Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104137 times)

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13365 on: December 23, 2016, 12:10:06 pm »

So I killed the demon master and pretty much eradicated all goblin life in the world. All that's left to do is rescue the prisoners. Should I do it, or are they bugged? I've never done this before so I don't know what to expect.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13366 on: December 23, 2016, 12:30:40 pm »

So I killed the demon master and pretty much eradicated all goblin life in the world. All that's left to do is rescue the prisoners. Should I do it, or are they bugged? I've never done this before so I don't know what to expect.

I read they were bugged. Apparently the parents start beating the rescued children to death because they're still flagged as part of an enemy civ or something like that.

Also, how old is your world?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13367 on: December 23, 2016, 12:32:54 pm »

Num Muddyboots journeys to a ruined fortress to confront Amas Seducescaves the Poisoned Seducer, the forgotten beast. Beware its poisonous vapors.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As ill fortune would have it, Amas was not found in a spacious workshop, but in the corner of a 4 tile bedroom.
I barely remember fighting against something with vapors, but I do remember Uzu Bash talking about how vapor spreads, which is to say it may be somewhat similar to the spread of dust or dragonfire. So it's all tick by tick and the goal will be to limit exposure to the vapor.

Num stands in the doorway and passes one tick at a time hoping Amas will become active and hostile. Num turns ambusher on and off. Amas seems content to sit in the corner. Out of ambusher, Num's movement speed is base sprint at 1.5 and it's likely Amas' could be at base sprint of a large beast (?). Num can't move forward the 1 tile to close distance, because he might give Amas a free attack and get caught in an unanswered burst of poisonous forgotten beast extract. Or both Amas and Num could move into the same tile and one of them will end up prone, if hostilities haven't been declared. It's no different than any movement in a crowded room were one will remain standing as the other crawls around when two enter the same tile. Given Num's stats, being prone here could be fatal, particularly if it's the result of a charge as the stun effect's penalty halves your skill stats.
Amas is level 6 across all significant stats. Num's shield user is just equal to the task at level 6, dodger is only level 4, but fighter is level 15, so it's all right that spear is at level zero.

So, Num begins tossing arrows, hoping to either strike Amas, grounding him/her, cause Amas to become hostile, or kill Amas outright. Amas is inactive the whole time arrows are slung, but is kept on the ground after all 28 arrows are spent. Now Num is several times faster at 1.5, can't be knocked down and stunned due to a charge, and the risk of poisonous vapor is at its lowest (if such a thing could be said). Num moves 1W (combat preference set to auto-strike, if Amas is hostile) and nothing happens. Armed with a +copper spear+ that he'll use for all non-sentients, Num then multi-attacks with the combo quick attack (4 ticks total) + dodge away (6 ticks total), 1E back into the doorway (which only remains open for 9 ticks). Num wants to structure the fight around the doorway with this 10 tick combat combo as this limits his contact with the burst of poisonous forgotten beast extract should it be triggered moving him in the same turn to the doorway and allows him, while using quick attack + dodge away, to pull Amas down the corridor.

Back in the doorway, he passes one tick to see if Amas begins moving. With an inactive NPC, it's never known when they will act. They may simply die due to strikes. Or in one horrible sequence, you can pay for your complacency. Num repeats the multi-attack combo. Eventually Amas responds with a burst of vapor, but since Num is using that specific multi-attack combo, he dodges to the doorway avoiding the vapor.
He leads Amas down the corridor, quick-attacking and dodging away. Num repeats the quick attack + dodge away combo until Amas is mortally wounded.
Num repeatedly jumps backwards when his turn to act arrives, waiting for Amas to bleed out.

There was the slight chance he could have been caught in a burst, but keeping to 4 ticks of quick attack and the 6 ticks of dodge away, he minimized his time near Amas, allowing him to escape contact. A little bit of structure and quite a bit of luck.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:29:09 pm by peasant cretin »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13368 on: December 23, 2016, 08:56:01 pm »

I am glad I read that, even though I'm wielding an iron maul that's going to be way slower than your spear.

After spreading that rumor in Fatedhold, Ithev Girderscribe recruited a spearman named Rimtil Foldedstreams and went home to Frosthearth. There's two Frosthearths. There's the settlement itself, and there's the main hall. I named both that way. Built a single room with space for a bed and some furniture, for one of my companions, but I'm working on a redesign of the whole camp into a fortified village/training barracks. I hit a serious windfall.

See, one of my companions told me about a bandit clan working out of a nearby hillock. We rolled out, did an all nighter and slept a few hours before hitting the hillock. We found it empty. After hours of wandering around the abandoned hillock, we found the drinking mound. Jackpot. Two bags of plump helmets. I only took one just yet, filled with 86 helmets. I figured I'd forget the bandits for now, roll on into a couple hamlets close by, and tell them about killing that night spouse before recruiting some more people. Luck put the actual bandit camp right in my path. I slowed down, went into stealth, and easily found the Overlord, asleep in the open and facing away from me. I found him wearing a turban and a hood, so I smashed his head in. The first time left him alive but paralyzed, so I finished him for a mix of mercy and reputation.

When I finish with these two hamlets, I'm revisiting that drinking mound and looting the rest of the stuff from there before going home and rebuilding the place into a proper settlement.

ETA: Far bigger windfall than expected. Many bags of helmets, not just two. I nabbed them all and gave them to others in my party (now six strong) for safekeeping so I wouldn't be slowed.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 09:22:33 pm by Urist McVoyager »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13369 on: December 23, 2016, 11:02:11 pm »

I am glad I read that, even though I'm wielding an iron maul that's going to be way slower than your spear.

Your maul is the same speed as the spear. Quick attack is just a combat modifier, which subtracts 1 tick from the prepare and 1 from the recover, so you could run the same set up, paired with the 6 tick dodge away if you wanted.

Repost:
The raws tell us most weapons and natural attacks (punches, bites, gores, etc.) are ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3 which is to say 6 ticks long in terms of time. Two exceptions to this, kicks and whip attacks, are ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:4:4.

Aimed attacks will add or subtract from the PREPARE_AND_RECOVER.

The types of aimed weapon/natural attacks are:
Quick Attack  subtracts 1 tick from both the PREPARE_AND_RECOVER
Standard Attack  does not add or subtract anything from PREPARE_AND_RECOVER
Heavy Attack  will add 1 tick to both the PREPARE_AND_RECOVER
Precise Attack  will add *2* ticks to the PREPARE and 0 ticks to RECOVER
Wild Attack  subtracts 1 tick from the PREPARE, but adds *2* ticks to RECOVER

The fastest offensive maneuver (whether Quick Attack or Grab) will have a PREPARE_AND_RECOVER of 2:2, while the slowest will be some type of modified kick/whip attack.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13370 on: December 23, 2016, 11:13:25 pm »

Well cool on that. I'll keep it in mind for fighting poisoners.

In the meantime, I've secured one of the bags of plump helmets inside my extra barrel at Frosthearth. Work is progressing well on the wall but is going to be fun to finish considering the size of the design just for the wall itself will take thousands of wood to complete. I am probably going to hunt around for more help somewhere else while the others continue their work. And of course the countryside is going to be deforested completely for whole embark spaces around by the end of me building this.

I can't wait for the days when we can make properly functioning fortresses in Adventure mode and actually USE the countryside we chop bare.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13371 on: December 24, 2016, 05:26:48 am »

Does anybody know what effects these have on power and accuracy?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13372 on: December 24, 2016, 06:49:49 am »

Quick does less damage (I noticed piercing attacks get stuck less often this way), heavy can mangle beyond recognition, clove asunder or even loop off things with more ease. When I use piercing weapons with precise attacks, I hit organs way more often than using fast or heavy on the same body parts. Apparently wild can do even more damage, but I don't use it often given how long it takes.

But those are my observations. Dunno if there's a chart in the raws that describe how each type of attack affects the calculations.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13373 on: December 24, 2016, 08:00:22 am »

Damage/power values from Toady's DF Talk 21: http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_talk_21_transcript.html and Urist Da Vinci's incredibly useful Combat mechanics (pulping) and material/creature properties [0.40.xx] thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142372.msg5580805#msg5580805 have mostly overlapping info.

Here's Urist Da Vinci's:
Quick Attack  subtracts 1 tick from both the PREPARE_AND_RECOVER --> Momentum x0.5
Standard Attack  does not add or subtract anything from PREPARE_AND_RECOVER --> Momentum +/-0
Heavy Attack  will add 1 tick to both the PREPARE_AND_RECOVER --> Momentum x1.5
***Precise Attack  will add ~2~ ticks to the PREPARE and 0 ticks to RECOVER --> Momentum is same as standard
Wild Attack  subtracts 1 tick from the PREPARE, but adds *2* ticks to RECOVER --> Momentum x1.5

***The main area where Toady and Urist Da Vinci differ is over precise attack's damage boost.

Right now, I don't remember seeing accuracy modifiers.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13374 on: December 25, 2016, 01:43:18 pm »

I finished chopping down all the trees at Frosthearth, grabbed a good night's sleep, and hiked south back to Fatedhold. Scoured the houses and secured five more followers. Brought them back home to Frosthearth and we all worked to finish off the second level of the walls. So that's all done now. I'll have to run around securing more wood, and I'm not sure how I want to go about that.

The least time consuming from in-game view would be just running outside and cutting the trees near the entrances. The easiest from a player standpoint would be settling the areas right next to the fortress and building/dismantling walls right next door to move the logs in a hurry.

Thanks to killing goblins, I have the nickname The Poetic Plait.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 01:58:56 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13375 on: December 26, 2016, 10:11:05 am »

Well, the Cold Knight is officially expanding. I've begun harvesting trees from the surrounding area, and a small "siege" of local soldiers, civilians, and animals is resting outside our southern entrance. Nobody's gotten aggressive, so I took the opportunity for a recruitment run. Five of the besiegers are now official hearthpeople of The Cold Knight, though I think only one has actually entered the fort proper. The others are sitting in siege mode for now.

Do I need to do something to get them inside, or just wait out this siege?

And I learned that my current fame level seems to support only 11 followers. Just means I should go out in a small group and kill more bad things.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13376 on: December 27, 2016, 01:35:02 am »

@Urist already you have gotten a fair bit farther in this sort of thing than me: I've never found a non-sleeping (bugged) siege and I've never had more than 2 followers (even after killing 50 or 60 goblins).  I wonder what you are doing right...

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13377 on: December 27, 2016, 08:52:03 am »

1. I took superior social awareness. I don't know how it affects higher levels of fame, but at the beginning each level gives you one extra companion slot.

2. I pumped up a combat skill til the next level would cost ten skill points. I was proficient at hammer I think. I took archery related skills too, but that was a waste and I neglected reader, so I'll be experimenting with creative alternatives (like a bard writing the secrets of life and death into song lyrics and going all Dethclok on a tavern full of patrons.)

3. I savescummed whenever I ran into an issue that would cripple or kill me. Like the early bogeyman deaths I faced before building my house.

4. Every time I did something heroic I went home to Fatedhold and told the local Lady all about it. Then spread the word further to be sure it took.

As for the siege, I called it a siege but it isn't really. Everyone in it is from my home civ, they just seem to like gathering around Frosthearth for some reason. I took them for fanboys and grabbed the military people I could. There's one I never can get. His name is At something. He's a crossbowman I've been seeing around the area ever since I reported my first successful kill. He's always on a mission, never at his home. He seems to run some kind of animal pen near my southern entrance. I think it may be because his home is north of the river where I've settled and he may not be allowed to pass through the area anymore.

Eh, glitches. Dwarf Fortress wouldn't be half the game it is if it weren't for them.

I have noticed some quality of life stuff that would be wonderful to have. Like being able to craft your own bolts or arrows out of bones. I forget what else I wanted, but it's not like me saying them is going to make them happen any sooner.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13378 on: December 27, 2016, 09:45:43 am »

so uhh currently pick up some elms to make leather for my naked mayor now turn lady then became mayor again goblin character and figured what would happen if I mess with the race of the elm's eggs.
so now I got a fort of 12 goblin kids with no parents living in a dormitory and I'm no where close to figuring out how to get migrants on to my dfhacked town for this adventuress and her giant wolf companion who had 3 kids who grown up by now... also some how the giant wolf companion had another kid in the 3 years of raising her pups which makes me concerned.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13379 on: December 27, 2016, 04:44:59 pm »

Screwing with my entities in a big flavor mixup I got the weird result that human towns keep having squads of soldiers that I can bump into who are aggressive towards me but are not bandits I can just slaughter without pissing off a whole town.
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1104