Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104214 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13350 on: December 22, 2016, 04:48:59 am »

I've plenty of storage space in the house, with four barrels for food and water (three are watered) a chest and cabinet in the bedroom.

You should probably be able to go to a tavern and put the contents of a barrel into your backpack.  Then you can carry it back to your house and put it in one of your barrels.  Much better than water.  (it should work, but if worst comes to worst, you can take out a mug at a time and put it in your backpack -- the mug holds 3 booze).

You might want to tip the tavern keeper since you have stolen so much liquor, though :-)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13351 on: December 22, 2016, 11:45:23 am »

In the southeast corner...

...hailing from the human metropolis of Planwaves...

...weighing in at 349 Urists and so far undefeated...

...the current heavyweight champion...

...Kar Skybreaker...

...the Mellow Meditation...

...of Meat!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So yeah, I don't know why that is so much fun, but there it is, Anrizangrir, the Skycrusher, much harder to use than Anriznil, since you need some way to make sure your foes will be at the landing point rather than just riding them down, but damn it is a hoot.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13352 on: December 22, 2016, 12:36:55 pm »

I've plenty of storage space in the house, with four barrels for food and water (three are watered) a chest and cabinet in the bedroom.

You should probably be able to go to a tavern and put the contents of a barrel into your backpack.  Then you can carry it back to your house and put it in one of your barrels.  Much better than water.  (it should work, but if worst comes to worst, you can take out a mug at a time and put it in your backpack -- the mug holds 3 booze).

You might want to tip the tavern keeper since you have stolen so much liquor, though :-)

I didn't extensively explore the main hall of the area. I talked to the Lady of the place for a bit, found a lead on a quest, and recruited two others, a hammerman and an axman. Thank Armok for learning how to savescum in this game finally because we've run into enough situations to warrant it unless I want to abandon this character. Which I don't. He's probably my most successful character yet who didn't just go apeshit on his local area right from the beginning.

We're set for supplies for the moment, after one of us went berserk on a dingo and I took out a skunk. Companions don't eat and drink yet, do they? I look forward to the day when I have to worry about logistics to that level but I don't think it's today.

ETA: This looks ripe to be a very dark run. My character worships the local Goddess of Twilight (so naturally I pray to her at night.) while my companions worship our Goddess of Fame and our God of Revenge. I think it would be appropriate if I invaded a Goblin temple (I don't know if they have such things) toppled a statue, and became some cursed creature who did service to his human nation by skulking around killing off the goblin hordes. I already have a home I could fortify into a lair, and there's no problem creating chests and such to make into a treasure hoard.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:57:37 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13353 on: December 22, 2016, 03:20:31 pm »

They will drink if you give them booze in a mug, they'll also... err... consume anything you give them in a mug, even if it's a cage which they're somehow inside of.

Gobbos don't have pantheons normally, their gods are big scaly lizard bastards and huge eyeless porcupines that spit webs and live in their slade spires (unless someone drops it on them, heh) so no luck there. Their site layouts don't really support normal zones like that anyways, if you have a library at one it's just a ton of books in one of the troll pits with scholars biting each other to death, and I've yet to actually find the taverns that are supposedly present at a few that I've checked top to bottom, so there's no reason to expect a temple to show up as a big engraved block of stone somewhere.

If it was conquered by another civ which builds temples and libraries, THEN you could find one, I've seen human town style temples in forest retreats along with their enclosed library buildings after they had been ruling a forest retreat long enough in world-gen.

Also, I added huntsman spiders as a subterranean pet that hunts vermin like cats and whatnot, galloping around being goofy in dwarven sites right?

...for some reason that amuses the hell out of me.

"Oh shit, it's a yeti, look out!"
'I hope it doesn't eat anyone.'
"Nah, I think this one is brain-damaged."
'For a yeti? How could you tell?'
"It just ate a gigantic spider."
'Ah, definitely dropped as a yetibaby then.'

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13354 on: December 22, 2016, 08:02:50 pm »

That's alright. I can roleplay patriotism alongside a distaste for lighter gods and go knock over some rainbow lover's statue instead.

Next challenge: We took up a mission to kill some night creature that made its home in a lair about three days north of Frosthearth. I've gotten to the lair itself but am trying to figure out where the creature is. I've scoured the place from north to south, east to west (though maybe there's some nooks and crannies I didn't see) and the only answers that stick out to me are either: 1. He's not there anymore, or 2. He's in the trees watching us.

I'm hoping I've figured out the answer by the time someone replies, but just in case: How do you actually find your target once you reach the site?

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13355 on: December 22, 2016, 08:47:47 pm »

I've run across abandoned lairs as well sometimes. Maybe wait around for a day? Check legends about who inhabits it?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13356 on: December 22, 2016, 09:13:54 pm »

I found it. Didn't realize the compass actually had a guide to finding the lair. I tracked it right to the door and found something inside there. Unfortunately it was a bad battle in cramped spaces and I haven't quite grasped the basics of tactics yet. I'll savescum til I actually win without losing allies and body parts.

Would help if I'd bothered to find boots beforehand. I have armor everywhere else but my feet.

ETA: SUCCESS! The Skinny creature of the night mate has been struck down with no losses or injuries on my part. My allies got a few hits in, but I finished him off with the most hits in. Kill to me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:19:47 pm by Urist McVoyager »

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13357 on: December 22, 2016, 09:43:26 pm »

You found the door, right?

All the trolls I've encountered were either interrupting my sleep on a tavern, or I was breaking into their caves (whcih somehow have a door. Did they craft it themselves or did they rip it off some poor farmer's home?) to kill 'em.

Now the stuff related to my latest adventurer. I rolled a pikewoman. Woman because my last male dwarf suffered some... Disadvantages... I didn't pay attention and he turned out short. I blamme his mother for not drinking enough during her pregnancy (could that be a thing? Dwarven babies coming out weak and with no facial hair on the males if their moms don't get wasted every night for 9 months straight?).

Ok, so, he was short. So his wrestling moves weren't worth a troll's dung. And he kind of got gelded after a bear (female bear btw) wrestled his trousers off and scratched him on the lower body until the message "the geldables have been torn off!" appeared.

That's why I rolled a woman now. No geldables. And being a human gives me a size advantage against any goblins that try and mob me.

Ok, so, pike woman. Why did I choose a weapon that dwarves don't craft, therefore limiting me to iron at best? Because I'm done fighting the forces of evil. Super done. I mean, the gelded dwarf killed countless night trolls, tons of bandits and criminals, 3 towers worth of necromancers and zombies, and one vampire... And whenever he talked about it at a tavern, or told his lord of his deeds to complete his assignment, he was told that even tough he was a pleasure to speak with, he was also a killer (got spit by what I think was a relative of one of the persons that got turned into a night troll), that he was unhinged, and tavern keepers told me thwy wanted me to leave and charged me more to stay in their rooms or for their drinks.

So, screw saving the helpless and vanquishing evils, I'm going to beat animals to death, sell their innards and bones turned into trinkets, and use the coins to get wasted. I may not need the coins at all if I kill a great beast.

And an Hydra has its lair nearby. So for now I'll train with rhinos (killed 2 already) and later move on to bigger game. Maybe build a tower were I can put skulls on tables and stuff.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13358 on: December 22, 2016, 10:03:24 pm »

Now my only problem is that while I can spread the rumor of my fallen foe's presence in his lair, I can't spread the rumor of me killing him. I can brag about it, but that's it. I should have either butchered him if possible, or grabbed his corpse and dropped it at the Lady's feet.

Maybe next time. I bragged about it, which will work eventually.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13359 on: December 22, 2016, 10:18:22 pm »

Try telling it in a story. Tell the story about the site where you killed it.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13360 on: December 22, 2016, 10:21:46 pm »

Now my only problem is that while I can spread the rumor of my fallen foe's presence in his lair, I can't spread the rumor of me killing him. I can brag about it, but that's it. I should have either butchered him if possible, or grabbed his corpse and dropped it at the Lady's feet.

Maybe next time. I bragged about it, which will work eventually.

If he was the last thing you slew, just pick the "bring up event" option, press - to start going backwards on the list, and keep going backwards until you pass all the "spread rumor" options and arrive at the newest "summarize event in which you slew X".
there may be a lot of "slew X" if you encountered animals or stuff on the way back.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13361 on: December 22, 2016, 10:32:08 pm »

I went with the story idea first, but I might add that one, too. I've recruited a third partner, bringing my party's size up to four. A spearman, to go along with the axman and us two hammer. I think my next task is going to be returning to Frosthearth and building homes for everyone. It won't be difficult with four of us doing the work.

ETA: There we go. I found and reported the rumor about killing Amkash, and was thanked for it. So there's a success. Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 10:45:44 pm by Urist McVoyager »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13362 on: December 22, 2016, 11:51:55 pm »

And whenever he talked about it at a tavern, or told his lord of his deeds to complete his assignment, he was told that even tough he was a pleasure to speak with, he was also a killer (got spit by what I think was a relative of one of the persons that got turned into a night troll), that he was unhinged, and tavern keepers told me thwy wanted me to leave and charged me more to stay in their rooms or for their drinks.

I haven't quite figured this all out yet, but basically, if you attack someone unprovoked, then you get a reputation for being unhinged.  I've found that the people spreading the information that I was unhinged were my companions :-).  Also if you kill people, you may get a reputation for being a killer, depending on whether or not the listener thinks you were justified.  So if you kill a bandit, you will be lauded by the people who the bandit was pestering, but you might end up giving yourself a reputation as a killer with other people.  Being careful to spread the right rumours in the right places is important.  Also, I think if you kill some goblin lord, but the people you brag to are not at war with that goblin civ, then they may just think you are crazy.

Like I said, I haven't figured it all out yet, but it appears to have some logic.  One thing that was frustrating for one of my adventurers was that she started as a member of a brigand camp.  Despite all the good that she did and despite being well known as a protector of the weak, many tavern keepers refused her entry.  They would just tell her to leave.  I had her become a hearth person with another civ, but that didn't change anything.  People who knew she used to be a brigand just hated her.  A bit like real life ;-)

One thing I haven't tried is to start a performance troupe.  I've heard that this will make it quit your current civ.  I have no idea if that will pave over some of the negative views that people have of you or not.  I think DF adventure mode is a lot more nuanced than most people give it credit for.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13363 on: December 23, 2016, 12:04:50 am »

Reputation as a killer is just reputation that you killed someone. Reputation as a murderer is unjustified slaughter.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13364 on: December 23, 2016, 06:01:36 am »

And whenever he talked about it at a tavern, or told his lord of his deeds to complete his assignment, he was told that even tough he was a pleasure to speak with, he was also a killer (got spit by what I think was a relative of one of the persons that got turned into a night troll), that he was unhinged, and tavern keepers told me thwy wanted me to leave and charged me more to stay in their rooms or for their drinks.

I haven't quite figured this all out yet, but basically, if you attack someone unprovoked, then you get a reputation for being unhinged.  I've found that the people spreading the information that I was unhinged were my companions :-).  Also if you kill people, you may get a reputation for being a killer, depending on whether or not the listener thinks you were justified.  So if you kill a bandit, you will be lauded by the people who the bandit was pestering, but you might end up giving yourself a reputation as a killer with other people.  Being careful to spread the right rumours in the right places is important.  Also, I think if you kill some goblin lord, but the people you brag to are not at war with that goblin civ, then they may just think you are crazy.

Like I said, I haven't figured it all out yet, but it appears to have some logic.  One thing that was frustrating for one of my adventurers was that she started as a member of a brigand camp.  Despite all the good that she did and despite being well known as a protector of the weak, many tavern keepers refused her entry.  They would just tell her to leave.  I had her become a hearth person with another civ, but that didn't change anything.  People who knew she used to be a brigand just hated her.  A bit like real life ;-)

One thing I haven't tried is to start a performance troupe.  I've heard that this will make it quit your current civ.  I have no idea if that will pave over some of the negative views that people have of you or not.  I think DF adventure mode is a lot more nuanced than most people give it credit for.
well that's because it's technically a civ in of it's own it fits in with other historical entities like capital civs, their towns, nomad groups, military groups, and others I don't remember off my head.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1104