Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104241 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13305 on: December 17, 2016, 08:42:09 pm »

So, trying to see if I can purge these skulking vermin and complete this hearthperson quest. On plus side holy shit, this is legit the first time in ages I've seen a kobold cave that's ACTUALLY populated.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13306 on: December 17, 2016, 11:05:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13307 on: December 18, 2016, 02:02:25 am »

Holy shit. D:

So, guess what. I'm fucking astounded.

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

It's already a pleasant enough surprise that I ACTUALLY got to assault a cave that had kobolds in it, but on top of that my exterminating was enough to complete a quest I thought was bugged.

EDIT: I have since wiped out two bandit camps and an abandoned city that bandits had taken over, and now I may enjoy these times of peace. I would guess that, barring respawning glitches, the quests involving skirmishers or being at war are the ones inclined to bug.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:17:31 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13308 on: December 18, 2016, 12:33:27 pm »

just thought of something sinister.
since telling your companions to wait is a thing(which removes them from your party in fast travel) and spider folks(and some other animal folks with no fear) can not auto aggro bogeymen I wonder if one could set up a survival horde mode with a bunch of folks you recruited and forcing them to endure the cackling?
probably call it madam [insert randomly generated name here]'s Nocturne Knockout or something fitting.
the battles could be set up to last til knock out or death with roof set ups for the ref adventurer.

probably with modding to take any winning "fan favorite" bogeymen to cross over to the next night or be in day battles.

also known telling a companion to wait in a camp with their designated zone means they will wait in that zone which means building a containment center for best bogeyfighter.
then again this is another bogeyman wrestling federation idea out of many.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13309 on: December 18, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »

Num Muddyboots is in the town of Diefangs and after sometime wandering the wilds in its vicinity, he pays a visit to its keep.

At the outer wall's entrance there are lines of combat report: a spearman versus a goblin  corpse. There are teeth belonging to someone named Struslot Thomodnoloc (Hugsbattle) scattered outside the wall and in the courtyard, so Num scales the fortifications.
All normal. Num kills the already grounded corpse…
...and waits one hour to let the site offload to heal up Struslot the spearman, so he can return his equipment as NPCs never pick up things they've dropped.

The 1 hr wait loops Num into an odd groundhog day sequence.
The teeth no longer have any owner, the goblin corpse is now standing and there are plenty of allies.
Besides the benefit of getting a little more combat skill work in, the game has reloaded the corpse with a nice pink tourmaline slicing knife.

Num waits another hour, the site offloads and reloads and the fight begins again. This time Num jumps into the corpse twice sending it off the edge.
After burning all the corpses, Num waits 1 more hour...

Agility moves from abv average to high...
…but the skills remain largely unchanged after 4 repeat zombies. Just not willing to continue to farm this perpetual encounter.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13310 on: December 18, 2016, 01:41:33 pm »

At last, there is peace in the realm. But there are still bandits to bring justice to, great beasts to hunt. Alas, the chieftain doesn't know where the rest make their lairs.

So, I venture east, to the human settlments. Reptile man covered in bone armor and such, wielding a bone club, going into a human settlement? This can't end well.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13311 on: December 18, 2016, 07:24:07 pm »

Let's look at the dwarven soul. Here's the very first retirement, when Num Muddyboots was first rolled.
Mannerism and behavioral tick free!

Now, fast forward to the present. Here's the express emotions screen.
11 lines from the top: "great grouchiness eating the same old food."

Re-did the retirement.
2nd sentence: "He doesn't feel anything eating the same old food." Now that's great. While there's still this odd touchy annoyance with weather, the food issue is now a non-issue. So the slow movement from being petulant to not sweating the small things continues. Someone's growing up. Who knew?

Not sure though what's making him more thoughtless/rude. He doesn't engage in the exchange of values/beliefs conversation that NPCs enjoy having. I doubt it's the 2 week interval between retiring at this fort and unretiring the fort itself.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13312 on: December 18, 2016, 09:37:14 pm »

Let's look at the dwarven soul. Here's the very first retirement, when Num Muddyboots was first rolled.
Mannerism and behavioral tick free!

Now, fast forward to the present. Here's the express emotions screen.
11 lines from the top: "great grouchiness eating the same old food."

Re-did the retirement.
2nd sentence: "He doesn't feel anything eating the same old food." Now that's great. While there's still this odd touchy annoyance with weather, the food issue is now a non-issue. So the slow movement from being petulant to not sweating the small things continues. Someone's growing up. Who knew?

Not sure though what's making him more thoughtless/rude. He doesn't engage in the exchange of values/beliefs conversation that NPCs enjoy having. I doubt it's the 2 week interval between retiring at this fort and unretiring the fort itself.
all it takes is a conversation to alter one values if they agree or not. 2 weeks of talking could change a person.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13313 on: December 18, 2016, 09:44:18 pm »

Welp, I pulped an eternal thing. I think I made it too squishy.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13314 on: December 18, 2016, 10:06:44 pm »

all it takes is a conversation to alter one values if they agree or not. 2 weeks of talking could change a person.
That's generally true, but it seems unlikely in this case. All tests that I've run when tinkering with mannerisms have one of two set ups.

If the first action I perform in a new world is to gen a fort, then spawn all adventurers in that fort before retiring them to read thoughts, only 2 weeks pass.

The second way is to gen the adventurer first (which was what I did with Num Muddyboots), retire the adventurer in their home hillock/hamlet, then gen the fort, retire the fort, unretire the character and walk them over to the fort, etc, etc, in which 6 weeks pass.

For either method, no character ever had a change in personality facets during the elapsed time.

Changes to facets (affecting rudeness and thoughtlessness), are from adventure mode conversations I've guided. Which/what caused the changes, I've no idea. I think if you play a mute character, you'll never see a rudeness/thoughtlessness shift, the only change that's been consistent is confidence improves.

But yeah, I'm just not paying enough attention when doing convo w/NPCs.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13315 on: December 19, 2016, 05:03:15 am »

That's generally true, but it seems unlikely in this case. All tests that I've run when tinkering with mannerisms have one of two set ups.

If the first action I perform in a new world is to gen a fort, then spawn all adventurers in that fort before retiring them to read thoughts, only 2 weeks pass.

The second way is to gen the adventurer first (which was what I did with Num Muddyboots), retire the adventurer in their home hillock/hamlet, then gen the fort, retire the fort, unretire the character and walk them over to the fort, etc, etc, in which 6 weeks pass.

For either method, no character ever had a change in personality facets during the elapsed time.

Changes to facets (affecting rudeness and thoughtlessness), are from adventure mode conversations I've guided. Which/what caused the changes, I've no idea. I think if you play a mute character, you'll never see a rudeness/thoughtlessness shift, the only change that's been consistent is confidence improves.

For some reason (I think I read it somewhere around here/the wiki) I think the "currently more rude/shameless/whatever" is produced not because there's a dwarf convincing the others to be more rude/shameless/whatever, but because they are drinking booze.

There are a couple of ways which I can think of to do science on this:
A) fort with only wells, no booze.
B) get a pair of vampires (or maybe goblin citizens, seeing as they don't eat or drink [well, I think they don't. At least not in adv. mode]) in an enclosed corner of the fort. Let them socialize and see if they become more rude/shameless/whatever from interacting. Maybe a control group with access to booze, just to compare.

But I personally think it's because of the booze.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13316 on: December 19, 2016, 05:15:57 pm »

For some reason (I think I read it somewhere around here/the wiki) I think the "currently more rude/shameless/whatever" is produced not because there's a dwarf convincing the others to be more rude/shameless/whatever, but because they are drinking booze.

There are a couple of ways which I can think of to do science on this:
A) fort with only wells, no booze.
B) get a pair of vampires (or maybe goblin citizens, seeing as they don't eat or drink [well, I think they don't. At least not in adv. mode]) in an enclosed corner of the fort. Let them socialize and see if they become more rude/shameless/whatever from interacting. Maybe a control group with access to booze, just to compare.

But I personally think it's because of the booze.

uhh did  that one day and ended up with a pair of legendary bard goblins adventurers from telling stories to each other in a sealed dome.
that said didn't check to see if they became more rude.
"body swapping and YOU!"

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13317 on: December 20, 2016, 12:10:56 am »

SebasMarolo, I'm betting you're probably right. Besides rudeness and thoughtlessness, the confidence shift seems to also be booze related.

I had a character from August 2016 who lived in a fort for around 8 months. A heavy drinker and prolific killer, he arrived more shameless, less private, more rude, more thoughtless, and more confident (and really didn't change aside from being unable to fulfill his need to wander). All those facet shifts would appear to be booze affected. They were also facets that could shift due to booze. If you have a character who is completely shameless (3rd degree) booze can't produce any shift since he/she's already at end range.

Regarding the science, the problem with doing it purely fort mode is you don't have any control over citizen makeup in terms of personality facets; your starting 7 are who they are for better or worse. It's easier to make an adventurer, use specific facets (allow for shifts + use end range values that cannot change), then dupe the save a few times. Run the first iteration as a booze drinking mute. Run the second as a teetotaling mute. Third version is a teetotaling talker. Or something like that.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 12:15:53 am by peasant cretin »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13318 on: December 20, 2016, 12:38:20 am »

Go both my eyes scratched out, and now I'm blind. I've never experienced this... I'll try and figure out how to survive past this.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13319 on: December 20, 2016, 12:40:45 am »

Go both my eyes scratched out, and now I'm blind. I've never experienced this... I'll try and figure out how to survive past this.

Has resting cured it? Eyes have a surprisingly decent healing rate last I checked. Dunno if it counts as having sensory nerves or anything that might logically allow for permanent blindness.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1104