into a home for his new familiar, a pond turtle. Not quite what other rangers tend to have, but one imagines if Aragorn were more like the original Goku this might be the result.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:23:46 pm by peasant cretin »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13643 on: January 24, 2017, 07:58:23 pm »

Rismal's backpack weighs 71,000 kg and he isn't even halfway through the loot stack. The first tile reduced him to 0.01 speed. However, it seems like most of the lag was from all the items. It gets better as he picks up more loot.

EDIT: The loot totals out to 177,000 kg. I'm going to go to a nearby abandoned town to sort and stash it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:56:37 pm by TheFlame52 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: January 25, 2017, 03:11:20 am »

Rismal's backpack weighs 71,000 kg and he isn't even halfway through the loot stack. The first tile reduced him to 0.01 speed. However, it seems like most of the lag was from all the items. It gets better as he picks up more loot.

EDIT: The loot totals out to 177,000 kg. I'm going to go to a nearby abandoned town to sort and stash it.
and not just build a camp to store the whole thing? with chests and a throne?
"body swapping and YOU!"

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13645 on: January 25, 2017, 05:01:35 pm »

Having gotten swimming out of the way, with 5 found mediocre books in tow, Num makes the journey northwest to wrestle bears and hunt wolves. After finding his first bear, he begins staying at hillock Fortresswaves, which is in the vicinity of The Speechless Forest, The Singed Jungle, and The Jungles of Carnality. With a collection of sewing tools made from black bear bone and a backstrap loom, Num crafts a full set of woolen clothing and a padded defensive coat from the recently weaved rope reed cloth.

In slow travel mode, Num has ambusher on to spot vision fields from a distance, tracing the waterways, randomly waiting for the right vision cone to appear attached to a capital B or the much harder to see lowercase white w.
All but two of the encounters occur near streams. The rivers are filled with harmless aquatic life. The mountain range is dotted with yaks and goats. It's a back and forth affair; after each encounter Num hauls bear and wolf corpses to hillock Fortresswaves to keep movement speed high.

An unknown number of days and nights passes between hillock and forests; Num crosses into the territory of 20-30** non-sentient kills. Not sure what the exact numbers are for "doesn't care about anything anymore" as I didn't check Num until he hit 24, where he hit that benchmark. While "doesn't care about anything anymore" won't inoculated against great fear after experiencing trauma, whether from significant injury or from the first sentient death, it inures, removing the horror factor from sentient death, leaving only the fear. Num may never suffer a physical injury, but he'll ultimately take a sentient life somewhere down the line.

In all, Num takes down 3 black bears, 2 grizzly bears, and 19 wolves. So far only the first black bear was broken down into meat, bones and leather. The rest remain refrigerated in the snow on 3 stacks of 3 ice. It'll thaw in the mornings, but will freeze at night.

NOTE: Edit in green.

**EDIT 1/26/16: Just did a little small world test with a human who killed 25 cats. Only got to hardened individual. Maybe it was because cats are domesticated or because they are small? A previous dwarf, who was the basis for Num's above crossing (from early Dec), killed 30 wolves and bovines. He reached doesn't care, but he was only checked after 30. It's kind of a shame when Num was at 17, he came across 7 wolves. I wonder what influences the numbers? I mean it takes 17 shots for a zero skill range character to hit novice versus critters/L1 bandits. Not quite an even number.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:37:13 am by peasant cretin »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: January 25, 2017, 06:45:11 pm »

and not just build a camp to store the whole thing? with chests and a throne?
That is the eventual plan, but first I'm going to sort it all and then get me a demon waifu. This one's a blood-sucking humanoid capybara. I'm going to see if I can get it to suck my blood so I can have a VAMPIRE DEMON.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: January 25, 2017, 09:51:53 pm »

so currently set lance as the adventurer and send them off to find a bandit group hopefully to see if any of the bandits have kills to their name.
"body swapping and YOU!"

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: January 26, 2017, 12:11:38 am »

Num Muddyboots visits fortress RoughLobsters which is just east of hillock Fortresswaves. Sadly, there isn't a library, but Num stays to have a drink and a quick chat before heading out.

In The Forests of Plaiting, just before the river becomes a stream, he encounters two alligators and stats up to high strength after a few spear stabs.
He doesn't quite want to kill needlessly, and tries to fend them off before fast traveling to help them get away. He does sacrifice 16 bronze arrows and a -rock salt jug- filled with prickle berry wine in order to do so. When he returns to the area, the site has offloaded those items and decides against reconstituting them. A bargain really.

Fulfilling the dream of seeing the great natural places of the world seems both easy to try but at the same time, never ending. Num's been to 3 waterfalls so far.
In the express emotions screen a thing will only show up once, given whatever it might be. There are a few entries for inebriation due to the different booze types. He's living a pretty fulfilled dwarven life so far.

He'll head west for a bit, skirting the ruined hillocks to the west and end up back in the woods.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13649 on: January 27, 2017, 07:07:18 pm »

Well, I loaded up my dwarf adventurer with masterwork armor, as well as The Scholary Nail, an artifact steel longsword, as well as a good amount of blackberry wine and tiger meat. Trecking down to the ground level, I was immediately greeted by a giant cheetah, whom I cut down in two quick strokes, one to the tail and then to the neck. Upped my speed to job as I was moving horrendously slow, and then started getting hungry. Ate some cheetah meat I'd just earned and drank some wine, then continued on my way. This area's completely empty, the only thing for miles is my fortress. I've been set upon by bogeys twice now, though their attacks are simply deflected off my armour.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1104